RemedySpot.com

article

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

It seems these psychiatrists tend to give the maximum dosages of psych meds, then start piling on more. When Mark had that horrific reaction to Zoloft, the psychiatrist wanted to increase the dosage (double it) and 'see what happens'. He also wanted to add another drug (anti-psychotic) because of his continuous meltdowns. Funny thing is...the continuous meltdowns were caused by the first drug. He is completely off all meds, and back to his old 'Marky self'. He OCD's like crazy, but he's our happy little boy again. Mood altering medicine was a complete nightmare for our entire family.

Sara

article

The Miami Herald

Lawsuit: Drug mix killed boy

A disabled boy was lethally overmedicated, a lawsuit contends, as outrage continues over a child's suicide while on several drugs last month.

BY CAROL MARBIN MILLER cmarbin@miamiherald .com Wednesday, May 20, 2009Amid a wide-ranging debate over the proper use of mental health drugs on troubled children, the mother of a disabled boy who died in 2007 is claiming in a lawsuit the boy was overdosed by a cocktail of psychiatric drugs, including two powerful anti-psychotics.Martha Quesada, the mother of 12-year-old Denis Maltez, filed a wrongful death and medical malpractice lawsuit Monday in Miami-Dade circuit court, claiming Denis' psychiatrist, Dr. L. Kaplan, and the now-shuttered Rainbow Ranch group home overmedicated Denis and failed to properly monitor his condition.Denis, who was diagnosed with autism, died of serotonin syndrome, according to a 2007 autopsy by the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's office.The rare condition, which can be life-threatening, occurs when a combination of drugs -- particularly mental-health drugs -- causes the brain to produce an excess of serotonin, a chemical produced by nerve cells that regulates mood. The condition can cause rigidity and tremors, as well as confusion and high blood pressure, said Dr. Singer, a professor of neurology at the University of Miami's medical school."I miss him so much, " Quesada, 31, of Hialeah, said of her son, who died a week after Mother's Day. "This month, for me, is hard because of Mother's Day. This Saturday will be two years since he died. The last time I saw him it was Mother's Day.""I know I am happy, because I have two other children, " Quesada said. "But I am also sad, because my other son died. It's hard."Denis died May 23, 2007. He had gone by van with others from the group home to get a haircut at a local flea market. In the parking lot, he became aggressive, kicking and biting group home staff. An autopsy report said he became unresponsive shortly after staff restrained him while he lay on his stomach on a bench seat in the van.Quesada's lawsuit was filed amid a high-profile investigation by the Department of Children & Families into the death last month of Myers, a 7-year-old foster child who had been taking a cocktail of mental health drugs. DCF Secretary Sheldon appointed a task force to study 's case, and the use of psychiatric drugs on foster kids.'TOUGH' TO HANDLEKaplan did not return calls for comment. In a June 2007 article in The Miami Herald, Kaplan said "it's possible" Denis would have been sleepy at school if he had not been given his medications at the right times. But, Kaplan added, "I never saw him dopey or sleepy.""He was all over the place, a tough little guy to handle but very likeable, " the psychiatrist said at the time.Rainbow Ranch's owner, Glatt, whose group homes were shut down by the state in June 2007, could not be reached for comment.Denis, whose autism was severe, was sent by his mother to a state-funded group home in 2003 after he tried to choke his younger sister. Quesada never relinquished her right to raise the boy, but was afraid his violent outbursts were a danger to her two other children.According to the 28-page lawsuit, Glatt stopped taking Denis to doctors at Memorial Hospital after he arrived at the group home in May 2006, and substituted Kaplan "without the consent of [Denis's] mother." Kaplan was treating several group home clients, the suit claims.Kaplan prescribed and refilled four mental health drugs: Seroquel and Zyprexa, both anti-psychotic medications; Depakote, an anti-seizure drug sometimes used to stabilize moods; and Clonazepam, a tranquilizer. The lawsuit says the drugs were used "as chemical restraints to control Denis's behavior."Though some of the medications are not approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use on children and carry strong warnings about possible side-effects, Kaplan "took no steps to ensure that Denis was not suffering any adverse effects from these medications, " the suit claims.In fact, the suit claims, Kaplan examined the boy only once between between May 26, 2006 and May 23, 2007, the day Denis died.There were warning signs that the drugs may have been harming the boy, according to the suit, filed by by Fort Lauderdale attorneys Elena Abate and Talenfeld. In June 2006, teachers at Denis's school, Ruth Owens Kruse Educational Center, reported the boy was sleeping through class.UP AND DOWNActing on concerns from his teachers, Denis was hospitalized twice, first on July 17, 2006, at Miami Children's Hospital for emergency treatment, and, later on Aug. 4, 2006, at Baptist Hospital's emergency room. Doctors at Baptist recommended that the dosage of one of the drugs, Depakote, be reduced, the suit claims.The lawsuit says the dosage was, indeed, reduced, but then increased again about six months later. That winter, the suit claims, the Department of Children & Families child abuse hot line received a call that Denis was being overmedicated, and that Rainbow Ranch staff "were not seeking medical attention for Denis when he was overmedicated. "DCF would not discuss the investigation with a reporter Tuesday.

Dell Deals: Don't miss huge summer savings on popular laptops starting at $449.

Guest guest

Sara, I feel the same way; We had a similar experience with Karac. DIL finally

agrees with me--No more meds for Karac; however, it is a little late; the meds

have almost destroyed all of Karac's potential. I'm glad that Mark is back to

his happy self. Karac will never be the same. Pat K

Re: article

It seems these psychiatrists tend to give the maximum dosages of psych meds, then start piling on more. When Mark had that horrific reaction to Zoloft, the psychiatrist wanted to increase the dosage (double it) and 'see what happens'. He also wanted to add another drug (anti-psychotic) because of his continuous meltdowns. Funny thing is...the continuous meltdowns were caused by the first drug. He is completely off all meds, and back to his old 'Marky self'. He OCD's like crazy, but he's our happy little boy again. Mood altering medicine was a complete nightmare for our entire family.

Sara

article

The Miami Herald

A disabled boy was lethally overmedicated, a lawsuit contends, as outrage continues over a child's suicide while on several drugs last month.

BY CAROL MARBIN MILLER cmarbin@miamiherald .com

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Amid a wide-ranging debate over the proper use of mental health drugs on troubled children, the mother of a disabled boy who died in 2007 is claiming in a lawsuit the boy was overdosed by a cocktail of psychiatric drugs, including two powerful anti-psychotics.

Martha Quesada, the mother of 12-year-old Denis Maltez, filed a wrongful death and medical malpractice lawsuit Monday in Miami-Dade circuit court, claiming Denis' psychiatrist, Dr. L. Kaplan, and the now-shuttered Rainbow Ranch group home overmedicated Denis and failed to properly monitor his condition.

Denis, who was diagnosed with autism, died of serotonin syndrome, according to a 2007 autopsy by the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's office.

The rare condition, which can be life-threatening, occurs when a combination of drugs -- particularly mental-health drugs -- causes the brain to produce an excess of serotonin, a chemical produced by nerve cells that regulates mood. The condition can cause rigidity and tremors, as well as confusion and high blood pressure, said Dr. Singer, a professor of neurology at the University of Miami's medical school.

"I miss him so much, " Quesada, 31, of Hialeah, said of her son, who died a week after Mother's Day. "This month, for me, is hard because of Mother's Day. This Saturday will be two years since he died. The last time I saw him it was Mother's Day."

"I know I am happy, because I have two other children, " Quesada said. "But I am also sad, because my other son died. It's hard."

Denis died May 23, 2007. He had gone by van with others from the group home to get a haircut at a local flea market. In the parking lot, he became aggressive, kicking and biting group home staff. An autopsy report said he became unresponsive shortly after staff restrained him while he lay on his stomach on a bench seat in the van.

Quesada's lawsuit was filed amid a high-profile investigation by the Department of Children & Families into the death last month of Myers, a 7-year-old foster child who had been taking a cocktail of mental health drugs. DCF Secretary Sheldon appointed a task force to study 's case, and the use of psychiatric drugs on foster kids.

'TOUGH' TO HANDLE

Kaplan did not return calls for comment. In a June 2007 article in The Miami Herald, Kaplan said "it's possible" Denis would have been sleepy at school if he had not been given his medications at the right times. But, Kaplan added, "I never saw him dopey or sleepy."

"He was all over the place, a tough little guy to handle but very likeable, " the psychiatrist said at the time.

Rainbow Ranch's owner, Glatt, whose group homes were shut down by the state in June 2007, could not be reached for comment.

Denis, whose autism was severe, was sent by his mother to a state-funded group home in 2003 after he tried to choke his younger sister. Quesada never relinquished her right to raise the boy, but was afraid his violent outbursts were a danger to her two other children.

According to the 28-page lawsuit, Glatt stopped taking Denis to doctors at Memorial Hospital after he arrived at the group home in May 2006, and substituted Kaplan "without the consent of [Denis's] mother." Kaplan was treating several group home clients, the suit claims.

Kaplan prescribed and refilled four mental health drugs: Seroquel and Zyprexa, both anti-psychotic medications; Depakote, an anti-seizure drug sometimes used to stabilize moods; and Clonazepam, a tranquilizer. The lawsuit says the drugs were used "as chemical restraints to control Denis's behavior."

Though some of the medications are not approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use on children and carry strong warnings about possible side-effects, Kaplan "took no steps to ensure that Denis was not suffering any adverse effects from these medications, " the suit claims.

In fact, the suit claims, Kaplan examined the boy only once between between May 26, 2006 and May 23, 2007, the day Denis died.

There were warning signs that the drugs may have been harming the boy, according to the suit, filed by by Fort Lauderdale attorneys Elena Abate and Talenfeld. In June 2006, teachers at Denis's school, Ruth Owens Kruse Educational Center, reported the boy was sleeping through class.

UP AND DOWN

Acting on concerns from his teachers, Denis was hospitalized twice, first on July 17, 2006, at Miami Children's Hospital for emergency treatment, and, later on Aug. 4, 2006, at Baptist Hospital's emergency room. Doctors at Baptist recommended that the dosage of one of the drugs, Depakote, be reduced, the suit claims.

The lawsuit says the dosage was, indeed, reduced, but then increased again about six months later. That winter, the suit claims, the Department of Children & Families child abuse hot line received a call that Denis was being overmedicated, and that Rainbow Ranch staff "were not seeking medical attention for Denis when he was overmedicated. "

DCF would not discuss the investigation with a reporter Tuesday.

Guest guest

Doctors really don't know how the meds are metabolized. I had a nephew, who had severe ADHD. As a kid, he was put on Ritalin. He developed severe tics/ grimaces he never had before. They did not fully go away. Even though he got into law school, he still had lingering effects. He committed suicide on a family reunion cruise. I think the meds permanently messed up his brain chemistry.

Sara

article

The Miami Herald

BY CAROL MARBIN MILLER cmarbin@miamiherald .com Wednesday, May 20, 2009Amid a wide-ranging debate over the proper use of mental health drugs on troubled children, the mother of a disabled boy who died in 2007 is claiming in a lawsuit the boy was overdosed by a cocktail of psychiatric drugs, including two powerful anti-psychotics.Martha Quesada, the mother of 12-year-old Denis Maltez, filed a wrongful death and medical malpractice lawsuit Monday in Miami-Dade circuit court, claiming Denis' psychiatrist, Dr. L. Kaplan, and the now-shuttered Rainbow Ranch group home overmedicated Denis and failed to properly monitor his condition.Denis, who was diagnosed with autism, died of serotonin syndrome, according to a 2007 autopsy by the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's office.The rare condition, which can be life-threatening, occurs when a combination of drugs -- particularly mental-health drugs -- causes the brain to produce an excess of serotonin, a chemical produced by nerve cells that regulates mood. The condition can cause rigidity and tremors, as well as confusion and high blood pressure, said Dr. Singer, a professor of neurology at the University of Miami's medical school."I miss him so much, " Quesada, 31, of Hialeah, said of her son, who died a week after Mother's Day. "This month, for me, is hard because of Mother's Day. This Saturday will be two years since he died. The last time I saw him it was Mother's Day.""I know I am happy, because I have two other children, " Quesada said. "But I am also sad, because my other son died. It's hard."Denis died May 23, 2007. He had gone by van with others from the group home to get a haircut at a local flea market. In the parking lot, he became aggressive, kicking and biting group home staff. An autopsy report said he became unresponsive shortly after staff restrained him while he lay on his stomach on a bench seat in the van.Quesada's lawsuit was filed amid a high-profile investigation by the Department of Children & Families into the death last month of Myers, a 7-year-old foster child who had been taking a cocktail of mental health drugs. DCF Secretary Sheldon appointed a task force to study 's case, and the use of psychiatric drugs on foster kids.'TOUGH' TO HANDLEKaplan did not return calls for comment. In a June 2007 article in The Miami Herald, Kaplan said "it's possible" Denis would have been sleepy at school if he had not been given his medications at the right times. But, Kaplan added, "I never saw him dopey or sleepy.""He was all over the place, a tough little guy to handle but very likeable, " the psychiatrist said at the time.Rainbow Ranch's owner, Glatt, whose group homes were shut down by the state in June 2007, could not be reached for comment.Denis, whose autism was severe, was sent by his mother to a state-funded group home in 2003 after he tried to choke his younger sister. Quesada never relinquished her right to raise the boy, but was afraid his violent outbursts were a danger to her two other children.According to the 28-page lawsuit, Glatt stopped taking Denis to doctors at Memorial Hospital after he arrived at the group home in May 2006, and substituted Kaplan "without the consent of [Denis's] mother." Kaplan was treating several group home clients, the suit claims.Kaplan prescribed and refilled four mental health drugs: Seroquel and Zyprexa, both anti-psychotic medications; Depakote, an anti-seizure drug sometimes used to stabilize moods; and Clonazepam, a tranquilizer. The lawsuit says the drugs were used "as chemical restraints to control Denis's behavior."Though some of the medications are not approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use on children and carry strong warnings about possible side-effects, Kaplan "took no steps to ensure that Denis was not suffering any adverse effects from these medications, " the suit claims.In fact, the suit claims, Kaplan examined the boy only once between between May 26, 2006 and May 23, 2007, the day Denis died.There were warning signs that the drugs may have been harming the boy, according to the suit, filed by by Fort Lauderdale attorneys Elena Abate and Talenfeld. In June 2006, teachers at Denis's school, Ruth Owens Kruse Educational Center, reported the boy was sleeping through class.UP AND DOWNActing on concerns from his teachers, Denis was hospitalized twice, first on July 17, 2006, at Miami Children's Hospital for emergency treatment, and, later on Aug. 4, 2006, at Baptist Hospital's emergency room. Doctors at Baptist recommended that the dosage of one of the drugs, Depakote, be reduced, the suit claims.The lawsuit says the dosage was, indeed, reduced, but then increased again about six months later. That winter, the suit claims, the Department of Children & Families child abuse hot line received a call that Denis was being overmedicated, and that Rainbow Ranch staff "were not seeking medical attention for Denis when he was overmedicated. "DCF would not discuss the investigation with a reporter Tuesday.

Guest guest

What a tragedy. I know the meds damaged Karac's cognitive ability, and I believe they have caused his

"silent seizures". Pat K

Doctors really don't know how the meds are metabolized. I had a nephew, who had severe ADHD. As a kid, he was put on Ritalin. He developed severe tics/ grimaces he never had before. They did not fully go away. Even though he got into law school, he still had lingering effects. He committed suicide on a family reunion cruise. I think the meds permanently messed up his brain chemistry.

Sara

article

The Miami Herald

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Amid a wide-ranging debate over the proper use of mental health drugs on troubled children, the mother of a disabled boy who died in 2007 is claiming in a lawsuit the boy was overdosed by a cocktail of psychiatric drugs, including two powerful anti-psychotics.

Martha Quesada, the mother of 12-year-old Denis Maltez, filed a wrongful death and medical malpractice lawsuit Monday in Miami-Dade circuit court, claiming Denis' psychiatrist, Dr. L. Kaplan, and the now-shuttered Rainbow Ranch group home overmedicated Denis and failed to properly monitor his condition.

Denis, who was diagnosed with autism, died of serotonin syndrome, according to a 2007 autopsy by the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's office.

The rare condition, which can be life-threatening, occurs when a combination of drugs -- particularly mental-health drugs -- causes the brain to produce an excess of serotonin, a chemical produced by nerve cells that regulates mood. The condition can cause rigidity and tremors, as well as confusion and high blood pressure, said Dr. Singer, a professor of neurology at the University of Miami's medical school.

"I miss him so much, " Quesada, 31, of Hialeah, said of her son, who died a week after Mother's Day. "This month, for me, is hard because of Mother's Day. This Saturday will be two years since he died. The last time I saw him it was Mother's Day."

"I know I am happy, because I have two other children, " Quesada said. "But I am also sad, because my other son died. It's hard."

Denis died May 23, 2007. He had gone by van with others from the group home to get a haircut at a local flea market. In the parking lot, he became aggressive, kicking and biting group home staff. An autopsy report said he became unresponsive shortly after staff restrained him while he lay on his stomach on a bench seat in the van.

Quesada's lawsuit was filed amid a high-profile investigation by the Department of Children & Families into the death last month of Myers, a 7-year-old foster child who had been taking a cocktail of mental health drugs. DCF Secretary Sheldon appointed a task force to study 's case, and the use of psychiatric drugs on foster kids.

'TOUGH' TO HANDLE

Kaplan did not return calls for comment. In a June 2007 article in The Miami Herald, Kaplan said "it's possible" Denis would have been sleepy at school if he had not been given his medications at the right times. But, Kaplan added, "I never saw him dopey or sleepy."

"He was all over the place, a tough little guy to handle but very likeable, " the psychiatrist said at the time.

Rainbow Ranch's owner, Glatt, whose group homes were shut down by the state in June 2007, could not be reached for comment.

Denis, whose autism was severe, was sent by his mother to a state-funded group home in 2003 after he tried to choke his younger sister. Quesada never relinquished her right to raise the boy, but was afraid his violent outbursts were a danger to her two other children.

According to the 28-page lawsuit, Glatt stopped taking Denis to doctors at Memorial Hospital after he arrived at the group home in May 2006, and substituted Kaplan "without the consent of [Denis's] mother." Kaplan was treating several group home clients, the suit claims.

Kaplan prescribed and refilled four mental health drugs: Seroquel and Zyprexa, both anti-psychotic medications; Depakote, an anti-seizure drug sometimes used to stabilize moods; and Clonazepam, a tranquilizer. The lawsuit says the drugs were used "as chemical restraints to control Denis's behavior."

Though some of the medications are not approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use on children and carry strong warnings about possible side-effects, Kaplan "took no steps to ensure that Denis was not suffering any adverse effects from these medications, " the suit claims.

In fact, the suit claims, Kaplan examined the boy only once between between May 26, 2006 and May 23, 2007, the day Denis died.

There were warning signs that the drugs may have been harming the boy, according to the suit, filed by by Fort Lauderdale attorneys Elena Abate and Talenfeld. In June 2006, teachers at Denis's school, Ruth Owens Kruse Educational Center, reported the boy was sleeping through class.

UP AND DOWN

Acting on concerns from his teachers, Denis was hospitalized twice, first on July 17, 2006, at Miami Children's Hospital for emergency treatment, and, later on Aug. 4, 2006, at Baptist Hospital's emergency room. Doctors at Baptist recommended that the dosage of one of the drugs, Depakote, be reduced, the suit claims.

The lawsuit says the dosage was, indeed, reduced, but then increased again about six months later. That winter, the suit claims, the Department of Children & Families child abuse hot line received a call that Denis was being overmedicated, and that Rainbow Ranch staff "were not seeking medical attention for Denis when he was overmedicated. "

Guest guest

Both are a tragedy.

We had a friend who is one of the most sought after dermatologists in Florida. One day, my husband asked her why sunscreen blocks the harmful UV rays. She said, "I don't know", and really meant it. This woman graduated at the top of her class, her specialty was dermatology, yet she did not know how a simple thing like sunscreen worked. This is not an unusual incidence. Doctors don't always know the mechanics of medicines of how medicines work. Pharmaceutical reps 'teach' them about new medicines they are trying to sell, and the doctors follow their directions.

Sara

article

The Miami Herald

Guest guest

I think you are right. That is why I think it is so important that parents read and be informed and not just blindly accept what a doctor says just because he has an MD. Pat K

Both are a tragedy.

We had a friend who is one of the most sought after dermatologists in Florida. One day, my husband asked her why sunscreen blocks the harmful UV rays. She said, "I don't know", and really meant it. This woman graduated at the top of her class, her specialty was dermatology, yet she did not know how a simple thing like sunscreen worked. This is not an unusual incidence. Doctors don't always know the mechanics of medicines of how medicines work. Pharmaceutical reps 'teach' them about new medicines they are trying to sell, and the doctors follow their directions.

Sara

article

The Miami Herald

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

'TOUGH' TO HANDLE

UP AND DOWN

Shop Dell's full line of Laptops now starting at $349!

Guest guest

Indeed. Doctors are not 'god-like'. They just have some additional training. One of my older son's is starting medical school, and he's full of himself, and his knowledge thus far. The key word is 'full of himself'. He takes himself way too seriously. This is a cycle doctors have always wanted to perpetuate....demanding ultimate respect. They don't want their authority challenged. I'm sure you've seen the White Coat Study, where selected people walk into a room wearing a white medical (doctor's) coat, clipboard, and stethoscope, then later walk in wearing normal 'street clothes'? The unsuspecting 'audience' in the room would consistently give an overwhelming reaction of respect and attention to authority, to these random people wearing a white coat.

Sara

article

The Miami Herald

Guest guest

Yes, I am familiar with doctors. I worked at Medical City Hospital for the Dallas Diagnostic group for several years. My son worked for doctors as a LPT and he became very "full of himself" too.

Karac and I have had a good morning so far. We have been to the grocery store, and he was very helpful. He even washed the apples after we got home.

How has your morning been? What are the boys doing this summer? Karac doesn't have anything this next week, but after that he goes to smmer school. Yea, Yea, Love and blessings, Pat K

Indeed. Doctors are not 'god-like'. They just have some additional training. One of my older son's is starting medical school, and he's full of himself, and his knowledge thus far. The key word is 'full of himself'. He takes himself way too seriously. This is a cycle doctors have always wanted to perpetuate....demanding ultimate respect. They don't want their authority challenged. I'm sure you've seen the White Coat Study, where selected people walk into a room wearing a white medical (doctor's) coat, clipboard, and stethoscope, then later walk in wearing normal 'street clothes'? The unsuspecting 'audience' in the room would consistently give an overwhelming reaction of respect and attention to authority, to these random people wearing a white coat.

Sara

article

The Miami Herald

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

'TOUGH' TO HANDLE

UP AND DOWN

Guest guest

My kids don't have summer school, until July 6th. They've actually been pretty happy so far:)

Sara

article

The Miami Herald

Guest guest

What do they enjoy doing? Karac rides the bike, swims, shoots baskets, walks, colors, plays on computer a little, but he doesn't seem to have any passion for anything but eating. LOL, LOL LOL

My kids don't have summer school, until July 6th. They've actually been pretty happy so far:)

Sara

article

The Miami Herald

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

'TOUGH' TO HANDLE

UP AND DOWN

Guest guest

They love the computer and swimming pool.

Sara

article

The Miami Herald

Guest guest

What do they do on the computer? Can they swim year round?

They love the computer and swimming pool.

Sara

article

The Miami Herald

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

'TOUGH' TO HANDLE

UP AND DOWN

Guest guest

They primarily do my hiyah.net programs. (I just finished making all four seasons, and uploaded them on my site). also plays Jump Start 1st Grade Advanced, as well as on-line things such as Noggin, Starfall, etc.

The boys swim 8 months out of the year. Winter is too cold, and we don't have a solar heater.

I wish they had a horse riding option like Karac has. I love to ride.

Sara

article

The Miami Herald

Guest guest

Yipppeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I adore your programs...so does .

From: Sara <sarapoli@...>autism Sent: Friday, June 12, 2009 6:58:14 PMSubject: Re: article

They primarily do my hiyah.net programs. (I just finished making all four seasons, and uploaded them on my site). also plays Jump Start 1st Grade Advanced, as well as on-line things such as Noggin, Starfall, etc.

The boys swim 8 months out of the year. Winter is too cold, and we don't have a solar heater.

Sara

article

The Miami Herald

BY CAROL MARBIN MILLER cmarbin@miamiherald .com Wednesday, May 20, 2009Amid a wide-ranging debate over the proper use of mental health drugs on troubled children, the mother of a disabled boy who died in 2007 is claiming in a lawsuit the boy was overdosed by a cocktail of psychiatric drugs, including two powerful anti-psychotics.Martha Quesada, the mother of 12-year-old Denis Maltez, filed a wrongful death and medical malpractice lawsuit Monday in Miami-Dade circuit court, claiming Denis' psychiatrist, Dr. L. Kaplan, and the now-shuttered Rainbow Ranch group home overmedicated Denis and failed to properly monitor his condition.Denis, who was diagnosed with autism,

died of serotonin syndrome, according to a 2007 autopsy by the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's office.The rare condition, which can be life-threatening, occurs when a combination of drugs -- particularly mental-health drugs -- causes the brain to produce an excess of serotonin, a chemical produced by nerve cells that regulates mood. The condition can cause rigidity and tremors, as well as confusion and high blood pressure, said Dr. Singer, a professor of neurology at the University of Miami's medical school."I miss him so much, " Quesada, 31, of Hialeah, said of her son, who died a week after Mother's Day. "This month, for me, is hard because of Mother's Day. This Saturday will be two years since he died. The last time I saw him it was Mother's Day.""I know I am happy, because I have two other children, " Quesada said. "But I am also sad, because my other son died. It's hard."Denis died May 23, 2007. He had gone by

van with others from the group home to get a haircut at a local flea market. In the parking lot, he became aggressive, kicking and biting group home staff. An autopsy report said he became unresponsive shortly after staff restrained him while he lay on his stomach on a bench seat in the van.Quesada's lawsuit was filed amid a high-profile investigation by the Department of Children & Families into the death last month of Myers, a 7-year-old foster child who had been taking a cocktail of mental health drugs. DCF Secretary Sheldon appointed a task force to study 's case, and the use of psychiatric drugs on foster kids.'TOUGH' TO HANDLEKaplan did not return calls for comment. In a June 2007 article in The Miami Herald, Kaplan said "it's possible" Denis would have been sleepy at school if he had not been given his medications at the right times. But, Kaplan added, "I never saw him dopey or

sleepy.""He was all over the place, a tough little guy to handle but very likeable, " the psychiatrist said at the time.Rainbow Ranch's owner, Glatt, whose group homes were shut down by the state in June 2007, could not be reached for comment.Denis, whose autism was severe, was sent by his mother to a state-funded group home in 2003 after he tried to choke his younger sister. Quesada never relinquished her right to raise the boy, but was afraid his violent outbursts were a danger to her two other children.According to the 28-page lawsuit, Glatt stopped taking Denis to doctors at Memorial Hospital after he arrived at the group home in May 2006, and substituted Kaplan "without the consent of [Denis's] mother." Kaplan was treating several group home clients, the suit claims.Kaplan prescribed and refilled four mental health drugs: Seroquel and Zyprexa, both anti-psychotic medications; Depakote, an

anti-seizure drug sometimes used to stabilize moods; and Clonazepam, a tranquilizer. The lawsuit says the drugs were used "as chemical restraints to control Denis's behavior."Though some of the medications are not approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use on children and carry strong warnings about possible side-effects, Kaplan "took no steps to ensure that Denis was not suffering any adverse effects from these medications, " the suit claims.In fact, the suit claims, Kaplan examined the boy only once between between May 26, 2006 and May 23, 2007, the day Denis died.There were warning signs that the drugs may have been harming the boy, according to the suit, filed by by Fort Lauderdale attorneys Elena Abate and Talenfeld. In June 2006, teachers at Denis's school, Ruth Owens Kruse Educational Center, reported the boy was sleeping through class.UP AND DOWNActing on concerns from his teachers,

Denis was hospitalized twice, first on July 17, 2006, at Miami Children's Hospital for emergency treatment, and, later on Aug. 4, 2006, at Baptist Hospital's emergency room. Doctors at Baptist recommended that the dosage of one of the drugs, Depakote, be reduced, the suit claims.The lawsuit says the dosage was, indeed, reduced, but then increased again about six months later. That winter, the suit claims, the Department of Children & Families child abuse hot line received a call that Denis was being overmedicated, and that Rainbow Ranch staff "were not seeking medical attention for Denis when he was overmedicated. "DCF would not discuss the investigation with a reporter Tuesday.

Guest guest

Thanks e. I hope he likes them. likes the winter one the best, because it plays one of his favorite pieces of music...The Four Seasons - Winter by Vivaldi.

Sara

article

The Miami Herald

Guest guest

I figured that they must love your hiyah net programs; they are wonderful. I'll check out the four seasons.

Eight months of the year is good. Yes I wish they had the horse back riding option; it has been so good for Karac.

Tomorrow I am taking Karac to 's Day at our NorthPark Mall. It is just for autistic kids. Karac enjoys that. The manager of one of our TV stations has an autistic daughter and he puts it on for her birthday. Pat K

Sara

article

The Miami Herald

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

'TOUGH' TO HANDLE

UP AND DOWN

Guest guest

he loves them...actually is mesmerized by them...I'm going to take a look at them now.

j

From: Sara <sarapoli@...>autism Sent: Friday, June 12, 2009 7:12:16 PMSubject: Re: article

Thanks e. I hope he likes them. likes the winter one the best, because it plays one of his favorite pieces of music...The Four Seasons - Winter by Vivaldi.

Sara

article

The Miami Herald

BY CAROL MARBIN MILLER cmarbin@miamiherald .com Wednesday, May 20, 2009Amid a wide-ranging debate over the proper use of mental health drugs on troubled children, the mother of a disabled boy who died in 2007 is claiming in a lawsuit the boy was overdosed by a cocktail of psychiatric drugs, including two powerful anti-psychotics.Martha Quesada, the mother of 12-year-old Denis Maltez, filed a wrongful death and medical malpractice lawsuit Monday in Miami-Dade circuit court, claiming Denis' psychiatrist, Dr. L. Kaplan, and the now-shuttered Rainbow Ranch group home overmedicated Denis and failed to properly monitor his condition.Denis, who was diagnosed with autism,

died of serotonin syndrome, according to a 2007 autopsy by the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's office.The rare condition, which can be life-threatening, occurs when a combination of drugs -- particularly mental-health drugs -- causes the brain to produce an excess of serotonin, a chemical produced by nerve cells that regulates mood. The condition can cause rigidity and tremors, as well as confusion and high blood pressure, said Dr. Singer, a professor of neurology at the University of Miami's medical school."I miss him so much, " Quesada, 31, of Hialeah, said of her son, who died a week after Mother's Day. "This month, for me, is hard because of Mother's Day. This Saturday will be two years since he died. The last time I saw him it was Mother's Day.""I know I am happy, because I have two other children, " Quesada said. "But I am also sad, because my other son died. It's hard."Denis died May 23, 2007. He had gone by

van with others from the group home to get a haircut at a local flea market. In the parking lot, he became aggressive, kicking and biting group home staff. An autopsy report said he became unresponsive shortly after staff restrained him while he lay on his stomach on a bench seat in the van.Quesada's lawsuit was filed amid a high-profile investigation by the Department of Children & Families into the death last month of Myers, a 7-year-old foster child who had been taking a cocktail of mental health drugs. DCF Secretary Sheldon appointed a task force to study 's case, and the use of psychiatric drugs on foster kids.'TOUGH' TO HANDLEKaplan did not return calls for comment. In a June 2007 article in The Miami Herald, Kaplan said "it's possible" Denis would have been sleepy at school if he had not been given his medications at the right times. But, Kaplan added, "I never saw him dopey or

sleepy.""He was all over the place, a tough little guy to handle but very likeable, " the psychiatrist said at the time.Rainbow Ranch's owner, Glatt, whose group homes were shut down by the state in June 2007, could not be reached for comment.Denis, whose autism was severe, was sent by his mother to a state-funded group home in 2003 after he tried to choke his younger sister. Quesada never relinquished her right to raise the boy, but was afraid his violent outbursts were a danger to her two other children.According to the 28-page lawsuit, Glatt stopped taking Denis to doctors at Memorial Hospital after he arrived at the group home in May 2006, and substituted Kaplan "without the consent of [Denis's] mother." Kaplan was treating several group home clients, the suit claims.Kaplan prescribed and refilled four mental health drugs: Seroquel and Zyprexa, both anti-psychotic medications; Depakote, an

anti-seizure drug sometimes used to stabilize moods; and Clonazepam, a tranquilizer. The lawsuit says the drugs were used "as chemical restraints to control Denis's behavior."Though some of the medications are not approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use on children and carry strong warnings about possible side-effects, Kaplan "took no steps to ensure that Denis was not suffering any adverse effects from these medications, " the suit claims.In fact, the suit claims, Kaplan examined the boy only once between between May 26, 2006 and May 23, 2007, the day Denis died.There were warning signs that the drugs may have been harming the boy, according to the suit, filed by by Fort Lauderdale attorneys Elena Abate and Talenfeld. In June 2006, teachers at Denis's school, Ruth Owens Kruse Educational Center, reported the boy was sleeping through class.UP AND DOWNActing on concerns from his teachers,

Denis was hospitalized twice, first on July 17, 2006, at Miami Children's Hospital for emergency treatment, and, later on Aug. 4, 2006, at Baptist Hospital's emergency room. Doctors at Baptist recommended that the dosage of one of the drugs, Depakote, be reduced, the suit claims.The lawsuit says the dosage was, indeed, reduced, but then increased again about six months later. That winter, the suit claims, the Department of Children & Families child abuse hot line received a call that Denis was being overmedicated, and that Rainbow Ranch staff "were not seeking medical attention for Denis when he was overmedicated. "DCF would not discuss the investigation with a reporter Tuesday.

• 2 years later...

Hi & All,

I found the article on the blak salve I told everyone about a couple or

so weeks ago. The web link did not work but I have it in PDF format if

anyone wants to contact me for it.

I will be glad to send it to you as an attachment.

What is the web link ? If you can get to it maybe someone else can? Is that the one you posted that wouldn't open?

In a message dated 12/3/2011 8:34:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, thisgospel24@... writes:

Hi & All,I found the article on the blak salve I told everyone about a couple orso weeks ago. The web link did not work but I have it in PDF format ifanyone wants to contact me for it.I will be glad to send it to you as an attachment.

• 8 months later...
Guest guest

Dear ,

Thank you for sending your article. (I tried to send a post earlier today but my

outbox doesn't seem to be working so this may be the second.) Women deserve to

be told the truth! I've had the best luck getting letters to the editor in the

Washington Post, and some other papers. Thursday I sent two articles to three

diocesan papers, CNS, and Catholic Mom- but I only heard from Catholic Mom

which may be taking new contributors as of September.

The Washington Post had emailed me (after I sent them the Hercules links) that

they would consider an oped on the subject. I have worked on it but feel

inadequate to the task. When I've written letters to the Post that were

published I try to keep in mind that I want to tell the whole truth- without

jargon, without name calling, and while remembering that others may think they

are doing what is best. I want to make a case that they may agree with on some

level and sneak up on them, with a conclusion that will challenge them.

Of course what's happening now seems to be Facebook, Twitter, blogs, and

Pinterest. LIke you I often have priests or theologically faithful, prayerful

friends check whatever I write. I don't want to make a mistake and hurt someone

spiritually or some other way. That makes all this instant communication seem

frightening to me. Facebook is so easy to add content to but I don't like to use

it except to get news from organizations and people I care about but don't see.

My page is not visible.

Blogs are where it is too-people follow them, reference them, tweet about them-

real time and technologically steep. However, it's what reaches the culture and

younger people so we need to work on it. I got a tweet from the National

Catholic Register about this excellent blog post

http://thecatholicwife.net/2012/07/30/sit-down-and-serve-your-spouse/.

Our friend Sam Fatzinger, who has twelve children living, and just lost a baby

at 5 months has an amazing blog too: http://babystepsjmj.blogspot.com/

Will send back comments on your article via my gmail account to just you.

Peace and prayers,

Jean

Aug 3, 2012 10:06:28 AM, wrote:

===========================================

Dear here is a recent article i wrote about the effect of the mandate on

my husband and my practice and i incorporated the recent ruling about Hercules

industry in the last paragraph. Fr Velez was kind enough to critique it and

add some changes which have been included. If you wish to forward it on, please

do so, or if you believe it has merit, please advise where I should send.

Blessings, Dr. Peck, MD, CCD, ABFM, Marquette NFP InstructorPecks Family

Practice, PLC1688 W Granada Blvd, Ste 2 .