back with an autism dx, they will help you?. its the same child with the same

needs. that's what I don't understand, why doesn't all professionals go by what

the child needs?.

Yes, that is exactly the case. The regional center for my area covers

certain conditions, including Autism. It doesn't cover Aspergers. It isn't

done by need, it's done by diagnosis.

Willa

Guest guest

Rose,I think your onto something. I feel that my son was Dx with aspergers but with all the intervention and his little bouts of knowlede that just happen out of no where that I am so thankful for. I wonder if he will outgrow that Dx. He is definately improving not there yet but I believe that he will be caught up sooner than originally thought. I will ask the neurologist about the possibilty of a new Dx for the future. Ada TickleFrom: gina <ginak1117@...>Subject: ( ) Re: Aspergers versus HFA Date: Thursday, August 14, 2008, 5:17 PM

Rose,

You hit the nail on the head. You are so right. Due to early

intervention with collin he has come along way, alot further than the

docs told me he would ever come. I do think collin was HFA and now he

is difinately aspergers. Wow, I never thought of it like that but you

are so right. You have opened my eyes to why he has been dx

differently. the doctors saw him at different times in his life.

thanks for paying attention.

> > } At one time it was thought by many experts that they were

> different - HFA

> > } had language delay while Aspergers did not. Today most experts

> believe

> > } there is no difference. In fact, I just read an article on Tony

> Attwood's

> > } site in which he says there is no difference; within the last

> year or so I

> > } read an article on his site that said they were different (for

> the reason I

> > } stated above).

> >

> > That seems to leave no useful term for those kids who are quite

> > functional yet did have language delay. I'm thinking of my son

> > here, and also a friend's daughter who just got a tenative AS

> diagnosis,

> > but I remember very clearly her language issues as a toddler.

> > (Which at the time we all thought adorable.)

> >

> > Of course, the whole concept of "functional" is very subjective,

> > but the experience of having a kid with classic autism and a kid

> > with HFA can be so different, I feel uncomfortable just calling

> > it "autism."

> >

> > Willa

> >

>

Guest guest

I don't beleive you can grow out of AS...improvements ...yes...but it will always be there. And, for some they can learn to manage it....

Jan

Jan Rushen

Smile because it is contagious!!!!

From: gina <ginak1117att (DOT) net>Subject: ( ) Re: Aspergers versus HFA Date: Thursday, August 14, 2008, 5:17 PM

Rose,You hit the nail on the head. You are so right. Due to early intervention with collin he has come along way, alot further than the docs told me he would ever come. I do think collin was HFA and now he is difinately aspergers. Wow, I never thought of it like that but you are so right. You have opened my eyes to why he has been dx differently. the doctors saw him at different times in his life. thanks for paying attention. > > } At one time it was thought by many experts that they were > different - HFA> > } had language delay while Aspergers did not. Today most experts > believe> > } there is no difference. In fact, I just read an article on Tony > Attwood's> > } site in which he says there is no difference; within the last > year or so I> > } read an article on his site that said they were different (for > the reason I> > } stated above). > > > > That seems to leave no useful term for those kids who are quite> > functional yet did have language delay. I'm thinking of my son> > here, and also a friend's daughter who just got a tenative AS > diagnosis,> > but I remember very clearly her language issues as a toddler.> > (Which at the time we all thought adorable.) > > > > Of course, the

whole concept of "functional" is very subjective,> > but the experience of having a kid with classic autism and a kid> > with HFA can be so different, I feel uncomfortable just calling> > it "autism."> > > > Willa> >>

Guest guest

I don't beleive you can grow out of AS...improvements ...yes...but it will always be there. And, for some they can learn to manage it....

Jan

Jan Rushen

Smile because it is contagious!!!!

From: gina <ginak1117att (DOT) net>Subject: ( ) Re: Aspergers versus HFA Date: Thursday, August 14, 2008, 5:17 PM

Rose,You hit the nail on the head. You are so right. Due to early intervention with collin he has come along way, alot further than the docs told me he would ever come. I do think collin was HFA and now he is difinately aspergers. Wow, I never thought of it like that but you are so right. You have opened my eyes to why he has been dx differently. the doctors saw him at different times in his life. thanks for paying attention. > > } At one time it was thought by many experts that they were > different - HFA> > } had language delay while Aspergers did not. Today most experts > believe> > } there is no difference. In fact, I just read an article on Tony > Attwood's> > } site in wh