RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Regarding crackles

Rate this topic

Guest guest

It was explained to me that alevoli (thousands of sacs in the lungs that absorb oxygen-open and expel carbon dioxide-close) as they are stiffening with fibrosis creates the crackle velcro as they struggle to open and close. And yes it was explained to me that fibrosis begins in the lower lungs and progresses upward unless stabilized. I beleive it was Dr. Raghu at the UW who provided this description.

Steve 60 from WA IPF 2006 Parkinsons 2008

Alzheimers 2008

Reply-To: Breathe-Support To: Breathe-Support Subject: Re: Regarding cracklesDate: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 13:52:11 -0700 (PDT)

Terry,

For PF patients crackles don't always indicate fluid. That's something that was difficult for me to grasp as all my education told me that crackles=fluid.

PF crackles sound more like velcro and fluid crackles generally sound more like Rice Crispies (snap crackle pop) It's possible to have both sounds and a mixing of the sounds as when a pf patient has fluid in their lungs as in pneumonia and congestive heart failure.

My crackles have largely disappeared over the last few months for some reason. Just today I had a respiratory therapist tell me that they may have improved because of the exercise I'm doing and my dedicated use of the incentive spirometer. As long as they're gone that's all I care about!

Beth

Age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06

Change everything. Love and Forgive

Regarding cracklesTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Thursday, July 3, 2008, 6:01 AM

Hi all, I thought I would put in my two cents worth about crackles. My doctor hears mine all the time and when I have been in the hospital for pneumonia and congestive heart failure (which has been about 6 times in the last 8 years), everybody who listens to my lungs when they do the vitals hears them. When I am in a quiet room and the air is particularlly dry and I breathe with my mouth open, I hear them myself through my mouth. It does sound like some plastic wrap crinkling. It is fun to watch someone's face who doesn't know I have a lung problem listen to my lungs for the first time. You can see the intensity of their face as they listen again and the quizzical look comes on their face. Ha! Usually it is when I am at a new doctor's offce for the 1st time and the nurse comes in to do the vitals before the doc comes in. I usually don't keep them in suspense for very long so they don't freak out and think they have found some weird thing. Jim IPF 2000Sarcoidosis 2000PH 2007

Guest guest

It was explained to me that alevoli (thousands of sacs in the lungs that absorb oxygen-open and expel carbon dioxide-close) as they are stiffening with fibrosis creates the crackle velcro as they struggle to open and close. And yes it was explained to me that fibrosis begins in the lower lungs and progresses upward unless stabilized. I beleive it was Dr. Raghu at the UW who provided this description.

Alzheimers 2008

Reply-To: Breathe-Support To: Breathe-Support Subject: Re: Regarding cracklesDate: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 13:52:11 -0700 (PDT)

Terry,

For PF patients crackles don't always indicate fluid. That's something that was difficult for me to grasp as all my education told me that crackles=fluid.

PF crackles sound more like velcro and fluid crackles generally sound more like Rice Crispies (snap crackle pop) It's possible to have both sounds and a mixing of the sounds as when a pf patient has fluid in their lungs as in pneumonia and congestive heart failure.

My crackles have largely disappeared over the last few months for some reason. Just today I had a respiratory therapist tell me that they may have improved because of the exercise I'm doing and my dedicated use of the incentive spirometer. As long as they're gone that's all I care about!

Beth

Regarding cracklesTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Thursday, July 3, 2008, 6:01 AM

Hi all, I thought I would put in my two cents worth about crackles. My doctor hears mine all the time and when I have been in the hospital for pneumonia and congestive heart failure (which has been about 6 times in the last 8 years), everybody who listens to my lungs when they do the vitals hears them. When I am in a quiet room and the air is particularlly dry and I breathe with my mouth open, I hear them myself through my mouth. It does sound like some plastic wrap crinkling. It is fun to watch someone's face who doesn't know I have a lung problem listen to my lungs for the first time. You can see the intensity of their face as they listen again and the quizzical look comes on their face. Ha! Usually it is when I am at a new doctor's offce for the 1st time and the nurse comes in to do the vitals before the doc comes in. I usually don't keep them in suspense for very long so they don't freak out and think they have found some weird thing. Jim IPF 2000Sarcoidosis 2000PH 2007

Guest guest

Alzheimers 2008

Terry,

Beth

Guest guest

Steve,

That's precisely the explanation that's been given to me numerous times also!

Beth

Hi all, I thought I would put in my two cents worth about crackles. My doctor hears mine all the time and when I have been in the hospital for pneumonia and congestive heart failure (which has been about 6 times in the last 8 years), everybody who listens to my lungs when they do the vitals hears them. When I am in a quiet room and the air is particularlly dry and I breathe with my mouth open, I hear them myself through my mouth. It does sound like some plastic wrap crinkling. It is fun to watch someone's face who doesn't know I have a lung problem listen to my lungs for the first time. You can see the intensity of their face as they listen again and the quizzical look comes on their face. Ha! Usually it is when I am at a new doctor's offce for the 1st time and the nurse comes in to do the vitals before the doc comes in. I usually don't keep them in suspense for very long so they don't

freak out and think they have found some weird thing. Jim IPF 2000Sarcoidosis 2000PH 2007

Guest guest

Steve,

Beth

Hi all, I thought I would put in my two cents worth about crackles. My doctor hears mine all the time and when I have been in the hospital for pneumonia and congestive heart failure (which has been about 6 times in the last 8 years), everybody who listens to my lungs when they do the vitals hears them. When I am in a quiet room and the air is particularlly dry and I breathe with my mouth open, I hear them myself through my mouth. It does sound like some plastic wrap crinkling. It is fun to watch someone's face who doesn't know I have a lung problem listen to my lungs for the first time. You can see the intensity of their face as they listen again and the quizzical look comes on their face. Ha! Usually it is when I am at a new doctor's offce for the 1st time and the nurse comes in to do the vitals before the doc comes in. I usually don't keep them in suspense for very long so they don't

freak out and think they have found some weird thing. Jim IPF 2000Sarcoidosis 2000PH 2007

Guest guest

Steve,

Beth

Guest guest

Mine is in the lower part of both of my lungs. I won't know how far I am progressing until I go for my follow up with the doc in Birmingham and he compares my CT from December with the one I had in June. I am curious to know how fast I am progressing.

CaroASTHMA 1976,OSTEOARTHRITIS 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/07, UIP 01/08, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS 03/08Mississippi

From: alphajkw <alphajkwyahoo (DOT) com>Subject: Regarding cracklesTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Thursday, July 3, 2008, 6:01 AM