longer treat me ethically because my progress was so slow and on the

other hand I no longer needed pool therapy with them, I could go to a

freezing regular pool.

What a mess because I was doing so well and I was begining to see the

improvement.

On one hand they told me I was well enough to do a wellnes progam

somewhere elso because my therapy was not showing much improvement

and on the other had they were telling me I no longer needed a

therapist becuse I was progressing well.

This is a hospital based physical therapy. On the other hand they

were telling me I did not need a therapist to direct my care im the

pool because I knew what to do.

Then in the next sentence they were telling me that I was not

progressing fast enough. I asked them what model of patient could

compare me with as there are not many people that need 25 total knee

operations.

My life has been so miseable since the N/S began

I need to vent but I think I will go to bed and try to ease my broken

heat.

Judy in PA

Guest guest

Judy,

I am sorry to hear your not happy. Keep a positive thought.

where have you been? glad finally hear from you

take care and many blessings and a pain free day

I have been going to pool therapy.I've decided thatI will never mention that I had MRSA again. At first I had to fight to have them discuss my case with the infectious disease department.Now after 5 weeks of my most productive theray, they decided that they could no longer keep me as a patient because they could no longer treat me ethically because my progress was so slow and on the other hand I no longer needed pool therapy with them, I could go to a freezing regular pool.What a mess because I was doing so well and I was begining to see the improvement. On one hand they told me I was well enough to do a wellnes progam somewhere elso because my therapy was not showing much improvement and on the other had they were telling me I no longer needed a therapist becuse I was progressing well. This is a hospital based physical therapy. On the other hand they were telling me I did not need a therapist to direct my care im the pool because I knew what to do.Then in the next sentence they were telling me that I was not progressing fast enough. I asked them what model of patient could compare me with as there are not many people that need 25 total knee operations.My life has been so miseable since the N/S beganI need to vent but I think I will go to bed and try to ease my broken heat.Judy in PA

Guest guest

Sounds like you have one person that is tactful, and one that cuts to the chase. Bugger.

First off, you no longer have MRSA -- correct?

If you are over the MRSA-- I'd definately leave it out of conversation, as it has nothing to do with what you are dealing with now. That infection is gone, done with-- history. There is so much fear around MRSA-- that it's ok to leave it out of conversation, except with your MD's. They need to know that it was in your HISTORY-- but hasn't been a problem for however long you've been free of it.

As for the physical therapy-- talk to them. Tell them you got 2 stories-- one that you weren't making enough progress, the other that you've progressed enough to persue your therapy at a local club, as you know the exercises to do.

If you are not comfortable with that change, and cannot find a club that has a therapeutic heated pool-- (one of 90 degrees or so) tell them. Tell your doc-- he is the one making this decision-- the physical therapists have to tell him what is going on-- but ultimately it's his call. He would be the one to write the new prescription.

As far as not progressing as quickly as they'd like-- I know Medicare and MediCaid are real sticklers on how much pt they will pay for. It will probably take a special letter from your doctor to explain why the NS is keeping you from progressing as quickly as most.

You aren't going to follow normal guidelines for treatment, and he needs to explain this to the pt and your insurance.

If that doesn't work, call your local Arthritis Foundation office (or a local rheumatologist) and ask if they know of any private pools that people allow for the use of rehab. Then keep your mouth shut about the MRSA-- you don't want to scare them away.

I don't say that to be rude, Judy. I just know first hand how hard it is to fight away the precieved demons -- that no longer exist-- but we have a tendency to say way too much. I've done it myself-- and closed doors that didn't need to be there.

Hang in there-- and it will come together, and once again-- you will be advocating for yourself. Call the doc, and get his support.

Take care,

Tracie

NS Co-owner/moderator

Bad Day in Bed Rock

I have been going to pool therapy.I've decided thatI will never mention that I had MRSA again. At first I had to fight to have them discuss my case with the infectious disease department.Now after 5 weeks of my most productive theray, they decided that they could no longer keep me as a patient because they could no longer treat me ethically because my progress was so slow and on the other hand I no longer needed pool therapy with them, I could go to a freezing regular pool.What a mess because I was doing so well and I was begining to see the improvement. On one hand they told me I was well enough to do a wellnes progam somewhere elso because my therapy was not showing much improvement and on the other had they were telling me I no longer needed a therapist becuse I was progressing well. This is a hospital based physical therapy. On the other hand they were telling me I

did not need a therapist to direct my care im the pool because I knew what to do.Then in the next sentence they were telling me that I was not progressing fast enough. I asked them what model of patient could compare me with as there are not many people that need 25 total knee operations.My life has been so miseable since the N/S beganI need to vent but I think I will go to bed and try to ease my broken heat.Judy in PA