RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Heart Rate

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My doc gave me a heart monitor a few months back after complaining for

so long. He told me to only call in with symptoms when they were really

bad(the company wants call ins on everything).

I did not wear it but only put it on when I had the symptoms. Even at

my worst times of very rapid heart beat everything was ok.

The only conclusion was that I am so in tune with my body because of

all the pain that I am now very aware of my heart beat.

Still feel that it is more rapid at certain times. So, heart issues

ruled out which was a relief but still no reasons why it is happening.

Guest guest

> just a quick question, do people always have a low heart rate when hypo?

No, i don't think so. My pulse has always been quite fast (bit less since I

stopped smoking though). Ray Peat said hypothyroid people produce more

adrenaline

http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/ray-peat.htm

" I consider even the lowest TSH within the " normal range " to be consistent with

hypothyroidism; in good health, very little TSH is needed. When the thyroid

function is low, the body often compensates by over-producing adrenalin. The

daily production of adrenalin is sometimes 30 or 40 times higher than normal in

hypothyroidism. The adrenalin tends to sustain blood sugar in spite of the

metabolic inefficiency of hypothyroidism, and it can help to maintain core body

temperature by causing vasoconstriction in the skin, but it also disturbs the

sleep and accelerates the heart. During the night, cycles of rising adrenalin

can cause nightmares, wakefulness, worry, and a pounding heart. Occasionally, a

person who has chronically had a heart rate of 150 beats per minute or higher,

will have a much lower heart rate after using a thyroid supplement for a few

days. If your temperature or heart rate is lower after breakfast than before,

it's likely that they were raised as a result of the nocturnal increase of

adrenalin and cortisol caused by hypothyroidism. "

http://www.tpa-uk.org.uk/symptoms_hypot.pdf

Blood pressure & pulse:

& #56256; & #56457; High blood pressure

& #56256; & #56457; Low blood pressure

& #56256; & #56457; Slow/weak pulse (under 60 bpm)

& #56256; & #56457; Fast pulse (over 90 bpm at rest)

>

> Hi all,

> just a quick question, do people always have a low heart rate when hypo?

Because mine isnt that low average 83 bpm. I`m not on any medication or havent

had a diagnosis as of yet, i`ve got my first Endo appointment with a Prof at

" The big hospital " in Cambridge on the 27th March (It cant come quick

enough!)I`m hoping that i get taken seriously and get treated.

>

> Many thanks

>

> Caz

>

Guest guest

> just a quick question, do people always have a low heart rate when hypo? Because mine isnt that low average 83 bpm. I`m not on any medication or havent had a diagnosis as of yet, i`ve got my first Endo appointment with a Prof at "The big hospital" in Cambridge on the 27th March (It cant come quick enough!)I`m hoping that i get taken seriously and get treated.

Hi Caz,

No, not all hypothyroid patients suffer from bradycardia (low heartbeat) ... I don't. I have got Hashimoto's and my heartbeat is at rest between 80 and 90, much higher under any kind of stress, physically or mentally. This high pulse rate started about 14 years ago, with the onset of menopause and its debilitating hot flushes. In my case it is clearly a sign for weak adrenal function. Taking thyroid hormone (NDT) has not increased my heart rate either, which is worth noting, because you might get told at times that thyroid hormone will always raise your heart rate.... it didn't in my case and I do believe that thyroid hormone will make you tachycardic only when the thyroid replacement level is too high (induced hyperthyroidism).

Dr. Skinner emphasises in his book "Diagnosis and Management of Hypothyroidism" – quote –

An interesting and critical diagnostic point is that a number of severely hypothyroid patients can have a tachycardia and not bradycardia presumably relating to a compensatory mechanism to drive thyroid hormone to thyroid-starved body tissues or perhaps driven by the adrenal glands or even by chronic anxiety which patients reasonably experience from the manifold symptoms of hypothyroidism. It is a therapeutic delight when tachycardia is reduced by thyroid replacement and most patients are aware of their change in heart rate without taking their pulse. I emphasise that absence of bradycardia or presence of tachycardia should never be taken to exclude a diagnosis of hypothyroidism – unquote.

Good luck with your appointment on 27th in Cambridge and fingers crossed that you will get diagnosed and treated. Please remember to ask for hard copies of all your test results (no doubt they will do blood tests). If your blood parameters will not show positive results you might be told that there is nothing wrong... please don't despair. Just post your results on here, and hopefully we can help with your next step by pointing you in the right direction.

Doctors only go by blood results – that is what they are taught to do and they are sticking to it ... very few look at the patient and the clinical signs and symptoms. Bear in mind that by the time your TFT (thyroid function test) is clearly positive (with a TSH above the ref range and FT4 and FT3 below the ref range), about 75% of your thyroid gland will already no longer function (either due to destruction by autoantibodies or due to other causes). You can have clinical signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism years before that. In addition those blood results can erroneously look "normal" in the presence of thyroid autoantibodies. So please make sure that the Prof will order TPO & TgAB in addition to a TFT – those are thyroid antibodies and if their count were positive, that alone (regardless of TFT figures) would be diagnostic for Hashimoto's disease.... although you might be told otherwise by your doctor - it's a rocky road we are on....

Good luck and best wishes,

Guest guest

> No, i don't think so. My pulse has always been quite fast (bit less since I stopped smoking though). Ray Peat said hypothyroid people produce more adrenaline > > http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/ray-peat.htmThankyou for that Chris. I`m just worried that if i do go on medication, it will make my heart faster, i already get palpitations, i worry about things like that.Caz