RemedySpot.com

Re: Day Of surgery

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/29/2006 4:03:33 PM Eastern Standard Time, zztinau@... writes:

I am asking what can I expect as soon as surgery is done. I am scared to death but I know this has to be done.

If it's a knee, I can answer that....the day of surgery is pretty easy...you have so much pain meds that there is very little pain....the pain starts to set in the next day and the days after that....while in the hospital you have lots of pain meds that really help....so don't worry too much about the first day....you will be fine!

Tami,

Try and relax...what are you scared of exactly? The pain? You'll be on meds when you wake up and around the clock so you shouldn't feel any pain. I'll tell you what my experience was, so that you can get an idea.

The day of my surgery they prepped me in the pre-op room w/ an IV and my husband got to be there until they took me into the O.R. They gave me something in my IV to make me feel calm, and then in the O.R. I remember chatting for about a minute w/ the anasthesiologist (can't for the life of me remember what about) and then the next thing I knew I was waking up in post-op. I remember being cold and asking for a blanket and they gave me one of those toasty-warm-fresh-from-the-drier hospital blankets that make you feel oh so cozy and I remember them saying they needed to get an Xray, and some Xray dude was right there with (I guess) a portable Xray machine taking pictures of my new hip. I guess they wanted to do this right out of surgery in case the Dr. would have needed to go back and fix anything, that'd be as good a time as any.

Then they wheeled me to my room, and my husband was by my side from post-op, to walking to my room, until I fell asleep. Then he had to go home to our boys (and Gramma.) I remember having a room mate, and the nurses came in every hour or so (it seemed) to check I don't know what on either of us. I had a catheter in, so I didn't have to worry about getting up and walking to the bathroom. (Theres no need to poo, for some strange phenonemon whenever you have surgery.) Later that night, I remember them coming in to turn me, I guess they didn't want me to get bed sores? I was real comfy too, laid up on my perfectly propped mountain of pillows just the way I wanted them, but they insisted. I admit I was scared to roll. They asked me to roll myself and I just flat out refused to even try. (Looking back, I suppose it was a sign that m y leg was more capable than I gave it credi

t, if they suggested I try.) Well, they collectively log rolled me and I was scared, but it didn't hurt. Then I went back to sleep.

The next morning, I was allowed to order anything off the menu that I wanted, which was cool, cause I hadn't eaten in what felt like 2 days. A physical therapist came by mid-morning and had me up on my feet, and doing a slow lap around the entire 3rd floor (with a walker, of course) and an occupational therapist had me standing at the sink in the bathroom for a sponge/washcloth bath. She gave me cool tools too, like a reacher, and a sock putter onner. The next day I spent a lot of time in the chair beside my bed, and did a couple of laps with my physical therapist, as well as going up and down the little steps in the PT room. I also was given a few exercises to do while lying in bed, like thigh squeezes and rotating my ankles and pointing and flexing my feet. That afternoon the Dr. asked me if I wanted to go home (he was prepared to send me!) but I have 2 small boys and felt l

ike I was at the Ritz, so I convinced him to let me stay one more night. I went home around noon the next day.

piece of cake!

Hi Tami,

If you go to the website and have a read you will find that the outcomes for

people are variable, with most being highly positive.

Joint Replacement/messages

If you are having a Total Hip go and read some of the comments on the

database

Joint Replacement/database?method=rep\

ortRows & tbl=3

Just look after it well because revisions don't seem to be nearly as

successful.

Aussie Margaret

RTHR 1990 revised 2004

Day Of surgery

I am asking what can I expect as soon as surgery is done. I am scared to

death but I know this has to be done.

Tami

Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.

what I was looking for is some messages from the group members on here.

Tami

Day Of surgery

>

>

> I am asking what can I expect as soon as surgery is done. I am scared to

> death but I know this has to be done.

>

> Tami

>

> Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.

>

>

>

It's a common question, and on the website you will get the answers that

group members in the past have given. Plus answers to questions you didn't

think to ask.

It is a scary time.

Aussie Margaret

RTHR 1990 revised 2004

Day Of surgery

| >

| >

| > I am asking what can I expect as soon as surgery is done. I am scared

to

| > death but I know this has to be done.

| >

| > Tami

| >

Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.

clicked on the link and it brought up an invalid page

Tami

Day Of surgery

> | >

> | >

> | > I am asking what can I expect as soon as surgery is done. I am scared

> to

> | > death but I know this has to be done.

> | >

> | > Tami

> | >

>

>

> Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.

>

>

>

I didn't know what to expect. I only knew that I had no choice but

to have the surgery and hope for the best because I couldn't walk.

With hip replacement #1, on day 2 in the hospital, I declared to a

visitor that " I couldn't believe I let anyone do this to me " and " I

don't think I'll ever get better " . I truly couldn't see any light at

the end of the tunnel. On day #4 when I expected to be sent home, I

didn't think I was ready to go home. They sent me anyway. Of

course, I was fine and gradually got better.

With hip #2, you couldn't have kept me away. I was chomping at the

bit to go home a day early, there was none of the moaning about how

miserable I was, because I truly wasn't miserable.

So, maybe the bottom line is that a lot depends on one's attitude.

And - it really helps when one has " been there and done that " .

However, the reality is that there has to be a first time for

everything and the learning curve is rather steep, especially if one

hasn't had major surgery before (this was the case for me).

I think you'll do just fine.

>

> I am asking what can I expect as soon as surgery is done. I am

scared to death but I know this has to be done.

>

> Tami

>

Thanks, I am having total Knee done in a month. For the past surgeries I have had I bounce back really fast. I had a hysterectomy and I was in the Hospital 4 days. The day after I was walking around walmart.

Tami

I didn't know what to expect. I only knew that I had no choice but to have the surgery and hope for the best because I couldn't walk. With hip replacement #1, on day 2 in the hospital, I declared to a visitor that "I couldn't believe I let anyone do this to me" and "I don't think I'll ever get better". I truly couldn't see any light at the end of the tunnel. On day #4 when I expected to be sent home, I didn't think I was ready to go home. They sent me anyway. Of course, I was fine and gradually got better. With hip #2, you couldn't have kept me away. I was chomping at the bit to go home a day early, there was none of the moaning about how miserable I was, because I truly wasn't miserable. So, maybe the bottom line is that a lot depends on one's attitude. And - it really helps when one has "been there and done that". However, the reality is that there has to be a first time for everything and the learning curve is rather steep, especially if one hasn't had major surgery before (this was the case for me). I think you'll do just fine.>> I am asking what can I expect as soon as surgery is done. I am scared to death but I know this has to be done.> > Tami>

Wow it sounds like it was so easy for you

I dont knoe what I am afraid of. its not like I dont have horrible pain right now. I cant even go up steps it hurts so much. I guess its just the waiting now

Tami

Tami,

Try and relax...what are you scared of exactly? The pain? You'll be on meds when you wake up and around the clock so you shouldn't feel any pain. I'll tell you what my experience was, so that you can get an idea.

The day of my surgery they prepped me in the pre-op room w/ an IV and my husband got to be there until they took me into the O.R. They gave me something in my IV to make me feel calm, and then in the O.R. I remember chatting for about a minute w/ the anasthesiologist (can't for the life of me remember what about) and then the next thing I knew I was waking up in post-op. I remember being cold and asking for a blanket and they gave me one of those toasty-warm-fresh-from-the-drier hospital blankets that make you feel oh so cozy and I remember them saying they needed to get an Xray, and some Xray dude was right there with (I guess) a portable Xray machine taking pictures of my new hip. I guess they wanted to do this right out of surgery in case the Dr. would have needed to go back and fix anything, that'd be as good a time as any.

Then they wheeled me to my room, and my husband was by my side from post-op, to walking to my room, until I fell asleep. Then he had to go home to our boys (and Gramma.) I remember having a room mate, and the nurses came in every hour or so (it seemed) to check I don't know what on either of us. I had a catheter in, so I didn't have to worry about getting up and walking to the bathroom. (Theres no need to poo, for some strange phenonemon whenever you have surgery.) Later that night, I remember them coming in to turn me, I guess they didn't want me to get bed sores? I was real comfy too, laid up on my perfectly propped mountain of pillows just the way I wanted them, but they insisted. I admit I was scared to roll. They asked me to roll myself and I just flat out refused to even try. (Looking back, I suppose it was a sign that m y leg was more capable than I gave it credi t, if they suggested I try.) Well, they collectively log rolled me and I was scared, but it didn't hurt. Then I went back to sleep.

The next morning, I was allowed to order anything off the menu that I wanted, which was cool, cause I hadn't eaten in what felt like 2 days. A physical therapist came by mid-morning and had me up on my feet, and doing a slow lap around the entire 3rd floor (with a walker, of course) and an occupational therapist had me standing at the sink in the bathroom for a sponge/washcloth bath. She gave me cool tools too, like a reacher, and a sock putter onner. The next day I spent a lot of time in the chair beside my bed, and did a couple of laps with my physical therapist, as well as going up and down the little steps in the PT room. I also was given a few exercises to do while lying in bed, like thigh squeezes and rotating my ankles and pointing and flexing my feet. That afternoon the Dr. asked me if I wanted to go home (he was prepared to send me!) but I have 2 small boys and felt l ike I was at the Ritz, so I convinced him to let me stay one more night. I went home around noon the next day.

piece of cake!

Maybe it's because I'm 64, but I'm not scared of my upcoming operation. It could be misplaced, but I have confidence that it'll all go well and that I'll be able to be active again. I'm doing a lot of pre-op prep with my legs, strengthening & stretching, and balance training, which I figure will come in handy while I'm on crutches and/or it hurts to use the leg.

I discovered something interesting this afternoon while working in the yard. I've been having a lot of lower left back pain. Today, I noticed, after having worked them recently, that when I bent over, my minor glutes (minimum and medius) were helping balance my body. I'm wondering if part of my lower back pain has been weak minor glutes.

Ann

Day Of surgery| >| >| > I am asking what can I expect as soon as surgery is done. I am scared to| > death but I know this has to be done.| >| > Tami| >Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.

Don't be scared. You will wake up and not feel a thing as you will be

numb. The numbness will wear off and you will have a pain pump to use.

The worst two things for me was the iv being put in and that didn't

hurt as well as the block put in my groin and that didn't hurt either.

They kept me comfortable during my whole stay. It was al;l better

than the pain I had endured.

On Aug 29, 2006, at 11:37 AM, Tami wrote:

> I am asking what can I expect as soon as surgery is done.  I am scared

> to death but I know this has to be done.

>  

> Tami

>

>

The Bible is the only book in which the Author is always present.

You'll be heavely sedated. You may be nauseated

but shouldn't be in pain "drugs" They will get you

up on a walker after several hours or the next day

Your legs will be in the machine a good share of the

time. You'll have a catheter probably and have your

blood taken A LOT.

I have to admit I was kept comfortable in the hospital

thanks a lot to the "happy botton". You'll go home in

4 days.

Sherry

Day Of surgery

I am asking what can I expect as soon as surgery is done. I am scared to death but I know this has to be done.

Tami

Do you mean you had a nerve block done in your groin? Not a spinal?

Ann

Don't be scared. You will wake up and not feel a thing as you will be numb. The numbness will wear off and you will have a pain pump to use. The worst two things for me was the iv being put in and that didn't hurt as well as the block put in my groin and that didn't hurt either. They kept me comfortable during my whole stay. It was al;l better than the pain I had endured.On Aug 29, 2006, at 11:37 AM, Tami wrote:

I am asking what can I expect as soon as surgery is done. I am scared to death but I know this has to be done. Tami The Bible is the only book in which the Author is always present.

I did not have a spinal either time. the anathesiologist said they

have better luck with a nerve block in the groin. I sure appreciated

that over a spinal. They gave the rest of the anathesia through my iv.

They said the nerve block helped with the loss of blood and neither

time did I have to have a transfusion.

Really both of my surgeries were very easy.

On Aug 29, 2006, at 6:40 PM, Ann wrote:

> Do you mean you had a nerve block done in your groin?  Not a spinal? 

>  

> Ann

>> Re: Day Of surgery

>>

>> Don't be scared. You will wake up and not feel a thing as you will be

>> numb. The numbness will wear off and you will have a pain pump to

>> use. The worst two things for me was the iv being put in and that

>> didn't hurt as well as the block put in my groin and that didn't hurt

>> either. They kept me comfortable during my whole stay. It was al;l

>> better than the pain I had endured.

>> On Aug 29, 2006, at 11:37 AM, Tami wrote:

>>

>>> I am asking what can I expect as soon as surgery is done.  I am

>>> scared to death but I know this has to be done.

>>>  

>>> Tami

>>>

>>>

>> The Bible is the only book in which the Author is always present.

>

I am too blessed to be stressed

Also, they can put anti-nausea med in your IV. It worked pretty well for me after my last one. They didn't even offer it for the ones before, so it's probably a good idea to ask for it before the surgery.

Ann

Day Of surgery

Tami

If you don't want a catheter, but would rather take your chances on being able to get to the bathroom, tell them beforehand. That's what I'm gonna do.

Ann

Day Of surgery

Tami

OK, I like this. It's going on my list. With a nerve block, were they able to use "light sedation"? I had "light" for my partial meniscectomy. I realize a TKR is a whole nother animal, don't know if they can use light sedation even if you have a nerve block, but if anyone here knows, I'd like to know. The light sedation is less risky & you get less nausea.

Hmm -- just thought of something -- does a nerve block in the groin paralyze your bladder? I wouldn't want that. I'd do just about anything to avoid the dreaded Foley.

Ann

Re: Day Of surgeryDon't be scared. You will wake up and not feel a thing as you will be numb. The numbness will wear off and you will have a pain pump to use. The worst two things for me was the iv being put in and that didn't hurt as well as the block put in my groin and that didn't hurt either. They kept me comfortable during my whole stay. It was al;l better than the pain I had endured.On Aug 29, 2006, at 11:37 AM, Tami wrote:

I am asking what can I expect as soon as surgery is done. I am scared to death but I know this has to be done. TamiThe Bible is the only book in which the Author is always present. I am too blessed to be stressed

Why dread the catheter? they insert it while you are in the operating

room and you don't even know it.

On Aug 29, 2006, at 7:29 PM, Ann wrote:

> OK, I like this.  It's going on my list.  With a nerve block, were

> they able to use " light sedation " ?  I had " light " for my partial

> meniscectomy.  I realize a TKR is a whole nother animal, don't know if

> they can use light sedation even if you have a nerve block, but if

> anyone here knows, I'd like to know.  The light sedation is less risky

> & you get less nausea.

>  

> Hmm -- just thought of something -- does a nerve block in the groin

> paralyze your bladder?  I wouldn't want that.  I'd do just about

> anything to avoid the dreaded Foley.

>  

> Ann

>> Re: Day Of surgery

>>>>

>>>> Don't be scared. You will wake up and not feel a thing as you will

>>>> be numb. The numbness will wear off and you will have a pain pump

>>>> to use. The worst two things for me was the iv being put in and

>>>> that didn't hurt as well as the block put in my groin and that

>>>> didn't hurt either. They kept me comfortable during my whole stay.

>>>> It was al;l better than the pain I had endured.

>>>> On Aug 29, 2006, at 11:37 AM, Tami wrote:

>>>>

>>>>> I am asking what can I expect as soon as surgery is done.  I am

>>>>> scared to death but I know this has to be done.

>>>>>  

>>>>> Tami

>>>>>

>>>>>

>>>> The Bible is the only book in which the Author is always present.

>>>

>> I am too blessed to be stressed

>

The Bible is the only book in which the Author is always present.

I was told they were going to do the groin thing but I was

put out first so I don't know what they did.

Sherry

Don't be scared. You will wake up and not feel a thing as you will be numb. The numbness will wear off and you will have a pain pump to use. The worst two things for me was the iv being put in and that didn't hurt as well as the block put in my groin and that didn't hurt either. They kept me comfortable during my whole stay. It was al;l better than the pain I had endured.On Aug 29, 2006, at 11:37 AM, Tami wrote:

I am asking what can I expect as soon as surgery is done. I am scared to death but I know this has to be done. TamiThe Bible is the only book in which the Author is always present.

Sorry Tami,

Couldn't understand why you said it didn't work at first - it was the wrap.

Try it this way: go to:

Joint Replacement

then click on database (left hand side),

Click on THR

And start reading.

Enjoy

There is one for knees too, and dislocated hips, but they don't have the

same number of enteries.

I notice the group is sending you some wonderful answers to your questions.

Have a good day

Aussie Margaret

RTHR 1990 revised 2004

Day Of surgery

| > | >

| > | >

| > | > I am asking what can I expect as soon as surgery is done. I am

scared

| > to

| > | > death but I know this has to be done.

| > | >

| > | > Tami

| > | >

| >

| >

| > Send instant messages to your online friends

http://au.messenger.

| >

| >

| >

I had the same thing happen with my knee. The first one I'm wondering the same thing. Why in the H*** did I do this to myself? But then you realize it's a different kind of pain. And if you keep with it, it will feel so much better. I am 6 months out of my second knee and I have to strengthen my hamstrings yet. I've been babying myself too much. I've fallen down because I think that I truly had to learn how to walk again. Instead of the waddle I can actually walk straight. It's been about 10 years since I did that. I'm getting much better at it. Have to learn to pick my feet up more.

In a message dated 8/29/2006 6:25:08 P.M. Central Standard Time, tamimh@... writes:

Wow it sounds like it was so easy for you

I dont knoe what I am afraid of. its not like I dont have horrible pain right now. I cant even go up steps it hurts so much. I guess its just the waiting now

Tami

Yep, the waiting and waiting is very hard. I was very uptight and scared too. I had waited so long for it though. I'm 46 now and they had always told me I had to wait until I was 50. That was very discouraging for me. I occupied most of that time by writing things down that I had to do, and things that I wanted to bring. I had back surgery 7 months before, and I packed enough to stay for a week! And books were just a waste of time. I did want the newspaper but really couldn't concentrate on a book. It really isn't that bad. Now if you asked about back surgery, that was horrible so that's why I was so surprised about my knee. On the second knee I was chomping on the bit to get er done as fast as I could! They had me up and walking so soon, like 12 hours later. I didn't have a catheter and I wanted to get rid of that bedpan. I think that my next meal was a real one. I really don't remember, it's all over with so fast. It's just really cool when you think about it, the things that can be done now.

In a message dated 8/29/2006 9:27:55 P.M. Central Standard Time, ruby2zdy@... writes:

Also, they can put anti-nausea med in your IV. It worked pretty well for me after my last one. They didn't even offer it for the ones before, so it's probably a good idea to ask for it before the surgery.

Ann

Yep, I always tell them that I get sick if I don't get the anti-nausea stuff. Nothing worse than having surgery and barfing afterwards.

In a message dated 8/29/2006 9:32:50 P.M. Central Standard Time, ruby2zdy@... writes:

OK, I like this. It's going on my list. With a nerve block, were they able to use "light sedation"? I had "light" for my partial meniscectomy. I realize a TKR is a whole nother animal, don't know if they can use light sedation even if you have a nerve block, but if anyone here knows, I'd like to know. The light sedation is less risky & you get less nausea.

Hmm -- just thought of something -- does a nerve block in the groin paralyze your bladder? I wouldn't want that. I'd do just about anything to avoid the dreaded Foley.

Ann

They had told me that I could have the nerve block and be almost awake during the surgery, but wouldn't do it because of my recent back surgery. I had the nerve block before though with another surgery on my knee and didn't have a problem peeing. It was the arthroscopy and I went home the same day.