Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello my name is victor and i am having trouble concentrating foggy or cloudy

thinking and having a hard time discerning fantasy from reality. The Doctors

think i have schizophremia. They have me on an anti psychotic and anti

depressant and klonopin. Ive (bee)n (pun intended) part of your group for about

a year. I live in an assisted living facility and so i would not be completely

able to follow your program. Ive started to cut back on sugar and bread. i do

crave it alot i have to admit. starting to exercise more. I want to get better.

enough of this rat race cycle. if i bring supplements here they have to have a

doctor's order, and the doctors wont always order natural things. but i heard

about baking soda. Would that help me? any other home remedies that i might be

able to use? I love you and appreciate your work.

-Victor

Guest guest

You really need to try to get off those drugs (slowly).  They will really crush

you, I know from experience.  You should slowly increase fat and protein

intake-eggs and butter are great.  Avoid all processed foods as much as

possible.  If you crave any sugar try lemons or have some melted butter on

veggies.  If you exercise at all you should start super slowly, with walking

and maybe bending over, to pick up trash as you walk.  You can find money that

way also...If you have been here for as long as you say, you already know what

to do

Just my two cents

Bent

Subject: [ ] I Need help

Date: Thursday, December 23, 2010, 12:30 AM

Hello my name is victor and i am having trouble concentrating foggy or

cloudy thinking and having a hard time discerning fantasy from reality. The

Doctors think i have schizophremia. They have me on an anti psychotic and anti

-Victor

Guest guest

>

> Hello my name is victor and i am having trouble concentrating foggy or cloudy

thinking and having a hard time discerning fantasy from reality. The Doctors

think i have schizophremia. They have me on an anti psychotic and anti

+++Hi Victor,

Sorry, but there are no quick fixes like home remedies, etc. Even natural

substances can be used like doctors use drugs which don't improve overall health

and/or interfere with nutrition. They should only be used to " assist " for short

periods of time anyway.

It's mainly the " proper nutrition " that helps the body heal and detoxify itself

like it should, which is what my program is all about.

Ed helped you a lot but like he wrote taking baking soda has its purposes, but

it isn't for overall health, since it makes your body lose water along with

important minerals.

See this article on depression and anxiety to get an idea of how important

nutrition is for any mental or emotional issues like yours:

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/treat6.php

The best in health, Bee

Guest guest

Hi Victor,

Have a look at the link below. There is a scientific study showing a good

result from using a gluten free, low carb diet for Schizophrenia.

It also has other good information regarding supplements.

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/6/1/10

Perhaps show it to your doctor?

Best wishes

Cassie

Hello my name is victor and i am having trouble concentrating foggy or

cloudy thinking and having a hard time discerning fantasy from reality. The

Doctors think i have schizophremia. They have me on an anti psychotic and anti

>

> -Victor

>

>

Guest guest

The neurologist he had a couple of years back tried prozac with the Abilify, but it just increased the effectiveness of the abilify in the body. Where do you live? Is he an adult or a child?

From: theshabbysheep@... <theshabbysheep@...>Subject: Re: I need helpautism Date: Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 12:01 PM

Hi Drissia ~My son used to have aggression/rages quite frequently. It seemed antipsychotics did not work with him. Right now, we're having much better luck with Depakote and Prozac. He no longer sees a psychiatrist but instead he's seen by a good neurologist. It might be that he needs a different classification of meds (not antipsychotics).HTH,Heidi

From: "Mom" <ritzywright@...>autism Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:42:46 AMSubject: I need help

Does anyone have a child diagnosed with intermittent explosive rage? What works? Or even someone who is autistic with aggressive explosive behavior? Or please tell me it gets better in their 20's.My son is 19, nonverbal, weighs 125 lbs. He has been on abilify for a couple of years and we are trying to get him off. The doctor is NO help. He just wants to switch to another antipsychotic drug which is worse in my opinion. He was started on Risperdal but went back and forth between raging and being out. Then they gave him Elavil for migraines, then Abilify for raging. He has been raging for 3 years and we are at the end of our rope. If anyone knows anything natural or anything drug that can help him without killing him, please email me. I am desperate. The doc has suggested Lamictal and Zyprexa. He takes a lot of vitamins but nothing helps.Drissia

Guest guest

How do you find a good neurologist for an adult?

From: theshabbysheep@... <theshabbysheep@...>Subject: Re: I need helpautism Date: Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 12:01 PM

Hi Drissia ~My son used to have aggression/rages quite frequently. It seemed antipsychotics did not work with him. Right now, we're having much better luck with Depakote and Prozac. He no longer sees a psychiatrist but instead he's seen by a good neurologist. It might be that he needs a different classification of meds (not antipsychotics).HTH,Heidi

From: "Mom" <ritzywright@...>autism Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:42:46 AMSubject: I need help

Does anyone have a child diagnosed with intermittent explosive rage? What works? Or even someone who is autistic with aggressive explosive behavior? Or please tell me it gets better in their 20's.My son is 19, nonverbal, weighs 125 lbs. He has been on abilify for a couple of years and we are trying to get him off. The doctor is NO help. He just wants to switch to another antipsychotic drug which is worse in my opinion. He was started on Risperdal but went back and forth between raging and being out. Then they gave him Elavil for migraines, then Abilify for raging. He has been raging for 3 years and we are at the end of our rope. If anyone knows anything natural or anything drug that can help him without killing him, please email me. I am desperate. The doc has suggested Lamictal and Zyprexa. He takes a lot of vitamins but nothing helps.Drissia

Guest guest

I see. That's very serious. I took a crisis management training course as a mental health assistant for dually diagnosed mentally ill and retarded (intellectually disabled) adults. They were behaviorists. They taught us to de-escalate by remaining calm before a situation got out of control. They emphasized that finding a routine and keeping it is important. Transitions from place to place can be more difficult. I remember that if someone tries to bite you, there was a single upside down hand movement they taught that pinched the nose and covered the eyes at the same time that reportedly might release a bite in order to breathe through the mouth. Practice it on somebody to learn how to keep your fingers out of the eyes. In some places Applied Behavior Analysis is covered by

insurance. I believe it is expensive if you need to pay for it yourself. If you can afford it, it might be worth it. They do functional analyses. They observe antecedent environmental conditions precede behavior, plus they observe and define behaviors specifically, then they examine the consequences that might be reinforcing the behavior. Often people not educated in ABA unwittingly reinforce unwanted behaviors. A Board Certified Behavior Analyst might be able to identify this if it is happening with you. If his face is getting red by mashing it into the screen and it gets a reaction from you, your reaction might be the reinforcement. If the redness on his face is not harmful to him, (and if you think he won't break through the screen) perhaps you can ignore it consistently over time instead of giving it a reaction. Extinction might occur.

However, it also seems that some self-abusive behavior can be rewarding in themselves. I'm not sure. I am not a BCBA, but I have been researching the subject and used it as a special education teacher. It's better to get a professional behavior analyst.As to the pinching, if you remain calm when he does it and gently hold his hand back or block it before it occurs, without escalating emotionally, you can at least protect yourself and not give it a reinforcing reaction (other than the blocking). Then you might want to leave the room for five minutes each time he does it, as a time out. (As long as he is not harming himself or your property.) If he will voluntarily go to a time out area, that's good too, but I don't recommend forcefully removing him to a time out area. These behaviors on your part are hard to learn to do well without training in ABA from a BCBA, however.

See my blog, Reward and Consent, on the ethics of behavior modification - of people with disabilities and of people with much power: http://rewardandconsent.blogspot.com and follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/RewardConsent. From: mary <mwhitehead@...> autism Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:43 PM Subject: Re: I need help

Can you work up a program to help him when his frustration level is at the “anxiety stage� Perhaps work on some self regulating techniques and that was he is empowered and feels in control and can nip the issue in the bud before it gets out of hand?? I know this sounds terribly simplistic but it sounds doable to me especially that you can see the progression of his anxiety. Hang in there

mary

Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:27 PM

autism

Subject: Re: I need help

Thanks for your comments, but my son has started developing Tarkive Dyskenesia from the Abilify. I don't think that antipsychotics work for this problem from everything I have read. Weight gain is the least of my concerns even though this kid would be formidable if he gained a lot of weight. He is 6 ft. tall and strong as an ox now. The behavior looks like this: It looks like anxiety building for a couple of hours, then he will suddenly mash his face into the tv or computer screen until it is red and hunt down me or his dad trying to bite, kick, pinch us.

Drissia

From: Dave <rewardandconsent@...>Subject: Re: I need help"autism " <autism >Date: Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 10:02 AM

Hi,

I take another antipsychotic drug to treat my delusions. It is Geodon and it reportedly has less of a side effect of weight gain. There are other serious side effects such as drowsiness and involuntary muscle movements with long term use, so I appreciate your concern. I take it for a different reason, not for aggression. I am not sure how effective antipsychotics are for aggression. Have you tried a time out? I like a form of time out where the child is not physically removed, but the parent removes himself or herself from the child. This prevents the confrontation inherent in a physical or forceful movement to the time out area. Only recommended if harm is not being done during the time out.

Dave

See my blog, Reward and Consent, on the ethics of behavior modification: http://rewardandconsent.blogspot.com/ and follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#%21/RewardConsent

From: Mom <ritzywright@...>autism Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:42 AMSubject: I need help

Guest guest

As a followup, Drissia, you need to know the contingencies of his aggressive behaviors, the antecedent to the behavior, the behavior, and the consequences at play. If his aggressive behavior functions as a way of escaping one of your demands, then removing yourself from the room wouldn't help. For example, if you say, "Brush your teeth," then he bites, and then he doesn't have to brush his teeth, then you have negatively reinforced his biting. Removing yourself, I believe, won't help because he is still able to escape the demand by getting you to leave. A BCBA can help more than me if that is this contingency. If, on the other hand, your emotional response in the form and attention is reinforcing his aggression, then the time out might help. Give him a lot of praise, attention, or other rewards when he's behaving

well. See my blog, Reward and Consent, on the ethics of behavior modification - of people with disabilities and of people with much power: http://rewardandconsent.blogspot.com and follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/RewardConsent. From: Dave <rewardandconsent@...> "autism "

<autism > Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:58 PM Subject: Re: I need help

I see. That's very serious. I took a crisis management training course as a mental health assistant for dually diagnosed mentally ill and retarded (intellectually disabled) adults. They were behaviorists. They taught us to de-escalate by remaining calm before a situation got out of control. They emphasized that finding a routine and keeping it is important. Transitions from place to place can be more difficult. I remember that if someone tries to bite you, there was a single upside down hand movement they taught that pinched the nose and covered the eyes at the same time that reportedly might release a bite in order to breathe through the mouth. Practice it on somebody to learn how to keep your fingers out of the eyes. In some places Applied Behavior Analysis

is covered by

insurance. I believe it is expensive if you need to pay for it yourself. If you can afford it, it might be worth it. They do functional analyses. They observe antecedent environmental conditions precede behavior, plus they observe and define behaviors specifically, then they examine the consequences that might be reinforcing the behavior. Often people not educated in ABA unwittingly reinforce unwanted behaviors. A Board Certified Behavior Analyst might be able to identify this if it is happening with you. If his face is getting red by mashing it into the screen and it gets a reaction from you, your reaction might be the reinforcement. If the redness on his face is not harmful to him, (and if you think he won't break through the screen) perhaps you can ignore it consistently over time instead of giving it a reaction. Extinction might occur.

However, it also seems that some self-abusive behavior can be rewarding in themselves. I'm not sure. I am not a BCBA, but I have been researching the subject and used it as a special education teacher. It's better to get a professional behavior analyst.As to the pinching, if you remain calm when he does it and gently hold his hand back or block it before it occurs, without escalating emotionally, you can at least protect yourself and not give it a reinforcing reaction (other than the blocking). Then you might want to leave the room for five minutes each time he does it, as a time out. (As long as he is not harming himself or your property.) If he will voluntarily go to a time out area, that's good too, but I don't recommend forcefully removing him to a time out area. These behaviors on your part are hard to learn to do well without training in ABA from a BCBA, however.

See my blog, Reward and Consent, on the ethics of behavior modification - of people with disabilities and of people with much power: http://rewardandconsent.blogspot.com and follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#%21/RewardConsent. From: mary <mwhitehead@...> autism Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:43 PM Subject: Re: I need help

Can you work up a program to help him when his frustration level is at the “anxiety stage� Perhaps work on some self regulating techniques and that was he is empowered and feels in control and can nip the issue in the bud before it gets out of hand?? I know this sounds terribly simplistic but it sounds doable to me especially that you can see the progression of his anxiety. Hang in there

mary

Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:27 PM

autism

Subject: Re: I need help

Thanks for your comments, but my son has started developing Tarkive Dyskenesia from the Abilify. I don't think that antipsychotics work for this problem from everything I have read. Weight gain is the least of my concerns even though this kid would be formidable if he gained a lot of weight. He is 6 ft. tall and strong as an ox now. The behavior looks like this: It looks like anxiety building for a couple of hours, then he will suddenly mash his face into the tv or computer screen until it is red and hunt down me or his dad trying to bite, kick, pinch us.

Drissia

From: Dave <rewardandconsent@...>Subject: Re: I need help"autism " <autism >Date: Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 10:02 AM

Hi,

I take another antipsychotic drug to treat my delusions. It is Geodon and it reportedly has less of a side effect of weight gain. There are other serious side effects such as drowsiness and involuntary muscle movements with long term use, so I appreciate your concern. I take it for a different reason, not for aggression. I am not sure how effective antipsychotics are for aggression. Have you tried a time out? I like a form of time out where the child is not physically removed, but the parent removes himself or herself from the child. This prevents the confrontation inherent in a physical or forceful movement to the time out area. Only recommended if harm is not being done during the time out.

Dave

See my blog, Reward and Consent, on the ethics of behavior modification: http://rewardandconsent.blogspot.com/ and follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#%21/RewardConsent

From: Mom <ritzywright@...>autism Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:42 AMSubject: I need help

Guest guest

The benzo family of meds works better for my daughter. In fact, she takes valium now for her seizures and mood control. Then again, the seizure meds caused alot of our problems.We used klonopin and ativan before weaning her off all meds and putting on valium. Best thing that happened to us...and her in the last 18 years!Elaine

The neurologist he had a couple of years back tried prozac with the Abilify, but it just increased the effectiveness of the abilify in the body. Where do you live? Is he an adult or a child?

Guest guest

Boy, it really sounds like he has seizure activity. Our doctor is Miranda with Bright Minds Institute http://www.brightmindsinstitute.com/He has an office in Vero Beach, FL. His clinic does more advanced EEGs than most neurologists. If Vero Beach is too far, perhaps you could call that office and see if there's anyone they could recommend who'd be closer. Vero Beach office # is: 772-299-4730.HTH,Heidi From: "drissia wright" <ritzywright@...>autism Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:16:27 AMSubject: Re: I need help

Who is your doctor?

Guest guest

He does get our attention that's for sure. It's hard not to when you are being kicking, bit, and pinched. As far as our hitting him, or course we don't do that and that is when he tries to pummel us.

Hi,

Dave

Does anyone have a child diagnosed with intermittent explosive rage? What works? Or even someone who is autistic with aggressive explosive behavior? Or please tell me it gets better in their 20's.My son is 19, nonverbal, weighs 125 lbs. He has been on abilify for a couple of years and we are trying to get him off. The doctor is NO help. He just wants to switch to another antipsychotic drug which is worse in my opinion. He was started on Risperdal but went back and forth between raging and being out. Then they gave him Elavil for migraines, then Abilify for raging. He has been raging for 3 years and we are at the end of our rope. If anyone knows anything natural or anything drug that can help him without killing him, please email me. I am desperate. The doc has suggested Lamictal and Zyprexa. He takes a lot of vitamins but nothing

helps.Drissia

Guest guest

Hello everyone, my name is Daphne Craig. I am the single parent of a 12 year old autistic son. I have had behavioral problems with him for a few years, to the point where i have had to have him bakeracted (how ever you wspell it) and had the local police out to my house on numerous occassions. I live in ville, Florida and my son has been on so many meds and nothing really seemed to help. He is currently on Ritilin 10 mg 3 times a day, Seroquel 200 mg (200 am, 100mg 12 noon and 200mg at night) and depakote 250 mg 2 times a day. When was on everything above but was only on a total of 400mg of seroquel he was out of control. The increased medicine in the noon time has made a world of difference, I do not like my son being on all these medicines, but for now they are

working.

It is so hard even in a big city to find services and doctors who really know what they are doing when it comes to autism, we finally found a awesome neurologist at nemours childrens clinic and joshua has been seeing a great psychiatrist too. It is trial an error unfortunately, I will see if i can find any information on natural medicines. Good luck toeveryone, if you want to correspond with me you can contact me at this email daffertulsa1@....

From: drissia wright <ritzywright@...>autism Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:15 AMSubject: Re: I need help

North Carolina, about 30 min. from Charlotte.

Hi Drissia ~My son used to have aggression/rages quite frequently. It seemed antipsychotics did not work with him. Right now, we're having much better luck with Depakote and Prozac. He no longer sees a psychiatrist but instead he's seen by a good neurologist. It might be that he needs a different classification of meds (not antipsychotics).HTH,Heidi From: "Mom" <ritzywright@...>autism Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:42:46 AMSubject: I need help

Guest guest

That is what is so hard. This doesn't seem to be tantrums. Nothing is going on. He hasn't been told no or upset in any way. He doesn't need attention. He has that all the time. He is a really sweet kid most of the time. Sometimes for days or a week or two and then he has a cycle of the behaviors. We know something is wrong. We just don't know what. He has stomach issues and right now has gastritis. He has antibodies to gluten and is mostly gluten free. We think he wakes up with a headache almost every day. I took his blood pressure yesterday when he woke up. It was 69/40. That is horribly low. He has a dynavox and is just beginning to try to talk with us but doesn't have the key to using the machine for communicating pain or need, even though he has been seeing a speech therapist every week for a year. He has been taught the TEACCH method of schedules and

can follow that for his day. He loves calenders and we use them to write on. He has sensory issues like crazy; he can see dust in the air. He has OCD.

Drissia

From: Eileen Dunn <eddienhp@...>Subject: Re: I need help"autism " < >Date: Thursday, April 19, 2012, 9:59 AM

Hi Drissia:This may not relate to your situation at all but I thought I would share my son's experience. When my son, f was 2 - 3 years old he has terrible tantrums. Headbanging, throwing, kicking, screaming, you name it. Our behavior analyst told me to keep the environment safe and to ignore the behavior. I put pillows, removed all throwables, anything I could think off. Over a few months it got a little better. What really made a difference was f's emerging ability to use language. He rarely has a tantrum now. Like I said, this may not relate to your issue. Does your son have a way to communicate-PECS or dynavox? Could it possibly be sensory related if seizures have been ruled out? It is probably worth getting the more advanced eeg to make sure seizures aren't the cause. Anyway, I know your frustration. It's very tough to watch. Good luck to you.

Best Regards,Eileen