Guest guest Posted July 13, 2004 Report Share Posted July 13, 2004 go and see a Otologist, let us knwo where you are and someone will like know of one in yoru area. It kind of scares me that the Doc made the incision the way he did. hopeflly I'm misunderstanding what you wrote... tom hansen --- angel2cook@... wrote: > HI, > My son had a mastoidectomy when he was 10 with a > repeat to reopen the ear > canal that keloided over and closed the ear. They > actually took the incision out > on to his face by his ear. He looked like a dog bit > him. Well, anyway we were > never told that it could regrow. His eardrum and > bones of hearing all fell out > after surgery and he has minimal hearing in the ear. > After joining this group > I peeked in his ear and can see the cauliflower > white thing( was told it was > cells of hearing or something) and now I see a > crusty section in a different > part of his ear. I have never seen this before. He > only had his bowl vacuumed > once and I keep it clean so it has never been done > again. I plan to call his > pediatrician to get a referral to ENT but his > surgeon is no longer practicing > and the specialist that did the second,repair to > open his ear, is no longer in > the area. Could this funky spot be a new > cholesteatoma? > Jean > __________________________________________________ Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest guest Posted July 13, 2004 Report Share Posted July 13, 2004 Hi Yes, it is possible that it is c-toma, but at the same time maybe your son just needs a good cleaning by the doctor. I keep my husbands ear as clean as possible, but he still goes in every 4 months for cleaning and will continue to do so for the rest of his life. I thought that was pretty much the standard with a mastoid bowl (regular cleanings), but maybe it isn't. I would try and get that referral to an otologist instead of an ENT. Otologists specialize in the ear only. Try not to worry too much, until the doctor tells you you have something to worry about. Please post and let us know what happens. Best of luck to you and your son. Michele, Group Moderatorangel2cook@... wrote: HI, My son had a mastoidectomy when he was 10 with a repeat to reopen the ear canal that keloided over and closed the ear. They actually took the incision out on to his face by his ear. He looked like a dog bit him. Well, anyway we were never told that it could regrow. His eardrum and bones of hearing all fell out after surgery and he has minimal hearing in the ear. After joining this group I peeked in his ear and can see the cauliflower white thing( was told it was cells of hearing or something) and now I see a crusty section in a different part of his ear. I have never seen this before. He only had his bowl vacuumed once and I keep it clean so it has never been done again. I plan to call his pediatrician to get a referral to ENT but his surgeon is no longer practicing and the specialist that did the second,repair to open his ear, is no longer in the area. Could this funky spot be a new cholesteatoma? Jean Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest guest Posted July 13, 2004 Report Share Posted July 13, 2004 In a message dated 7/13/04 11:06:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time, pingmn123@... writes: It kindof scares me that the Doc made the incision the way hedid. Hopefully I'm misunderstanding what you wrote... Hi, No misunderstanding on your part (unfortunately) Because the ear canal scarred closed they had to make a big ear canal and in order to do that they had to remove the little point in front of the ear opening (can't hold a plug in now) and also cut out onto his face. Yes, he did look like he was bit by a dog and it took a chunk away. I was sick at the sight and had to clean it a few times daily. He kept an eye patch over this area as it healed. this made a perfect bandage for him. I will be calling his pedi and seeing what/where we are at. It has been 6 yrs since the surgery and he has only had it cleaned once. Jean Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.