RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Thyroid

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I bought mine from a naturopath .. . They're made by: Progressive Laboratories, Inc. 1701 W. Walnut Hill Ln. Irving, Texas 75038 The label says they are to be dispensed only by a liscensed health care professional. They were $15 for 2 ounces . . . If you can't find some, I can get some and send it to you. Rogene Tricia Trish <glory2glory1401@...> wrote: Rogene, Can you provide us a link for these Oregano Iodine drops? I can't find any... PattyRogene S <saxony01 > wrote: , I couldn't get my doctors interested in working with me on thyroid . . . At one time, I had a doctor who did prescribe it . . back when I first began getting goiter nodules and I was losing hair like crazy. Later, I was feeling better and decided to try doing without it. . .It didn't seem to make any difference . . . My doctor was really unhappy with me for dropping it, but when she ran the tests, I was OK. . . Later, I started losing hair again and asked to be tested. . . According to the tests, I'm still OK. . .

they don't want to prescribe anything. . . I have countless goiter nodules now. When I did the iodine tests, I painted multiple circles on my tummy. ALL of them were gone in a short time. That's when I started Oregano Iodine drops - two a day. . . Since then, my hair and nails are growing like crazy . .. even on my legs where I had virtually no hair growth. Other than healthy hair growth, I have a hard time telling if the drops are doing anything . .. .but I think they are. I'm feeling good at least! Rogene Finding fabulous fares is fun.Let FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains.

Guest guest

Quest Diagnostics: Search The Site this is quite an educational site.....

Thyrotropin, TSH (Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone)

A thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) blood test is used to check for thyroid gland problems. TSH is produced when the hypothalamus releases a substance called thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH). TRH then triggers the pituitary gland to release TSH. See illustrations of the thyroid gland and the pituitary gland .

TSH causes the thyroid gland to make two hormones: triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4). T3 and T4 help control your body's metabolism.

Triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4) are needed for normal growth of the brain, especially during the first 3 years of life. A baby whose thyroid gland does not make enough thyroid hormone (congenital hypothyroidism) may, in severe cases, be mentally retarded. Older children also need thyroid hormones to grow and develop normally.

This test may be done at the same time as tests to measure T3 and T4

A test for thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) is done to:

Find out whether the thyroid gland is working properly.

An underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism) can cause symptoms such as weight gain, tiredness, dry skin, constipation, a feeling of being too cold, or frequent menstrual periods. An overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) can cause symptoms such as weight loss, rapid heart rate, nervousness, diarrhea, a feeling of being too hot, or irregular menstrual periods.

Find the cause of an underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism). TSH levels can help determine whether hypothyroidism is due to a damaged thyroid gland or some other cause (such as a problem with the pituitary gland or the hypothalamus). Keep track of treatment with thyroid replacement medicine for people who have hypothyroidism. Keep track of thyroid gland function in people who are being treated for hyperthyroidism. This treatment may include antithyroid medicine, surgery, or radiation therapy. Double-check the diagnosis of an underactive thyroid gland in a newborn (congenital hypothyroidism

Results

A thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) blood test is used to check for thyroid gland problems.

The normal ranges for the results of this test may vary from laboratory to laboratory. Results are usually available within 2 to 3 days.

Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH)

Adults:

2–10 mIU/L or 2–10 mU/L (SI units)

Babies:

3–18 mIU/L or 3–18 mU/L (SI units)

High values

High TSH levels may be caused by:

An underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism). Hashimoto's thyroiditis is the most common cause of primary hypothyroidism. A pituitary gland tumor that is making too much TSH. This is uncommon. Not taking enough thyroid hormone medicine for treatment of an underactive thyroid gland.

Low values

Low TSH levels may be caused by:

An overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism). Causes of hyperthyroidism include Graves' disease, a type of goiter (toxic multinodular goiter), or a noncancerous (benign) tumor called a toxic nodule. Damage to the pituitary gland that prevents it from making TSH (secondary hypothyroidism). Taking too much thyroid medicine for treatment of an underactive thyroid gland

What Affects the Test

Reasons you may not be able to have the test or why the results may not be helpful include:

Taking medicine, such as corticosteroids, levodopa, heparin, dopamine, lithium (such as Carbolith, Duralith, or Lithane), methimazole (Tapazole), and propylthiouracil. Having had a recent X-ray with iodine dye or test using radioactive materials. Having severe stress or a long-term (chronic) illness. Pregnancy during the first trimester

What To Think About

The thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) test is the best screening test for conditions that can affect the thyroid gland. The results of a TSH test should be considered along with the results of thyroid hormone tests, especially thyroxine (T4) results. For more information about T3 and T4 testing, see the medical test Thyroid Hormone Tests. Another test that measures TSH levels in the blood is called the thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH) challenge test. TSH blood levels are measured before and after an injection of TRH. Normally the injection causes the pituitary gland to release TSH. TSH levels that do not rise after the injection can indicate the presence of conditions such as a damaged pituitary gland (secondary hypothyroidism), Graves' disease, or any condition that causes an overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism

T3 (Triiodothyronine) Test, T4 (Thyroxine) Test, Thyroxine (T4) Test, Triiodothyronine (T3) Test

Thyroid hormone tests are blood tests that check how well the thyroid gland is working. The thyroid gland makes hormones that regulate the way the body uses energy.

The thyroid gland is a butterfly-shaped gland that lies in front of your windpipe (trachea), just below your voice box (larynx). The thyroid gland uses iodine from food to make two thyroid hormones, thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3). The thyroid gland stores these thyroid hormones and releases them as they are needed.

Thyroid hormones are needed for normal development of the brain, especially during the first 3 years of life. Mental retardation may occur if a baby's thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone (congenital hypothyroidism). Older children also need thyroid hormones to grow and develop normally, and adults need the hormones to regulate the way the body uses energy (metabolism).

Thyroid hormone blood tests include:

Total thyroxine (T4). Most of the thyroxine (T4) in the blood is attached to a protein called the thyroxine-binding globulin. Less than 1% of the T4 is unattached. A total T4 blood test measures both bound and free thyroxine. Free thyroxine affects tissue function in the body, but bound thyroxine does not. Free thyroxine index (FTI or FT4). Free thyroxine (T4) can be measured directly (FT4) or calculated as the free thyroxine index (FTI). The FTI tells how much T4 is present compared to the thyroxine-binding globulin. The FTI can help tell if abnormal amounts of T4 are present because of abnormal amounts of thyroxin-binding globulin. Triiodothyronine (T3). Most of the T3 in the blood is attached to the thyroxine-binding globulin. Less than 1% of the T3 is unattached. A T3 blood test measures both bound and free triiodothyronine. T3 has a greater effect on the way the body uses energy than T4, even though T3 is normally present in smaller amounts than T4.

Results

Thyroid hormone tests are blood tests that check how well the thyroid gland is working.

Normal

Normal values may vary from lab to lab. Results are usually available within a few days.

Labs generally measure free T4 (FT4) levels, but also may measure total thyroxine (T4) and T3 uptake (T3U). Results of these thyroid hormone tests may be compared to your thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) results.

Thyroid hormone tests

Total thyroxine (T4):

9.8–22.6 micrograms per deciliter (µg/dL) in newborns (1 to 14 days of age)

5.6–16.6 µg/dL in babies and older children

5–14 µg/dL in adults

Free thyroxine (FT4):

0.8–2.4 nanograms per deciliter (ng/dL)

Total triiodothyronine (T3):

32–250 ng/dL in newborns (1 to 14 days of age)

83–280 ng/dL in babies and older children

80–230 ng/dL in adults

Free triiodothyronine (FT3):

0.2–0.6 ng/dL

Free Thyroxine Index (FTI):

7.5–17.5 in newborns (1 to 14 days of age)

5.0–12.8 in babies and older children

4.2–13.0 in adults

Many conditions can change thyroid hormone levels.Your doctor will talk with you about any abnormal results that may be related to your symptoms and medical history.

High values

High thyroid hormone levels (hyperthyroidism) may be caused by:

Diseases of the thyroid gland, such as Graves' disease, thyroiditis, or a goiter that contains one or more abnormal growths (nodules). Taking too much thyroid medicine.

Low values

Low thyroid hormone levels (hypothyroidism) may be caused by:

Thyroid disease such as thyroiditis. Pituitary gland disease. Destruction of the thyroid gland by surgery or radiation

What Affects the Test

Reasons you may not be able to have the test or why the results may not be helpful include:

Taking certain medicines, such as:

Corticosteroids, estrogen, progesterone, or birth control pills. Blood-thinning medicines such as aspirin, heparin, or warfarin (Coumadin). Antiseizure medicines such as Dilantin or Tegretol. Heart medicines such as amiodarone or propranolol. Lithium.

Having recently had an X-ray test that uses contrast material. Being pregnant

What To Think About

Other blood tests are often used to check how well the thyroid gland is working.

Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) test measures the amount of TSH in the blood and is considered the most reliable way to find a thyroid problem. If the TSH test is abnormal, other thyroid hormone tests such as a T3 or T4 may be done. For more information, see the medical test Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone. Thyroid antibodies test. This test measures the presence of antibodies against thyroid tissue. Antibodies may mean that you have an autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto's thyroiditis or Graves' disease. Thyroxine-binding globulin (TBG) test. TBG is an important protein in the blood that carries the thyroid hormones T3 and T4. TBG testing is not done very often.

Other tests used to investigate problems with the thyroid gland include thyroid scan, ultrasound, or biopsy. For more information, see the medical tests Thyroid Scan and Radioactive Iodine Uptake Test, Thyroid Ultrasound and Parathyroid Ultrasound, and Thyroid Biopsy. Because false-positive results can occur when testing a newborn for congenital hypothyroidism, the thyroid hormone tests may be repeated a few days after initial testing. If the results are still abnormal and congenital hypothyroidism is suspected, additional testing is done

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com.

Guest guest

Also, lots of people dont know this but certain meds can affect certain lab tests, one is Aspirin

It can increase thyroid function tests T 3 uptake and the Free T3 & 4, and can decrese the TSH , and it can make a false positive urine sugar.

Lasix or Furosemide can decrease your T3,T4

If you are on any meds, be sure you find out how they affect your blood tests

again, this site is marvelous: Immunoglobulins - [Medical Test] - Quest Diagnostics Patient Health Library

DedeAOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com.

Guest guest

Does anyone here have any thyroid issues? I have recently been diagnosed hypothyroid and have been taking cytomel. It helped at first but lately it hasn’t, I am sleeping all the time and foggy and depressed.

Just curious if this affects anybody else...

Gwen

Guest guest

Yes, underactive. I’m taking 25 mcg of cytomel... It was helping, but now it’s stopped. It’s terrible... How much synthoid do you take, and does it help?

Reply- " Rheumatoid Arthritis " <Rheumatoid Arthritis >

Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 10:02:46 -0800 (PST)

" Rheumatoid Arthritis " <Rheumatoid Arthritis >

Subject: Re: Thyroid

Hi Gwen,

I have hypothyroidism as well....I think that's underactive right? I take synthroid for it. I was actually diagnosed for it when I first was diagnosed with RA 7 years ago.

Subject: Thyroid

Date: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 11:42 AM

Does anyone here have any thyroid issues? I have recently been diagnosed hypothyroid and have been taking cytomel. It helped at first but lately it hasn’t, I am sleeping all the time and foggy and depressed.

Just curious if this affects anybody else...

Gwen

Guest guest

I don’t think cytomel is a generic, it’s just the one you take for T3. I’m thinking maybe my T3 isn’t the only thing that’s off, just the only one I’m being treated for.

I was doing much better for about a week, but then crashed again. Sleeping all the time. Foggy, forgetful, mopey and depressed!

Is anyone else taking cytomel and if so how much?

Do you see an endicrinologist too?

Reply- " Rheumatoid Arthritis " <Rheumatoid Arthritis >

Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 18:50:42 -0000

Subject: Re: Thyroid

Gwen,

I also have a hypothyroid. It is quite common to have multiple auto-

immune diseases.

After my doctor got me to the correct level I have not had any more

porblems. I take Synthroid 125mcg. My doctor will not approve a

generic. She says it is not the same with Synthroid.

Shirley

>

> Does anyone here have any thyroid issues? I have recently been

diagnosed

> hypothyroid and have been taking cytomel. It helped at first but

lately it

> hasn’t, I am sleeping all the time and foggy and depressed.

>

> Just curious if this affects anybody else...

>

> Gwen

>

Guest guest

I am also hypothyroid..........I take synthroid (have now for 22 years)........it really helps, but takes up to six months to restore levels and correct deficiencies throughout your body. I did take cytomel for a while in combination with the synthroid.

Clara

From: Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...>Subject: Re: Re: Thyroid"Rheumatoid Arthritis " <Rheumatoid Arthritis >Date: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 2:18 PM

I don¢t think cytomel is a generic, it¢s just the one you take for T3. I¢m thinking maybe my T3 isn¢t the only thing that¢s off, just the only one I¢m being treated for.I was doing much better for about a week, but then crashed again. Sleeping all the time. Foggy, forgetful, mopey and depressed!Is anyone else taking cytomel and if so how much?Do you see an endicrinologist too?

From: nana2livi <s.p5315 (DOT) com>Reply-"rheumatoid_arthriti sgroups (DOT) com" <rheumatoid_arthriti sgroups (DOT) com>Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 18:50:42 -0000"rheumatoid_arthriti sgroups (DOT) com" <rheumatoid_arthriti sgroups (DOT) com>Subject: [rheumatoid_ arthritis] Re: Thyroid Gwen,I also have a hypothyroid. It is quite common to have multiple auto-immune diseases.After my doctor got me to the correct level I have not had any more porblems. I take Synthroid 125mcg. My doctor will not approve a generic. She says it is not the same with Synthroid.Shirley>> Does anyone

here have any thyroid issues? I have recently been diagnosed> hypothyroid and have been taking cytomel. It helped at first but lately it> hasn¢t, I am sleeping all the time and foggy and depressed.> > Just curious if this affects anybody else...> > Gwen>

Guest guest

Where did you hear that?  I am curious becuase everything I have read is to

stay

away them.  I don't though because I like them and don't eat enough I feel to

make it much difference.

Sent: Wed, October 6, 2010 11:46:26 AM

Subject: thyroid

I'd heard radishes are good for thyroid?  I like to saute them til tender and

brown.