was diagnosed with hypothyroidism today. He said that he got it from

his son, who must have gotten it from me!!! (My boyfriend has not been

tested.) Has anyone heard of anything about hypothyroidism or

Hashimoto's being contagious? Please let me know - I feel so attacked

lately, not only from my Hashimoto's antibodies, but from what should

be my support system as well!

Thank you,

Guest guest

from another list---seems truly bizarre.

GraciaYou wrote:> ... my boyfriend's father> was diagnosed with hypothyroidism today. He said that he got it from> his son, who must have gotten it from me!!! No. None of the forms of hypoT are contagious or infectious. Some environmental causes have been suspected as triggers for autoimmune conditions, particularly chronic exposure to high doses of iodine:http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/87/12/5499Chuck

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.519 / Virus Database: 269.21.8/1337 - Release Date: 3/20/2008 8:10 PM

Guest guest

Maybe not so crazy.

There is some evidence to suggest forms of so-called auto-immune thyroid diseases may have an infectious component. Five years ago, I researched this subject regarding Hashi's before I ever heard of iodine. This is not well-studied or understood but some alt med doctors approach the auto-immune diseases from an anti-microbial strategy.

Keep in mind Bush Sr, Barbara Bush and their dog, "Millie," all had Graves' disease.

Lynne

In a message dated 3/22/2008 6:40:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, circe@... writes:

GraciaYou wrote:> ... my boyfriend's father> was diagnosed with hypothyroidism today. He said that he got it from> his son, who must have gotten it from me!!! No. None of the forms of hypoT are contagious or infectious. Some environmental causes have been suspected as triggers for autoimmune conditions, particularly chronic exposure to high doses of iodine:http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/87/12/5499Chuck

Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home.

Guest guest

Hi, Here is an article regarding a bacteria that could cause Hashimoto's. Still pregnant and finally over morning sickness!! Yippee!! Hugs, Could Antibiotics Cure Your Hashimoto's Disease Foodborne Bacteria May Be a Cause of Hashimoto's Disease by ShomonAn interesting research study out of Greece, and reported on in the journal Clinical Microbiology & Infection has reported that there

is strong evidence of some sort of caustive relationship between the bacteria known as Yersinia enterocolitica infection, and Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Yersinia enterocolitica is a type of bacteria, a few strains of which can cause illness in humans. Yersinia enterocolitica bacteria are found in the fecal matter of livestock, domesticated and wild animals. You can be exposed to yersinia enterocolitica, therefore, via contaminated meats -- especially raw or undercooked products -- poultry, unpasteurized milk and dairy products, seafood -- and particularly oysters -- from sewage-contaminated waters and produce fertilized with raw manure. Foods can also be contaminated by food handlers who have not effectively washed their hands before handling food or utensils used to prepare food. Improper storage can also contribute to contamination.Acute infection reportedly occurs most often in young children, where symptoms are typically fever, abdominal pain, and

diarrhea. In older children and adults, right-sided abdominal pain and fever may be the predominant symptoms, and may be confused with appendicitis. In a percentage of cases, complications such as skin rash, joint pains and arthritic-like symptoms can occur. Until recently, the major "complication" has been thought to be the performance of unnecessary appendectomies, since one of the main symptoms of infection is abdominal pain of the lower right quadrant.The CDC estimates that about 17,000 documented cases occur annually in the USA. It is more common outside the United States. In this research, investigators studied the prevalence of antibodies to Yersinia enterocolitica in patients with diagnosed Hashimoto's thyroiditis. What the researchers found was the the prevalence of antibodies to yersinia --evidence of exposure -- was 14 times higher in people

with Hashimoto's thyroiditis than in the control groups. The researchers concluded that there is strong evidence for "an immunopathologic causative relationship between Yersinia enterocolitica infection and Hashimoto's thyroiditis." They also said that the possible effects of antibiotic therapies for Hashimoto's should be investigated. What Can You Do?If you have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and in particular, if you have any of the symptoms or risk factors for yersinia exposure, ask your doctor for a stool test that can detect yersinia enterocolitica. Since many laboratories do not routinely test for Y. enterocolitica, it is particularly important for your doctor to notify laboratory personnel when infection with this bacterium is suspected so that special tests can be done. Great Smokies Diagnostic Labs can do this testing. Specifically, your doctor would need

to order the Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis, and specially request the test for yersinia be added.If detected, yersinia can be treated by various drugs, including antibiotics like doxycycline. Resources Clinical Microbiology & Infection Yersinia slythy@... wrote: Maybe not so crazy. There is some evidence to suggest forms of so-called auto-immune thyroid diseases may have an infectious component. Five years ago, I researched this subject regarding Hashi's before I ever heard of iodine. This is not well-studied or understood but some alt med doctors approach the auto-immune diseases from an anti-microbial strategy. Keep in mind Bush Sr, Barbara Bush and their dog, "Millie," all had Graves' disease. Lynne In a message

dated 3/22/2008 6:40:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, circe@... writes: from another list---seems truly bizarre. GraciaYou wrote:> ... my boyfriend's father> was diagnosed with hypothyroidism today. He said that he got it from> his son, who must have gotten it from me!!! No. None of the forms of hypoT are contagious or infectious. Some environmental causes have been suspected as triggers for autoimmune conditions, particularly chronic exposure to high doses of iodine:http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/87/12/5499Chuck Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home.

Guest guest

hi

I can entertain the possibility of autoimmune diseases being caused by infections (think iodine for treatment and prevention). what seemed crazy to me is linking autoimmune illnesses with "chronic exposure to high dose iodine"

Gracia

Maybe not so crazy.

There is some evidence to suggest forms of so-called auto-immune thyroid diseases may have an infectious component. Five years ago, I researched this subject regarding Hashi's before I ever heard of iodine. This is not well-studied or understood but some alt med doctors approach the auto-immune diseases from an anti-microbial strategy.

Keep in mind Bush Sr, Barbara Bush and their dog, "Millie," all had Graves' disease.

Lynne

In a message dated 3/22/2008 6:40:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, circe@... writes:

Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.519 / Virus Database: 269.21.8/1340 - Release Date: 3/23/2008 6:50 PM