RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Lugol's -- How much molecular iodine (I2) does it contain?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Did you ever wonder why "iodine" is said to be purple? In fact the name "iodine" comes from its violet vapor.

On the other hand, tincture of iodine and Lugol's are both brownish.

It is because tincture of iodine and Lugol's have forms of iodine other than molecular iodine (I2). And these other forms of iodine are brown.

See Gottardi: Iodine and Iodine Compounds Gottardi W Chapter 8 in Block, SS. Disinfection, Sterilization, and Preservation, 4th edition. Lea & Febiger, 1991, pp 152-165.

http://iodine4health.com/special/forms_of_iodine.htm

Zoe

I have always believed that Lugol's Solution contained 5% molecular iodine (I2) and 10% Potassium Iodide (KI).

However, I was wrong. While it IS true that you MAKE Lugol's by adding 5% molecular iodine and 10% Potassium Iodide to water, ONCE THEY ARE ADDED TO WATER, the forms change and the molecular iodine (I2) virtually disappears.

There is a chemical reaction that results in almost all (99.66%) of the iodine (I2) being transformed into triiodide (I3-).

Thus, although Lugol's is made with 5% molecular iodine (I2), the resulting product contains only .34% molecular iodine. That works out to 170 ppm (parts per million) of I2 in Lugol's.

Thus, while Lugol's still contains the same amount of total iodine (molecular iodine (I2) + Iodide (I- from the potassium iodide) + triiodide (I3-)), it actually only contains a tiny amount of molecular iodine (I2).

I don't understand yet what this means in terms of the effect of Lugol's on the body. I do know that Eskin & Ghent's experiments on iodine and the breast found that the breast prefers molecular iodine (I2).

I also know that Abraham bases much of his argument on the work of Eskin & Ghent and that he is continually mentioning the importance of having a formula that contains molecular iodine (I2) as well as iodide.

I don't know what happens to triiodide in the body. And I don't know what happens in the process of manufacturing Iodoral.

If you want to read more about this, check out this article by Gottardi on the aqueous chemistry of iodine (i.e., how iodine behaves in water):

Iodine and Iodine Compounds Gottardi W Chapter 8 in Block, SS. Disinfection, Sterilization, and Preservation, 4th edition. Lea & Febiger, 1991, pp 152-165.

Zoe

Guest guest

Gosh Zoe, I confused. Then what kind of iodine should we use. I just ordered Lugol's

Ellen

Did you ever wonder why "iodine" is said to be purple? In fact the name "iodine" comes from its violet vapor.

On the other hand, tincture of iodine and Lugol's are both brownish.

It is because tincture of iodine and Lugol's have forms of iodine other than molecular iodine (I2). And these other forms of iodine are brown.

See Gottardi: Iodine and Iodine Compounds Gottardi W Chapter 8 in Block, SS. Disinfection, Sterilization, and Preservation, 4th edition. Lea & Febiger, 1991, pp 152-165.

Zoe

I have always believed that Lugol's Solution contained 5% molecular iodine (I2) and 10% Potassium Iodide (KI).

However, I was wrong. While it IS true that you MAKE Lugol's by adding 5% molecular iodine and 10% Potassium Iodide to water, ONCE THEY ARE ADDED TO WATER, the forms change and the molecular iodine (I2) virtually disappears.

There is a chemical reaction that results in almost all (99.66%) of the iodine (I2) being transformed into triiodide (I3-).

Thus, although Lugol's is made with 5% molecular iodine (I2), the resulting product contains only .34% molecular iodine. That works out to 170 ppm (parts per million) of I2 in Lugol's.

Thus, while Lugol's still contains the same amount of total iodine (molecular iodine (I2) + Iodide (I- from the potassium iodide) + triiodide (I3-)), it actually only contains a tiny amount of molecular iodine (I2).

I don't understand yet what this means in terms of the effect of Lugol's on the body. I do know that Eskin & Ghent's experiments on iodine and the breast found that the breast prefers molecular iodine (I2).

I also know that Abraham bases much of his argument on the work of Eskin & Ghent and that he is continually mentioning the importance of having a formula that contains molecular iodine (I2) as well as iodide.

I don't know what happens to triiodide in the body. And I don't know what happens in the process of manufacturing Iodoral.

If you want to read more about this, check out this article by Gottardi on the aqueous chemistry of iodine (i.e., how iodine behaves in water):

Iodine and Iodine Compounds Gottardi W Chapter 8 in Block, SS. Disinfection, Sterilization, and Preservation, 4th edition. Lea & Febiger, 1991, pp 152-165.

Zoe

Guest guest

Ellen,

One of the challenges in being a medical pioneer is that the necessary information is not always available. There are no black and white answers. Thus, it becomes essential to live in uncertainty and not knowing -- while gradually uncovering and gathering relevant information. This can be very difficult -- especially when you have a major health condition that you want to heal.

I don't know the best kind of iodine to use. I don't think the information is yet available. In the face of this uncertainty, I think Lugol's is a good choice. It has a long track record of being used successfully for many different conditions. And it has a significant body of research supporting its use.

Zoe

Gosh Zoe, I confused. Then what kind of iodine should we use. I just ordered Lugol's

Ellen

Zoe

Guest guest

It is a looooong time since I took Chemistry, so I could be

wrong on this one, but if I am remembering correctly, tri-iodides are

not real stable when diluted. So it seems more than likely that when

the body absorbs Potassium tri Iodide (either by drinking it or

absorbing thru skin) that it will readily break down into I2 and KI

inside the body.

Alobar

On 9/2/06, Zoe & <ZOEA@...> wrote:

>

>

>

> I have always believed that Lugol's Solution contained 5% molecular iodine

(I2) and 10% Potassium Iodide (KI).

>

> However, I was wrong. While it IS true that you MAKE Lugol's by adding 5%

molecular iodine and 10% Potassium Iodide to water, ONCE THEY ARE ADDED TO

WATER, the forms change and the molecular iodine (I2) virtually disappears.

>

> There is a chemical reaction that results in almost all (99.66%) of the iodine

(I2) being transformed into triiodide (I3-).

>

Guest guest

Thanks

>

> From: " Zoe & " <ZOEA@...>

> Date: 2006/09/03 Sun AM 10:23:27 EDT

> <iodine >

> Subject: Re: Lugol's -- How much molecular iodine (I2) does it

contain?

>

> Ellen,

>

> One of the challenges in being a medical pioneer is that the necessary

information is not always available. There are no black and white answers.

Thus, it becomes essential to live in uncertainty and not knowing -- while

gradually uncovering and gathering relevant information. This can be very

difficult -- especially when you have a major health condition that you want to

heal.

>

> I don't know the best kind of iodine to use. I don't think the information is

yet available. In the face of this uncertainty, I think Lugol's is a good

choice. It has a long track record of being used successfully for many

different conditions. And it has a significant body of research supporting its

use.

>

> Zoe

>

>

> Gosh Zoe, I confused. Then what kind of iodine should we use. I just

ordered Lugol's

>

> Ellen

>

> I have always believed that Lugol's Solution contained 5% molecular

iodine (I2) and 10% Potassium Iodide (KI).

>

> However, I was wrong. While it IS true that you MAKE Lugol's by adding

5% molecular iodine and 10% Potassium Iodide to water, ONCE THEY ARE ADDED TO

>

> There is a chemical reaction that results in almost all (99.66%) of the

iodine (I2) being transformed into triiodide (I3-).

>

> Thus, although Lugol's is made with 5% molecular iodine (I2), the

resulting product contains only .34% molecular iodine. That works out to 170

ppm (parts per million) of I2 in Lugol's.

>

> Thus, while Lugol's still contains the same amount of total iodine

(molecular iodine (I2) + Iodide (I- from the potassium iodide) + triiodide

(I3-)), it actually only contains a tiny amount of molecular iodine (I2).

>

> I don't understand yet what this means in terms of the effect of Lugol's

on the body. I do know that Eskin & Ghent's experiments on iodine and the

breast found that the breast prefers molecular iodine (I2).

>

> I also know that Abraham bases much of his argument on the work of Eskin

& Ghent and that he is continually mentioning the importance of having a formula

that contains molecular iodine (I2) as well as iodide.

>

> I don't know what happens to triiodide in the body. And I don't know

what happens in the process of manufacturing Iodoral.

>

> If you want to read more about this, check out this article by Gottardi

on the aqueous chemistry of iodine (i.e., how iodine behaves in water):

>

> Iodine and Iodine Compounds Gottardi W Chapter 8 in Block, SS.

Disinfection, Sterilization, and Preservation, 4th edition. Lea & Febiger,

1991, pp 152-165.

> http://iodine4health.com/special/forms_of_iodine.htm

>

> Zoe

>

>

Guest guest

If you look at the Gottardi article, he has equilibrium equations for the various iodine forms.

For example, the triiodide equation is: I2 + I- <==> I3-

The numbers I gave earlier are the equilibrium numbers: How much I3- there is when the solution has reached equilibrium. Where the equilibrium point is depends largely on how much iodide is in the mixture. When you have significant amounts of iodide (as in KI in Lugol's), virtually all the I2 ends up as I3-, independent of pH.

Look at the Gottardi article, especially the first 3 pages.

Iodine and Iodine Compounds Gottardi W

Zoe

It is a looooong time since I took Chemistry, so I could bewrong on this one, but if I am remembering correctly, tri-iodides arenot real stable when diluted. So it seems more than likely that whenthe body absorbs Potassium tri Iodide (either by drinking it orabsorbing thru skin) that it will readily break down into I2 and KIinside the body.AlobarOn 9/2/06, Zoe & <ZOEA@...> wrote:>>>> I have always believed that Lugol's Solution contained 5% molecular iodine (I2) and 10% Potassium Iodide (KI).>> However, I was wrong. While it IS true that you MAKE Lugol's by adding 5% molecular iodine and 10% Potassium Iodide to water, ONCE THEY ARE ADDED TO WATER, the forms change and the molecular iodine (I2) virtually disappears.>> There is a chemical reaction that results in almost all (99.66%) of the iodine (I2) being transformed into triiodide (I3-).>Iodine

Guest guest

I found this email in the files section...it says that the I2 in lugol's turns

into I3. I'm now concerned, because I'm taking iodine for breast cancer, and

the breasts need I2. Does anyone have any breast cancer studies using lugol's or

iodoral?

len

>

> I have always believed that Lugol's Solution contained 5% molecular iodine

(I2) and 10% Potassium Iodide (KI).

>

> However, I was wrong. While it IS true that you MAKE Lugol's by adding 5%

molecular iodine and 10% Potassium Iodide to water, ONCE THEY ARE ADDED TO

>

> There is a chemical reaction that results in almost all (99.66%) of the iodine

(I2) being transformed into triiodide (I3-).

>

> Thus, although Lugol's is made with 5% molecular iodine (I2), the resulting

product contains only .34% molecular iodine. That works out to 170 ppm (parts

per million) of I2 in Lugol's.

>

> Thus, while Lugol's still contains the same amount of total iodine (molecular

iodine (I2) + Iodide (I- from the potassium iodide) + triiodide (I3-)), it

actually only contains a tiny amount of molecular iodine (I2).

>

> I don't understand yet what this means in terms of the effect of Lugol's on

the body. I do know that Eskin & Ghent's experiments on iodine and the breast

found that the breast prefers molecular iodine (I2).

>

> I also know that Abraham bases much of his argument on the work of Eskin &

Ghent and that he is continually mentioning the importance of having a formula

that contains molecular iodine (I2) as well as iodide.

>

> I don't know what happens to triiodide in the body. And I don't know what

happens in the process of manufacturing Iodoral.

>

>

> If you want to read more about this, check out this article by Gottardi on the

aqueous chemistry of iodine (i.e., how iodine behaves in water):

>

> Iodine and Iodine Compounds Gottardi W Chapter 8 in Block, SS. Disinfection,

Sterilization, and Preservation, 4th edition. Lea & Febiger, 1991, pp 152-165.

> http://iodine4health.com/special/forms_of_iodine.htm

>

> Zoe

>