RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

shingles

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Can Iodine completely remove viruses like shingles from someone's system?  What would happen if they were exposed again?  Would they have immunity?~WOn Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:22 PM, cheryl_b_1 <mossyforrest@...> wrote:

My thought would be that the Iodine may have taken the virus out of dormancy, this may have to happen in order to rid the body of the dormant/latent virus.

When virus are dormant they still do harm. There just arent any or many symptoms outwardly. Some virus are very adept at hiding themselves. And when faced with threat, such as iodine would pose, they might go into hyper drive trying to save themselves, hyper immune response (similar to what vaccines do), which might cause the auto immune reaction.

Personally, i would cover the lesions with iodine and increase, not decrease, my iodine and get rid of the virus. It is harder to do when its painful tho, so he has to do what he can tolerate.

I'm not sure what VCO is. But if not wanting to try iodine, Tea Tree Oil applied to the lesions might help, it is especially good for viral and bacterial infestations on the skin. Taking OLE - olive leaf extract might be good, too.

Cheryl

Guest guest

Not that I am aware of.

Steph

Re: Re: shingles

Can Iodine completely remove viruses like shingles from someone's system? What would happen if they were exposed again? Would they have immunity?~W

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:22 PM, cheryl_b_1 <mossyforrestcenturytel (DOT) net> wrote:

My thought would be that the Iodine may have taken the virus out of dormancy, this may have to happen in order to rid the body of the dormant/latent virus. When virus are dormant they still do harm. There just arent any or many symptoms outwardly. Some virus are very adept at hiding themselves. And when faced with threat, such as iodine would pose, they might go into hyper drive trying to save themselves, hyper immune response (similar to what vaccines do), which might cause the auto immune reaction.Personally, i would cover the lesions with iodine and increase, not decrease, my iodine and get rid of the virus. It is harder to do when its painful tho, so he has to do what he can tolerate.I'm not sure what VCO is. But if not wanting to try iodine, Tea Tree Oil applied to the lesions might help, it is especially good for viral and bacterial infestations on the skin. Taking OLE - olive leaf extract might be good, too.Cheryl

Guest guest

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and info. I went to my Dr. today and he

confirmed that I do have Shingles. He is doing a " frequency wave " treatment on

me for three days, B shots and gave me a list of supplements to take, some I am

already on for the iodine protocol.

I also bought the homeopathic med for shingles.

I guess I'm a bit perplexed as to why I ended up with this. I would think since

the iodine (taking for two months) is anti-bacterial and anti-viral, and I'm

taking Low dose naltrexone (10 months) which bolsters the immune system, why did

I have this outbreak? I guess I'm frustrated because my fibro pain is alot

better as of the last two weeks and now I have this to contend with for at least

three weeks. Just venting I guess.

Tina

> >

> >

> > From: " Tina_Dunckel " <tina_dunckel@ ...>

> > Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:48:29

> > <iodinegroups (DOT) com>

> > Subject: Detox symptom or something else?

> >

> > I am on 100mg of Iodoral with all the supporting supplements

and celtic salt. Have been at 100mg for about one month with very minor detox

symptoms. About three days ago I got a rash under my left breast and now it

looks to be spreading around to my back. It is red, raised with a few blisters.

Does this sound like a detox symptom. I'm wondering if I might have shingles.

Would the iodine be causing the shingles since we know it can be forcing toxins

out of our bodies. Since the shingles is a virus, does iodine detox us from

viruses? I am also on LDN 4.5mg for fibromyalgia since february.

> >

> > Any insite or help on what to do would be appreciated. I

lowered the iodine to 50mg this morning. Am also doing salt loading today.I'm

not in alot of pain at this point but a bit uncomfortable since the rash is in

an area that gets irritation.

> >

> > Thanks,

> >

> > Tina

> >

> >

> >

> > ------------ --------- --------- ------

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

Cheryl,

You wrote:

>Personally, i would cover the lesions with iodine and increase, not decrease,

my iodine and get rid of the virus. It is harder to do when its painful tho, so

he has to do what he can tolerate.

I agree that it must be what he can tolerate. From what I saw on shingles.com

today, I think it's important that it not flare up any worse than it is now - it

can cause vision damage & his lesions are very near the eye right now, & he

thinks the lump is descending closer to the eye each day. That is why I

recommended backing off on the iodine. I do not mean that he should stop it,

but just get to a detox level that is not dangerous.

>I'm not sure what VCO is. But if not wanting to try iodine, Tea Tree Oil

applied to the lesions might help, it is especially good for viral and bacterial

infestations on the skin. Taking OLE - olive leaf extract might be good, too.

Sorry for the abbreviation - VCO is virgin coconut oil. I have OLE and Lemon

Balm (also good for any herpes family viruses) on order, but just found out it's

on back order. My friend cannot afford supplements, he lives in a room in a

YMCA after being homeless for 2 years & is on food stamps. I got him started on

Iodoral & will share any thing I have that will help alleviate the shingles he

has, but I'm struggling to pay for my own supplements so we'll just have to see

how it goes.

thank you for your kind and caring reply.

Best,

Connie

Guest guest

Connie,

As a suggestion, I was able to clear a very stubborn systemic virus from my system by using the coconut ( AVO ) ( lauric acid ) oil along with borage oil ( GLA ) to break into the 'sac' the virus harbors in. The two acids combined is reported to do the job.

Medical Dr. had no remedy for me... no one expected me to live; I cleared it up in just a few days.

I have since regained my health. And rarely get sick.........

Bonnie

Re: shingles

Cheryl,You wrote:>Personally, i would cover the lesions with iodine and increase, not decrease, my iodine and get rid of the virus. It is harder to do when its painful tho, so he has to do what he can tolerate.I agree that it must be what he can tolerate. From what I saw on shingles.com today, I think it's important that it not flare up any worse than it is now - it can cause vision damage & his lesions are very near the eye right now, & he thinks the lump is descending closer to the eye each day. That is why I recommended backing off on the iodine. I do not mean that he should stop it, but just get to a detox level that is not dangerous.>I'm not sure what VCO is. But if not wanting to try iodine, Tea Tree Oil applied to the lesions might help, it is especially good for viral and bacterial infestations on the skin. Taking OLE - olive leaf extract might be good, too.Sorry for the abbreviation - VCO is virgin coconut oil. I have OLE and Lemon Balm (also good for any herpes family viruses) on order, but just found out it's on back order. My friend cannot afford supplements, he lives in a room in a YMCA after being homeless for 2 years & is on food stamps. I got him started on Iodoral & will share any thing I have that will help alleviate the shingles he has, but I'm struggling to pay for my own supplements so we'll just have to see how it goes.thank you for your kind and caring reply.Best,Connie

Guest guest

Herpes virus is a hard one to kick. I think you should try a variety of protocols. Simultaneously is probably fine. It will certainly weaken it. It takes a long to kill it or render it ineffective. It does try to com back and grow, so you have to be as vigilant as it is.

I am sure they iodine protocol, virgin coconut oil, the food grade H2O2 and/or ozone therapy as well as homeopathic remedies can all be effective and should all be tried together or separately. Try checking out the website called abchomeopathy.com

Jag

From: cheryl_b_1 <mossyforrest@...>Subject: Re: shinglesiodine Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2009, 7:28 PM

There are several small studies that show a complete inactivation of virus by using iodine.One was a 2008 Harvard HIV study, with the test subjects having a 89% inactivation of the HIV virus. Another was a genital herpes study that showed complete remission of viral lesions by applying iodine several times daily. In both of those i was unable to find any follow up studies by the same authors, even tho they said further study is warranted.There are even more in vitro studies showing Iodine to kill virus. And several mouse studies as well.And there are quite a few fish studies using iodine to remove virus from fish. My thought is that since people are able to remove virus's thru antivirals and LDN and other protocols, and since Iodine is proven to be a viral inhibitor it would make sense that if there was enough Iodine then virus would be inactivated and removed from the body. So yes, I do think

Iodine will remove virus's from anyones systems once they are sufficient and remain that way. Once a person has a virus they produce antibodies and they dont get it again. At least thats what they keep telling us... But There sure are alot of autistic kids (and there may be others in other populations and i dont know it) with both latent virus and antibodies to the virus so that theory is kinda flaky to me... IF shingles is a virus and goes dormant and then flares why does it not act like other virus and be controlled by antibodies? Would love an answer to that one!Cheryl >> Can Iodine completely remove viruses like shingles from someone's system?> What would happen if they were

exposed again? Would they have immunity?> > ~W>

Guest guest

Is he using Rife Frequencies? You have to do a sweep, because virii tend to mutate every so slightly to get out of the "kill zone" of the frequency. Let us know how it works for you.

Jag

From: Tina_Dunckel <tina_dunckel@...>Subject: Re: shinglesiodine Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2009, 5:47 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and info. I went to my Dr. today and he confirmed that I do have Shingles. He is doing a "frequency wave" treatment on me for three days, B shots and gave me a list of supplements to take, some I am already on for the iodine protocol.I also bought the homeopathic med for shingles. I guess I'm a bit perplexed as to why I ended up with this. I would think since the iodine (taking for two months) is anti-bacterial and anti-viral, and I'm taking Low dose naltrexone (10 months) which bolsters the immune system, why did I have this outbreak? I guess I'm frustrated because my fibro pain is alot better as of the last two weeks and now I have this to contend with for at least three weeks. Just venting I guess.Tina> > > > > > From: "Tina_Dunckel" <tina_dunckel@ ...>> > Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:48:29 > > <iodine@groups .

com>> > Subject: Detox symptom or something else?> > > > I am on 100mg of Iodoral with all the supporting supplements and celtic salt. Have been at 100mg for about one month with very minor detox symptoms. About three days ago I got a rash under my left breast and now it looks to be spreading around to my back. It is red, raised with a few blisters. Does this sound like a detox symptom. I'm wondering if I might have shingles. Would the iodine be causing the shingles since we know it can be forcing toxins out of our bodies. Since the shingles is a virus, does iodine detox us from viruses? I am also on LDN 4.5mg for fibromyalgia since february.> > > > Any insite or help on what to do would be appreciated. I lowered the iodine to 50mg this morning. Am also doing salt loading today.I'm not in alot of pain at this point but a bit uncomfortable since the rash is in an area that gets

irritation.> > > > Thanks,> > > > Tina> > > > > > > > ------------ --------- --------- ------> > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

Jag, thanks! I checked out the www.abchomeopathy.com site. My husband's having

shingle-like break-outs on his back and have been doing the VCO, tried direct

Iodoral last nite.

Sandi

> >

> > Can Iodine completely remove viruses like shingles from someone's system?

> > What would happen if they were exposed again? Would they have immunity?

> >

> > ~W

> >

>

Guest guest

I thought the fibro treatment is Iodoral, Armour, and HC/cortef. maybe

you need all of those and they would help with shingles? maybe you are

already taking them.

http://www.fibromyalgiarecovery.com

gracia

Tina_Dunckel wrote:

>

>

>

> Thanks everyone for the suggestions and info. I went to my Dr. today

> and he confirmed that I do have Shingles. He is doing a " frequency

> wave " treatment on me for three days, B shots and gave me a list of

> supplements to take, some I am already on for the iodine protocol.

>

> I also bought the homeopathic med for shingles.

>

> I guess I'm a bit perplexed as to why I ended up with this. I would

> think since the iodine (taking for two months) is anti-bacterial and

> anti-viral, and I'm taking Low dose naltrexone (10 months) which

> bolsters the immune system, why did I have this outbreak? I guess I'm

> frustrated because my fibro pain is alot better as of the last two

> weeks and now I have this to contend with for at least three weeks.

> Just venting I guess.

>

> Tina

>

> > >

> > >

> > > From: " Tina_Dunckel " <tina_dunckel@ ...>

> > > Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:48:29

> > > <iodinegroups (DOT) com>

> > > Subject: Detox symptom or something else?

> > >

> > > I am on 100mg of Iodoral with all the supporting supplements and

> celtic salt. Have been at 100mg for about one month with very minor

> detox symptoms. About three days ago I got a rash under my left breast

> and now it looks to be spreading around to my back. It is red, raised

> with a few blisters. Does this sound like a detox symptom. I'm

> wondering if I might have shingles. Would the iodine be causing the

> shingles since we know it can be forcing toxins out of our bodies.

> Since the shingles is a virus, does iodine detox us from viruses? I am

> also on LDN 4.5mg for fibromyalgia since february.

> > >

> > > Any insite or help on what to do would be appreciated. I lowered

> the iodine to 50mg this morning. Am also doing salt loading today.I'm

> not in alot of pain at this point but a bit uncomfortable since the

> rash is in an area that gets irritation.

> > >

> > > Thanks,

> > >

> > > Tina

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > ------------ --------- --------- ------

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

Guest guest

one of the best treatment for fibro is low dose naltrexone.

there are studies at stanford university.

http://snapl.stanford.edu/ldn/

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Gracia <circe@...> wrote:

I thought the fibro treatment is Iodoral, Armour, and HC/cortef. maybeyou need all of those and they would help with shingles? maybe you are

already taking them.http://www.fibromyalgiarecovery.comgraciaTina_Dunckel wrote:>>>> Thanks everyone for the suggestions and info. I went to my Dr. today

> and he confirmed that I do have Shingles. He is doing a " frequency> wave " treatment on me for three days, B shots and gave me a list of> supplements to take, some I am already on for the iodine protocol.

>> I also bought the homeopathic med for shingles.>> I guess I'm a bit perplexed as to why I ended up with this. I would> think since the iodine (taking for two months) is anti-bacterial and

> anti-viral, and I'm taking Low dose naltrexone (10 months) which> bolsters the immune system, why did I have this outbreak? I guess I'm> frustrated because my fibro pain is alot better as of the last two

> weeks and now I have this to contend with for at least three weeks.> Just venting I guess.>> Tina>> > >> > >> > > From: " Tina_Dunckel " <tina_dunckel@ ...>

> > > Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:48:29> > > <iodinegroups (DOT) com>> > > Subject: Detox symptom or something else?> > >> > > I am on 100mg of Iodoral with all the supporting supplements and

> celtic salt. Have been at 100mg for about one month with very minor> detox symptoms. About three days ago I got a rash under my left breast> and now it looks to be spreading around to my back. It is red, raised

> with a few blisters. Does this sound like a detox symptom. I'm> wondering if I might have shingles. Would the iodine be causing the> shingles since we know it can be forcing toxins out of our bodies.

> Since the shingles is a virus, does iodine detox us from viruses? I am> also on LDN 4.5mg for fibromyalgia since february.> > >> > > Any insite or help on what to do would be appreciated. I lowered

> the iodine to 50mg this morning. Am also doing salt loading today.I'm> not in alot of pain at this point but a bit uncomfortable since the> rash is in an area that gets irritation.> > >

> > > Thanks,> > >> > > Tina> > >> > >> > >> > > ------------ --------- --------- ------> > >> > >> > >

> > >> > >

Guest guest

I have had shingles twice. Once when I was about 31 years old and again when I

was about 40 years old. Both times brought on by stress I believe. You can get

it several times but as you pointed out it's typically something that happens in

older people. If caught soon enough they can give you something now so that the

blisters don't form but you have to be pretty smart to diagnose it and get help

immediately as it's kind of hard to tell if it's a rash or shingles.

>

> Have many of you had experience with shingles? I developed a very mild

> case during my hospital stay after my revision in 2007. It was caught

> right away and treated effectively with no long-lasting effects.

> However, about a month ago I develop what I thought was a small patch of

> dry skin on my back/side. I just kept putting lotion on it and ignoring

> it until my ribs became very painful and the rash patches spread

> recently. I went to my doctor yesterday and she confirmed that it was

> shingles. Unfortunately, I waited quite a while before getting it

> checked out, since I thought it was just dry skin. I mean, who goes to

> the doctor for a little patch of dry skin? So anyways, I am on

> anti-virals now, as well as neurontin for the pain. And I'm on

> antibiotics for another UTI.

>

> The first time I developed shingles, I was told it was likely due to the

> intense physical stress of the revision surgery on the body. This time

> around, who knows why! I was just curious if anyone else has had this

> happen. BTW, I'm 34 years old, and my darling hubby keeps teasing me

> that shingles is " an old person's disease " - even tho I know it's not

> unheard of in younger people :)

>

>

>

Guest guest

I have never had shingles, but my mother did about 8 years ago. Hers was on her face and was very painful, my sympathies are with you as this is a most painful illness. One thing I did learn back then was that they were testing the chicken pox vaccine on people who had shingles to see if it would prevent another outbreak. You can only get shingles if you had the chicken pox at sometime in your life. The virus hibernates in your nervous systems and can pop out due to stress and/or aging. The older you get, the more your risk for getting shingles increases. I would ask your doctor about getting the chicken pox vaccine, or do some research on your own prior to asking him/her about it. It may help prevent them from coming back again.

Jeanne

shingles

Have many of you had experience with shingles? I developed a very mildcase during my hospital stay after my revision in 2007. It was caughtright away and treated effectively with no long-lasting effects. However, about a month ago I develop what I thought was a small patch ofdry skin on my back/side. I just kept putting lotion on it and ignoringit until my ribs became very painful and the rash patches spreadrecently. I went to my doctor yesterday and she confirmed that it wasshingles. Unfortunately, I waited quite a while before getting itchecked out, since I thought it was just dry skin. I mean, who goes tothe doctor for a little patch of dry skin? So anyways, I am onanti-virals now, as well as neurontin for the pain. And I'm onantibiotics for another UTI.The first time I developed shingles, I was told it was likely due to theintense physical stress of the revision surgery on the body. This timearound, who knows why! I was just curious if anyone else has had thishappen. BTW, I'm 34 years old, and my darling hubby keeps teasing methat shingles is "an old person's disease" - even tho I know it's notunheard of in younger people :)

Guest guest

Exactly! Had the thought of " shingles " ever crossed my mind, I would have been

much more aggressive in getting it taken care of. But I just thought it was

rash from dry skin! Do you have residual pain from yours? How long did it take

for the rash to clear up?

> >

> > Have many of you had experience with shingles? I developed a very mild

> > case during my hospital stay after my revision in 2007. It was caught

> > right away and treated effectively with no long-lasting effects.

> > However, about a month ago I develop what I thought was a small patch of

> > dry skin on my back/side. I just kept putting lotion on it and ignoring

> > it until my ribs became very painful and the rash patches spread

> > recently. I went to my doctor yesterday and she confirmed that it was

> > shingles. Unfortunately, I waited quite a while before getting it

> > checked out, since I thought it was just dry skin. I mean, who goes to

> > the doctor for a little patch of dry skin? So anyways, I am on

> > anti-virals now, as well as neurontin for the pain. And I'm on

> > antibiotics for another UTI.

> >

> > The first time I developed shingles, I was told it was likely due to the

> > intense physical stress of the revision surgery on the body. This time

> > around, who knows why! I was just curious if anyone else has had this

> > happen. BTW, I'm 34 years old, and my darling hubby keeps teasing me

> > that shingles is " an old person's disease " - even tho I know it's not

> > unheard of in younger people :)

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

I'll ask my doc about that. Thanks for the tip :)

>

> I have never had shingles, but my mother did about 8 years ago. Hers was on

her face and was very painful, my sympathies are with you as this is a most

painful illness. One thing I did learn back then was that they were testing the

chicken pox vaccine on people who had shingles to see if it would prevent

another outbreak. You can only get shingles if you had the chicken pox at

sometime in your life. The virus hibernates in your nervous systems and can pop

out due to stress and/or aging. The older you get, the more your risk for

getting shingles increases. I would ask your doctor about getting the chicken

pox vaccine, or do some research on your own prior to asking him/her about it.

It may help prevent them from coming back again.

>

> Jeanne

>

>

> shingles

>

>

>

> Have many of you had experience with shingles? I developed a very mild

> case during my hospital stay after my revision in 2007. It was caught

> right away and treated effectively with no long-lasting effects.

> However, about a month ago I develop what I thought was a small patch of

> dry skin on my back/side. I just kept putting lotion on it and ignoring

> it until my ribs became very painful and the rash patches spread

> recently. I went to my doctor yesterday and she confirmed that it was

> shingles. Unfortunately, I waited quite a while before getting it

> checked out, since I thought it was just dry skin. I mean, who goes to

> the doctor for a little patch of dry skin? So anyways, I am on

> anti-virals now, as well as neurontin for the pain. And I'm on

> antibiotics for another UTI.

>

> The first time I developed shingles, I was told it was likely due to the

> intense physical stress of the revision surgery on the body. This time

> around, who knows why! I was just curious if anyone else has had this

> happen. BTW, I'm 34 years old, and my darling hubby keeps teasing me

> that shingles is " an old person's disease " - even tho I know it's not

> unheard of in younger people :)

>

>

>

Guest guest

No I don't have any residual pain from either one but the first one was the

most severe. It was on my arm and it hurt for about three years after the

blistering went away. The one on my leg was caught prior to the blistering

so it was stopped. It hurt for about a month but that was about it. The rash

took about a month and a half to disappear although the scars still are

visible on my arm.

As for the " rash " diagnosis... if you have a rash and then notice another

one starting to form a short distance from it then you should have it

checked out immediately. I had a scare a few years ago when I developed a

rash all over my body that started out looking like shingles. It was

Pityriasis Rosea. My doctor looked at it and said it's either or... and

asked me whether I wanted the pills just in case. However the next day I was

covered and the answer was that it was Pityriasis Rosea so I never did have

to get the prescription filled.

Guest guest

For those that might not know Pityriasis Rosea looks like small groups of

Christmas trees in rash form all over the body. And there is no cure nor do

they really know what causes it. It itches like crazy and looks like

Shingles at first but after 24 to 36 hours there is no mistaking it. My

doctor said they thought it might also be stress related but weren't sure.

It is usually a childhood disease but adults get it. It goes away by itself

in about 4 months. At least that's how long I had it... and some lucky

people don't get the itch.

Sorry I know this is off topic so no more said :)

Guest guest

Thanks for the info :) It's definitely not what I have, because I don't have

itching and my rash doesn't look the way you described PR to be. I'm glad that

you & your doc caught it, but it certainly doesn't sound very pleasant to have

had all of the itching!

>

> For those that might not know Pityriasis Rosea looks like small groups of

> Christmas trees in rash form all over the body. And there is no cure nor do

> they really know what causes it. It itches like crazy and looks like

> Shingles at first but after 24 to 36 hours there is no mistaking it. My

> doctor said they thought it might also be stress related but weren't sure.

> It is usually a childhood disease but adults get it. It goes away by itself

> in about 4 months. At least that's how long I had it... and some lucky

> people don't get the itch.

>

> Sorry I know this is off topic so no more said :)

>

>

>

Guest guest

It's true that older people are at greater risk of shingles (as are

people with other health problems, particularly autoimmune disorders),

but young people can certainly get it too. All of us who have had

chickenpox carry the herpes zoster virus in our bodies for the rest of

our lives. When we are under extra stress or have lowered immunity for

any reason, this virus can become active and cause a case of shingles --

which I don't have to tell you can be exceedingly painful. It sounds as

if you are doing all the right things for your shingles. Undoubtely your

doctor warned you to avoid exposing vulnerable people to your condition,

such as pregnant women who have never had chickenpox or the chickenpox

vaccine. You can not give anyone shingles, but, oddly enough, you can

give them chickenpox -- which is why shingles is classified as

" contagious. "

Let's hope this is your second and last case of shingles. To prevent or

minimize the effects of a third outbreak, I'm afraid you'll have to wait

until age 60! -- it's only at 60 or later that you can get a shingles

vaccination.

I sure hope you are feeling much better by now. Having shingles and a

UTI at the same time sounds like pure misery. I'm so sorry you have to

contend with all this.

Best,

> >

> > Have many of you had experience with shingles? I developed a very

mild

> > case during my hospital stay after my revision in 2007. It was

caught

> > right away and treated effectively with no long-lasting effects.

> > However, about a month ago I develop what I thought was a small

patch of

> > dry skin on my back/side. I just kept putting lotion on it and

ignoring

> > it until my ribs became very painful and the rash patches spread

> > recently. I went to my doctor yesterday and she confirmed that it

was

> > shingles. Unfortunately, I waited quite a while before getting it

> > checked out, since I thought it was just dry skin. I mean, who goes

to

> > the doctor for a little patch of dry skin? So anyways, I am on

> > anti-virals now, as well as neurontin for the pain. And I'm on

> > antibiotics for another UTI.

> >

> > The first time I developed shingles, I was told it was likely due to

the

> > intense physical stress of the revision surgery on the body. This

time

> > around, who knows why! I was just curious if anyone else has had

this

> > happen. BTW, I'm 34 years old, and my darling hubby keeps teasing

me

> > that shingles is " an old person's disease " - even tho I know it's

not

> > unheard of in younger people :)

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Sent from my iPhoneOn May 26, 2010, at 8:13 AM, "rebeccamaas" <rebeccamaas@...> wrote:

Have many of you had experience with shingles? I developed a very mild

case during my hospital stay after my revision in 2007. It was caught

right away and treated effectively with no long-lasting effects.

However, about a month ago I develop what I thought was a small patch of

dry skin on my back/side. I just kept putting lotion on it and ignoring

it until my ribs became very painful and the rash patches spread

recently. I went to my doctor yesterday and she confirmed that it was

shingles. Unfortunately, I waited quite a while before getting it

checked out, since I thought it was just dry skin. I mean, who goes to

the doctor for a little patch of dry skin? So anyways, I am on

anti-virals now, as well as neurontin for the pain. And I'm on

antibiotics for another UTI.

The first time I developed shingles, I was told it was likely due to the

intense physical stress of the revision surgery on the body. This time

around, who knows why! I was just curious if anyone else has had this

happen. BTW, I'm 34 years old, and my darling hubby keeps teasing me

that shingles is "an old person's disease" - even tho I know it's not

unheard of in younger people :)

Guest guest

i I have not had shingles, personally, but I know that cervical epidural steroid injection is very effective at minimizing the pain and symptoms.On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Luff <lufflauren@...> wrote:

Sent from my iPhoneOn May 26, 2010, at 8:13 AM, " rebeccamaas " <rebeccamaas@...> wrote:

Have many of you had experience with shingles? I developed a very mild

case during my hospital stay after my revision in 2007. It was caught

right away and treated effectively with no long-lasting effects.

However, about a month ago I develop what I thought was a small patch of

dry skin on my back/side. I just kept putting lotion on it and ignoring

it until my ribs became very painful and the rash patches spread

recently. I went to my doctor yesterday and she confirmed that it was

shingles. Unfortunately, I waited quite a while before getting it

checked out, since I thought it was just dry skin. I mean, who goes to

the doctor for a little patch of dry skin? So anyways, I am on

anti-virals now, as well as neurontin for the pain. And I'm on

antibiotics for another UTI.

The first time I developed shingles, I was told it was likely due to the

intense physical stress of the revision surgery on the body. This time

around, who knows why! I was just curious if anyone else has had this

happen. BTW, I'm 34 years old, and my darling hubby keeps teasing me

that shingles is " an old person's disease " - even tho I know it's not

unheard of in younger people :)

-- KATE TRUDO

Guest guest

Hi

They last about two weeks. The crusts mean they won't spread any more but I

have to be honest, I had a lot of pain in my left leg where it hit me. I took

Lyrica for a few months because I was in bad shape for quite a while. This was

over two years ago and my leg still has some numbness down the calf. I also had

chicken pox with it.

Hang in, it does heal.

Joan

Guest guest

I have had shingles several times both before and after my cll dx. I've even

had it in my mouth. first, YES the symptoms you describe can be shingles

related. I have one serious concern, the use of cortisone of any type while you

have shingles. ESPECIALLY in and around the eye. Cortisone WILL make the

symtoms less severe, but can push the virus farther into the eye, causing

permanent damage. If I were you I would consider seeing a highly trained

specialist in the opthamology dept. This is my experience and my opinion but if

you search cortisone treatment for ocular herpes, and I believe you will find

such warnings. Many doctors who are not eye specialists may not be aware of

this.

I was diagnosed with SICCA last year, and it was horridly painful, it was missed

for three months and treated with drops, as an infection, offered combo

antibiotic with cortisone and I refused due to what I had learned earlier... it

turns out that when I got to a highly trained eye specialist he opted NOT to use

his own preferred treatment for SICCA, an auto immune dry eye, secondary dry

eye, restasis because it is a cortisone type treatment,,, cyclosporin, and

withCLL and history of shingles he said no...

please take a moment and google some articles on herpes in the eye... shingles

is herpes that inflames the nerves.. once it takes hold it will stay there....

cortisone treatment will stop the symptoms, but may push the virus farther in.

if you'd like to contact me off list it's fine... be well, best of luck, beth

fillman

Guest guest

Shingles essentially erased 3 months from my life.

The pain began 2 or 3 days before the rash appeared.

The pain was unmanageable for over a month.

(6 years ago -- I hope better treatment is available now.)

wayne

Guest guest

CLL Group,

I originally was going to respond to Wayne only; however, although this is a

little wordy it  is a good example of shingles being treated quickly and

effectively (if things continue to progress as they have). Also, I'm sure a lot

of you are like me and get 90% of your CLL and related information from our

group. For those other newbies this is a good description of what shingles is

like--since it seems that us CLLers are prone to this. The group has helped me

many times by sharing their experiences and I hope this will help to clarify

what shingles might look like at the onset and one of the paths it could

take. For those case-hardened veterans of CLL, it might be worth skipping over.

Wayne,

My family doctor prescribed Valtrex and Prednisone and (fingers crossed) I'm

progressing well. Here's my time line:

Note: Prior to the concrete symptoms listed below there were other unexplainable

things occurring that may or may not have been shingles-related but they

definitely were more severe than they were before this approximate 3-month

period. They were:

1. Fatigue was greater than usual over the past few months. Including reduced

concentration and mental acuity.

2. Pain (sometimes fairly sharp) in the far-left abdomen around the bottom of

the rib cage.

3. Headaches--moderate to severe.

Sunday morning - a painful pimple on the left side of forehead.

Monday - some small bumps appeared and my left eye began to swell.

Tuesday - the left eye was just about swollen closed in the morning (got a

little better after a couple of hours), the small bumps grew, and there was

a moderate pain on the side of my face and neck. Went to work but wore a

baseball cap--which looked right smart with business casual dress.... Sleeping

was difficult due to pain.

Wednesday - Eye was again just about swollen shut in the morning, the bumps were

bigger and uglier, and as the day went on the pain became semi-severe

(headache, ear ache, eye ache, what felt like six tooth aches, and the side of

my face and neck were hurting pretty good). The left side of my face was swollen

and the area around my left eye and forehead was red and black (like I got hit

several times with a pipe). Went to the doctor and started prednisone and

Valtrex. Couldn't sleep Wednesday night because of pain (even after taking a

pain killer).

Thursday - It started pretty much like Wednesday ended and, although I still

looked kind of like Shrek, things got better as the day went on. Went to an eye

specialist and he said that there is some inflammation of the eye itself but he

didn't seem too excited--just gave me a prescription for an anti-viral drop and

topical ointment then told me to see him in a week. Some pain Thursday night but

better than Wednesday.

Friday - Still didn't look normal but felt pretty good and there wasn't much

pain. Walked 3 miles in the morning and did 3 sets of weight lifting. Was a

little tired afterwards but, honestly, felt better than I did in months. My

joints feel better than they did in 10 years!

Saturday - Very little pain and more weight lifting! A little tired compared to

before I was diagnosed with CLL; however, more energy than I had in a long time!

The left eye is open around 75% but still a little red. The bumps have subsided

but are still red and black with some scabbing.

If things continue to progress I will be able to say that shingles was only a

moderate pain in the rear. I'm thankful to my family doctor for starting

treatment right away and for getting me into an eye specialist so quickly.

Thanks again for your response!

Chris

Subject: Re: Shingles

Date: Saturday, March 19, 2011, 11:18 AM

Shingles essentially erased 3 months from my life.

The pain began 2 or 3 days before the rash appeared.

The pain was unmanageable for over a month.

(6 years ago -- I hope better treatment is available now.)

wayne

Guest guest

it's great to hear such a wonderful success story!

Scary when it is close to the eye, from what I hear.

I pray your post will alert someone to prompt

response to shingles.

Much different, my experience began with pain in

my lower back.  It must have been Dec. 21 or 22,

2003.  Not a good time to try to get an appointment

with a doctor; so went to the ER, where it was not

recognized as shingles.  When the rash appeared

and I realized 'shingles!', it was Christmas eve. 

Back to the ER.  But it was too late when I began the

antiviral med. No pain relief for several weeks, until

I got a couple of epidural injections.  Genuine

'post-herpetic neuralgia'.  Still could feel the

consequences in my muscles occasionally

6 years later.  Gone now.

BEGIN ANTIVIRAL WITHIN 3 DAYS!

Best wishes,

wayne