RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Introduction

Rate this topic

Guest guest

See you guys.... I told you she was real. :)

Ron

----- Original Message ----- From: Robynn VanPatten

BERT!!

Excellent to hear from you, welcome aboard. I feel like I already know you through Ron...and I can see that you have his same sense of wit. It's fine to lurk...and you are doing marvelously well with your weight loss! I'm sure you'll have a lot to offer the newbies.

As for getting used to the way you look, and the size you are...it takes a while. But start telling yourself, "I'm a small person" or "I wear a medium" and just stop the years of self-talk about the Bartlett (although that was hilarious), about being "the big girl", the "fat girl" the "plus sized"...thinking of yourself differently...or just "faking it until you make it" helps.

Glad to hear your "voice"!!

Robynn

Guest guest

>

> Hello,

>

> I am the mother of a 7.5 year old son who has " issuse " . We do not have

> an official dx but depending on the day, he shows signs of: ADD,

> anxiety, Bipolar, ODD, and very high level autism. His behaviors have

> gotten to the point where I have been considering medication. But

> before I go to that extreme, I decided that trying this Pecan bread

> diet might be worth a try. The more I read the more I can see how he

> fits the profile. Reflux as an infant, chronic allergies (to

> everything), gas and constipation, chronic ear and sinus infections and

> antibiotics. I am going out to buy the book today. Just thought I would

> stop by and say " hi " .

>

> Thanks,

>

Welcome Old Mom,

I'll bet I am older than you! SCD has been helpful with the conditions you

mention. A one

month trial should insicate if it is helping.

Carol F.

SCD 6 years, celiac

Guest guest

Hi there,

Do you prefer to be called a or Bert?

Thanks for introducing yourself. Glad to meet you. I hope that this

group proves to be as wonderfully supportive for you as it has been for

me.

Even though you are only at your computer on the weekends, I do hope

that we hear more from you. Transitioning from weight loss to

maintenance is its own challenge. For me, maintenance has been a much

greater effort than the losing part of this journey.

I had to chuckle at that "train tracks" remark. I'd never heard

surgery described like that before. I also loved that description

"built like a Bartlet" - much more personality than saying "I'm

pear-shaped."

All the best,

Kay (in San Leandro)

Open RNY Dec. 1, 2003

Bert wrote:

Hi Group. My name is

a, Ron's sister. I'm glad to join. I will probably lurk mostly

and chine in occassionally. I am a weekend computer.

I was reading some posts

and made some notes. Here are my stats:

I first requested being

referred in February of last year; and the following week the girls at

work started a "Weight Watchers at Work" group and invited me along. I

hadn't gone to orientation or anyting, did I want to start losing

weight already? I figured I would start the group but just not try too

hard until it was time for me to really start. That time came soon

enough and I had already lost 14 lbs.! (My starting weight was 301;

I'm 5' 3"; build like a bartlet) By the time I went to orientation I

was 287. My goal weight was 257 and I reached that goal with the help

of WW July 13th. I weighed in to get my surgery date at 250; I was

promptly given August 31, 2005. My surgery took place in Richmond, CA;

performed by Dr. Fisher laparoscopically. He said "your surgery went

like train tracks" and the smile on his face told me that train

tracks are good. I had very little pain, was only in the hospital

until the following day after lunch, but stayed home from work until

the end of the six weeks. I thought I was ready to return at 3 wks.,

but the action of starting my solid food, my esophagus (which had a lg.

hernia fixed during my surgery) contracted so badly when I ate that I

had to lay down for 30 to 45 minutes after. It was nearly better by

the time I went back to work. It's all better now. I am weighing

about 155ish now and my goal is to be 145 to 150. I have looked at a

couple of charts and for my height and age (45) I should be around

141. I am a happy camper.

So before I shut

up...Robynn, thank you for asking about me. I feel WONDERFUL! I am

struggling with my "self image size" I have not got a grasp yet that I

don't even need to buy XL blouses (only a M), I'm moving quickly into a

size 12 pant. People that haven't seen me for some time are shocked.

That's kinda fun now, but I used to think "I couldn't look that

different!" But I DO!

, Keep Sipping!

You need all the water you can get in so you too don't get the dredded

constipation.

Sassy, congrats on your 13

lbs. keep up the good work.

, put your big girl

panties on. You're in for the ride of your life. Best wishes to you.

Ro"bert"a

Guest guest

Ro"bert"a Good to hear from you. Ron use to keep us up on how you were doing, now it's good to have your input. Take care. You're doing great. Donna J.Kay wrote: Hi there,Do you prefer to be called a or Bert?Thanks for introducing yourself. Glad to meet you. I hope that this group proves to be as wonderfully supportive for you as it has been for me. Even though you are only at your computer on the weekends, I do hope that we hear more from you. Transitioning from weight loss to maintenance is its own challenge. For me, maintenance has been a much greater effort than the losing part of this journey. I had to chuckle at that "train tracks" remark. I'd never heard surgery described like that before.

I also loved that description "built like a Bartlet" - much more personality than saying "I'm pear-shaped." All the best,Kay (in San Leandro)Open RNY Dec. 1, 2003Bert wrote: Hi Group. My name is a, Ron's sister. I'm glad to join. I will probably lurk mostly and chine in occassionally. I am a weekend computer. I was reading some posts and made some notes. Here are my stats: I first requested being referred in February of last year; and the following week the girls at work started a "Weight Watchers at Work" group and invited me along. I hadn't gone to orientation or

anyting, did I want to start losing weight already? I figured I would start the group but just not try too hard until it was time for me to really start. That time came soon enough and I had already lost 14 lbs.! (My starting weight was 301; I'm 5' 3"; build like a bartlet) By the time I went to orientation I was 287. My goal weight was 257 and I reached that goal with the help of WW July 13th. I weighed in to get my surgery date at 250; I was promptly given August 31, 2005. My surgery took place in Richmond, CA; performed by Dr. Fisher laparoscopically. He said "your surgery went like train tracks" and the smile on his face told me that train tracks are good. I had very little pain, was only in the hospital until the following day after lunch, but stayed home from work until the end of the six weeks. I thought I was ready to return at 3 wks., but the action of starting my solid food, my

esophagus (which had a lg. hernia fixed during my surgery) contracted so badly when I ate that I had to lay down for 30 to 45 minutes after. It was nearly better by the time I went back to work. It's all better now. I am weighing about 155ish now and my goal is to be 145 to 150. I have looked at a couple of charts and for my height and age (45) I should be around 141. I am a happy camper. So before I shut up...Robynn, thank you for asking about me. I feel WONDERFUL! I am struggling with my "self image size" I have not got a grasp yet that I don't even need to buy XL blouses (only a M), I'm moving quickly into a size 12 pant. People that haven't seen me for some time are shocked. That's kinda fun now, but I used to think "I couldn't look that different!" But I DO! , Keep Sipping! You need all the water you can get in so you too don't get the dredded constipation. Sassy, congrats on your 13 lbs. keep up the good work. , put your big girl panties on. You're in for the ride of your life. Best wishes to you. Ro"bert"aDonna JordonDSJordon@...

Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1ยข/min.

Guest guest

I'm glad I could give you a laugh. Just keep that jazz goin'. I too had a very hard time seeing myself where I am now. I still don't have the right body size in my brain. I forget that I am not that big girl any more. So now I look forward to getting that concept. It's hard for me to think that I weigh less than my ID says! At least I'm keeping the tradition going of lying on my ID. =0)

Re: Re: Introduction

a,

Big girl panties are precisely one of the many problems I'm trying to rectify!!LOLI just about wet them laughing. Cute. Sounds like you are having a great time. I'm so looking forward to that goal too. It is very hard at this point to even see myself there. It's been too many looong years. I have to say I haven't been this jazzed about anything in a very long time. Can't wait! Congrats on your success.pegmo1212 wrote:

Guest guest

Thanks for the good words Robynn. Actually, my self talk changed a long time ago. Dr. Phil actually helped me there. I have his book on CD and the part about self-talk was very beneficial to me. We don't realize how detrimental that can be until we start listening to it. You all hear that? Please listen to what you're saying to yourselves and stop the bad words! "You can do this and you're more worth it than you know" should be your new words. Say it out loud to yourself in the mirror or just in your head when you're shopping, say it! It will rock your world to love yourself, YOU ARE SO WORTH IT.

Re: Introduction

BERT!!

Excellent to hear from you, welcome aboard. I feel like I already know you through Ron...and I can see that you have his same sense of wit. It's fine to lurk...and you are doing marvelously well with your weight loss! I'm sure you'll have a lot to offer the newbies.

As for getting used to the way you look, and the size you are...it takes a while. But start telling yourself, "I'm a small person" or "I wear a medium" and just stop the years of self-talk about the Bartlett (although that was hilarious), about being "the big girl", the "fat girl" the "plus sized"...thinking of yourself differently...or just "faking it until you make it" helps.

Glad to hear your "voice"!!

Robynn

Guest guest

Thanks for the warm greeting, Kay. Bert is sufficient, less keys to press. =0) I really like the comrodery (I didn't make the spelling bee!) of a group and hope that I can spread the support too. I am nearly to Maintenance stage, less than 10 lbs. to get there now. I can't believe it, the time passed very quickly for me. As did the weight go missing. I won't be putting out an APB for it that's for sure! I am having trouble relating my inner self with my outter self. That will come, I know. I'm a bit embarassed at all the oohs and awes I get from those that never or rarely see me. They just shout it out, "you're so skinny now!" I guess that will last a while, until I finally see everyone I know....I doubt it. I just know too many people! It's ok, I just smile and say thanks. Although I guess I like the initial shock on the face as they realize this strange person that just walked right up and got in their space is someone that they know but don't recognize. I have almost had to say to two people, "it's me, Bert" just as the light shines and they come to recognize. It's just so different!!

Re: Introduction

Hi there,Do you prefer to be called a or Bert?Thanks for introducing yourself. Glad to meet you. I hope that this group proves to be as wonderfully supportive for you as it has been for me. Even though you are only at your computer on the weekends, I do hope that we hear more from you. Transitioning from weight loss to maintenance is its own challenge. For me, maintenance has been a much greater effort than the losing part of this journey. I had to chuckle at that "train tracks" remark. I'd never heard surgery described like that before. I also loved that description "built like a Bartlet" - much more personality than saying "I'm pear-shaped." All the best,Kay (in San Leandro)Open RNY Dec. 1, 2003

Guest guest

Bert -

Congratulations on keeping up a noble tradition.

I'm sure lots of us have had the experience of showing someone our

drivers' license and having them squint and frown as they try to see

the vague resemblance between the study in circles in their hands

and the much-slimmer person grinning evilly at them in person. But

since I shaved my head because of the chemotherapy-induced hair

loss, I REALLY look different from my DL photo, with a close-trimmed

goatee in place of the full beard to boot.

Time for me to waste a day at the DMV, methinks...

Randy

>

Guest guest

Hi Randy. It was great meeting you in SSF yesterday. I am so glad

you were there. You look great to me and I just hope you will

continue to participate in life as much as you can. With love, Lilka

> >

>

Guest guest

That's going to be a funny feeling for me, too. I've even begun to

wonder a bit if I might be subconsciously " holding back " on my weight

loss efforts right now because of fear of that exact thing - not being

recognized for who I am. I've been fat all my life, and I've lived in

this area my whole life, and I'm fairly young-looking for my age (just

turned 50!). It's not unusual for me to run into someone I haven't

seen in 20 or 30 years, or sometimes even longer, and have them

recognize me, because I still basically look the same as I did when I

was in high school. It just happened recently, in fact - I was in the

hot tub at the YMCA, when a woman across from me said, " Are you Cathy

? " Turned out we'd gone to high school together. I haven't seen

her in over 30 years, but she had no trouble recognizing me.

But if I lose a lot of weight, that recognition may not be there. I

know I'll still be the same person, but at some level I wonder if

other people will recognize me as the same person. I'm working on that

fear right now. I know those closest to me will see me changing, so

they won't have that problem. And I have to keep my mind focused on

the fact that I can't afford to stay the same. I *have to* change, I

*have to* become that new person.

As for the nutrition class, there's a short little meeting you do with

the nutritionist before you're referred. Then there's another

nutrition class that's part of orientation - a couple of hours. Then

there may be *more* nutrition classes later as part of one of the

Lifestyles series. . . nutrition is a huge component of this program

all along, so that sort of makes sense. You sound like you're on-track!

Cathy C.

-- In gastric-bypass-support-kaiser-patients ,

Rhinehart wrote:

>

> Bert,

> I can't imagine what it will be like to finally be there

physically and not believe what your eyes see. I feel there is a

smaller version of me in there wanting out. I was a thin and active

young person, so I have felt all along that the way I look now is not

the real me.

> Someone said something the other day, that they had recieved an

approval letter and had not gone to the nutrition class yet. I was

under the impression that all of that had to be done first and then

the pcp submitted to be approved. I just want to know that I am doing

all I can to expediate things.

> I also am looking forward to the day that I weigh less than what

my dl says. Someone at the s/g told me that she had to show her id

and the person said , " that's not you " She assured them that it was.

Funny the things that will happen when we finally come out of our

" shells " . Thanks,

Guest guest

Cathy, Just think of all the cool tricks you can play on those who don't recognize you. Put as positive a spin on it as you can. Anything is going to be better than this unhealthy way we've been living. My Motto is: Take every opportunity you can to make yourself and others laugh!! We *get *to change. We have a great oppotunity here to make our lives into something we have just dreamed of over the years. I am praying that I will live up to that opportunity I have been blessed to get. At least I hope I get it. I have yet to be approved. I hope I'm not rambling or not making sense. Did you mean that after this appt that is called G/B Overview, I will get referred by my Doc to the program, receive my approval and then orientation starts. Where did you have you surgery, or

have you yet? Is it up to Kaiser where you get to go? I just want time to go faster. My overview class isn't until May 10. Uggh! That's going to be a funny feeling for me, too. I've even begun towonder a bit if I might be subconsciously "holding back" on my weightloss efforts right now because of fear of that exact thing - not beingrecognized for who I am. I've been fat all my life, and I've lived inthis area my whole life, and I'm fairly young-looking for my age (justturned 50!). It's not unusual for me to run into someone I haven'tseen in 20 or 30 years, or sometimes even longer, and have themrecognize me, because I still basically look the same as I did when Iwas in high school. It just happened recently, in fact - I was in thehot tub at the

YMCA, when a woman across from me said, "Are you Cathy?" Turned out we'd gone to high school together. I haven't seenher in over 30 years, but she had no trouble recognizing me. But if I lose a lot of weight, that recognition may not be there. Iknow I'll still be the same person, but at some level I wonder ifother people will recognize me as the same person. I'm working on thatfear right now. I know those closest to me will see me changing, sothey won't have that problem. And I have to keep my mind focused onthe fact that I can't afford to stay the same. I *have to* change, I*have to* become that new person. As for the nutrition class, there's a short little meeting you do withthe nutritionist before you're referred. Then there's anothernutrition class that's part of orientation - a couple of hours. Thenthere may be *more* nutrition classes later as part of one of theLifestyles

series. . . nutrition is a huge component of this programall along, so that sort of makes sense. You sound like you're on-track!Cathy C.-- In gastric-bypass-support-kaiser-patients , Rhinehart wrote:>> Bert,> I can't imagine what it will be like to finally be therephysically and not believe what your eyes see. I feel there is asmaller version of me in there wanting out. I was a thin and activeyoung person, so I have felt all along that the way I look now is notthe real me. > Someone said something the other day, that they had recieved anapproval letter and had not gone to the nutrition class yet. I wasunder the impression that all of that had to be done first and thenthe pcp submitted to be approved. I just want to know that I am doingall I can to expediate things.

> I also am looking forward to the day that I weigh less than whatmy dl says. Someone at the s/g told me that she had to show her idand the person said ,"that's not you" She assured them that it was. Funny the things that will happen when we finally come out of our"shells". Thanks,

Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2ยข/min or less.

Guest guest

Cathy I'm 50 years young now. I feel better than I have since I was 30. I did run into a lady I did daycare for at the store the other day who I hadn't seen in 5 years, and I watched her daughter for 5 years. I said Hi Vivian as we were walking by each other, she looked, then looked some more and said if I didn't know your voice I would of never knew it was you. It is different but once you get use to it, it also makes you feel good. It does take your mind a while to get use to all the changes. Took me a year to know the new me and not see the old me. Take care. Donna J.Cathy wrote: That's going to be a funny feeling for me, too. I've even begun towonder a bit if I might be subconsciously "holding back" on my weightloss efforts right now

because of fear of that exact thing - not beingrecognized for who I am. I've been fat all my life, and I've lived inthis area my whole life, and I'm fairly young-looking for my age (justturned 50!). It's not unusual for me to run into someone I haven'tseen in 20 or 30 years, or sometimes even longer, and have themrecognize me, because I still basically look the same as I did when Iwas in high school. It just happened recently, in fact - I was in thehot tub at the YMCA, when a woman across from me said, "Are you Cathy?" Turned out we'd gone to high school together. I haven't seenher in over 30 years, but she had no trouble recognizing me. But if I lose a lot of weight, that recognition may not be there. Iknow I'll still be the same person, but at some level I wonder ifother people will recognize me as the same person. I'm working on thatfear right now. I know those closest to me will see me

changing, sothey won't have that problem. And I have to keep my mind focused onthe fact that I can't afford to stay the same. I *have to* change, I*have to* become that new person. As for the nutrition class, there's a short little meeting you do withthe nutritionist before you're referred. Then there's anothernutrition class that's part of orientation - a couple of hours. Thenthere may be *more* nutrition classes later as part of one of theLifestyles series. . . nutrition is a huge component of this programall along, so that sort of makes sense. You sound like you're on-track!Cathy C.-- In gastric-bypass-support-kaiser-patients , Rhinehart wrote:>> Bert,> I can't imagine what it will be like to finally be therephysically and not believe what your eyes see. I feel there is asmaller version of me in

there wanting out. I was a thin and activeyoung person, so I have felt all along that the way I look now is notthe real me. > Someone said something the other day, that they had recieved anapproval letter and had not gone to the nutrition class yet. I wasunder the impression that all of that had to be done first and thenthe pcp submitted to be approved. I just want to know that I am doingall I can to expediate things. > I also am looking forward to the day that I weigh less than whatmy dl says. Someone at the s/g told me that she had to show her idand the person said ,"that's not you" She assured them that it was. Funny the things that will happen when we finally come out of our"shells". Thanks, Donna JordonDSJordon@...

New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC and save big.

Guest guest

Yes, after the G/B Overview and maybe a short psych appt your PCP can

write the referral to the program. Then you wait (seems like forever!)

until they respond and let you know you've been accepted. I was

referred in late August, got my acceptance letter Nov. 18, had

orientation Feb. 7, and now I'm trying to lose my 10%. They'll assign

you to one of the WLS centers. If you go to Santa Clara or anywhere on

the Peninsula, you'll probably be in SSF; Santa or the East Bay

ususally go to Fremont; Alameda County/Sacramento/Wine Country seem to

mostly be at Richmond. . . but it varies.

Cathy

>

> Cathy,

> Just think of all the cool tricks you can play on those who don't

recognize you. Put as positive a spin on it as you can. Anything is

going to be better than this unhealthy way we've been living. My Motto

is: Take every opportunity you can to make yourself and others

laugh!! We *get *to change. We have a great oppotunity here to make

our lives into something we have just dreamed of over the years. I am

praying that I will live up to that opportunity I have been blessed to

get. At least I hope I get it. I have yet to be approved. I hope I'm

not rambling or not making sense. Did you mean that after this appt