RemedySpot.com

Weight Gain After Surgery

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I gain a large amount of weight after surgery, close to 50 lbs, 25 of which i needed, the rest i don't -

It really upset me so i went to my surgeon, crying saying whats going on, i eat healthy, i can actually swallow veggies, explain.

I was told that in Achalasia patients our bodies think that they are starving. After surgery and we can eat normally our bodies get all excited and retain all the calories etc in anticipation of the "leaner times" because it was the pattern we have trained our bodies to follow.

I was told he can take up to 3 years of normal eating behaviour to reset the metabolism.

Its horrible, but all part of our illness -

Re: Primary Physician Visit

Dear Jo,

It's nice to hear from you. but it seems to me that you have had a somewhat unsatisfactory appointment.

Does your weight gain take you over-weight? If so, I suppose he was just concerned in the same way that he would be with any other patient. We should not be over-weight at our age for general health reasons, specifically heart and diabetes, etc. By the way, as you know, it's alright for me to talk (not) because I too have gained weight. I believe that our bodies adjust to the amount of food we are able to get down pre-myotomy and afterwards therefore we could live on fewer calories than seem normal to us. It's hard to deal with when you have spent a long time not being able to eat.

Where has the diagnosis of Barrett's come from? Is this the first you have heard of it? If so, as far as I know, you need to be on an acid-suppressant med. for a few months at quite a high dose. I think you need to clear that information up.

And you don't seem to have been given any help with coping with the spasms. Forgive me for being simplistic, but have you tried sucking ice cubes, as opposed to drinking water, when they occur?

I am sorry that you have not been given more information and help. It sounds to me like you need to go for a return visit before six months.

Love from Ann XX Jo Blauer <capmyjo (DOT) com> wrote:

I saw my primary care Dr last week. Not fun at all. He was surprised (not pleasantly) at my weight gain over the past year. Strange, but I remember my surgeon saying there would be a gain after the myotomy, and I know there are others on this board who have had a gain after surgery. He also wrote Barrett's as the diagnosis, but as far as I know my diagnosis is Achalasia ONLY. I asked for meds to help with spasms, but he said my blood pressure is too low at 110/80. Amazing as I have always had borderline high BP. He scheduled me for a six month follow up.....Gee, I can hardly wait.....NOT! Jo in Southwest Michigan

The all-new goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider.

Messenger - with free PC-PC calling and photo sharing.

• 4 years later...

Hi there ,

Can anyone share me their views on what role a nutritionist can play for weight

regain after bariatric surgery . There is no error from a surgeon point of view

so does anyone have a ppt or any matter to share with me.

Thanks in advance

Miloni

- Weight gain after surgery

Sent: Sep 22, 2011 5:58 PM

Hi there ,

Can anyone share me their views on what role a nutritionist can play for weight

regain after bariatric surgery . There is no error from a surgeon point of view

so does anyone have a ppt or any matter to share with me.

Thanks in advance

Miloni

Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

Miloni,The role goes way beyond behavior modification and should include a functional medicine approach to promote gut health...especially with the malabsorptive procedures. If the gut is not healthy, you can have a cascade of events unfold that affect thyroid, adrenals...not to mention immunity....which may lead to weight re-gain and deficiencies as we all have seen. Emphasis on phytonutrients cannot be stressed enough. You may write me off-list if desired. I just returned from an IFM conference which was simply amazing so have obtained some "pearls" you may find helpful.From: milo_shah@...

<milo_shah@...>Subject: Fw: Weight gain after surgery"Nutritionist " < >Date: Monday, September 26, 2011, 12:02 AMHi there ,Can anyone share me their views on what role a nutritionist can play for weight regain after bariatric surgery . There is no error from a surgeon point of view so does anyone have a ppt or any matter to share with me.Thanks in advance Miloni - Weight gain after surgerySent: Sep 22, 2011 5:58 PMHi there ,Can anyone share me their views on what role a nutritionist can play for weight regain after bariatric surgery . There is no error from a surgeon point of view so does anyone have a ppt or any matter to share with me.Thanks in advance Miloni Sent on my BlackBerry® from

Vodafone------------------------------------