RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

RE: Salicylates in coffee and tea

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I believe decaf is low in sals. When I tried the sal-free diet a year ago, I

was on decaf for a month. I wish I knew why the diet didn't work for me.

Cheers,

Becca

>

>

> I've read various places that coffees and teas contain salicylates, but cannot

find the specific information I'm looking for.

>

> Does that include decaffeinated coffees and teas?

>

> What about green teas (hot and cold)? Are they decaffeinated?

>

> How much salicylates does a cup of hot coffee or hot tea contain (regular and

decalf)?

>

> I usually have a cup of decaf coffee in the morning, and one or two cups of

hot teas during the day (both green and decaf). I also tried eliminating them

for 2 weeks to see if it helped my sampters any, but I didn't notice any

improvement.

>

> Also seem to remember someone on this board stating they avoided coffees and

teas for almost 2 months before they saw any improvements.

>

> Just curious what others have discovered and how many of you react (and what

are the reactions) when you drink coffee or tea.

>

> Thanks

>

> Jack

>

Guest guest

Jackbefore I was desensitized I had a HUGE and almost immediate response to my constant sneezing, itching in ears, itchy nose and eyes by stopping regular caffeinated coffee. I did switch to decaffeinated before I just quit coffee all together. I've heard that the process that makes the coffee decaffeinated eliminates the salicylates in the coffee bean. before stopping caffeinated coffee I was taking literally 3-4 claritin D 24 hour pills in a 24 hour period for some relief. After I stopped drinking the coffee I seriously did not have to buy any claritin for a good 3 months which was a HUGE and noticeable change for me. BiancaFrom:

stuffyintexas <stuffyintexas@...>Subject: Salicylates in coffee and teasamters Date: Monday, January 25, 2010, 5:25 PM

I've read various places that coffees and teas contain salicylates, but cannot find the specific information I'm looking for.

Does that include decaffeinated coffees and teas?

What about green teas (hot and cold)? Are they decaffeinated?

How much salicylates does a cup of hot coffee or hot tea contain (regular and decalf)?

I usually have a cup of decaf coffee in the morning, and one or two cups of hot teas during the day (both green and decaf). I also tried eliminating them for 2 weeks to see if it helped my sampters any, but I didn't notice any improvement.

Also seem to remember someone on this board stating they avoided coffees and teas for almost 2 months before they saw any improvements.

Just curious what others have discovered and how many of you react (and what are the reactions) when you drink coffee or tea.

Thanks

Jack

Guest guest

Becca, I tried the diet too and did have a slight relief - I did have a huge response to not drinking caffeinated coffee - but I really think that this crap we are allergic to is just in so many things that it's close to impossible to avoid it. BiancaFrom: <rebeebit@...>Subject: Re: Salicylates in coffee and teasamters Date: Monday, January 25, 2010, 6:30 PM

I believe decaf is low in sals. When I tried the sal-free diet a year ago, I was on decaf for a month. I wish I knew why the diet didn't work for me.

Cheers,

Becca

>

>

> I've read various places that coffees and teas contain salicylates, but cannot find the specific information I'm looking for.

>

>

>

> How much salicylates does a cup of hot coffee or hot tea contain (regular and decalf)?

>

> I usually have a cup of decaf coffee in the morning, and one or two cups of hot teas during the day (both green and decaf). I also tried eliminating them for 2 weeks to see if it helped my sampters any, but I didn't notice any improvement.

>

> Also seem to remember someone on this board stating they avoided coffees and teas for almost 2 months before they saw any improvements.

>

> Just curious what others have discovered and how many of you react (and what are the reactions) when you drink coffee or tea.

>

> Thanks

>

> Jack

>

Guest guest

Thank you all.

I printed out a list of foods that contain salicylates, and it seems some of the

fruits and vegetables I eat regularly contain salicylates, but I don't know how

much, or how much triggers my reactions if any.

I'll stick to decaf coffee and tea for the next month or so, and also try to

avoid foods on that list, and see if anything significantly improves.

Let see....if I avoid everything that contains salicylates, carrageenans, and

sulfites, I get to eat rice and drink water for every meal. Oh joy! :)

>

> From: stuffyintexas <stuffyintexas@...>

> Subject: Salicylates in coffee and tea

> samters

> Date: Monday, January 25, 2010, 5:25 PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>  

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I've read various places that coffees and teas contain salicylates, but cannot

find the specific information I'm looking for.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> How much salicylates does a cup of hot coffee or hot tea contain (regular and

decalf)?

>

>

>

> I usually have a cup of decaf coffee in the morning, and one or two cups of

hot teas during the day (both green and decaf). I also tried eliminating them

for 2 weeks to see if it helped my sampters any, but I didn't notice any

improvement.

>

>

>

> Also seem to remember someone on this board stating they avoided coffees and

teas for almost 2 months before they saw any improvements.

>

>

>

> Just curious what others have discovered and how many of you react (and what

are the reactions) when you drink coffee or tea.

>

>

>

> Thanks

>

>

>

> Jack

>

Guest guest

Before desens I had no problem with coffee, but tea was terrible. On Jan 26, 2010, at 6:27 PM, stuffyintexas wrote:

Thank you all.

I printed out a list of foods that contain salicylates, and it seems some of the fruits and vegetables I eat regularly contain salicylates, but I don't know how much, or how much triggers my reactions if any.

I'll stick to decaf coffee and tea for the next month or so, and also try to avoid foods on that list, and see if anything significantly improves.

Let see....if I avoid everything that contains salicylates, carrageenans, and sulfites, I get to eat rice and drink water for every meal. Oh joy! :)

>

> From: stuffyintexas <stuffyintexas@...>

> Subject: Salicylates in coffee and tea

> samters

> Date: Monday, January 25, 2010, 5:25 PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Â

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I've read various places that coffees and teas contain salicylates, but cannot find the specific information I'm looking for.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> How much salicylates does a cup of hot coffee or hot tea contain (regular and decalf)?

>

>

>

> I usually have a cup of decaf coffee in the morning, and one or two cups of hot teas during the day (both green and decaf). I also tried eliminating them for 2 weeks to see if it helped my sampters any, but I didn't notice any improvement.

>

>

>

> Also seem to remember someone on this board stating they avoided coffees and teas for almost 2 months before they saw any improvements.

>

>

>

> Just curious what others have discovered and how many of you react (and what are the reactions) when you drink coffee or tea.

>

>

>

> Thanks

>

>

>

> Jack

>

Guest guest

Somehow the decafination process removes the sals too so thankfully we can have decaf teas and coffee. That goes for green teas too. As far as I know the "colour" of the tea makes no difference - white, green and black teas need to be decafinated.

As for herbal teas - I have no info on them but would assume they have sals.

I stick fairly strictly to a low sals diet and was concerned to find the rash on my legs seemed to be getting worse no mater what I did. Turns out it was my laundry detergent which I have become allergic too.!! One more thing to add to the "no go" list.

samters From: stuffyintexas@...Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 02:25:58 +0000Subject: Salicylates in coffee and tea

I've read various places that coffees and teas contain salicylates, but cannot find the specific information I'm looking for.Does that include decaffeinated coffees and teas?What about green teas (hot and cold)? Are they decaffeinated?How much salicylates does a cup of hot coffee or hot tea contain (regular and decalf)?I usually have a cup of decaf coffee in the morning, and one or two cups of hot teas during the day (both green and decaf). I also tried eliminating them for 2 weeks to see if it helped my sampters any, but I didn't notice any improvement. Also seem to remember someone on this board stating they avoided coffees and teas for almost 2 months before they saw any improvements.Just curious what others have discovered and how many of you react (and what are the reactions) when you drink coffee or tea.ThanksJack