RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: peanut bans in schools

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Our pre-school is exactly the same. They especially supported going peanut-free because peanut butter is considered a choking hazard either up to or through the age of 3 (per the Amer.Acdmy.of Peds.). 2 birds, 1 stone!

My son's preschool is "Nut Free" even though currently no one in the school has a nut allergy. Since every year's enrollment is different the school thought it would be best to be consistant with this policy. Additionally, the school and parents are very supportive and accommodating to children who have other food allergies. All the children arrive to school and immediately wash their hands before playing, etc..... to avoid cross contamination. The hand washing routine in school is fantastic and has helped develop my children's hand washing habits and routine. This school is wonderful! There is a nice blend of responsibility, effort and communication with the teachers & parents to help keep all the children healthy & happy. >> As a parent of a child with airborne peanut reactions and anaphylactic> reactions with any contact to peanuts.... no I don't expect the entire> classroom or the school to be "responsible" for my daughters allergy but I> do expect them to take reasonable steps to protect my child from dying,> which is what the reaction could easily be with her level of allergy. This> was especially true when she was in elementary school. As a young child she> didn't have the skills enough to recognize situations where she was at risk> so at that age, yes I expected the school to take steps to keep her safe.> > I'm very happy to report back then the principal of her school agreed with> me and asked the parents in her classroom to voluntarily not send their> kids with peanut products. Every single parent complied with this request,> every single year. The parents had my phone number and would call me about> products they had at home. It worked out wonderfully for us. Were mistakes> made (like with power/snack bars)? Maybe so but I'm not aware of any, every> single parent was so nice about it, my daughter became everyone's child and> on field trips and such..... all the parents were constantly monitoring food> and snacks around her (I did go on every field trip).> > They decided not to ban peanuts in the entire school but gave my daughter a> separate lounge to eat her lunch in (she could pick 5 friends a day to eat> there with her). Again the precautions that everyone took for us really> worked... she was in that school for 5 years (to 4th grade) and only had 2> reactions. Then she went to another school where they didn't take the issue> as seriously and she would have to come home or go to the hospital 3 times a> week, her grades suffered, her confidence suffered and she got behind.> > Now she is in 8th grade and she has only had a few reactions this year, the> only precaution she has is a peanut free lunch table but, the difference is> that she can now read labels, she is old enough and mature enough to take> care of her allergy. The other saving grace is that in Middle school very> few kids eat PB & J its just not "cool".> > So you know what... it really does take a village to keep our kids happy and> healthy and I guess I've convinced myself that I do expect help and> understanding from others... I'd certainly do it for their kids (in my> daughters school there is a child with latex allergy so severe that the> entire school does not have ANY latex in it and I'm happy to abide by that> rule).> > You mentioned that your child has asthma and celiac, those are very> different then an anaphylactic airborne peanut allergy, I know about them> first hand too, my peanut girl has both!> > > > > Are 50 parents (one classroom) responsible for the safety of someone> > else's child?> >> > Are 500 parents (entire school) responsible for the safety of someone> > else's child?> > > As the parent of a child with not only celiac but also a complicated> > list of allergies and intolerances, I do not expect other parents to> > be responsible for my child's safety. To date, he has not had any> > analphylactic reactions, but I have already been warned by the> > allergist he is at risk for them, and he does have major asthma> > attacks from certain allergens. Dogs are a major trigger for his> > asthma *and people can die from asthma in a very few minutes* *, can I> > ban dogs in all public places because of one person's needs? He also> > reacts to "secondhand dog" on other people's clothes, can I insist> > every child in class live in a dog-free home? No, neither of those is> > reasonable.>

Guest guest

Our pre-school is exactly the same. They especially supported going peanut-free because peanut butter is considered a choking hazard either up to or through the age of 3 (per the Amer.Acdmy.of Peds.). 2 birds, 1 stone!

My son's preschool is "Nut Free" even though currently no one in the school has a nut allergy. Since every year's enrollment is different the school thought it would be best to be consistant with this policy. Additionally, the school and parents are very supportive and accommodating to children who have other food allergies. All the children arrive to school and immediately wash their hands before playing, etc..... to avoid cross contamination. The hand washing routine in school is fantastic and has helped develop my children's hand washing habits and routine. This school is wonderful! There is a nice blend of responsibility, effort and communication with the teachers & parents to help keep all the children healthy & happy. >> As a parent of a child with airborne peanut reactions and anaphylactic> reactions with any contact to peanuts.... no I don't expect the entire> classroom or the school to be "responsible" for my daughters allergy but I> do expect them to take reasonable steps to protect my child from dying,> which is what the reaction could easily be with her level of allergy. This> was especially true when she was in elementary school. As a young child she> didn't have the skills enough to recognize situations where she was at risk> so at that age, yes I expected the school to take steps to keep her safe.> > I'm very happy to report back then the principal of her school agreed with> me and asked the parents in her classroom to voluntarily not send their> kids with peanut products. Every single parent complied with this request,> every single year. The parents had my phone number and would call me about> products they had at home. It worked out wonderfully for us. Were mistakes> made (like with power/snack bars)? Maybe so but I'm not aware of any, every> single parent was so nice about it, my daughter became everyone's child and> on field trips and such..... all the parents were constantly monitoring food> and snacks around her (I did go on every field trip).> > They decided not to ban peanuts in the entire school but gave my daughter a> separate lounge to eat her lunch in (she could pick 5 friends a day to eat> there with her). Again the precautions that everyone took for us really> worked... she was in that school for 5 years (to 4th grade) and only had 2> reactions. Then she went to another school where they didn't take the issue> as seriously and she would have to come home or go to the hospital 3 times a> week, her grades suffered, her confidence suffered and she got behind.> > Now she is in 8th grade and she has only had a few reactions this year, the> only precaution she has is a peanut free lunch table but, the difference is> that she can now read labels, she is old enough and mature enough to take> care of her allergy. The other saving grace is that in Middle school very> few kids eat PB & J its just not "cool".> > So you know what... it really does take a village to keep our kids happy and> healthy and I guess I've convinced myself that I do expect help and> understanding from others... I'd certainly do it for their kids (in my> daughters school there is a child with latex allergy so severe that the> entire school does not have ANY latex in it and I'm happy to abide by that> rule).> > You mentioned that your child has asthma and celiac, those are very> different then an anaphylactic airborne peanut allergy, I know about them> first hand too, my peanut girl has both!> > > > > Are 50 parents (one classroom) responsible for the safety of someone> > else's child?> >> > Are 500 parents (entire school) responsible for the safety of someone> > else's child?> > > As the parent of a child with not only celiac but also a complicated> > list of allergies and intolerances, I do not expect other parents to> > be responsible for my child's safety. To date, he has not had any> > analphylactic reactions, but I have already been warned by the> > allergist he is at risk for them, and he does have major asthma> > attacks from certain allergens. Dogs are a major trigger for his> > asthma *and people can die from asthma in a very few minutes* *, can I> > ban dogs in all public places because of one person's needs? He also> > reacts to "secondhand dog" on other people's clothes, can I insist> > every child in class live in a dog-free home? No, neither of those is> > reasonable.>

Guest guest

Guest guest

It is actually reccomended not to introduce peanuts/peanut butter

until after the age of 3. This has to do with the allergy aspect,

as well as the choking hazard.

The young body can not handle the protein found in peanuts all that

well. Researcher have thought this to be one reason for the

increase of peanut allergies in children. Since the body can't

handle the protein, it recognizes it as foreign and produces

antibodies against the protein. These antibodies are what cause the

allergic reaction. After the age of 3 the immune system has matured

more and can handle these new proteins better. However, this is not

to say that a child definitely will not develop an allergy to

peanuts, but it can lessen the chances.

As a society, we have been introducing peanuts/peanut butter into

the diet at an earlier age than we have in the past. Please use

caution when you introduce peanuts into your child's diet. If food

allergies run in your family, try to hold off on introducing peanuts

until after the age of 3.

Also, take note that the first time a child has an allergic

response, it is not normally the first time they have been exposed

to the allergen.

>

> Our pre-school is exactly the same. They especially supported

going peanut-free because peanut butter is considered a choking

hazard either up to or through the age of 3 (per the Amer.Acdmy.of

Peds.). 2 birds, 1 stone!

> Re: peanut bans in schools

>

>

> My son's preschool is " Nut Free " even though currently no one in

the

> school has a nut allergy. Since every year's enrollment is

different

> the school thought it would be best to be consistant with this

> policy. Additionally, the school and parents are very

supportive and

> accommodating to children who have other food allergies.

>

> All the children arrive to school and immediately wash their

hands

> before playing, etc..... to avoid cross contamination. The hand

> washing routine in school is fantastic and has helped develop my

> children's hand washing habits and routine.

>

> This school is wonderful! There is a nice blend of

responsibility,

> effort and communication with the teachers & parents to help

keep all

> the children healthy & happy.

>

>

Guest guest

to the allergen.

>

>

>

the

different

supportive and

>

hands

>

responsibility,

keep all

>

>

Guest guest

to the allergen.

>

>

>

the

different

supportive and

>

hands

>

responsibility,

keep all

>

>

Guest guest

I have watched this thread and feel compelled to put my two cents

in. I know it'll probably result in curses and flames - but

everyone is entitled to their opinion (at least I hope we all feel

that way).

The whole peanut ban in schools really bugs me. It bugs me because

it further limits that which I can send to school with my celiac son

for lunch. And yes - I did just label him so that everyone

understands I'm talking about a son on a restricted diet. :-) As if

I don't have enough challenges already. GF bread is dry and hard and

goes stale quickly - PB & J or PB & Fluff are two things you can make

a sandwich out of that my son 1.) actually likes and 2.) isn't so

bad on GF bread because it adds moisture. So, because PB is banned,

most days my son takes a microwaveable meal and heats it up. Him

having to microwave his lunch takes time away from his already too-

short lunchtime of 20 mins and often he complains about not having

enough time to eat. The school's response is " he can stay in during

his recess " but c'mon - do you know a 2nd grade boy who would ever

pass up recess to eat!!! Give me a break!

The second thing that really bugs me about the peanut-free thing is

that I am not afforded the same care for my son who can't have

wheat, barley, rye or oats. How about all those crumbs at the lunch

table from the other kids eating their sandwiches??? How about the

countless birthday parties where some Mother, unannounced, brings in

CUPCAKES even though the teacher has repeatedly said to give her

advanced notice so that I can have a cupcake there for my son? I'm

expected to bend over backwards for those with peanut allergies, but

no one gives a hoot about my son who can't have gluten. It just

doesn't seem fair to me - and that really bugs me.

Now to those who are going to respond with the " anaphalactic

reaction with immediate death difference " argument. Please don't.

I have already read those posts and I personally disagree. I

watched my mother die at age 52 after 20 years of slow death because

of exposure to gluten which resulted in her having myesthenia

gravis - common in those with celiac. It's a horrible disease to

live with - I know. This is what I'm trying to prevent in my child -

so death quickly verses death slowly is equal in my mind.

I obey the " no peanut " rule. I just don't like it and I don't think

it's fair. But - hey - who ever said life was fair?

Again - please don't flame me - I'm just expressing my opinion on

this subject.

Cathy

> >

> > As a parent of a child with airborne peanut reactions and

> anaphylactic

> > reactions with any contact to peanuts.... no I don't expect the

> entire

> > classroom or the school to be " responsible " for my daughters

> allergy but I

> > do expect them to take reasonable steps to protect my child from

> dying,

> > which is what the reaction could easily be with her level of

> allergy. This

> > was especially true when she was in elementary school. As a

young

> child she

> > didn't have the skills enough to recognize situations where she

was

> at risk

> > so at that age, yes I expected the school to take steps to keep

her

> safe.

> >

> > I'm very happy to report back then the principal of her school

> agreed with

> > me and asked the parents in her classroom to voluntarily not

send

> their

> > kids with peanut products. Every single parent complied with

this

> request,

> > every single year. The parents had my phone number and would

call

> me about

> > products they had at home. It worked out wonderfully for us.

Were

> mistakes

> > made (like with power/snack bars)? Maybe so but I'm not aware

of

> any, every

> > single parent was so nice about it, my daughter became

everyone's

> child and

> > on field trips and such..... all the parents were constantly

> monitoring food

> > and snacks around her (I did go on every field trip).

> >

> > They decided not to ban peanuts in the entire school but gave my

> daughter a

> > separate lounge to eat her lunch in (she could pick 5 friends a

day

> to eat

> > there with her). Again the precautions that everyone took for

us

> really

> > worked... she was in that school for 5 years (to 4th grade) and

> only had 2

> > reactions. Then she went to another school where they didn't

take

> the issue

> > as seriously and she would have to come home or go to the

hospital

> 3 times a

> > week, her grades suffered, her confidence suffered and she got

> behind.

> >

> > Now she is in 8th grade and she has only had a few reactions

this

> year, the

> > only precaution she has is a peanut free lunch table but, the

> difference is

> > that she can now read labels, she is old enough and mature

enough

> to take

> > care of her allergy. The other saving grace is that in Middle

> school very

> > few kids eat PB & J its just not " cool " .

> >

> > So you know what... it really does take a village to keep our

kids

> happy and

> > healthy and I guess I've convinced myself that I do expect help

and

> > understanding from others... I'd certainly do it for their kids

(in

> my

> > daughters school there is a child with latex allergy so severe

that

> the

> > entire school does not have ANY latex in it and I'm happy to

abide

> by that

> > rule).

> >

> > You mentioned that your child has asthma and celiac, those are

very

> > different then an anaphylactic airborne peanut allergy, I know

> about them

> > first hand too, my peanut girl has both!

> >

> >

> >

> > > Are 50 parents (one classroom) responsible for the safety of

> someone

> > > else's child?

> > >

> > > Are 500 parents (entire school) responsible for the safety of

> someone

> > > else's child?

> >

> > > As the parent of a child with not only celiac but also a

> complicated

> > > list of allergies and intolerances, I do not expect other

parents

> to

> > > be responsible for my child's safety. To date, he has not had

any

> > > analphylactic reactions, but I have already been warned by the

> > > allergist he is at risk for them, and he does have major asthma

> > > attacks from certain allergens. Dogs are a major trigger for

his

> > > asthma *and people can die from asthma in a very few minutes*

> can I

> > > ban dogs in all public places because of one person's needs?

He

> also

> > > reacts to " secondhand dog " on other people's clothes, can I

insist

> > > every child in class live in a dog-free home? No, neither of

> those is

> > > reasonable.

> >

>

Guest guest

that way).

this subject.

Cathy

> >

> anaphylactic

> entire

> allergy but I

> dying,

> allergy. This

young

> child she

was

> at risk

her

> safe.

> >

> agreed with

send

> their

this

> request,

call

> me about

Were

> mistakes

of

> any, every

everyone's

> child and

> monitoring food

> >

> daughter a

day

> to eat

us

> really

> only had 2

take

> the issue

hospital

> 3 times a

> behind.

> >

this

> year, the

> difference is

enough

> to take

> school very

> >

kids

> happy and

and

(in

> my

that

> the

abide

> by that

> > rule).

> >

very

> about them

> >

> >

> >

> someone

> > > else's child?

> > >

> someone

> > > else's child?

> >

> complicated

parents

> to

any

his

> can I

He

> also

insist

> those is

> > > reasonable.

> >

>

Guest guest

that way).

this subject.

Cathy

> >

> anaphylactic

> entire

> allergy but I

> dying,

> allergy. This

young

> child she

was

> at risk

her

> safe.

> >

> agreed with

send

> their

this

> request,

call

> me about

Were

> mistakes

of

> any, every

everyone's

> child and

> monitoring food

> >

> daughter a

day

> to eat

us

> really

> only had 2

take

> the issue

hospital

> 3 times a

> behind.

> >

this

> year, the

> difference is

enough

> to take

> school very

> >

kids

> happy and

and

(in

> my

that

> the

abide

> by that

> > rule).

> >

very

> about them

> >

> >

> >

> someone

> > > else's child?

> > >

> someone

> > > else's child?

> >

> complicated

parents

> to

any

his

> can I

He

> also

insist

> those is

> > > reasonable.

> >

>

Guest guest

It would be nice if we could all express our opinions with out

getting personally attacked! I have read some very good, valid

arguements on both sides of this issue!

>

> I have watched this thread and feel compelled to put my two cents

> in. I know it'll probably result in curses and flames - but

> everyone is entitled to their opinion (at least I hope we all feel

> that way).

>

> The whole peanut ban in schools really bugs me. It bugs me because

> it further limits that which I can send to school with my celiac

son

> for lunch. And yes - I did just label him so that everyone

> understands I'm talking about a son on a restricted diet. :-) As

if

> I don't have enough challenges already. GF bread is dry and hard

and

> goes stale quickly - PB & J or PB & Fluff are two things you can make

> a sandwich out of that my son 1.) actually likes and 2.) isn't so

> bad on GF bread because it adds moisture. So, because PB is

banned,

> most days my son takes a microwaveable meal and heats it up. Him

> having to microwave his lunch takes time away from his already too-

> short lunchtime of 20 mins and often he complains about not having

> enough time to eat. The school's response is " he can stay in

during

> his recess " but c'mon - do you know a 2nd grade boy who would ever

> pass up recess to eat!!! Give me a break!

>

> The second thing that really bugs me about the peanut-free thing is

> that I am not afforded the same care for my son who can't have

> wheat, barley, rye or oats. How about all those crumbs at the

lunch

> table from the other kids eating their sandwiches??? How about the

> countless birthday parties where some Mother, unannounced, brings

in

> CUPCAKES even though the teacher has repeatedly said to give her

> advanced notice so that I can have a cupcake there for my son? I'm

> expected to bend over backwards for those with peanut allergies,

but

> no one gives a hoot about my son who can't have gluten. It just

> doesn't seem fair to me - and that really bugs me.

>

> Now to those who are going to respond with the " anaphalactic

> reaction with immediate death difference " argument. Please don't.

> I have already read those posts and I personally disagree. I

> watched my mother die at age 52 after 20 years of slow death

because

> of exposure to gluten which resulted in her having myesthenia

> gravis - common in those with celiac. It's a horrible disease to

> live with - I know. This is what I'm trying to prevent in my

child -

> so death quickly verses death slowly is equal in my mind.

>

> I obey the " no peanut " rule. I just don't like it and I don't

think

> it's fair. But - hey - who ever said life was fair?

>

> Again - please don't flame me - I'm just expressing my opinion on

> this subject.

>

> Cathy

Guest guest

It would be nice if we could all express our opinions with out

getting personally attacked! I have read some very good, valid

arguements on both sides of this issue!

>

> I have watched this thread and feel compelled to put my two cents

> in. I know it'll probably result in curses and flames - but

> everyone is entitled to their opinion (at least I hope we all feel

> that way).

>

> The whole peanut ban in schools really bugs me. It bugs me because

> it further limits that which I can send to school with my celiac

son

> for lunch. And yes - I did just label him so that everyone

> understands I'm talking about a son on a restricted diet. :-) As

if

> I don't have enough challenges already. GF bread is dry and hard

and

> goes stale quickly - PB & J or PB & Fluff are two things you can make

> a sandwich out of that my son 1.) actually likes and 2.) isn't so

> bad on GF bread because it adds moisture. So, because PB is

banned,

> most days my son takes a microwaveable meal and heats it up. Him

> having to microwave his lunch takes time away from his already too-

> short lunchtime of 20 mins and often he complains about not having

> enough time to eat. The school's response is " he can stay in

during

> his recess " but c'mon - do you know a 2nd grade boy who would ever

> pass up recess to eat!!! Give me a break!

>

> The second thing that really bugs me about the peanut-free thing is

> that I am not afforded the same care for my son who can't have

> wheat, barley, rye or oats. How about all those crumbs at the

lunch

> table from the other kids eating their sandwiches??? How about the

> countless birthday parties where some Mother, unannounced, brings

in

> CUPCAKES even though the teacher has repeatedly said to give her

> advanced notice so that I can have a cupcake there for my son? I'm

> expected to bend over backwards for those with peanut allergies,

but

> no one gives a hoot about my son who can't have gluten. It just

> doesn't seem fair to me - and that really bugs me.

>

> Now to those who are going to respond with the " anaphalactic

> reaction with immediate death difference " argument. Please don't.

> I have already read those posts and I personally disagree. I

> watched my mother die at age 52 after 20 years of slow death

because

> of exposure to gluten which resulted in her having myesthenia

> gravis - common in those with celiac. It's a horrible disease to

> live with - I know. This is what I'm trying to prevent in my

child -

> so death quickly verses death slowly is equal in my mind.

>

> I obey the " no peanut " rule. I just don't like it and I don't

think

> it's fair. But - hey - who ever said life was fair?

>

> Again - please don't flame me - I'm just expressing my opinion on

> this subject.

>

> Cathy

Guest guest

The attitude of " well, if they won't take precautions for me then I

won't take precautions for them either " doesn't help anyone.

Understanding, support, and consideration for others has to start

somewhere. If you haven't encountered it yourself, then maybe it's

time to start a new trend...it has to start somewhere.

C

> > >

> > > As a parent of a child with airborne peanut reactions and

> > anaphylactic

> > > reactions with any contact to peanuts.... no I don't expect

the

> > entire

> > > classroom or the school to be " responsible " for my daughters

> > allergy but I

> > > do expect them to take reasonable steps to protect my child

from

> > dying,

> > > which is what the reaction could easily be with her level of

> > allergy. This

> > > was especially true when she was in elementary school. As a

> young

> > child she

> > > didn't have the skills enough to recognize situations where

she

> was

> > at risk

> > > so at that age, yes I expected the school to take steps to

keep

> her

> > safe.

> > >

> > > I'm very happy to report back then the principal of her school

> > agreed with

> > > me and asked the parents in her classroom to voluntarily not

> send

> > their

> > > kids with peanut products. Every single parent complied with

> this

> > request,

> > > every single year. The parents had my phone number and would

> call

> > me about

> > > products they had at home. It worked out wonderfully for us.

> Were

> > mistakes

> > > made (like with power/snack bars)? Maybe so but I'm not aware

> of

> > any, every

> > > single parent was so nice about it, my daughter became

> everyone's

> > child and

> > > on field trips and such..... all the parents were constantly

> > monitoring food

> > > and snacks around her (I did go on every field trip).

> > >

> > > They decided not to ban peanuts in the entire school but gave

my

> > daughter a

> > > separate lounge to eat her lunch in (she could pick 5 friends

a

> day

> > to eat

> > > there with her). Again the precautions that everyone took for

> us

> > really

> > > worked... she was in that school for 5 years (to 4th grade)

and

> > only had 2

> > > reactions. Then she went to another school where they didn't

> take

> > the issue

> > > as seriously and she would have to come home or go to the

> hospital

> > 3 times a

> > > week, her grades suffered, her confidence suffered and she got

> > behind.

> > >

> > > Now she is in 8th grade and she has only had a few reactions

> this

> > year, the

> > > only precaution she has is a peanut free lunch table but, the

> > difference is

> > > that she can now read labels, she is old enough and mature

> enough

> > to take

> > > care of her allergy. The other saving grace is that in Middle

> > school very

> > > few kids eat PB & J its just not " cool " .

> > >

> > > So you know what... it really does take a village to keep our

> kids

> > happy and

> > > healthy and I guess I've convinced myself that I do expect

help

> and

> > > understanding from others... I'd certainly do it for their

kids

> (in

> > my

> > > daughters school there is a child with latex allergy so severe

> that

> > the

> > > entire school does not have ANY latex in it and I'm happy to

> abide

> > by that

> > > rule).

> > >

> > > You mentioned that your child has asthma and celiac, those are

> very

> > > different then an anaphylactic airborne peanut allergy, I know

> > about them

> > > first hand too, my peanut girl has both!

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > > Are 50 parents (one classroom) responsible for the safety of

> > someone

> > > > else's child?

> > > >

> > > > Are 500 parents (entire school) responsible for the safety

of

> > someone

> > > > else's child?

> > >

> > > > As the parent of a child with not only celiac but also a

> > complicated

> > > > list of allergies and intolerances, I do not expect other

> parents

> > to

> > > > be responsible for my child's safety. To date, he has not

had

> any

> > > > analphylactic reactions, but I have already been warned by

the

> > > > allergist he is at risk for them, and he does have major

asthma

> > > > attacks from certain allergens. Dogs are a major trigger for

> his

> > > > asthma *and people can die from asthma in a very few

minutes*

> *,

> > can I

> > > > ban dogs in all public places because of one person's needs?

> He

> > also

> > > > reacts to " secondhand dog " on other people's clothes, can I

> insist

> > > > every child in class live in a dog-free home? No, neither of

> > those is

> > > > reasonable.

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

C

> > >

> > anaphylactic

the

> > entire

> > allergy but I

from

> > dying,

> > allergy. This

> young

> > child she

she

> was

> > at risk

keep

> her

> > safe.

> > >

> > agreed with

> send

> > their

> this

> > request,

> call

> > me about

> Were

> > mistakes

> of

> > any, every

> everyone's

> > child and

> > monitoring food

> > >

my

> > daughter a

a

> day

> > to eat

> us

> > really

and

> > only had 2

> take

> > the issue

> hospital

> > 3 times a

> > behind.

> > >

> this

> > year, the

> > difference is

> enough

> > to take

> > school very

> > >

> kids

> > happy and

help

> and

kids

> (in

> > my

> that

> > the

> abide

> > by that

> > > rule).

> > >

> very

> > about them

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > someone

> > > > else's child?

> > > >

of

> > someone

> > > > else's child?

> > >

> > complicated

> parents

> > to

had

> any

the

asthma

> his

minutes*

> *,

> > can I

> He

> > also

> insist

> > those is

> > > > reasonable.

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

C

> > >

> > anaphylactic

the

> > entire

> > allergy but I

from

> > dying,

> > allergy. This

> young

> > child she

she

> was

> > at risk

keep

> her

> > safe.

> > >

> > agreed with

> send

> > their

> this

> > request,

> call

> > me about

> Were

> > mistakes

> of

> > any, every

> everyone's

> > child and

> > monitoring food

> > >

my

> > daughter a

a

> day

> > to eat

> us

> > really

and

> > only had 2

> take

> > the issue

> hospital

> > 3 times a

> > behind.

> > >

> this

> > year, the

> > difference is

> enough

> > to take

> > school very

> > >

> kids

> > happy and

help

> and

kids

> (in

> > my

> that

> > the

> abide

> > by that

> > > rule).

> > >

> very

> > about them

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > someone

> > > > else's child?

> > > >

of

> > someone

> > > > else's child?

> > >

> > complicated

> parents

> > to

had

> any

the

asthma

> his

minutes*

> *,

> > can I

> He

> > also

> insist

> > those is

> > > > reasonable.

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

No Flames from me Cathy! No tongue lashings or personal attacks

either! I recently posted views that differ from the majority of the

people in this group and basically had the s* & ^ kicked out of

me........I respectfully hear your views (even though they differ

from mine) and enjoy hearing your opinion. Thank you!

Good luck! :)

> > >

> > anaphylactic

> > > reactions with any contact to peanuts.... no I don't expect the

> > entire

> > allergy but I

from

> > dying,

> > allergy. This

> young

> > child she

> > > didn't have the skills enough to recognize situations where she

> was

> > at risk

> > > so at that age, yes I expected the school to take steps to keep

> her

> > safe.

> > >

> > agreed with

> send

> > their

> this

> > request,

> call

> > me about

> Were

> > mistakes

> of

> > any, every

> everyone's

> > child and

> > monitoring food

> > >

my

> > daughter a

> > > separate lounge to eat her lunch in (she could pick 5 friends a

> day

> > to eat

> us

> > really

> > > worked... she was in that school for 5 years (to 4th grade) and

> > only had 2

> take

> > the issue

> hospital

> > 3 times a

> > behind.

> > >

> this

> > year, the

> > difference is

> enough

> > to take

> > school very

> > >

> kids

> > happy and

> > > healthy and I guess I've convinced myself that I do expect help

> and

> > > understanding from others... I'd certainly do it for their kids

> (in

> > my

> that

> > the

> abide

> > by that

> > > rule).

> > >

> very

> > about them

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > someone

> > > > else's child?

> > > >

> > > > Are 500 parents (entire school) responsible for the safety of

> > someone

> > > > else's child?

> > >

> > complicated

> parents

> > to

> > > > be responsible for my child's safety. To date, he has not had

> any

> > > > analphylactic reactions, but I have already been warned by the

asthma

> his

> > > > asthma *and people can die from asthma in a very few minutes*

> *,

> > can I

> He

> > also

> insist

> > those is

> > > > reasonable.

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

> > >

> > anaphylactic

> > entire

> > allergy but I

from

> > dying,

> > allergy. This

> young

> > child she

> was

> > at risk

> her

> > safe.

> > >

> > agreed with

> send

> > their

> this

> > request,

> call

> > me about

> Were

> > mistakes

> of

> > any, every

> everyone's

> > child and

> > monitoring food

> > >

my

> > daughter a

> day

> > to eat

> us

> > really

> > only had 2

> take

> > the issue

> hospital

> > 3 times a

> > behind.

> > >

> this

> > year, the

> > difference is

> enough

> > to take

> > school very

> > >

> kids

> > happy and

> and

> (in

> > my

> that

> > the

> abide

> > by that

> > > rule).

> > >

> very

> > about them

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > someone

> > > > else's child?

> > > >

> > someone

> > > > else's child?

> > >

> > complicated

> parents

> > to

> any

asthma

> his

> *,

> > can I

> He

> > also

> insist

> > those is

> > > > reasonable.

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

> > >

> > anaphylactic

> > entire

> > allergy but I

from

> > dying,

> > allergy. This

> young

> > child she

> was

> > at risk

> her

> > safe.

> > >

> > agreed with

> send

> > their

> this

> > request,

> call

> > me about

> Were

> > mistakes

> of

> > any, every

> everyone's

> > child and

> > monitoring food

> > >

my

> > daughter a

> day

> > to eat

> us

> > really

> > only had 2

> take

> > the issue

> hospital

> > 3 times a

> > behind.

> > >

> this

> > year, the

> > difference is

> enough

> > to take

> > school very

> > >

> kids

> > happy and

> and

> (in

> > my

> that

> > the

> abide

> > by that

> > > rule).

> > >

> very

> > about them

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > someone

> > > > else's child?

> > > >

> > someone

> > > > else's child?

> > >

> > complicated

> parents

> > to

> any

asthma

> his

> *,

> > can I

> He

> > also

> insist

> > those is

> > > > reasonable.

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Based on your post, I'm not sure if you think that I have that

attitude or not but I would like to assure you that I definitely do

not. All I said is that it bugs me - and for more than just one

reason.

And, for the record, my school has tried to be accomodating. They

allowed me to put a microwave into his classroom last year and even

moved it over last summer to his new classroom and informed his

teacher before this school year started. (This is only my second

year dealing with this.) And, the teacher on back-to-school night,

put out a memo that there were to be no peanut products or wheat

either (for birthdays, etc...). Unfortunately, there is no

enforcement of that rule which is where the whole process is

failing. I don't think I'm being unreasonable in asking simply for

advanced notice.

> > > >

> > > > As a parent of a child with airborne peanut reactions and

> > > anaphylactic

> > > > reactions with any contact to peanuts.... no I don't expect

> the

> > > entire

> > > > classroom or the school to be " responsible " for my daughters

> > > allergy but I

> > > > do expect them to take reasonable steps to protect my child

> from

> > > dying,

> > > > which is what the reaction could easily be with her level of

> > > allergy. This

> > > > was especially true when she was in elementary school. As a

> > young

> > > child she

> > > > didn't have the skills enough to recognize situations where

> she

> > was

> > > at risk

> > > > so at that age, yes I expected the school to take steps to

> keep

> > her

> > > safe.

> > > >

> > > > I'm very happy to report back then the principal of her

school

> > > agreed with

> > > > me and asked the parents in her classroom to voluntarily

not

> > send

> > > their

> > > > kids with peanut products. Every single parent complied

with

> > this

> > > request,

> > > > every single year. The parents had my phone number and

would

> > call

> > > me about

> > > > products they had at home. It worked out wonderfully for

us.

> > Were

> > > mistakes

> > > > made (like with power/snack bars)? Maybe so but I'm not

aware

> > of

> > > any, every

> > > > single parent was so nice about it, my daughter became

> > everyone's

> > > child and

> > > > on field trips and such..... all the parents were constantly

> > > monitoring food

> > > > and snacks around her (I did go on every field trip).

> > > >

> > > > They decided not to ban peanuts in the entire school but

gave

> my

> > > daughter a

> > > > separate lounge to eat her lunch in (she could pick 5

friends

> a

> > day

> > > to eat

> > > > there with her). Again the precautions that everyone took

for

> > us

> > > really

> > > > worked... she was in that school for 5 years (to 4th grade)

> and

> > > only had 2

> > > > reactions. Then she went to another school where they

didn't

> > take

> > > the issue

> > > > as seriously and she would have to come home or go to the

> > hospital

> > > 3 times a

> > > > week, her grades suffered, her confidence suffered and she

got

> > > behind.

> > > >

> > > > Now she is in 8th grade and she has only had a few reactions

> > this

> > > year, the

> > > > only precaution she has is a peanut free lunch table but,

the

> > > difference is

> > > > that she can now read labels, she is old enough and mature

> > enough

> > > to take

> > > > care of her allergy. The other saving grace is that in

Middle

> > > school very

> > > > few kids eat PB & J its just not " cool " .

> > > >

> > > > So you know what... it really does take a village to keep

our

> > kids

> > > happy and

> > > > healthy and I guess I've convinced myself that I do expect

> help

> > and

> > > > understanding from others... I'd certainly do it for their

> kids

> > (in

> > > my

> > > > daughters school there is a child with latex allergy so

severe

> > that

> > > the

> > > > entire school does not have ANY latex in it and I'm happy to

> > abide

> > > by that

> > > > rule).

> > > >

> > > > You mentioned that your child has asthma and celiac, those

are

> > very

> > > > different then an anaphylactic airborne peanut allergy, I

know

> > > about them

> > > > first hand too, my peanut girl has both!

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > > Are 50 parents (one classroom) responsible for the safety

of

> > > someone

> > > > > else's child?

> > > > >

> > > > > Are 500 parents (entire school) responsible for the safety

> of

> > > someone

> > > > > else's child?

> > > >

> > > > > As the parent of a child with not only celiac but also a

> > > complicated

> > > > > list of allergies and intolerances, I do not expect other

> > parents

> > > to

> > > > > be responsible for my child's safety. To date, he has not

> had

> > any

> > > > > analphylactic reactions, but I have already been warned by

> the

> > > > > allergist he is at risk for them, and he does have major

> asthma

> > > > > attacks from certain allergens. Dogs are a major trigger

for

> > his

> > > > > asthma *and people can die from asthma in a very few

> minutes*

> > *,

> > > can I

> > > > > ban dogs in all public places because of one person's

needs?

> > He

> > > also

> > > > > reacts to " secondhand dog " on other people's clothes, can

I

> > insist

> > > > > every child in class live in a dog-free home? No, neither

of

> > > those is

> > > > > reasonable.

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

reason.

advanced notice.

> > > >

> > > anaphylactic

> the

> > > entire

> > > allergy but I

> from

> > > dying,

> > > allergy. This

> > young

> > > child she

> she

> > was

> > > at risk

> keep

> > her

> > > safe.

> > > >

school

> > > agreed with

not

> > send

> > > their

with

> > this

> > > request,

would

> > call

> > > me about

us.

> > Were

> > > mistakes

aware

> > of

> > > any, every

> > everyone's

> > > child and

> > > monitoring food

> > > >

gave

> my

> > > daughter a

friends

> a

> > day

> > > to eat

for

> > us

> > > really

> and

> > > only had 2

didn't

> > take

> > > the issue

> > hospital

> > > 3 times a

got

> > > behind.

> > > >

> > this

> > > year, the

the

> > > difference is

> > enough

> > > to take

Middle

> > > school very

> > > >

our

> > kids

> > > happy and

> help

> > and

> kids

> > (in

> > > my

severe

> > that

> > > the

> > abide

> > > by that

> > > > rule).

> > > >

are

> > very

know

> > > about them

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

of

> > > someone

> > > > > else's child?

> > > > >

> of

> > > someone

> > > > > else's child?

> > > >

> > > complicated

> > parents

> > > to

> had

> > any

> the

> asthma

for

> > his

> minutes*

> > *,

> > > can I

needs?

> > He

> > > also

I

> > insist

of

> > > those is

> > > > > reasonable.

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

reason.

advanced notice.

> > > >

> > > anaphylactic

> the

> > > entire

> > > allergy but I

> from

> > > dying,

> > > allergy. This

> > young

> > > child she

> she

> > was

> > > at risk

> keep

> > her

> > > safe.

> > > >

school

> > > agreed with

not

> > send

> > > their

with

> > this

> > > request,

would

> > call

> > > me about

us.

> > Were

> > > mistakes

aware

> > of

> > > any, every

> > everyone's

> > > child and

> > > monitoring food

> > > >

gave

> my

> > > daughter a

friends

> a

> > day

> > > to eat

for

> > us

> > > really

> and

> > > only had 2

didn't

> > take

> > > the issue

> > hospital

> > > 3 times a

got

> > > behind.

> > > >

> > this

> > > year, the

the

> > > difference is

> > enough

> > > to take

Middle

> > > school very

> > > >

our

> > kids

> > > happy and

> help

> > and

> kids

> > (in

> > > my

severe

> > that

> > > the

> > abide

> > > by that

> > > > rule).

> > > >

are

> > very

know

> > > about them

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

of

> > > someone

> > > > > else's child?

> > > > >

> of

> > > someone

> > > > > else's child?

> > > >

> > > complicated

> > parents

> > > to

> had

> > any

> the

> asthma

for

> > his

> minutes*

> > *,

> > > can I

needs?

> > He

> > > also

I

> > insist

of

> > > those is

> > > > > reasonable.

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

> >

> > Also, one person pointed out that if one child needed to eat PB

> > (for protein) then he/she could be sent to the nurses office. So

> > the child with the allergies should not be ostracized, but another

> > child should be?

>

> The issue was small protein snacks for metabolism. That's no

> different than going to the nurse's office for medication. Other

> children don't get four snacks a day, so I doubt a child getting such

> would have them in the classroom.

>

> ygg

You have misinterpreted what I said. EVERY child in the class had a

snack, but my son, the one celiac, did not have the school issued

crackers or cookies. He had a protein based snack from home, almost

always including nuts. He needs protein 4 times per day - 3 meals + 1

snack, not 4 snacks. So to start with he had to be different at snack

time, and then you think sending him to the school nurse's office (she

was only there 3 hours/week) would have been acceptable? That type of

cruelty is a large part of why we now homeschool!

Maureen

Guest guest

> >

> > child should be?

>

>

> ygg

Maureen

Guest guest

> >

> > child should be?

>

>

> ygg

Maureen

Guest guest

I don't disagree with you at all concerning advanced notice...it

makes complete sense why this is important, since it's so hard to

plan ahead as it is sometimes.

My own son has an anaphylactic response to sesame that is severe

like peanut ones can be, and in the back of my head, I have always

been ticked off that there haven't been bans put on sesame products

at least in his own classrooms, etc., like there have been

implemented in response to peanut allergies. I'd love to make a big

fuss about it sometimes! I'm tired of walking around with an epipen

on us at all times, etc., not being able to let him eat foods others

prepare or offer, etc. I agree, bans don't completely eliminate the

problem because they're so hard to enforce, but every little bit of

attention the matter gets might just mean someone else will take it

seriously.

I just think that we should be empathetic about the importance of

bans in the schools because we deal with somewhat similar issues

everyday. I am sure by your post saying that you comply with the

ban that you do respect and follow it...and that's what's

important. But too many people have that attitude of " if they

won't, then I won't " and that just puts more people in danger. Even

if we cannot get others to understand the importance of eliminating

and avoiding all gluten, etc., we still need to recognize and

support bans for other dietary issues in order to help foster

support for our own concerns and to address the safety of all of the

children in the classrooms.

C

> > > > >

> > > > > As a parent of a child with airborne peanut reactions and

> > > > anaphylactic

> > > > > reactions with any contact to peanuts.... no I don't

expect

> > the

> > > > entire

> > > > > classroom or the school to be " responsible " for my

daughters

> > > > allergy but I

> > > > > do expect them to take reasonable steps to protect my

child

> > from

> > > > dying,

> > > > > which is what the reaction could easily be with her level

of

> > > > allergy. This

> > > > > was especially true when she was in elementary school. As

a

> > > young

> > > > child she

> > > > > didn't have the skills enough to recognize situations

where

> > she

> > > was

> > > > at risk

> > > > > so at that age, yes I expected the school to take steps to

> > keep

> > > her

> > > > safe.

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm very happy to report back then the principal of her

> school

> > > > agreed with

> > > > > me and asked the parents in her classroom to voluntarily

> not

> > > send

> > > > their

> > > > > kids with peanut products. Every single parent complied

> with

> > > this

> > > > request,

> > > > > every single year. The parents had my phone number and

> would

> > > call

> > > > me about

> > > > > products they had at home. It worked out wonderfully for

> us.

> > > Were

> > > > mistakes

> > > > > made (like with power/snack bars)? Maybe so but I'm not

> aware

> > > of

> > > > any, every

> > > > > single parent was so nice about it, my daughter became

> > > everyone's

> > > > child and

> > > > > on field trips and such..... all the parents were

constantly

> > > > monitoring food

> > > > > and snacks around her (I did go on every field trip).

> > > > >

> > > > > They decided not to ban peanuts in the entire school but

> gave

> > my

> > > > daughter a

> > > > > separate lounge to eat her lunch in (she could pick 5

> friends

> > a

> > > day

> > > > to eat

> > > > > there with her). Again the precautions that everyone took

> for

> > > us

> > > > really

> > > > > worked... she was in that school for 5 years (to 4th

grade)

> > and

> > > > only had 2

> > > > > reactions. Then she went to another school where they

> didn't

> > > take

> > > > the issue

> > > > > as seriously and she would have to come home or go to the

> > > hospital

> > > > 3 times a

> > > > > week, her grades suffered, her confidence suffered and she

> got

> > > > behind.

> > > > >

> > > > > Now she is in 8th grade and she has only had a few

reactions

> > > this

> > > > year, the

> > > > > only precaution she has is a peanut free lunch table but,

> the

> > > > difference is

> > > > > that she can now read labels, she is old enough and mature

> > > enough

> > > > to take

> > > > > care of her allergy. The other saving grace is that in

> Middle

> > > > school very

> > > > > few kids eat PB & J its just not " cool " .

> > > > >

> > > > > So you know what... it really does take a village to keep

> our

> > > kids

> > > > happy and

> > > > > healthy and I guess I've convinced myself that I do expect

> > help

> > > and

> > > > > understanding from others... I'd certainly do it for their

> > kids

> > > (in

> > > > my

> > > > > daughters school there is a child with latex allergy so

> severe

> > > that

> > > > the

> > > > > entire school does not have ANY latex in it and I'm happy

to

> > > abide

> > > > by that

> > > > > rule).

> > > > >

> > > > > You mentioned that your child has asthma and celiac, those

> are

> > > very

> > > > > different then an anaphylactic airborne peanut allergy, I

> know

> > > > about them

> > > > > first hand too, my peanut girl has both!

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > > Are 50 parents (one classroom) responsible for the

safety

> of

> > > > someone

> > > > > > else's child?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Are 500 parents (entire school) responsible for the

safety

> > of

> > > > someone

> > > > >

> > > > > > As the parent of a child with not only celiac but also a

> > > > complicated

> > > > > > list of allergies and intolerances, I do not expect

other

> > > parents

> > > > to

> > > > > > be responsible for my child's safety. To date, he has

not

> > had

> > > any

> > > > > > analphylactic reactions, but I have already been warned

by

> > the

> > > > > > allergist he is at risk for them, and he does have major

> > asthma

> > > > > > attacks from certain allergens. Dogs are a major trigger

> for

> > > his

> > > > > > asthma *and people can die from asthma in a very few

> > minutes*

> > > *,

> > > > can I

> > > > > > ban dogs in all public places because of one person's

> needs?

> > > He

> > > > also

> > > > > > reacts to " secondhand dog " on other people's clothes,

can

> I

> > > insist

> > > > > > every child in class live in a dog-free home? No,

neither

> of

> > > > those is

> > > > > > reasonable.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

I don't disagree with you at all concerning advanced notice...it

makes complete sense why this is important, since it's so hard to

plan ahead as it is sometimes.

My own son has an anaphylactic response to sesame that is severe

like peanut ones can be, and in the back of my head, I have always

been ticked off that there haven't been bans put on sesame products

at least in his own classrooms, etc., like there have been

implemented in response to peanut allergies. I'd love to make a big

fuss about it sometimes! I'm tired of walking around with an epipen

on us at all times, etc., not being able to let him eat foods others

prepare or offer, etc. I agree, bans don't completely eliminate the

problem because they're so hard to enforce, but every little bit of

attention the matter gets might just mean someone else will take it

seriously.

I just think that we should be empathetic about the importance of

bans in the schools because we deal with somewhat similar issues

everyday. I am sure by your post saying that you comply with the

ban that you do respect and follow it...and that's what's

important. But too many people have that attitude of " if they

won't, then I won't " and that just puts more people in danger. Even

if we cannot get others to understand the importance of eliminating

and avoiding all gluten, etc., we still need to recognize and

support bans for other dietary issues in order to help foster

support for our own concerns and to address the safety of all of the

children in the classrooms.

C

> > > > >

> > > > > As a parent of a child with airborne peanut reactions and

> > > > anaphylactic

> > > > > reactions with any contact to peanuts.... no I don't

expect

> > the

> > > > entire

> > > > > classroom or the school to be " responsible " for my

daughters

> > > > allergy but I

> > > > > do expect them to take reasonable steps to protect my

child

> > from

> > > > dying,

> > > > > which is what the reaction could easily be with her level

of

> > > > allergy. This

> > > > > was especially true when she was in elementary school. As

a

> > > young

> > > > child she

> > > > > didn't have the skills enough to recognize situations

where

> > she

> > > was

> > > > at risk

> > > > > so at that age, yes I expected the school to take steps to

> > keep

> > > her

> > > > safe.

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm very happy to report back then the principal of her

> school

> > > > agreed with

> > > > > me and asked the parents in her classroom to voluntarily

> not

> > > send

> > > > their

> > > > > kids with peanut products. Every single parent complied

> with

> > > this

> > > > request,

> > > > > every single year. The parents had my phone number and

> would

> > > call

> > > > me about

> > > > > products they had at home. It worked out wonderfully for

> us.

> > > Were

> > > > mistakes

> > > > > made (like with power/snack bars)? Maybe so but I'm not

> aware

> > > of

> > > > any, every

> > > > > single parent was so nice about it, my daughter became

> > > everyone's

> > > > child and

> > > > > on field trips and such..... all the parents were

constantly

> > > > monitoring food

> > > > > and snacks around her (I did go on every field trip).

> > > > >

> > > > > They decided not to ban peanuts in the entire school but

> gave

> > my

> > > > daughter a

> > > > > separate lounge to eat her lunch in (she could pick 5

> friends

> > a

> > > day

> > > > to eat

> > > > > there with her). Again the precautions that everyone took

> for

> > > us

> > > > really

> > > > > worked... she was in that school for 5 years (to 4th

grade)

> > and

> > > > only had 2

> > > > > reactions. Then she went to another school where they

> didn't

> > > take

> > > > the issue

> > > > > as seriously and she would have to come home or go to the

> > > hospital

> > > > 3 times a

> > > > > week, her grades suffered, her confidence suffered and she

> got

> > > > behind.

> > > > >

> > > > > Now she is in 8th grade and she has only had a few

reactions

> > > this

> > > > year, the

> > > > > only precaution she has is a peanut free lunch table but,

> the

> > > > difference is

> > > > > that she can now read labels, she is old enough and mature

> > > enough

> > > > to take

> > > > > care of her allergy. The other saving grace is that in

> Middle

> > > > school very

> > > > > few kids eat PB & J its just not " cool " .

> > > > >

> > > > > So you know what... it really does take a village to keep

> our

> > > kids

> > > > happy and

> > > > > healthy and I guess I've convinced myself that I do expect

> > help

> > > and

> > > > > understanding from others... I'd certainly do it for their

> > kids

> > > (in

> > > > my

> > > > > daughters school there is a child with latex allergy so

> severe

> > > that

> > > > the

> > > > > entire school does not have ANY latex in it and I'm happy

to

> > > abide

> > > > by that

> > > > > rule).

> > > > >

> > > > > You mentioned that your child has asthma and celiac, those

> are

> > > very

> > > > > different then an anaphylactic airborne peanut allergy, I

> know

> > > > about them

> > > > > first hand too, my peanut girl has both!

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > > Are 50 parents (one classroom) responsible for the

safety

> of

> > > > someone

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Are 500 parents (entire school) responsible for the

safety

> > of