Rate this topic

Guest guest

I don't have any of the stuff around, so I haven't

verified this, but my doctor told me to avoid Monistat

because it contains a small amount of sulfa. Like a

lot of people, I'm allergic to sulfa.

Zig

Guest guest

HI Ciara, Zig, and all, Zig, you got my interest peaked as I too am somewhat leery of meds with sulfa...and you mentioning it might be in Monistat. If someone is allergic to that it really can be serious stuff. Anyway I just quickly looked it up and this is what it says for ingredients and it doesn't sound like any of them are sulfa.

MONISTAT-DERM (miconazole nitrate 2%) Cream contains miconazole nitrate* 2%, formulated into a water-miscible base consisting of pegoxol 7 stearate, peglicol 5 oleate, mineral oil, benzoic acid, butylated hydroxyanisole and purified water. *Chemical name: 1-[2,4-dichloro-b-{(2,4-dichlorobenzyl)oxy}phenethyl]imidazole mononitrate.

Glad I did look that up because they say it's also a good one for use for Tineaversicolor which I get off and on the trunk & neck. A body fungus that looks like a peeled suntan and a turkey skin looking neck. LOL . I usually use Lamisil topically and it keeps it under control but good to know this is specific to that type of fungus too. ;)

Miconazole inhibits the growth of the common dermatophytes, Trichophyton rubrum, Trichophyton mentagrophytes, and Epidermophyton floccosum, the yeastlike fungus, Candida albicans, and the organism responsible for tinea versicolor (Malassezia furfur).

But as much as those intravaginal antiyeast meds can burn or irritate 'I' myself would still rather suffer one more day of burning (using the ONE time treatments only like Vagistat) than dealing with the possibility of the side effects of even one time use of the Diflucan. PLUS I make absolutely sure it is a yeast infection I have.

I Know..I know.... *OUCH* stop throwing those bricks, *chuckle* and to each their own of course and I don't mean it for those who use those intravaginal anti-yeast meds all the time, I know what a chemical burn they can give, *groan* and if that's the case I can understand using the Diflucan a time or two IF it's the only thing that will work.

But it should clear it up fairly quickly IF it's the common garden variety candida yeast or else I would think something else is going on that's being missed or overlooked like diabetes or it's the wrong med (the intra-vaginals) for what's going on in the first place. It might be a stubborn strain too, so of course the intravaginal ones wouldn't be that effective but the Diflucan doens't cover all strains either.

*sigh*

Of course it could be the use of birth control pills too that'll throw things out of whack with yeast, heck even stress can sure trigger yeast too big time. What a quandry eh. *sigh*

OH and one other thing that's known is to NOT take Erythromycin (an antibiotic) with an antifungal like Diflucan...and not too many mention that and I've seen some use both as a preventative but I just hope it's not Erythromycin they take and myself would be leery of 'any' oral antibiotic while on Diflucan and especially those like Lamisil or Sporonox for nail fungus. To read a bit about it try this link.

If not clickable try here.

http://www.heartcenteronline.com/myheartdr/home/research-detail.cfm?reutersid=4678

They don't mix and could be detrimental because adding the antibiotic can/may increase the risk that the antibiotic will disrupt the hearts electrical rhythm. It could mean sudden death syndrome. Oh and then there's the Liver problems that might happen as well with the Diflucan. Can you tell I'm against it? LOL but that's 'me' and for 'me' the ONE time treatment of Vagistat intravaginally works but yeah it sure can burn an extra day *sigh*) but then I'm done with it.

I sure feel for those who get chronic yeast infections big time and do understand why they'd use a Diflucan, my own daughter does... so believe me it's just how 'I" feel about it and read too much. *grin* I'm just babbling here and had a few extra minutes forgive me.. ;)

Dee ;)

Guest guest

Sounds like you're right, Dee....maybe the sulfa

connection is an urban myth, lol? Of course, there are

actually two formulations of Monistat--the active

ingredient in Monistat 1 is tioconazole rather than

miconazole like the 3- and 7-day versions. The

ingredients for the 1-day are: Active Ingredients:

Tioconazole 300mg (6.5%)(Vaginal Antifungal). Inactive

Ingredients: Butylated Hydroxyanisole, Magnesium

Aluminum Silicate, White Petrolatum. None of these

sound like sulfa, either, although the inactives don't

sound particularly soothing. (And they have to report

everything on the label, don't they?)

The warning about the sulfa was from the same doctor

who told me the tinnitus I've had for the last 10

months couldn't possibly be connected to menopause,

when I've heard from a number of sources that it can

be.

Zig

Guest guest

> No one that I know has any proof, but myself and several other

women on the Yahoo VV-related groups have reported worsening

symptoms, or onset of VV/VVS following Monistat use.

>

I am living proof of this. When I had a yeast infection from taking

antibiotics, I tried the OTC monistat and OUCH OUCH OUCH...things

went from itching with mild burning to full on flames! It felt like

I had rug burn of the vulva.

It took a while to connect my increased burning to monistat but after

reading about other women with vulvar burning after using it..it

clicked in my head!

Recently, I had to take a course of antibiotics (new spa...hubby

wasn't good with chemicals...I got a breast infection! I know..I was

shocked too! Never had one before. The doc said it must have gotten

in thru the nipple!) my burning increased after being calm for a long

time. I tried just rubbing monistat cream on the outer vulva..BIG

MISTAKE...flaming again! Finally using Lamisil (for atheletes

foot..it says not to use in any other area but it's the same stuff

that the insert creams have in it other than the med itself) has

calmed it down.

Another one I got from the doctor that increased my burning as well.

It started with a T and is prescription. I can use other creams OTC

no problem. Just not monistat for some reason. I wonder if it has

to do with the strain of the yeast (I have had proven c. glabrata) or

the fact that monistat has been OTC for so long now that yeast is

becoming resistant to it. Misuse or overuse has caused lesser

strains of yeast to start showing up more often such as the c.

glabrata.

Lynn

Guest guest

HI Zig,

I wasn't aware that Monistat 2 is tioconazole. It's the same ingredient in the Vagistat that I use which is rare that I get a yeast infection anymore. Also saw where the tioconazole is good not only for the Candida A. but also the T. Glabrata strain.

"Tioconazole exhibits fungicidal activity in vitro against Candida albicans, other species of the genus Candida, and against Torulopsis glabrata."

Sure sorry to hear you've got the tinnitis.... my mom has that and has pretty much learned to ignore it by now (got it in her mid 50's) but it's a constant thing with that ringing in the ears. I hope it isn't too bad for you and I too have heard it can come on in menopause or at least I've heard it's more common with the elderly, LOL. Some joke eh? NOT...

I have this link for various treatments but no idea if any of them work. http://www.bixby.org/faq/tinnitus/treatmnt.html#histamine Some are natural type remedy's but others more scientific. The list is long. FWIW.

Dee~ ;)

Guest guest

> " Tioconazole exhibits fungicidal activity in vitro against Candida

>albicans, other species of the genus Candida, and against Torulopsis

>glabrata. "

This is interesting. I never knew this. Dr. Gordon in Phoenix

said I had C. Glabrata (aka T. Glabrata) on slides when this all

started. I couldn't use Monistat as it made things worse but I found

I could use Vagistat 1! Now I know why! When I have flares I will

have to be sure to use it again (from antibiotics).

Lynn

Guest guest

> Sounds like you're right, Dee....maybe the sulfa

> connection is an urban myth, lol? > Zig

It might be the Potassium Hydroxide that is in monistat he was

refering too. It's in the lye family (or at least I think it is. Some

people use it to make liquid soap from scrath). I know I can't use

Replens because it has lye in it to keep the pH in normal range. Lye

burns. I didn't see Vagistat as having Potassium Hydroxide in it and

that cream doesn't bother me.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/p5883.htm if you scroll down

the SKIN you will see it causes burns to the skin.

Terazol by prescription is the other med besides monistat that causes

me to burn worse.

Lynn

Guest guest

HI Lynn. ;) I know how some of those brands sure can burn.... OW OW but at least for me the 'one time' usage of Vagistat (tioconazole) which I admit I barely could endure because I'd be so doggone inflammed from the yeast but it would be overwith fast and I didn't feel it was that systemic to do other unknown damage. But that's just 'me'.

The one you mentioned burning besides the Monistat was Terazole and that has Terconazole in it. Reading some of these ingredients I can sure see why that too would irritate. (those names are really similiar Tioconazol & Terconazole) jeesh.

This is the TERZAZOL

"TERAZOLĀ® 7 (terconazole) Vaginal Cream 0.4% is a white to off-white, water washable cream for intravaginal administration containing 0.4% of the antifungal agent terconazole, cis-1-[p-[[2-(2,4-Dichlorophenyl)-2-(1H-1,2,4-triazol-1-ylmethyl)-1,3-dioxolan-4-yl]methoxy]phenyl]-4-isopropylpiper-azine, compounded in a cream base consisting of butylated hydroxyanisole, cetyl alcohol, isopropyl myristate, polysorbate 60, polysorbate 80, propylene glycol, stearyl alcohol, and purified water. "

This is the VAGISTAT

VagistatĀ® -1 tioconazole

6.5% vaginal ointment

Tioconazole, 1-[2-{(2-chloro-3-thienyl)methoxy}-2(2,4-dichlorophenyl)ethyl]1,H-imidazole, is a topical antifungal agent. Its chemical formula is C16H13Cl3N2OS with a molecular weight of 387.7.

VAGISTAT-1 (tioconazole 6.5%) is formulated in a base of white, soft paraffin and aluminum magnesium silicate with butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) added as a preservative. Each applicator-full of VAGISTAT-1 provides approximately 4.6 grams of ointment containing 300 mg of tioconazole.

And this is the MONISTAT

MONISTAT-DERM (miconazole nitrate 2%) Cream contains miconazole nitrate* 2%, formulated into a water-miscible base consisting of pegoxol 7 stearate, peglicol 5 oleate, mineral oil, benzoic acid, butylated hydroxyanisole and purified water.

*Chemical name: 1-[2,4-dichloro-b-{(2,4-dichlorobenzyl)oxy}phenethyl]imidazole mononitrate.

YOY we've got to be chemists as well, LOL

Dee~

Guest guest

Hello girls!

I'm also new here to your group. I live in South Carolina and I'm a good 'ole Southern girl....accent and all. :) I've been reading all your emails for days now. Wow! I'm finally not alone. I'm 37 and have been living with this vaginal pain for 20 years!! I have had problems with yeast off and on but nothing has totally taken the pain away. I finally found a doctor in ton and saw him a few weeks ago and he diagnosed me with vestibulitis and his first solution was surgery! That kind of freaked me out and I'm not ready for that, so he put me on a steriod cream and it hasn't helped yet at all. I'm a registered nurse and know all about all the antifungal creams and steriods, etc... and just not sure what will end up helping me. Did the Estrace cream help any of you? Also, have any of you had a vestibulectomy and did it really work? I know one lady who had it and had so much problems that she says DON'T have the surgery. Then I read where others have had it and are glad. I

just need more input before I decide if someone's going to be working around down there!

I also have fibromyalgia and endometriois. Anyone relate? So I've been on birth control pills for 15 years to help with the endometriosis and that in turn makes yeast grow but without the BCP I am in too much pain! Ugh! It's a catch 22.

Anyway, just wanted to say hey and see what y'all had to say about the surgery and what you were diagnosed with and what treatments ultimately helped you. One thing I don't like about the doctor I'm seeing is that he doesn't think diet has anything to do with it and I think he's wrong. I KNOW when I avoid sugar and high carb foods that I'm not as inflammed or irritated. Maybe that's because it's yeast! I don't know.

Thanks,

MissyDeeTroll wrote:

HI Lynn. ;) I know how some of those brands sure can burn.... OW OW but at least for me the 'one time' usage of Vagistat (tioconazole) which I admit I barely could endure because I'd be so doggone inflammed from the yeast but it would be overwith fast and I didn't feel it was that systemic to do other unknown damage. But that's just 'me'.

The one you mentioned burning besides the Monistat was Terazole and that has Terconazole in it. Reading some of these ingredients I can sure see why that too would irritate. (those names are really similiar Tioconazol & Terconazole) jeesh.

This is the TERZAZOL

"TERAZOLĀ® 7 (terconazole) Vaginal Cream 0.4% is a white to off-white, water washable cream for intravaginal administration containing 0.4% of the antifungal agent terconazole, cis-1-[p-[[2-(2,4-Dichlorophenyl)-2-(1H-1,2,4-triazol-1-ylmethyl)-1,3-dioxolan-4-yl]methoxy]phenyl]-4-isopropylpiper-azine, compounded in a cream base consisting of butylated hydroxyanisole, cetyl alcohol, isopropyl myristate, polysorbate 60, polysorbate 80, propylene glycol, stearyl alcohol, and purified water. "

This is the VAGISTAT

VagistatĀ® -1 tioconazole

6.5% vaginal ointment

Tioconazole, 1-[2-{(2-chloro-3-thienyl)methoxy}-2(2,4-dichlorophenyl)ethyl]1,H-imidazole, is a topical antifungal agent. Its chemical formula is C16H13Cl3N2OS with a molecular weight of 387.7.

VAGISTAT-1 (tioconazole 6.5%) is formulated in a base of white, soft paraffin and aluminum magnesium silicate with butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) added as a preservative. Each applicator-full of VAGISTAT-1 provides approximately 4.6 grams of ointment containing 300 mg of tioconazole.

And this is the MONISTAT

MONISTAT-DERM (miconazole nitrate 2%) Cream contains miconazole nitrate* 2%, formulated into a water-miscible base consisting of pegoxol 7 stearate, peglicol 5 oleate, mineral oil, benzoic acid, butylated hydroxyanisole and purified water.

*Chemical name: 1-[2,4-dichloro-b-{(2,4-dichlorobenzyl)oxy}phenethyl]imidazole mononitrate.

YOY we've got to be chemists as well, LOL

Dee~ *****END OF MESSAGE/REMOVE WHEN REPLYING*****http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VulvarDisordersto search our archive or view our files.***