RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: would you put your child in jail?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Ola, I am so sorry that you are facing this issue in your family. I don't know what I would do in this situation, but I can share with you what I think. My thoughts run to young adults, more than young children, the suggestion of calling the police makes me think of young adults. Calling the police on a 7 year old would feel like an over reaction in most circumstances, especially considering behavioral treatments like ABA. I remember the story of Trudy Steuernagel. She had an autistic teenage son who was prone to aggressive outbursts and was medicated for them. One day she didn't go into work and the police were sent to her home. They found her senseless on the floor, and her son was one who caused her injuries. She passed away a few days later. A letter was found in which

she expresses that people knew about the violence and failed her son, but in her life she tried her hardest to hide the violence and keep her son at home with her at all costs. Her son is legally an adult and was jailed and charged. Her family kept the letter hidden at first, for fear that it would make her look bad, make autism look bad. I don't want to do that. I think of this family often, telling my family about their story, to ingrain a very important point in my mind, perspective. If we face these challenges in my family in the future, I don't know what I will do, how I will handle it, will I follow in Trudy's footsteps and try to keep my son out of facilities, centers and institution in which strangers are in a position of power over my child? At all costs? I remember that it was loss of perspective that led this family over the edge. Would I try to keep my

child out of a facility, only to seriously risk being lost and having my child go to a different type of facility without the possibility of having his strongest advocate to watch over him? The thing to remember here though, is that this was one family's experience, and not at all indicative of anyone else's experiences. Sky was hurting his mother for around 6 years before this happened, and was apparently on a cocktail of antidepressants, anti-anxiety and tranquilizing meds, in an attempt to find the right cocktail of drugs to control the source of the aggression. Many of these types of drugs have side effects that could have contributed. I am not suggesting that medication is never needed, just that side effects should be taken into account. I don't want to scare you. Not at all. One alternative that I would strongly suggest if the

child is large enough to truly hurt their caregiver would be to take self-defense classes, or some other professional level training. If a child was having aggression issues at school, you'd want the staff to be professionally trained in de-escalation, safe restraint, etc, right? I think that would be my first step. I hope someone else can give firsthand or experienced advice. There is a link at the bottom about Trudy and her son Sky. Again, I don't want to scare you, or suggest that the best or only thing to do is call the police or find a alternative placement. I just want to let you know that whatever you decide in the future, please keep it in perspective of the other possibilities.http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/12/kent_state_professor_trudy_ste.html--- On Tue, 10/26/10, Ola

<mcgheeola@...> wrote:From: Ola <mcgheeola@...>Subject: would you put your child in jail?autism Date: Tuesday, October 26, 2010, 12:56 PM

My son saw his psychiatics today I told here about my son being abusive to me.she said well just call the cops ok I really don't think That's going to work.He's on risperidone I give him 0.5ml now I have to give him 1ml I hope this works. I'm still waiting for him to get a speech device from DDD.I'm worried that when he gets older that I have to put I'm in a home.

Guest guest

Thank you for this story that's my big fear that I would have to put him in ahome. I mean i don't want that to happen I would feel like a fallure like I didn't do more.I no its the coummuncation issue that's why he acts like that I'm trying but its taking to long.Connected by MOTOBLUR™ on T-Mobile would you put your child in jail?autism Date: Tuesday, October 26, 2010, 12:56 PM My son saw his psychiatics today I told here about my son being abusive to me.she said well just call the cops ok I really don't think That's going to work.He's on risperidone I give him 0.5ml now I have to give him 1ml I hope this works. I'm still waiting for him to get a speech device from DDD.I'm worried that when he gets older that I have to put I'm in a home.

Guest guest

Ola, has your son seen a neurologist? My son used to be very aggressive, and we've actually had better luck going with a neurologist than with a psychiatrist.HTH,Heidi would you put your child in jail?

My son saw his psychiatics today I told here about my son being abusive to me.she said well just call the cops ok I really don't think That's going to work.He's on risperidone I give him 0.5ml now I have to give him 1ml I hope this works. I'm still waiting for him to get a speech device from DDD.I'm worried that when he gets older that I have to put I'm in a home.

Guest guest

Yes he has just for his seizures but they don't no why he's having them.I give him clonazepam when he has them only.Connected by MOTOBLUR™ on T-Mobile Re: would you put your child in jail? Ola, has your son seen a neurologist? My son used to be very aggressive, and we've actually had better luck going with a neurologist than with a psychiatrist.HTH,Heidi would you put your child in jail? My son saw his psychiatics today I told here about my son being abusive to me.she said well just call the cops ok I really don't think That's going to work.He's on risperidone I give him 0.5ml now I have to give him 1ml I hope this works. I'm still waiting for him to get a speech device from DDD.I'm worried that when he gets older that I have to put I'm in a home.

Guest guest

Hi Ola. I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through this. We live with similar behaviors here at my house. My son is almost 7 (very big for his age, though) and also has aggressive behaviors. Since he's the size of a 12 year old, we can still manage but I worry about what will happen when he gets bigger and hits puberty. I agree with what Heidi mentioned. 's Neurologist has made the most difference. He is on a small dose of Neurontin (not sure if I spelled it correctly) which has helped his behavior tremendously. is nonverbal and I suspect that he is having headaches and the Neurontin helps... We tried Clonidine for a while but didn't notice an improvement.

Warmly,

Bianca

Re: would you put your child in jail?

Ola, has your son seen a neurologist? My son used to be very aggressive, and we've actually had better luck going with a neurologist than with a psychiatrist.

HTH,

Heidi

would you put your child in jail?

Guest guest

Connected by MOTOBLUR™ on T-Mobile Re: would you put your child in jail? Ola, has your son seen a neurologist? My son used to be very aggressive, and we've actually had better luck going with a neurologist than with a psychiatrist.HTH,Heidi would you put your child in jail? My son saw his psychiatics today I told here about my son being abusive to me.she said well just call the cops ok I really don't think That's going to work.He's on risperidone I give him 0.5ml now I have to give him 1ml I hope this works. I'm still waiting for him to get a speech device from DDD.I'm worried that when he gets older that I have to put I'm in a home.

Guest guest

Connected by MOTOBLUR™ on T-Mobile Re: would you put your child in jail? Ola, has your son seen a neurologist? My son used to be very aggressive, and we've actually had better luck going with a neurologist than with a psychiatrist.HTH,Heidi would you put your child in jail? My son saw his psychiatics today I told here about my son being abusive to me.she said well just call the cops ok I really don't think That's going to work.He's on risperidone I give him 0.5ml now I have to give him 1ml I hope this works. I'm still waiting for him to get a speech device from DDD.I'm worried that when he gets older that I have to put I'm in a home.

Guest guest

Thanks I will look in on the neurontin to see if this will help my son.Connected by MOTOBLUR™ on T-Mobile Re: would you put your child in jail? Ola, has your son seen a neurologist? My son used to be very aggressive, and we've actually had better luck going with a neurologist than with a psychiatrist.HTH,Heidi would you put your child in jail? My son saw his psychiatics today I told here about my son being abusive to me.she said well just call the cops ok I really don't think That's going to work.He's on risperidone I give him 0.5ml now I have to give him 1ml I hope this works. I'm still waiting for him to get a speech device from DDD.I'm worried that when he gets older that I have to put I'm in a home.

Guest guest

Out of experience my son is 10 with autism, adhd, pdd, odd. When he was 9 i called the police on him and they did put cuffs on him and sat him in the cruiser, i felt really bad but it worked. He was so scared and he has not been violent since then. Hope this helps.

Tammy

From: Ola Mcghee <mcgheeola@...>autism Sent: Wed, October 27, 2010 9:01:01 PMSubject: Re: would you put your child in jail?

Thanks I will look in on the neurontin to see if this will help my son.Connected by MOTOBLURâ„¢ on T-Mobile Re: would you put your child in jail?

Ola, has your son seen a neurologist? My son used to be very aggressive, and we've actually had better luck going with a neurologist than with a psychiatrist.HTH,Heidi would you put your child in jail?

Guest guest

Out of experience my son is 10 with autism, adhd, pdd, odd. When he was 9 i called the police on him and they did put cuffs on him and sat him in the cruiser, i felt really bad but it worked. He was so scared and he has not been violent since then. Hope this helps.

Tammy

From: Ola Mcghee <mcgheeola@...>autism Sent: Wed, October 27, 2010 9:01:01 PMSubject: Re: would you put your child in jail?

Thanks I will look in on the neurontin to see if this will help my son.Connected by MOTOBLURâ„¢ on T-Mobile Re: would you put your child in jail?