>

> I used Orange Guard in my car about three months ago, and it worked.  But,

somehow with this brain fog, I had moved on to other things.  I was recently

reminded of how good it is, so started using it again, I have a car that is

infested with the whte fliers--I could see them dropping when I sprayed it.  It

has an oily base so they can do nothing else but drop--then it kills them.  I

also put it in my hair this morning--and am feeling complete relief!!  I bought

it at whole foods, it is in the pet section, $10.00 per bottle.  Safe around

humans, pets, and food areas--just dont get it in your eyes!

>

Guest guest

Here is the link Cowboy gave me, the uniqueness is d-Limonene & Terpenes,

similar to what is in fels-naptha.

http://www.greenterpene.com/d_Limonene_Terpenes_s/20.htm

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=200935 & catid=142242 & trx=GFI-0-RVP\

-142286 & trxp1=142242 & trxp2=200935 & trxp3=1 & trxp4=1 & btrx=BUY-GFI-0-RVP-142286

Echo Orange Ingredients

Ethanol (derived from corn), Biodegradable Surfactants* (plant derived),

> > >

> > > I'm not familiar with Orange Guard or where to get it. I read somewhere

that 3-4 oz of Orange oil mixed with a gallon of water makes a good bug killer.

I ordered some orange oil from the following web site. You can get this in

quantity from them. Even a quart makes over 8 gallons. You can spray a lot with

that much.

> > >

> > >

http://www.greenterpene.com/Cold_Pressed_Orange_Oil_Food_Grade_p/00100501.htm & Cl\

ick=40162?gclid=CLznuMGxoKACFUde2godNlsVag

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Debra Lynn Dadd

Fels Naptha SoapQUESTION:I've seen many recipes for cleaning items using Fels Naptha soap. Do you have any idea of whether this has toxic ingredients? POSTED BY Z. X. :: NEW JERSEY USA :: 09/20/2005 DEBRA'S ANSWER: 100 years ago, Fels-Naptha was the most commonly used laundry soap. It is hard to find now, but is still available on the internet, if not at your local grocer. Often it is misplaced with the bar soaps for handwashing rather than in the laundry section. It is still used today for poison ivy treatment, garden fertilizer and insecticide as well as laundry detergent and for stain removal. When Fels Naptha was first made, most soap was made from tallow and lye. Tallow was obtained by boiling and filtering butchered fat from cows, pigs, chickens, horses, and other animals. Today the label lists "cleaners, soil and stain removers, chelating agents, colorants, and perfume" as the ingredients. The warning on the label says, "CAUTION: EYE AND SKIN IRRITANT. Avoid contact with eyes and prolonged contact with skin. Keep Out Of Reach Of Children. I contacted the manufacturer Dial Corp to get the Material Safety Data Sheet MSDS. In addition to soap dust, the only other hazardous ingredient listed was "Hydrocarbons, Terpene processing by-products CAS# 68956-56-9." I was unable to find any information on the toxicity of this chemical. My standard databases just said things like "not enough data available". But it is a petrochemical ingredient. The MSDS for Fels Naptha from the National Institutes of Health Household Products Database was slightly different. Under "Chronic Health Effects" it says, "Chronic toxicity testing has not been conducted on this product. However, the following effects have been reported on one of the product's components. Stoddard

solvent: Repeated or prolonged exposure to high concentrations has resulted in upper respiratory tract irritation, central and peripheral nervous system effects, and possibly hematopoetic, liver and kidney effects." Stoddard solvent is another name for mineral spirits, which are, like petroleum distillates, a mixture of multiple chemicals made from petroleum. Exposure to Stoddard solvent in the air can affect your nervous system and cause dizziness, headaches, or a prolonged reaction time. It can also cause eye, skin, or throat irritation. Both MSDS's note that the ingredients are not identified as carcinogens or potential carcinogens. Their health effects

rating is 1, which is "slight." So yes, it contains at least one toxic ingredient, and there are probably others. I would venture to say that the perfume and colorants are made from petrochemicals as well. Is it toxic to use? The MSDS says it has low toxicity, but I would caution anyone who wishes to avoid petrochemical ingredients to stay away from this one. There are more natural

and even organic cleaning soaps available. Debra :-)COMMENTS: CAS 68956-56-9 Hydrocarbons Terpene Processing Byproducts are derived from turpentine not petrochemicals. Complex mixture of limonene, terpinolenes and similar isomers. Whether it is harmful in Fels naptha soap depends on the concentration. Skin and eye irritant.POSTED BY GEORGE :: FLORIDA USA :: 06/05/2008 11:12 PMFels Naptha no longer contains Stoddard Solvent.

It still contains "terpene processing by-products". Terpenes are a large and various group of plant based hydrocarbons. The most common form people are acquainted with is terpentine. There are no petrochemicals in Fels Naptha.POSTED BY PHILLYGRL :: OHIO USA :: 12/16/2008 11:48 AMI have been using Fels Naptha bar soap for a couple of years to make my own liquid laundry

detergent. After reading Debra's review, I would like to switch to a cleaner bar soap for grating into the liquid. I've tried Dr. Bronners but it doesn't seem to work as well. Does anyone have any suggestions?POSTED BY LISA WRIGHT :: SOUTH CAROLINA USA :: 12/17/2008 2:06 PMI found the fels naptha soap to work well as a spot remover, but could not continue to use it because it would cause my

hands to completely dry out and flake. The other issue was the strong fragrance. I stored it in a sealed container in the garage, but it wasn't worth the trouble.

A liquid soap suggestion for from SC: I find Sungold's Fragrance-Free Level H Liquid Soap works better than Dr. Bronner's as a body wash- They do have bar soap and laundry soap, but I haven't tried them. (

sungoldsoap.com

)POSTED BY A. :: CALIFORNIA USA :: 12/24/2008 10:48 AM,

I have found an old fashioned lye soap that I like very much. It is

made in the traditional way and I use it to bathe in and the stronger version for laundry soap. It works really well. Check out www.mosoap.com.

DeborahPOSTED BY DEBORAH :: TEXAS USA :: 12/31/2008 12:35 PMDoes anyone know if the same formula was used for Fels Naptha soap from 1955-1960--or how to

even begin to find out that info? POSTED BY EAB :: MASSACHUSETTS USA :: 01/07/2009

4:20 PMMy husband bought some "old fashioned lye soap" late this summer at a hardware store near an area where there is quite a

bit of hunting. He said the clerk said that hunters buy it so there is

no scent to scare off the game.

maybe hardware stores are a gem we have overlooked.POSTED BY JULIE :: INDIANA USA :: 01/13/2009 3:36 AMI an 71. I have used Fels Naptha bar soap almost

all of my life. Use gloves if it bothers your skin although it has never bothered mine. I have no health problems except thyroid. I have purchased it at local Wall Mart. If you put it in a jar with water to sit it will eventually melt down so you will not have to shave it. I love this old soap. It does a wonderful job and everything smells so much cleaner in the end. Hope this helps. POSTED BY K CURTIS :: ILLINOIS USA :: 01/30/2009 2:50 PMI started using Fels Naptha as a shampoo and absolutely love it. BUT one day it dawned on me

that it may not be safe to use. I wash my hair two to three times a week, and it really made my hair squeaky clean! I'm sad to think I should not be using it. Any input about this?

COMMENT FROM DEBRA: I would not use

Fels Naptha as a shampoo.

POSTED BY JUDY :: NORTH CAROLINA USA :: 04/23/2009 4:35 PMhello!! a good alternative is Kiss My Face Pure Olive Oil Soap. I love it for making liquid or powder laundry soap and anything else!!! Some soaps are not good for laundry soap, like ivory bar soap, but this one IS good! Here is a link: www.vitacost.com/Kiss-My-Face-Pure-Olive-Oil-Bar-Soap?csrc=GPF-028367731481

Ingredients: Saponified olive oil, water and sodium chloride.POSTED BY BB :: BREANNA BRUMMER :: BREANNABRUMMER.WORDPRESS.COM

:: MISSOURI USA :: 05/22/2009 6:13 AMPart of what I like about Fels Naptha for dry laundry detergent is the low cost. Other bars

of soap can get expensive, and although I like to be "green" I also like to save money on the cost of doing laundry. Does anyone know of a good "cheap" bar of laundry soap?POSTED BY JENN H. :: MONTANA USA :: 07/15/2009 6:14 AMAn old-school tile setter thinks that Naptha soap makes an excellent tile grout sealer. Has anyone heard of this? Thanks!POSTED BY JIM :: CALIFORNIA USA :: 07/20/2009 2:17 PMThank you, K Curtis from Illinois. I will definitely try melting the soap in a jar of water. I still have several bars.

Debra, what do you think of PhillyGrl's comment (2nd post) as to whether the soap is safe to use as laundry detergent?

Thanks to everyone who is leaving comments.

COMMENT FROM DEBRA: I don't recommend this soap for any use. Soap residues can remain in laundry.

POSTED BY LISA WRIGHT :: SOUTH CAROLINA USA :: 07/22/2009 9:29 AM, I use plain Ivory soap grated instead of Fels baptha, which is harder to find. but there's nothing like a liquid naphtha solvent for getting difficult stains out, so have it for emergencies in your stain arsenal, high on a kid safe shelf in the laundry room. Nothing beter for weird stains, except perhaps that stuff at the dollar store, "awesome" in the yellow bottle, that gets our random "baby stains" magnificently. POSTED BY CAROLINANIGHTINGALE :: SOUTH CAROLINA

USA :: 07/28/2009 9:25 AMI like Zote soap. It's a Mexican laundry soap made for hand scrubbing your clothes by a body of water, so it's nontoxic. You can find it in dollar stores, including Dollar General, and in the hispanic sections of pharmaceutical

stuff in a regular grocery store or drugstore.

I use it to handscrub underwear and stained stuff before I wash. It's very effective. One bar lasts forever. You can buy it in pink or white. The pink is more readily available, and it has not stained anything I use it on pink.

It does have a smell. I like the smell. I read somewhere that its'c citronella, which I normally don't care for.

I keep a semi-liquid watery mess of it in a small soft drink bottle in my kitchen. I've got it to gelatinous consistency.

I discovered Zote before I ever learned about Fels Naptha. Zote is so effective that I am not interested in trying Fels Naptha, with its petrochemicals or whatever.

Some people even wash dishes with Zote, just by putting some wet Zote on a dishrag.POSTED

BY MAD4COLOR :: TEXAS USA :: 08/03/2009 12:13 PM> > > >> > > > I'm not familiar with Orange Guard or where to get it. I read somewhere that 3-4 oz of Orange oil mixed with a gallon of water makes a good bug killer. I ordered some orange oil from the following web site. You can get this in quantity from them. Even a quart makes over 8 gallons. You can spray a lot with that much.> > > > > > > > http://www.greenterpene.com/Cold_Pressed_Orange_Oil_Food_Grade_p/00100501.htm & Click=40162?gclid=CLznuMGxoKACFUde2godNlsVag> > > >> > >> >>

Guest guest

http://clean.havebedo.com/category/cleanchemistry/

> > > >

> > > > I'm not familiar with Orange Guard or where to get it. I read somewhere

that 3-4 oz of Orange oil mixed with a gallon of water makes a good bug killer.

I ordered some orange oil from the following web site. You can get this in

that much.

> > > >

> > > >

http://www.greenterpene.com/Cold_Pressed_Orange_Oil_Food_Grade_p/00100501.htm & Cl\

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Appreciate the link- hope it works as well as Orange Guard.

D.

>

> I'm not familiar with Orange Guard or where to get it. I read somewhere that

3-4 oz of Orange oil mixed with a gallon of water makes a good bug killer. I

ordered some orange oil from the following web site. You can get this in

that much.

>

>

>

Guest guest

This should also work as a natural pesticide. Mixing with the homemade enzyme,

and rubbing alcohal, vinegar, and mineral oil.

Limonene is common in cosmetic products. As the main odor constituent of citrus

(plant family Rutaceae), D-limonene is used in food manufacturing and some

medicines, e.g., bitter alkaloids, as a flavoring; it is also used as botanical

insecticide[4]. It is added to cleaning products such as hand cleansers to give

a lemon-orange fragrance. See: orange oil. In contrast, L-limonene has a piney,

turpentine-like odor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limonene

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm not familiar with Orange Guard or where to get it. I read

somewhere that 3-4 oz of Orange oil mixed with a gallon of water makes a good

bug killer. I ordered some orange oil from the following web site. You can get

this in quantity from them. Even a quart makes over 8 gallons. You can spray a

lot with that much.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>