RemedySpot.com
Guest guest

Re: Check out FDA Alerts: TNF-Blocker Drugs for Arthritis Increase Risk of Fungal

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Actually, the other part of the research that shows the increase of histoplasmosis in the Ohio River valley, shows that it was a problem that had gone undiagnosed, but existed as a pre-condition-- that is you already had a latent case of histoplasmosis when the BRM's were started-- and the lowered immune system allowed the fungus to take off. I know that Darlene was knocked out by this particular fungus and spent months in the hospital until her docs figured out what was going on.

My experience is that all this was relayed to me both by my physicians, the nurses at oncology where I get my infusions, and by the pharmacists. What they tell you is that if you start to run a fever, have rapid weight loss, if you get a yeast infection- thrush or vaginal or urinary tract infections-- get in and get on diflucan at the first sign of problems. You also have to be more cognisent of hand washing and checking that glass at the restaurant (if it has lipstick on it that isn't your color-- send it back) and just plain common sense hygiene issues to lower the risks of serious infection.

I've been on the Remicade now for a couple of years, and this August was the first time I ended up with pneumonia-- but I have to admit that we'd been on vacation-- sitting in the 2nd row of a 64 passenger jet Mail Boat going up the Rogue River in Oregon-- and I got soaked-- time and again throughout the entire day-- and it was cold day-- so not the best choice health wise-- but it was such a wonderful trip!! I was also super stressed out over the family reunion we were headed to and that didn't help.

As for the Remicade-- there is over 1 million people that have been treated with the medication, and that is just the ones they count that are on it for FDA approved conditions. So, much like the -2 inhibitors that had been temporarily taken off the market-- this article, although important to know that you need to ask to be tested for histoplasmosis (I have no idea of how they can do this-- Darlene can you add some light on that part??) before starting the drugs.

I know that all of us are well aware that any of the choices we make towards are treatment is one that we need to be as informed as possible, and not go blindly into anything. Know also that because we have become a society that reacts with lawsuits as soon as something we take creates a problem-- that our drug companies have to be extremely proactive in telling us all the bad things that can happen, even if the percentage is very small.

Blessings,

and thank you Ron for bringing this to our attention, I know that if I ever do get something nasty going-- that I'll make sure the antibiotic will kick ass on the fungals too!

Tracie

NS Co-owner/moderator

Check out FDA Alerts: TNF-Blocker Drugs for Arthritis Increase Risk of Fungal

THIS IS AN EXTREMELY IMPORTANT ARTICLE!!! URGENT!!! PLEASE READ IMMEDIATELY! !! IT CAN BE A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH!!!

FDA Alerts: TNF-Blocker Drugs for Arthritis Increase Risk of Fungal Infections

Ron

New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News more. Try it out!

Guest guest

Hi Tracie and all,

Yes, I had a really bad experience with Histoplasmosis...........in a nutshell, I was feeling

pretty badly the whole winter of 2005 and spring of 2006. All I could get from my Doctor

was that I was in a Sarc flare...... I started the Remicade in April 2006 and had three treatments.

I felt really good and was thrilled.... then in May 2006, I started vomiting every time I ate or

drank anything.........My Doctor tested me and tested me and nothing turned up, so he tried

different anti-biotics ....to no avail. By then it was July and I was put in the hospital where they

did tests for ten days (including a bronchoscopy where they drained my lungs of the fluid buildup

and did a sputum culture). I was getting worse so was transferred to Methodist Hospital in

Indianapolis where I met several wonderful Doctors. In the first 45 minutes of consultation with

my main Doctor, I was told he thought I had Histoplasmosis but he would have to do tests to

confirm it.......which he did. A few days later, my "home" Doctor called the new one and said

his tests had come back Histo and at the same time. my new Doctor got his test results.....Histo!

I was in the hospital until September 27, 2006. During that time, I almost died at least 4 times -

they called the family in 4 times.......I had infection after infection and every medicine they tried

on me for the Histo did not work and they finally got one that did but I could not keep it down.

they finally gave me meds to calm my stomach and I finally got better. I was on a ventilator for

about 10 days. Anyway, after all that, my Doctor explained to me that the Illinois, Indiana, and

Ohio states were the most prominent to have this Histo. From the history of many patients, it

was discovered that we all have the germs in our lungs but our normal bodies fight it off without

a problem but those of us with comprimized immune systems just cannot fight it and the Remicade

had lowered mine more so that I had nothing to fight with. I know the sputum test is necessary

to determine this and I believe they did some special blood tests with it.......

Sorry this is so long........I am not good with explaining things............hope it helps.

Hugs,

Darlene

NS Co-Owner/Moderator

THIS IS AN EXTREMELY IMPORTANT ARTICLE!!! URGENT!!! PLEASE READ IMMEDIATELY! !! IT CAN BE A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH!!!

Ron

New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News more. Try it out!

Guest guest

Darlene, thanks for the explanation-- this does help, and you did great explaining it! It's appreciated by all of us.

Hugs,

Tracie

Ron

Guest guest

Ron, Thank you for sharing this information with the group, I will keep the symptoms in the back of my head, so to get on something fast if it happens, ( you maybe I should tattoo the to the back of my head)

I usually do call right away with anything, as I tend to get a lot of sinus infections. Hope you are doing good? I am hanging in there for right now, think of you often, so say a prayer for you when I do.

God Bless, Marla

THIS IS AN EXTREMELY IMPORTANT ARTICLE!!! URGENT!!! PLEASE READ IMMEDIATELY!!! IT CAN BE A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH!!!

Ron New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News more. Try it out!

-- Marla BramerIndependent Beauty Consultant Kay mbramer@...www.marykay.com/mbramer