RemedySpot.com

Just diagnosed

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Tonni, you can bet this group are alot of wonderful people i'm still learning i found out dec 2006 and i go aug 23th of this month to find out what the test show and they are going to do a liver bx not sure what it mean's for me but thanks to this group i don't feel alone i don't post very much but i read alot of the posted well good luck take care janieTonni Brende wrote: Thank you very much for the detailed info. MY KIDS ARE ALL NEGATIVE!!!!!!! I do not understand how I conceived my 8 year old, after getting clean, but yet he is negative. But, then again, THANK YOU JESUS, for this gift. For with my sons special needs, and meds he needs, this would have killed him. I am active, and awaiting the load and genotype tests, plus whatever else they ordered. They took the blood Friday???? My husband hsa not yet been tested, but should be next week. Have to await doc to call back with a time and date. Beyond that, I think the questions will load up when I get my test results and find out truly what all this means for me. I have been reading other posts, and am very curious about this ammonia thing. May, 2 years ago, I started sweating like I was going thru the change. I would shower, sweat like a pig getting dressed, etc. I stopped pop and hit the water hard, and things went back to normal. And now that I am drinking more coffeee, less water, sweats are back. And the body odor I smell all the time; I think it is nasty. I have asked my kids, but they don't say much. Anyway, I am curious to see what these levels are in regards to that. Tonni Motley <dmotleybellsouth (DOT) net> wrote: Hi Tonni, welcome to the family. The first thing I want to tell you is that we DON’T CARE how you got hep c, and we don’t talk about it except maybe when we’re all reminiscing or something. It doesn’t matter. What matters is that we have it and we’re all equal now, fighting the same fight. We can’t blame ourselves for anyone we might have given it to before we knew we had it either. Who knows, that person you think you might have given it to, might actually have given it to you, but IT DOESN’T MATTER now, because the fact is we have it and we have to deal with it. You stop judging yourself for getting it and that will be a big step. When people ask me how I got it, I say it doesn’t really matter now, does it? It’s really scary waiting to find out if our kids have it, too. Thankfully, both mine tested negative. But we can’t change it. It is what it is and we just have to deal with whatever news we get. Everything gets less scary as we educate ourselves and learn the facts rather than dealing with myths and unknowns. I highly recommend the book I’m putting at the end of this email. Here are the basics: Now that you’re positive, you get another test to see if it’s active. A very small percentage of people clear without becoming chronic like us. Then they check your viral load and genotype. Then you get a biopsy to see how much liver damage you have and you discuss treatment with your doctor. Here’s the book (off amazon.com): Living with Hepatitis C: A Survivor's Guide, Fourth Edition (Living with) by T. Everson and Hedy Weinberg (Paperback - Jul 18, 2006) Buy new: $15.95

$11.96 28 Used & new from $9.48 Usually ships in 1 to 3 weeks Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping. Books: See all 17 items -----Original Message-----From: HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies [mailto:HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies ] On Behalf Of tbrende7Sent: Monday, July 30, 2007 6:04 PMTo: HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies Subject: just diagnosed May 16, 1997 was the last day I stuck a needle in my arm. Lost my baby girls about a year earlier, due to my lifesytyle; that's when I started using dirty needles..I truly wanted to die.Toay, 10 years later, I am not even close to that same person. I have my girls back, a loving husband, a wonderful son, plus 2 more sons, as I just adopted 2 grandsons. Beyond that, my 8 year old son, athan, is the only one of my 5 kids, who's test results ain't in yet; other 4 tested negative. He is a Spastic Quad CP from before birth. But he is also my only child born since sobriety. I heth is was the test I was most worried about, and his is the onl;y result I haven't yet got.My husband hasn't gotten test yet. He says

it don't matter either way, and that since he is a vietnam vet, that they test him all the time. ot the same. Still needs to get it done. But glad to hear his logic.Was gonna try a support meeting tonight, but it was cancelled. Not ready to face the judgng world, but ready to know what I need to do now. I saw a doc, as my resuls came in the mail, after donating blood.They ran a bunch of blood work and can't tell me for sure when the results will be in. At that time, I will need to know what is the right thing to do next.Right now, I guess my tears are trly from knwing that I did 8 years of aids testing, and all were negative....no one even stated that I should test for this. My son has had numerous surgeries and testing, so I pray he does not have this, but still don't know for sure. I don't know if I can handle things if I passed it on.?.Still awaiting results; wondering about what tomorrow

holds; buet holding today together.Tonni Tonni Brende Wife, Mother, Grandma too WORRY ABOUT NOTHING...PRAY ABOUT EVERYTHING. I would rather walk with God in the dark, then to walk alone in the light. athan - He can't sit alone, who wants to. He can't stand alone, who needs to. He can't speak our language, but is more understood than most. He can melt anger with a smile. He can quiet a loud room without speaking. And he can teach every single one of us that the little things are what

are important. He is our gift and we are forever grateful. Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on, when.

Got a little couch potato?

Check out fun summer activities for kids.

Guest guest

Tonni, you can bet this group are alot of wonderful people i'm still learning i found out dec 2006 and i go aug 23th of this month to find out what the test show and they are going to do a liver bx not sure what it mean's for me but thanks to this group i don't feel alone i don't post very much but i read alot of the posted well good luck take care janieTonni Brende wrote: Thank you very much for the detailed info. MY KIDS ARE ALL NEGATIVE!!!!!!! I do not understand how I conceived my 8 year old, after getting clean, but yet he is negative. But, then again, THANK YOU JESUS, for this gift. For with my sons special needs, and meds he needs, this would have killed him. I am active, and awaiting the load and genotype tests, plus whatever else they ordered. They took the blood Friday???? My husband hsa not yet been tested, but should be next week. Have to await doc to call back with a time and date. Beyond that, I think the questions will load up when I get my test results and find out truly what all this means for me. I have been reading other posts, and am very curious about this ammonia thing. May, 2 years ago, I started sweating like I was going thru the change. I would shower, sweat like a pig getting dressed, etc. I stopped pop and hit the water hard, and things went back to normal. And now that I am drinking more coffeee, less water, sweats are back. And the body odor I smell all the time; I think it is nasty. I have asked my kids, but they don't say much. Anyway, I am curious to see what these levels are in regards to that. Tonni Motley <dmotleybellsouth (DOT) net> wrote: Hi Tonni, welcome to the family. The first thing I want to tell you is that we DON’T CARE how you got hep c, and we don’t talk about it except maybe when we’re all reminiscing or something. It doesn’t matter. What matters is that we have it and we’re all equal now, fighting the same fight. We can’t blame ourselves for anyone we might have given it to before we knew we had it either. Who knows, that person you think you might have given it to, might actually have given it to you, but IT DOESN’T MATTER now, because the fact is we have it and we have to deal with it. You stop judging yourself for getting it and that will be a big step. When people ask me how I got it, I say it doesn’t really matter now, does it? It’s really scary waiting to find out if our kids have it, too. Thankfully, both mine tested negative. But we can’t change it. It is what it is and we just have to deal with whatever news we get. Everything gets less scary as we educate ourselves and learn the facts rather than dealing with myths and unknowns. I highly recommend the book I’m putting at the end of this email. Here are the basics: Now that you’re positive, you get another test to see if it’s active. A very small percentage of people clear without becoming chronic like us. Then they check your viral load and genotype. Then you get a biopsy to see how much liver damage you have and you discuss treatment with your doctor. Here’s the book (off amazon.com): Living with Hepatitis C: A Survivor's Guide, Fourth Edition (Living with) by T. Everson and Hedy Weinberg (Paperback - Jul 18, 2006) Buy new: $15.95

$11.96 28 Used & new from $9.48 Usually ships in 1 to 3 weeks Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping. Books: See all 17 items -----Original Message-----From: HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies [mailto:HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies ] On Behalf Of tbrende7Sent: Monday, July 30, 2007 6:04 PMTo: HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies Subject: just diagnosed May 16, 1997 was the last day I stuck a needle in my arm. Lost my baby girls about a year earlier, due to my lifesytyle; that's when I started using dirty needles..I truly wanted to die.Toay, 10 years later, I am not even close to that same person. I have my girls back, a loving husband, a wonderful son, plus 2 more sons, as I just adopted 2 grandsons. Beyond that, my 8 year old son, athan, is the only one of my 5 kids, who's test results ain't in yet; other 4 tested negative. He is a Spastic Quad CP from before birth. But he is also my only child born since sobriety. I heth is was the test I was most worried about, and his is the onl;y result I haven't yet got.My husband hasn't gotten test yet. He says

it don't matter either way, and that since he is a vietnam vet, that they test him all the time. ot the same. Still needs to get it done. But glad to hear his logic.Was gonna try a support meeting tonight, but it was cancelled. Not ready to face the judgng world, but ready to know what I need to do now. I saw a doc, as my resuls came in the mail, after donating blood.They ran a bunch of blood work and can't tell me for sure when the results will be in. At that time, I will need to know what is the right thing to do next.Right now, I guess my tears are trly from knwing that I did 8 years of aids testing, and all were negative....no one even stated that I should test for this. My son has had numerous surgeries and testing, so I pray he does not have this, but still don't know for sure. I don't know if I can handle things if I passed it on.?.Still awaiting results; wondering about what tomorrow

holds; buet holding today together.Tonni Tonni Brende Wife, Mother, Grandma too WORRY ABOUT NOTHING...PRAY ABOUT EVERYTHING. I would rather walk with God in the dark, then to walk alone in the light. athan - He can't sit alone, who wants to. He can't stand alone, who needs to. He can't speak our language, but is more understood than most. He can melt anger with a smile. He can quiet a loud room without speaking. And he can teach every single one of us that the little things are what

are important. He is our gift and we are forever grateful. Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on, when.

Guest guest

Guest guest

, I agree with you 100% what's done is done. It's what you do in the future that now counts at least in my opinion. I could care less where I got it, I have it and that's a fact so now I do what I can to slay this dragon and make sure I don't pass it on. Love and hugs to all...ww/pat Motley wrote: Hi Tonni, welcome to the family. The first thing I want to tell you is that we DON’T CARE how you got hep c, and we don’t talk about it except maybe when we’re all reminiscing or something. It doesn’t matter. What matters is that we have it and we’re all equal now, fighting the same fight. We can’t blame ourselves for anyone we might have given it to before we knew we had it either. Who knows, that person you think you might have given it to, might actually have given it to you, but IT DOESN’T MATTER now, because the fact is we have it and we have to deal with it. You stop judging yourself for getting it and that will be a big step. When people ask me how I got it, I say it doesn’t really matter now, does it? It’s really scary waiting to find out if our kids have it, too. Thankfully, both mine tested negative. But we can’t change it. It is what it is and we just have to deal with whatever news we get. Everything gets less scary as we educate ourselves and learn the facts rather than dealing with myths and unknowns. I highly recommend the book I’m putting at the end of this email. Here are the basics: Now that you’re positive, you get another test to see if it’s active. A very small percentage of people clear without becoming chronic like us. Then they check your viral load and genotype. Then you get a biopsy to see how much liver damage you have and you discuss treatment with your doctor. Here’s the book (off amazon.com): Living with Hepatitis C: A Survivor's Guide, Fourth Edition (Living with) by T. Everson and Hedy Weinberg (Paperback - Jul 18, 2006) Buy new: $15.95

holds; buet holding today together.Tonni

Guest guest

I do know that cofee, like oth things in life, lowers your metabolism. But I also know it is the only "treat" I still have. So, what is this whole dehydration, water thing all about? I guess I will need to weigh the pros and cons on this one. TonniYOURPHOTOMAN wrote: No way,.I need my coffee fix daily   If you do care for someone let them know it...before its too late!!! http://360.yahoo.com/PHOTOGUYMARV -- RE: just diagnosed I was told that coffee could dehydrate you. Tonni Brende <tbrende7> wrote: 2 cups of coffee!!!!!!!!!! Some days I drink coffee all day long. Most is 3-5 cups. Why only 2? TVickieG <onelildeltagirl> wrote: Hi, Tonni. God is so good to us all. He loves us so much. Try not to drink more than 2 cups a day of coffee. And, start getting used to drinking lots of water. It'll help when you start tx. Hugs. VickieG Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel. Tonni Brende Wife, Mother, Grandma too WORRY ABOUT NOTHING...PRAY ABOUT EVERYTHING. I would rather walk with God in the dark, then to walk alone in the light. athan - He can't sit alone, who wants to. He can't stand alone, who needs to. He can't speak our language, but is more understood than most. He can melt anger with a smile. He can quiet a loud room without speaking. And he can teach every single one of us that the little things are what are important. He

is our gift and we are forever grateful.

Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! - their life, your story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.

Guest guest

TONNI CONGRATS HONEY. HUgs dTonni Brende wrote: Thank you very much for the detailed info. MY KIDS ARE ALL NEGATIVE!!!!!!! I do not understand how I conceived my 8 year old, after getting clean, but yet he is negative. But, then again, THANK YOU JESUS, for this gift. For with my sons special needs, and meds he needs, this would have killed him. I am active, and

awaiting the load and genotype tests, plus whatever else they ordered. They took the blood Friday???? My husband hsa not yet been tested, but should be next week. Have to await doc to call back with a time and date. Beyond that, I think the questions will load up when I get my test results and find out truly what all this means for me. I have been reading other posts, and am very curious about this ammonia thing. May, 2 years ago, I started sweating like I was going thru the change. I would shower, sweat like a pig getting dressed, etc. I stopped pop and hit the water hard, and things went back to normal. And now that I am drinking more coffeee, less water, sweats are back. And the body odor I smell all the time; I think it is nasty. I have asked my kids, but they don't say much. Anyway, I am curious to see what these levels are in regards to that. Tonni .

Guest guest

TONNI CONGRATS HONEY. HUgs dTonni Brende wrote: Thank you very much for the detailed info. MY KIDS ARE ALL NEGATIVE!!!!!!! I do not understand how I conceived my 8 year old, after getting clean, but yet he is negative. But, then again, THANK YOU JESUS, for this gift. For with my sons special needs, and meds he needs, this would have killed him. I am active, and

awaiting the load and genotype tests, plus whatever else they ordered. They took the blood Friday???? My husband hsa not yet been tested, but should be next week. Have to await doc to call back with a time and date. Beyond that, I think the questions will load up when I get my test results and find out truly what all this means for me. I have been reading other posts, and am very curious about this ammonia thing. May, 2 years ago, I started sweating like I was going thru the change. I would shower, sweat like a pig getting dressed, etc. I stopped pop and hit the water hard, and things went back to normal. And now that I am drinking more coffeee, less water, sweats are back. And the body odor I smell all the time; I think it is nasty. I have asked my kids, but they don't say much. Anyway, I am curious to see what these levels are in regards to that. Tonni .

Guest guest

I went through that when my viral load was up.That is the best time to get your bloodwork done.

Gail

-----Original Message-----From: HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies [mailto:HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies ]On Behalf Of Tonni BrendeSent: August 1, 2007 6:42 AMTo: HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies Subject: RE: just diagnosed

Thank you very much for the detailed info.

MY KIDS ARE ALL NEGATIVE!!!!!!!

I do not understand how I conceived my 8 year old, after getting clean, but yet he is negative. But, then again, THANK YOU JESUS, for this gift. For with my sons special needs, and meds he needs, this would have killed him.

I am active, and awaiting the load and genotype tests, plus whatever else they ordered. They took the blood Friday????

My husband hsa not yet been tested, but should be next week. Have to await doc to call back with a time and date.

Beyond that, I think the questions will load up when I get my test results and find out truly what all this means for me. I have been reading other posts, and am very curious about this ammonia thing. May, 2 years ago, I started sweating like I was going thru the change. I would shower, sweat like a pig getting dressed, etc. I stopped pop and hit the water hard, and things went back to normal. And now that I am drinking more coffeee, less water, sweats are back. And the body odor I smell all the time; I think it is nasty. I have asked my kids, but they don't say much. Anyway, I am curious to see what these levels are in regards to that.

Tonni Motley wrote:

Hi Tonni, welcome to the family. The first thing I want to tell you is that we DON’T CARE how you got hep c, and we don’t talk about it except maybe when we’re all reminiscing or something. It doesn’t matter. What matters is that we have it and we’re all equal now, fighting the same fight. We can’t blame ourselves for anyone we might have given it to before we knew we had it either. Who knows, that person you think you might have given it to, might actually have given it to you, but IT DOESN’T MATTER now, because the fact is we have it and we have to deal with it. You stop judging yourself for getting it and that will be a big step. When people ask me how I got it, I say it doesn’t really matter now, does it?

It’s really scary waiting to find out if our kids have it, too. Thankfully, both mine tested negative. But we can’t change it. It is what it is and we just have to deal with whatever news we get. Everything gets less scary as we educate ourselves and learn the facts rather than dealing with myths and unknowns. I highly recommend the book I’m putting at the end of this email.

Here are the basics:

Now that you’re positive, you get another test to see if it’s active. A very small percentage of people clear without becoming chronic like us. Then they check your viral load and genotype. Then you get a biopsy to see how much liver damage you have and you discuss treatment with your doctor.

Here’s the book (off amazon.com):

Living with Hepatitis C: A Survivor's Guide, Fourth Edition (Living with) by T. Everson and Hedy Weinberg (Paperback - Jul 18, 2006)

Buy new: $15.95 $11.96 28 Used & new from $9.48

Usually ships in 1 to 3 weeks

Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.

Books: See all 17 items

-----Original Message-----From: HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies [mailto:HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies ] On Behalf Of tbrende7Sent: Monday, July 30, 2007 6:04 PMTo: HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies Subject: just diagnosed

May 16, 1997 was the last day I stuck a needle in my arm. Lost my baby girls about a year earlier, due to my lifesytyle; that's when I started using dirty needles..I truly wanted to die.Toay, 10 years later, I am not even close to that same person. I have my girls back, a loving husband, a wonderful son, plus 2 more sons, as I just adopted 2 grandsons. Beyond that, my 8 year old son, athan, is the only one of my 5 kids, who's test results ain't in yet; other 4 tested negative. He is a Spastic Quad CP from before birth. But he is also my only child born since sobriety. I heth is was the test I was most worried about, and his is the onl;y result I haven't yet got.My husband hasn't gotten test yet. He says it don't matter either way, and that since he is a vietnam vet, that they test him all the time. ot the same. Still needs to get it done. But glad to hear his logic.Was gonna try a support meeting tonight, but it was cancelled. Not ready to face the judgng world, but ready to know what I need to do now. I saw a doc, as my resuls came in the mail, after donating blood.They ran a bunch of blood work and can't tell me for sure when the results will be in. At that time, I will need to know what is the right thing to do next.Right now, I guess my tears are trly from knwing that I did 8 years of aids testing, and all were negative....no one even stated that I should test for this. My son has had numerous surgeries and testing, so I pray he does not have this, but still don't know for sure. I don't know if I can handle things if I passed it on.?.Still awaiting results; wondering about what tomorrow holds; buet holding today together.Tonni

Tonni Brende Wife, Mother, Grandma too WORRY ABOUT NOTHING...PRAY ABOUT EVERYTHING. I would rather walk with God in the dark, then to walk alone in the light. athan - He can't sit alone, who wants to. He can't stand alone, who needs to. He can't speak our language, but is more understood than most. He can melt anger with a smile. He can quiet a loud room without speaking. And he can teach every single one of us that the little things are what are important. He is our gift and we are forever grateful.

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on, when.

Guest guest

I went through that when my viral load was up.That is the best time to get your bloodwork done.

Gail

-----Original Message-----From: HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies [mailto:HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies ]On Behalf Of Tonni BrendeSent: August 1, 2007 6:42 AMTo: HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies Subject: RE: just diagnosed

Thank you very much for the detailed info.

MY KIDS ARE ALL NEGATIVE!!!!!!!

I do not understand how I conceived my 8 year old, after getting clean, but yet he is negative. But, then again, THANK YOU JESUS, for this gift. For with my sons special needs, and meds he needs, this would have killed him.

I am active, and awaiting the load and genotype tests, plus whatever else they ordered. They took the blood Friday????

My husband hsa not yet been tested, but should be next week. Have to await doc to call back with a time and date.

Beyond that, I think the questions will load up when I get my test results and find out truly what all this means for me. I have been reading other posts, and am very curious about this ammonia thing. May, 2 years ago, I started sweating like I was going thru the change. I would shower, sweat like a pig getting dressed, etc. I stopped pop and hit the water hard, and things went back to normal. And now that I am drinking more coffeee, less water, sweats are back. And the body odor I smell all the time; I think it is nasty. I have asked my kids, but they don't say much. Anyway, I am curious to see what these levels are in regards to that.

Tonni Motley wrote:

Hi Tonni, welcome to the family. The first thing I want to tell you is that we DON’T CARE how you got hep c, and we don’t talk about it except maybe when we’re all reminiscing or something. It doesn’t matter. What matters is that we have it and we’re all equal now, fighting the same fight. We can’t blame ourselves for anyone we might have given it to before we knew we had it either. Who knows, that person you think you might have given it to, might actually have given it to you, but IT DOESN’T MATTER now, because the fact is we have it and we have to deal with it. You stop judging yourself for getting it and that will be a big step. When people ask me how I got it, I say it doesn’t really matter now, does it?

It’s really scary waiting to find out if our kids have it, too. Thankfully, both mine tested negative. But we can’t change it. It is what it is and we just have to deal with whatever news we get. Everything gets less scary as we educate ourselves and learn the facts rather than dealing with myths and unknowns. I highly recommend the book I’m putting at the end of this email.

Here are the basics:

Now that you’re positive, you get another test to see if it’s active. A very small percentage of people clear without becoming chronic like us. Then they check your viral load and genotype. Then you get a biopsy to see how much liver damage you have and you discuss treatment with your doctor.

Here’s the book (off amazon.com):

Living with Hepatitis C: A Survivor's Guide, Fourth Edition (Living with) by T. Everson and Hedy Weinberg (Paperback - Jul 18, 2006)

Buy new: $15.95 $11.96 28 Used & new from $9.48

Usually ships in 1 to 3 weeks

Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.

Books: See all 17 items

-----Original Message-----From: HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies [mailto:HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies ] On Behalf Of tbrende7Sent: Monday, July 30, 2007 6:04 PMTo: HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies Subject: just diagnosed

May 16, 1997 was the last day I stuck a needle in my arm. Lost my baby girls about a year earlier, due to my lifesytyle; that's when I started using dirty needles..I truly wanted to die.Toay, 10 years later, I am not even close to that same person. I have my girls back, a loving husband, a wonderful son, plus 2 more sons, as I just adopted 2 grandsons. Beyond that, my 8 year old son, athan, is the only one of my 5 kids, who's test results ain't in yet; other 4 tested negative. He is a Spastic Quad CP from before birth. But he is also my only child born since sobriety. I heth is was the test I was most worried about, and his is the onl;y result I haven't yet got.My husband hasn't gotten test yet. He says it don't matter either way, and that since he is a vietnam vet, that they test him all the time. ot the same. Still needs to get it done. But glad to hear his logic.Was gonna try a support meeting tonight, but it was cancelled. Not ready to face the judgng world, but ready to know what I need to do now. I saw a doc, as my resuls came in the mail, after donating blood.They ran a bunch of blood work and can't tell me for sure when the results will be in. At that time, I will need to know what is the right thing to do next.Right now, I guess my tears are trly from knwing that I did 8 years of aids testing, and all were negative....no one even stated that I should test for this. My son has had numerous surgeries and testing, so I pray he does not have this, but still don't know for sure. I don't know if I can handle things if I passed it on.?.Still awaiting results; wondering about what tomorrow holds; buet holding today together.Tonni

Tonni Brende Wife, Mother, Grandma too WORRY ABOUT NOTHING...PRAY ABOUT EVERYTHING. I would rather walk with God in the dark, then to walk alone in the light. athan - He can't sit alone, who wants to. He can't stand alone, who needs to. He can't speak our language, but is more understood than most. He can melt anger with a smile. He can quiet a loud room without speaking. And he can teach every single one of us that the little things are what are important. He is our gift and we are forever grateful.

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on, when.

• 4 weeks later...

Donna,

Try using this search engine from the American Academy of Otolaryngology:

http://www.entnet.org/ent_otolaryngologist.cfm

Personally I'd look for an MD with a specialty in both otology and

neurotology - why ... because a lot of nerves run through the middle ear

and the additional expertise can't hurt. Here's an example:

http://www.newyorkotology.com/

Depending on what is determined by the doctor, you can likely schedule

the surgery for a time that will allow your daughter to continue her

studies without a stoppage. All the best.

Matt

parettifamily wrote:

>

> Hi! Nervous Mom here...just sent my first daughter away to college

> yesterday,I'm a wreck because I have learned that her estacheun tube

> dysfunction has progressed and she now has a perforated eardrum and a

> cholesteatoma. I'm trying to set up appointments for consults with N.Y.

> city specialists and don't know where to turn. After reading some of

> the horror stories of surgeries and complications...I'm a wreck. She

> will be home in 3 weeks...Can you direct me...Questions to ask

> specialists etc? Thank you for your help! Donna

>

>

--

Traci,

The CT and ultrasound only confirm that you have a lump in your right

adrenal. They can't characterize the lump as the source of the excess

aldosterone.

Very often such lumps indicated on CT, ultrasound, and MRI are actually

incendalomas in that they produce nothing, and the real culprit is

bi-lateral adrenal hyperplasia (in some cases, the patient has an aldo

producing adenoma and bi-lateral hyperplasia). Surgery will be of minimal,

if any, benefit in such cases. Hell of a risk to take without any evidence

that your PA is unilateral.

The only way to determine that the lump is the source, and the only source,

of excess aldosterone is via an adrenal venous sampling (AVS). If you

haven't had an AVS performed, you are jumping the gun on pursuing

adrenalectomy, and frankly, a competent surgeon who has experience with

adrenalectomy for Conn's should refuse your case without evidence of a

diseased organ from AVS (or at least an attempt at one). After you get a

successful AVS, which when done by an experienced interventional radiologist

is relatively low risk, should you be considering surgery.

-Jeff

On 9/1/07, tracirocks1 <traci@...> wrote:

>

> I'm a 39-year-old female and have just been diagnosed with Conn's. CT

> scan and ultrasound indicate a right adrenal adenoma, and it looks

> like I'll be having a laparoscopic adrenalectomy sometime in the next

> couple of months.

>

> I've been hypertensive for about 10 years and because I have a family

> history of HTN (my mother has had it since she was around 30), and I

> am somewhat overweight, it probably never occured to my doctors that

> there may be other underlying causes of my HTN besides heredity and

> lifestyle. I've been on nearly every available HTN med - usually at

> maximum doses - generally with only temporary and minimal success at

> controlling my HTN. They finally discovered that my potassium level

> was rock-bottom and unresponsive to supplements, and referred me to a

> series of specialists who were able to get to the root of the problem

> pretty quickly. Unfortunately, because my HTN has gone uncontrolled

> for so long, it's likely that I'll still have to be on meds after

> surgery, but they expect that my HTN will be much easier to control,

> with fewer meds at much smaller doses.

>

> From what I've been reading here, it sounds like I'm pretty lucky as

> I haven't suffered much from what seem to be the common symptoms

> (headaches, cramping, fatigue, depression), although I have seen some

> effects (irritability, mood swings, swollen ankles) over the past

> year or so. I just thought it was my weight and middle-aged hormones

> kicking in.

>

> At this point, I'm just happy that they've found the problem and that

> there is a solution. While awaiting surgery, I'm still taking Norvasc

> (10mg/day) and the doctor put me on aldactone (200mg/day) which has

> almost completely alleviated the swelling in my legs, although I

> think it is making me tired. My BP was 131/82 this morning. My

> consultation with the surgeon is at the end of September.

>

> I'm glad to learn that I'm not alone, even though Conn's is

> relatively rare. I've skimmed through some of the discussions here,

> and look forward to reading more. Three cheers for the internet!

>

>

>

Thanks for the info, Jeff. I probably should've been more exhaustive in my

introductory posting, but I was trying to keep it short. I've been referred to a

surgeon by the most recent in a series of specialists that I've seen (and that

chain of events in itself has been a drag due to a restrictive HMO - whole

'nother story...). At this point, the surgeon hasn't even received my charts

yet, but once he does, I fully anticipate that he'll want to do more testing.

Now I know to ask about an AVS if he doesn't request one anyway.

Obviously, this is all very new (and a little scary) to me, and as you know,

there is limited information available out there, although I'm trying to educate

myself, which is one of the reasons I joined this group. I'm sure you didn't

intend this, but the tone your post came across a bit abrasive/patronizing,

which was a little off-putting, as the other reason I joined this group was for

support. So I'll definitely be mining this forum for info, but I'm not sure that

I'll be posting further until I have a more comprehensive understanding of the

specifics of my personal situation.

-Traci

Re: Just Diagnosed

Traci,

The CT and ultrasound only confirm that you have a lump in your right

adrenal. They can't characterize the lump as the source of the excess

aldosterone.

Very often such lumps indicated on CT, ultrasound, and MRI are actually

incendalomas in that they produce nothing, and the real culprit is

bi-lateral adrenal hyperplasia (in some cases, the patient has an aldo

producing adenoma and bi-lateral hyperplasia). Surgery will be of minimal,

if any, benefit in such cases. Hell of a risk to take without any evidence

that your PA is unilateral.

The only way to determine that the lump is the source, and the only source,

of excess aldosterone is via an adrenal venous sampling (AVS). If you

haven't had an AVS performed, you are jumping the gun on pursuing

adrenalectomy, and frankly, a competent surgeon who has experience with

adrenalectomy for Conn's should refuse your case without evidence of a

diseased organ from AVS (or at least an attempt at one). After you get a

successful AVS, which when done by an experienced interventional radiologist

is relatively low risk, should you be considering surgery.

-Jeff

On 9/1/07, tracirocks1 <traci@...> wrote:

>

> couple of months.

>

>

> kicking in.

>

>

>

>

>

In a message dated 9/2/07 2:30:00 PM, datawrhsdoc@... writes:

> As such, most GPs

> may never see what they know to be a confirmed case during their careers.

>

I analysis is that every practicing physician has " seen " many cases of Conn's

Syndrome. They have just not recognized them!

Current estimates are that up to 10% of pts with " essential HTN " have Conn's

and it may be 3 x more common in those with " resisitant HTN " .

May your pressure be low!

Clarence E. Grim, BS, MS, MD

Senior Consultant to Shared Care Research and Consulting, Inc.

(sharedcareinc.com)

Clinical Professor of Internal Medicine and Epidemiology Med. Col. WI

Clinical Professor of Nursing, Univ. of WI, Milwaukee

Specializing in Difficult to Control High Blood Pressure

and the Physiology and History of Survival During

Hard Times and Heart Disease today.

Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at

http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

Traci: Please print and read my article on the evoution of Conn's and take

it to every Dr you are seeing now and send it to all who have missed your Dx

in the past.

Keep us posted.

In a message dated 9/2/07 3:58:55 AM, traci@... writes:

>

> Thanks for the info, Jeff. I probably should've been more exhaustive in my

> introductory posting, but I was trying to keep it short. I've been referred to

> a surgeon by the most recent in a series of specialists that I've seen (and

> that chain of events in itself has been a drag due to a restrictive HMO -

> whole 'nother story...). At this point, the surgeon hasn't even received my

> charts yet, but once he does, I fully anticipate that he'll want to do more

> testing. Now I know to ask about an AVS if he doesn't request one anyway.

>

> Obviously, this is all very new (and a little scary) to me, and as you know,

> there is limited information available out there, although I'm trying to

> educate myself, which is one of the reasons I joined this group. I'm sure you

> didn't intend this, but the tone your post came across a bit

> abrasive/patronizin Obviously, this is all very new (and a little scary) to

me, and as you

> know, there is limited information available out there, although I'm trying to

> educate myself, which is one of the reasons I joined this group. I'm sure you

> didn't intend this, but the tone your post came a

>

> -Traci

>

> Re:

>

> Traci,

>

> The CT and ultrasound only confirm that you have a lump in your right

> adrenal. They can't characterize the lump as the source of the excess

> aldosterone.

>

> Very often such lumps indicated on CT, ultrasound, and MRI are actually

> incendalomas in that they produce nothing, and the real culprit is

> bi-lateral adrenal hyperplasia (in some cases, the patient has an aldo

> producing adenoma and bi-lateral hyperplasia) producing adenoma and bi-l

> if any, benefit in such cases. Hell of a risk to take without any evidence

> that your PA is unilateral.

>

> The only way to determine that the lump is the source, and the only source,

> of excess aldosterone is via an adrenal venous sampling (AVS). If you

> haven't had an AVS performed, you are jumping the gun on pursuing

> adrenalectomy, and frankly, a competent surgeon who has experience with

> adrenalectomy for Conn's should refuse your case without evidence of a

> diseased organ from AVS (or at least an attempt at one). After you get a

> successful AVS, which when done by an experienced interventional radiologist

> is relatively low risk, should you be considering surgery.

>

> -Jeff

>

> On 9/1/07, tracirocks1 <traci@...> wrote:

> >

> > I'm a 39-year-old female and have just been diagnosed with Conn's. CT

> > scan and ultrasound indicate a right adrenal adenoma, and it looks

> > like I'll be having a laparoscopic adrenalectomy sometime in the next

> > couple of months.

> >

> > I've been hypertensive for about 10 years and because I have a family

> > history of HTN (my mother has had it since she was around 30), and I

> > am somewhat overweight, it probably never occured to my doctors that

> > there may be other underlying causes of my HTN besides heredity and

> > lifestyle. I've been on nearly every available HTN med - usually at

> > maximum doses - generally with only temporary and minimal success at

> > controlling my HTN. They finally discovered that my potassium level

> > was rock-bottom and unresponsive to supplements, and referred me to a

> > series of specialists who were able to get to the root of the problem

> > pretty quickly. Unfortunately, because my HTN has gone uncontrolled

> > for so long, it's likely that I'll still have to be on meds after

> > surgery, but they expect that my HTN will be much easier to control,

> > with fewer meds at much smaller doses.

> >

> > From what I've been reading here, it sounds like I'm pretty lucky as

> > I haven't suffered much from what seem to be the common symptoms

> > (headaches, cramping, fatigue, depression), although I have seen some

> > effects (irritability, mood swings, swollen ankles) over the past

> > year or so. I just thought it was my weight and middle-aged hormones

> > kicking in.

> >

> > At this point, I'm just happy that they've found the problem and that

> > there is a solution. While awaiting surgery, I'm still taking Norvasc

> > (10mg/day) and the doctor put me on aldactone (200mg/day) which has

> > almost completely alleviated the swelling in my legs, although I

> > think it is making me tired. My BP was 131/82 this morning. My

> > consultation with the surgeon is at the end of September.

> >

> > I'm glad to learn that I'm not alone, even though Conn's is

> > relatively rare. I've skimmed through some of the discussions here,

> > and look forward to reading more. Three cheers for the internet!

> >

> >

> >

>

>

Please give us your renin and aldo results.

Has your mother also had low K problems? If so you may have the rare

familial syndrome and 50% of your first degree relatives will also have it. If

you

have this then all of your relatives should also be tested. I have seen 2

families with this. Including the first family in whose Ks were normal.

I assume you do not each licorice or use anything with licorice flavoring

every day including chewing tobacco or snuff.

(sharedcareinc.com)

In a message dated 9/1/07 8:52:10 PM, traci@... writes:

>

> couple of months.

>

> lifestyle.

>

They should have suspected familial Conn's variant with a strong Family Hx.

> I've been on nearly every available HTN med - usually at

> controlling my HTN.

>

See my article on why most drugs dont work in Conn's.

> They finally discovered that my potassium level

> pretty quickly.

>

I asume they also found the K was high in your urine???

> Unfortunately, because my HTN has gone uncontrolled

>

Spiro or Inspra and DASHing will reverse most of these.

>

> kicking in.

>

>

>

It is not rare and I have been saying this (along with Dr. Conn) for over 30

years.

>

>

>

(sharedcareinc.com)

Dave from our group is from the Bay area and can make recommendations. I am

in the process of retiring to Lake Tahoe (south) and will be setting up a

consultation service for difficult HTN-esp primary aldo. So you can ski and

get

your BP controlled at the same time.

(sharedcareinc.com)

Sorry Traci. It wasn't my intent to be abrasive/patronizing. Sometimes

email is difficult medium to impart emotional tone.

Rather, it was my intent to provide you with some caring and concerned

advise, as the purpose of the discussion group to support others in getting

proper diagnosis and successful treatment. As part of this, we watch out

for each others, particularly those that are relatively new to this.

Most of us have been through some sort of living hell, myself included, in

the course of getting a proper diagnosis and successful treatment.

Certainly, nobody here would want you to go through the risk of an invasive

surgery where an organ is removed if there is no evidence the surgery will

fix your problem. (As an aside, after being very ill and undiagnosed for

many years, I had my left adrenal removed in December 11, 2006. I am very

healthy now, both physically and mentally.)

As you already know, Conn's Syndrome is considered to be a relatively rare

condition by the most physicians (those in the know, like Dr. Grim, believe

it is much more common than taught in medical school). As such, most GPs

may never see what they know to be a confirmed case during their careers.

The average endocrinologist or nephrologist may see a handful of confirmed

cases over their career. Given that, very few physicians in general

practice are knowledgeable regarding diagnosis of the condition, while most

specialists are not current. Almost all of us have been to _many_ otherwise

very good doctors who were ill-informed or worse regarding Conns.

I wasn't questioning your diagnosis of Primary Aldosteronism. The low

potassium and responsiveness to the adactone, all but confirms it. What I

was saying is that a consultation with a surgeon is premature if an AVS

hasn't been done. The surgeon's job isn't to make a diagnosis or send you

out for additional tests (they aren't supposed to have the experience to do

so) but rather to remove diseased tissue. Right now, nobody knows with any

certainty that your right adrenal is actually the source and only source

your problem.

If the AVS has not been recommended (or discussed with you) by the referring

physician, either the doc is not sufficiently knowledgeable about your

condition...or is trying to save the HMO money by avoiding an expensive AVS

and rolling the dice with your health. Neither situation is one that you

probably want to be in.

Also, should you end up consulting with a surgeon, be sure to ask how many

laporoscopic adrenalectomies he or she has done in the past 5 years. This

a tricky and rarely performed procedure. The likelihood of an excellent

outcome is very good in the hands of a skilled and experienced surgeon. In

the hands of one that does not routinely perform the procedure, the risk of

a conversion to an open procedure or other negative outcome is significantly

increased.

Please let us know how we can help you out. There are many excellent

diagnosticians and surgeons out there that we could perhaps refer you to as

well as guide you in other ways through this often confusing process.

-Jeff

On 9/2/07, Traci T <traci@...> wrote:

>

> Thanks for the info, Jeff. I probably should've been more exhaustive in

> my introductory posting, but I was trying to keep it short. I've been

> referred to a surgeon by the most recent in a series of specialists that

> I've seen (and that chain of events in itself has been a drag due to a

> restrictive HMO - whole 'nother story...). At this point, the surgeon hasn't

> even received my charts yet, but once he does, I fully anticipate that he'll

> want to do more testing. Now I know to ask about an AVS if he doesn't

> request one anyway.

>

> Obviously, this is all very new (and a little scary) to me, and as you

> know, there is limited information available out there, although I'm trying

> to educate myself, which is one of the reasons I joined this group. I'm sure

> you didn't intend this, but the tone your post came across a bit

> abrasive/patronizing, which was a little off-putting, as the other reason I

> joined this group was for support. So I'll definitely be mining this forum

> for info, but I'm not sure that I'll be posting further until I have a more

> comprehensive understanding of the specifics of my personal situation.

>

> -Traci

>

>

> Re: Just Diagnosed

>

> Traci,

>

> aldosterone.

>

> producing adenoma and bi-lateral hyperplasia). Surgery will be of minimal,

>

> The only way to determine that the lump is the source, and the only

> source,

> successful AVS, which when done by an experienced interventional

> radiologist

>

> -Jeff

>

> On 9/1/07, tracirocks1 <traci@... <traci%40tracirocks.com>>

> wrote:

> >

> > couple of months.

> >

> >

> > kicking in.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

>

Thanks, Jeff. Excuse me for being a little sensitive, but your post just made me

feel a little stupid - just kind of overwhelming coming from a complete stranger

on the Internet.

I do appreciate the info and will call my nephrologist on Monday to ask about an

AVS. It's my guess that he's not current on info, but I do have confidence that

he'd want me to get proper treatment for my PA, so I'll discuss it further with

him. For now, I'm going to keep the consultation appointment with the surgeon

(it's not until the end of the month) in case it turns out that I will need the

adrenalectomy.

I live in the San Francisco area (actually about an hour north), so if anyone

has any recommendations as far as doctors in the Bay Area, I'm open to

suggestions. However, for now, I'm also at the mercy of my HMO (i.e., doctors in

my network) until my company has its next open enrollment in Juy 2008. I'm

assuming that even though I've probably had my condition for quite some time, I

probably shouldn't wait another year before seeking treatment.

I'll keep you posted.

-Traci

Re: Just Diagnosed

>

> Traci,

>

> aldosterone.

>

> producing adenoma and bi-lateral hyperplasia). Surgery will be of minimal,

>

> The only way to determine that the lump is the source, and the only

> source,

> successful AVS, which when done by an experienced interventional

> radiologist

>

> -Jeff

>

> On 9/1/07, tracirocks1 <traci@... <traci%40tracirocks.com>>

> wrote:

> >

> > couple of months.

> >

> >

> > kicking in.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

>

Traci,

I understand. I was " Mr. Sensitive " prior to getting the aldo under control

(see archives for details). It kind of goes with the territory. That said,

I didn't know jack prior to finding the group, but did have a pretty good

grasp of medical lingo having grown up with a nephologist as my father (he

wasn't clued into the Conn's either after a detailed review of my records,

but did a Homer style 'Doh' once the my problem was initially classified as

PA). I wasn't stupid...just ignorant, but no more so than many of my

physicians. You aren't stupid either.

I consulted with a couple of surgeons prior to the AVS as well. It wasn't

to schedule the surgery, but instead it was to interview them should AVS

would show surgery to be appropriate. I'm glad I did. Only 4 surgical

teams in Atlanta appeared to have experience in laporscopic adrenalectomy.

1 had just about to retire and no longer seeing non-cancer patients. Of the

remaining three, 2 would have been a problem either due to insufficient

experience or just because the lead surgeon was a complete a--holes and

would not be able to effectively coordinate care with my endocrinologist and

internist.

By the way, if you can get the HTN under control with the aldactone or

another aldo blocker, it might be best to wait on surgery until you can get

with the right doctor. In my case, my term life was about to run out, and I

found a solid surgeon, so I rushed forward with the surgery. Very personal

decision either way...

Best of luck to you.

-Jeff

>

> Thanks, Jeff. Excuse me for being a little sensitive, but your post just

> made me feel a little stupid - just kind of overwhelming coming from a

> complete stranger on the Internet.

>

> I do appreciate the info and will call my nephrologist on Monday to ask

> about an AVS. It's my guess that he's not current on info, but I do have

> confidence that he'd want me to get proper treatment for my PA, so I'll

> discuss it further with him. For now, I'm going to keep the consultation

> appointment with the surgeon (it's not until the end of the month) in case

> it turns out that I will need the adrenalectomy.

>

> I live in the San Francisco area (actually about an hour north), so if

> anyone has any recommendations as far as doctors in the Bay Area, I'm open

> to suggestions. However, for now, I'm also at the mercy of my HMO (i.e.,

> doctors in my network) until my company has its next open enrollment in Juy

> 2008. I'm assuming that even though I've probably had my condition for quite

> some time, I probably shouldn't wait another year before seeking treatment.

>

> I'll keep you posted.

>

> -Traci

>

> >

> > Traci,

> >

> > The CT and ultrasound only confirm that you have a lump in your right

> > adrenal. They can't characterize the lump as the source of the excess

> > aldosterone.

> >

> > Very often such lumps indicated on CT, ultrasound, and MRI are actually

> > incendalomas in that they produce nothing, and the real culprit is

> > bi-lateral adrenal hyperplasia (in some cases, the patient has an aldo

> > producing adenoma and bi-lateral hyperplasia). Surgery will be of

> minimal,

> > if any, benefit in such cases. Hell of a risk to take without any

> evidence

> > that your PA is unilateral.

> >

> > The only way to determine that the lump is the source, and the only

> > source,

> > of excess aldosterone is via an adrenal venous sampling (AVS). If you

> > haven't had an AVS performed, you are jumping the gun on pursuing

> > adrenalectomy, and frankly, a competent surgeon who has experience with

> > adrenalectomy for Conn's should refuse your case without evidence of a

> > diseased organ from AVS (or at least an attempt at one). After you get a

> > successful AVS, which when done by an experienced interventional

> > radiologist

> > is relatively low risk, should you be considering surgery.

> >

> > -Jeff

> >

> > On 9/1/07, tracirocks1 <traci@...

<traci%40tracirocks.com><traci%40tracirocks.com>>

> > wrote:

> > >

> > > I'm a 39-year-old female and have just been diagnosed with Conn's. CT

> > > scan and ultrasound indicate a right adrenal adenoma, and it looks

> > > like I'll be having a laparoscopic adrenalectomy sometime in the next

> > > couple of months.

> > >

> > > I've been hypertensive for about 10 years and because I have a family

> > > history of HTN (my mother has had it since she was around 30), and I

> > > am somewhat overweight, it probably never occured to my doctors that

> > > there may be other underlying causes of my HTN besides heredity and

> > > lifestyle. I've been on nearly every available HTN med - usually at

> > > maximum doses - generally with only temporary and minimal success at

> > > controlling my HTN. They finally discovered that my potassium level

> > > was rock-bottom and unresponsive to supplements, and referred me to a

> > > series of specialists who were able to get to the root of the problem

> > > pretty quickly. Unfortunately, because my HTN has gone uncontrolled

> > > for so long, it's likely that I'll still have to be on meds after

> > > surgery, but they expect that my HTN will be much easier to control,

> > > with fewer meds at much smaller doses.

> > >

> > > From what I've been reading here, it sounds like I'm pretty lucky as

> > > I haven't suffered much from what seem to be the common symptoms

> > > (headaches, cramping, fatigue, depression), although I have seen some

> > > effects (irritability, mood swings, swollen ankles) over the past

> > > year or so. I just thought it was my weight and middle-aged hormones

> > > kicking in.

> > >

> > > At this point, I'm just happy that they've found the problem and that

> > > there is a solution. While awaiting surgery, I'm still taking Norvasc

> > > (10mg/day) and the doctor put me on aldactone (200mg/day) which has

> > > almost completely alleviated the swelling in my legs, although I

> > > think it is making me tired. My BP was 131/82 this morning. My

> > > consultation with the surgeon is at the end of September.

> > >

> > > I'm glad to learn that I'm not alone, even though Conn's is

> > > relatively rare. I've skimmed through some of the discussions here,

> > > and look forward to reading more. Three cheers for the internet!

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

Hi there,

If you need some spirit-lifting while you go through all of the rough

spots in the coming months, do a search for my case. I was one of the

lucky ones....big time. I would be glad to answer any questions you

have during this scary time of investigation & realization, although

I only check in once and a while, as my surgery was back in Sept.

of '05. Dr. Grimm is our local expert on the subject, and there are

many, many stories on this forum on all of our struggles & successes.

Best of luck to you in your quest for knowledge and improved health.

Kind Regards,

-Kip

>

> I'm a 39-year-old female and have just been diagnosed with Conn's.

CT

> like I'll be having a laparoscopic adrenalectomy sometime in the

next

> couple of months.

>

> I've been hypertensive for about 10 years and because I have a

family

> history of HTN (my mother has had it since she was around 30), and

I

> am somewhat overweight, it probably never occured to my doctors

that

> maximum doses - generally with only temporary and minimal success

at

> was rock-bottom and unresponsive to supplements, and referred me to

a

> series of specialists who were able to get to the root of the

problem

> surgery, but they expect that my HTN will be much easier to

control,

>

> From what I've been reading here, it sounds like I'm pretty lucky

as

> (headaches, cramping, fatigue, depression), although I have seen

some

> year or so. I just thought it was my weight and middle-aged

hormones

> kicking in.

>

> At this point, I'm just happy that they've found the problem and

that

> there is a solution. While awaiting surgery, I'm still taking

Norvasc

>

>

Hi Traci:

Where in the Bay Area do you live? I live in San area and it took me a

good couple of years to find a good doctor here who actually knows about PA

and researches it with Dr. Young in Mayo Clinic. Unfortunately it took a

long time for me to also get diagnosed and I learned in the process that its

very difficult in this field to find a doctor you can trust. You have to

almost be your own doctor and basically tell your doctor what you want

him/her to do for you. I'll be happy to give you my doctor's name if you are

near San area. But be aware that very few places can do AVS's that may

be " successful " . Certainly the doctors at UCSF and Stanford dont know how to

do AVS's even though they may claim they know what they are doing.

Best of Health,

Farah

>

> Thanks, Jeff. Excuse me for being a little sensitive, but your post just

> made me feel a little stupid - just kind of overwhelming coming from a

> complete stranger on the Internet.

>

> I do appreciate the info and will call my nephrologist on Monday to ask

> about an AVS. It's my guess that he's not current on info, but I do have

> confidence that he'd want me to get proper treatment for my PA, so I'll

> discuss it further with him. For now, I'm going to keep the consultation

> appointment with the surgeon (it's not until the end of the month) in case

> it turns out that I will need the adrenalectomy.

>

> I live in the San Francisco area (actually about an hour north), so if

> anyone has any recommendations as far as doctors in the Bay Area, I'm open

> to suggestions. However, for now, I'm also at the mercy of my HMO (i.e.,

> doctors in my network) until my company has its next open enrollment in Juy

> 2008. I'm assuming that even though I've probably had my condition for quite

> some time, I probably shouldn't wait another year before seeking treatment.

>

> I'll keep you posted.

>

> -Traci

>

> >

> > Traci,

> >

> > The CT and ultrasound only confirm that you have a lump in your right

> > adrenal. They can't characterize the lump as the source of the excess

> > aldosterone.

> >

> > Very often such lumps indicated on CT, ultrasound, and MRI are actually

> > incendalomas in that they produce nothing, and the real culprit is

> > bi-lateral adrenal hyperplasia (in some cases, the patient has an aldo

> > producing adenoma and bi-lateral hyperplasia). Surgery will be of

> minimal,

> > if any, benefit in such cases. Hell of a risk to take without any

> evidence

> > that your PA is unilateral.

> >

> > The only way to determine that the lump is the source, and the only

> > source,

> > of excess aldosterone is via an adrenal venous sampling (AVS). If you

> > haven't had an AVS performed, you are jumping the gun on pursuing

> > adrenalectomy, and frankly, a competent surgeon who has experience with

> > adrenalectomy for Conn's should refuse your case without evidence of a

> > diseased organ from AVS (or at least an attempt at one). After you get a

> > successful AVS, which when done by an experienced interventional

> > radiologist

> > is relatively low risk, should you be considering surgery.

> >

> > -Jeff

> >

> > On 9/1/07, tracirocks1 <traci@...

<traci%40tracirocks.com><traci%40tracirocks.com>>

> > wrote:

> > >

> > > I'm a 39-year-old female and have just been diagnosed with Conn's. CT

> > > scan and ultrasound indicate a right adrenal adenoma, and it looks

> > > like I'll be having a laparoscopic adrenalectomy sometime in the next

> > > couple of months.

> > >

> > > I've been hypertensive for about 10 years and because I have a family

> > > history of HTN (my mother has had it since she was around 30), and I

> > > am somewhat overweight, it probably never occured to my doctors that

> > > there may be other underlying causes of my HTN besides heredity and

> > > lifestyle. I've been on nearly every available HTN med - usually at

> > > maximum doses - generally with only temporary and minimal success at

> > > controlling my HTN. They finally discovered that my potassium level

> > > was rock-bottom and unresponsive to supplements, and referred me to a

> > > series of specialists who were able to get to the root of the problem

> > > pretty quickly. Unfortunately, because my HTN has gone uncontrolled

> > > for so long, it's likely that I'll still have to be on meds after

> > > surgery, but they expect that my HTN will be much easier to control,

> > > with fewer meds at much smaller doses.

> > >

> > > From what I've been reading here, it sounds like I'm pretty lucky as

> > > I haven't suffered much from what seem to be the common symptoms

> > > (headaches, cramping, fatigue, depression), although I have seen some

> > > effects (irritability, mood swings, swollen ankles) over the past

> > > year or so. I just thought it was my weight and middle-aged hormones

> > > kicking in.

> > >

> > > At this point, I'm just happy that they've found the problem and that

> > > there is a solution. While awaiting surgery, I'm still taking Norvasc

> > > (10mg/day) and the doctor put me on aldactone (200mg/day) which has

> > > almost completely alleviated the swelling in my legs, although I

> > > think it is making me tired. My BP was 131/82 this morning. My

> > > consultation with the surgeon is at the end of September.

> > >

> > > I'm glad to learn that I'm not alone, even though Conn's is

> > > relatively rare. I've skimmed through some of the discussions here,

> > > and look forward to reading more. Three cheers for the internet!

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

In a message dated 9/6/07 8:21:49 PM, kip_pm@... writes:

> Dr. Grimm

>

Just a reminder that I am from the non fairy telling side of the Grim family.

Those that tell fairy tales are the 2 m Grims.

Once again we need to start a data base to track all of our folks here for

others to learn. There is a nice paper by Dr. Calhoun on the Epidemic of PA in

Hypertension and a rebutal by Dr. Kaplan.

I have been debating Dr. Kaplan for about 37 years. He is good.

(sharedcareinc.com)

I have gotten comments from doctors on the " Grim " spelling but they were

apologetic after reading your credentials.

Without a doubt we have the best doctor in the world on your groups.

Regards

Re: Re: Just Diagnosed

In a message dated 9/6/07 8:21:49 PM, kip_pm@... writes:

> Dr. Grimm

>

Just a reminder that I am from the non fairy telling side of the Grim family.

Those that tell fairy tales are the 2 m Grims.

Once again we need to start a data base to track all of our folks here for

others to learn. There is a nice paper by Dr. Calhoun on the Epidemic of PA in

Hypertension and a rebutal by Dr. Kaplan.

I have been debating Dr. Kaplan for about 37 years. He is good.

(sharedcareinc.com)

sorry doc!!!

-Kip

>

>

> In a message dated 9/6/07 8:21:49 PM, kip_pm@... writes:

>

>

> > Dr. Grimm

> >

>

> Just a reminder that I am from the non fairy telling side of the

Grim family.

> Those that tell fairy tales are the 2 m Grims.

>

> Once again we need to start a data base to track all of our folks

here for

> others to learn. There is a nice paper by Dr. Calhoun on the

Epidemic of PA in

> Hypertension and a rebutal by Dr. Kaplan.

>

> I have been debating Dr. Kaplan for about 37 years. He is good.

>

>

>

> May your pressure be low!

>

> Clarence E. Grim, BS, MS, MD

> Senior Consultant to Shared Care Research and Consulting, Inc.

> (sharedcareinc.com)

> Clinical Professor of Internal Medicine and Epidemiology Med. Col.

WI

> Clinical Professor of Nursing, Univ. of WI, Milwaukee

>

> Specializing in Difficult to Control High Blood Pressure

> and the Physiology and History of Survival During

> Hard Times and Heart Disease today.

>

>

>

> **************************************

> Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at

> http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour