RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Breathing Treatments with nebulizer without electrical power?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I live near Austin, Texas where we are presently having an ice storm as much of the nation is experiencing at this time. The power may go out at any time. Has anyone else had this problem when they have to use a nebulizer for breathing treatments twice daily? My neighbor suggested that I call the fire station/EMS just around the corner. I did call them, and they said that I would have to call 911 (emergency number in the US), and they would come to my house and administer a breathing treatment. I don't know how long the power will be out and cannot expect them to come twice daily when there is likely to be many accidents due to the icy roads. I do have a Combivent rescue inhaler, but the Albuterol in it causes my irregular, fast heartbeat to race. I am being treated by an electrophysiologist cardiologist for this problem. I had an Omron Comp-Air Elite travel compressor/nebulizer that I could charge,

but it no longer works. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you for your help, Norma

Guest guest

Hi Norma,

You could ring your electricity suplier and ask if they hae any

emergency generators for folk on life saving equipment?

I bought Rosie a portable nebuliser from Omron that works from normal

AA batteries...would that be an option? It takes longer to nebulise

colomycin thatn the Pari Boy we usually use but it works when out.

Otherwise I wonder if you would be expected to go to the hospital?

Must be worrying.

Hugs

Tina

Guest guest

Dear Norma, When we had a similar emergency here due to a two-three day power outage a nursing friend of mine called and recommended that I go to an emergency shelter where there was power via a generator. Since, I have an oxygen concentrator that runs on power as well as my aerosol machine going to the shelter was helpful. There was also food. It was nice. I did have one older aerosol machine that had a battery pack, but would only last for so many treatments and I cannot find my battery pack. Hoping you are doing well and that you are safe and comfortable. Please keep us updated. Hugs:0) LizPre-Lung Transplant Journey - For updates please visit my carepage and leave a message. Thank you! :o) carepages.com name: maryelizabethholt Please watch: Live Life Then Give Life! - UK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz33i6prkuQ. "Don't take your organs to Heaven, heaven knows we need them here."

The best gets better. See why everyone is raving about the All-new Yahoo! Mail.

Guest guest

Tina, It is nice to hear from you again. I had meant to reply to your previous emails regarding and your family, but one of our sons, who is staying with us temporarily, uses the computer for his work. So I will have make this brief. Thanks for your suggestion regarding calling our electrical supplier about a generator. I did have an Omron Comp-Air Elite portable nebulizer, but it no longer works. If I still had it, I would not be able to sterlize or clean the nebulizer cups as we would not have hot water. I have two compressors, one for my Xopenex and Mucomyst breathing treatment and one for the Tobi. I use a Devilbiss compressor for my antibiotic breathing treatments that I do the last two weeks of each month. I will need to start that treatment January 18. Hopefully the storm will have passed by that time. I am not sure if I could go to the

emergency room at the hospital more than once. I am going to call my primary insurance, Medicare, and ask for their advice. Thanks for your support. Hugs, Norma tdlhillier wrote: Hi Norma,You could ring your electricity suplier and ask if they hae any emergency generators for folk on life saving equipment?I bought Rosie a portable nebuliser from Omron that works from normal AA batteries...would that be an

option? It takes longer to nebulise colomycin thatn the Pari Boy we usually use but it works when out.Otherwise I wonder if you would be expected to go to the hospital?Must be worrying.Hugs Tina

Guest guest

Norma,

we use cold water sterilising solutions, as for baby equipment..then

rinse well. So long as you alow it to dry there is little chance of

gaining bugs from rinsing with tap water...probably not much more than

from breathing normal air.

Hugs