RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

RE: Re: dairy farm in PA can't keep up with demand!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

oh my gosh! $1.50 for a dozen eggs? that is barely wholesale price right now! Others are right Americans are terrible at wanting cheap food and in the long run it isn't cheap.

ro

Re: dairy farm in PA can't keep up with demand!

Wow! When I went from $1 to $1.25 last spring I lost a bunch ofcustomers. The ones who stayed will understand the jump to $1.50 andstick with me. I don't break even on eggs, I make my money sellingroosters and chicks. Chicks for $1 at a day old make my dozen worth$12. Incubator doesn't cost that much to run and it's full from now tosometime in May or June, holds 18 dozen.Around here there is a feeling that my products should be cheaper thanWalMart. Don't know how it's figured but that's what I hear, "I canget that for .... at WalMart." Will admit to mumbling (and sometimesloudly) about Chinese poisons available at WalMart but not at mymarket table. <G> Ah well...season starts in March and I'm in a moodalready.Belinda> > . What is everyone paying for eggs???> > > > > > > >>

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1213 - Release Date: 1/7/2008 9:14 AM

Guest guest

Exactly what I'm thinking... This month our budget for food is $110 so we have to choose wisely what we are going to eat... I'm lucky our farmer's prices are close to the grocery store's... I don't mind paying a few extra dollars for quality but I cannot see myself buying 8 gallons of milk at $16 each and 4 dozens of eggs at $6... ( $152) I would already have busted my budget!Debbie Chikousky wrote: Scary thought though is that if all this keeps up wages are just not going to enable people to eat healthy foods which

I believe is a travesty.Debbie ChikouskyManitoba, Canadagdchik@..."The person who wants something will find a way.The person who doesn't will find an excuse." Re: dairy farm in PA can't keep up with demand!> The way I have it figured is that it should take about 3 dozen eggs> to pay for a sack of feed. At that rate the chickens pay for their> feed, kick in for the electricity to keep their coop warm & lit, & > keep us in eggs (2-3 doz./wk). So in '04 when feed cost $9 - $10 a> sack I charged $3.00 a dozen. Feed was up to $12-$13 a sack by '06 & I> charged $4.00 a dozen. Now,

thanks to ethanol hiking up the price of> corn and $3.00/gal. gas hiking up everything else, I'm about to go to> $5.00 a dozen to pay for feed that has gone up to $15-$16 for a 50-lb.> sack. It sounds pretty shocking, but I do know that people in town> (Anchorage) are already currently spending $6.00 for a dozen eggs at> weekly farmers' markets, and eggs sell out early in the day -- yet> another example of the growing number of consumers who are willing to> pay more for fresher, locally grown food. Which up here is a plenty> of a challenge for both producers and consumers!>> Suzy in AK>> >> . What is everyone paying for eggs???>>>>>>>>>>>>> PLEASE BE KIND AND

TRIM YOUR POSTS WHEN REPLYING!> Visit our Raw Dairy Files for a wealth of information!> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RawDairy/files/>> Archive search: http://onibasu.com>>>

Guest guest

Exactly what I'm thinking... This month our budget for food is $110 so we have to choose wisely what we are going to eat... I'm lucky our farmer's prices are close to the grocery store's... I don't mind paying a few extra dollars for quality but I cannot see myself buying 8 gallons of milk at $16 each and 4 dozens of eggs at $6... ( $152) I would already have busted my budget!Debbie Chikousky wrote: Scary thought though is that if all this keeps up wages are just not going to enable people to eat healthy foods which

I believe is a travesty.Debbie ChikouskyManitoba, Canadagdchik@..."The person who wants something will find a way.The person who doesn't will find an excuse." Re: dairy farm in PA can't keep up with demand!> The way I have it figured is that it should take about 3 dozen eggs> to pay for a sack of feed. At that rate the chickens pay for their> feed, kick in for the electricity to keep their coop warm & lit, & > keep us in eggs (2-3 doz./wk). So in '04 when feed cost $9 - $10 a> sack I charged $3.00 a dozen. Feed was up to $12-$13 a sack by '06 & I> charged $4.00 a dozen. Now,

thanks to ethanol hiking up the price of> corn and $3.00/gal. gas hiking up everything else, I'm about to go to> $5.00 a dozen to pay for feed that has gone up to $15-$16 for a 50-lb.> sack. It sounds pretty shocking, but I do know that people in town> (Anchorage) are already currently spending $6.00 for a dozen eggs at> weekly farmers' markets, and eggs sell out early in the day -- yet> another example of the growing number of consumers who are willing to> pay more for fresher, locally grown food. Which up here is a plenty> of a challenge for both producers and consumers!>> Suzy in AK>> >> . What is everyone paying for eggs???>>>>>>>>>>>>> PLEASE BE KIND AND

TRIM YOUR POSTS WHEN REPLYING!> Visit our Raw Dairy Files for a wealth of information!> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RawDairy/files/>> Archive search: http://onibasu.com>>>

Guest guest

We are battling with this all the time. I am trying to set up account books for all our production like I have for our eggs so I know exactly what the inputs are and can make a price from there. We have to be careful to take into consideration regional economics when we do this too. If I have to charge more than the area I live in can sustain I guess I have to just start producing just for me.

Debbie ChikouskyManitoba, Canadagdchik@..."The person who wants something will find a way. The person who doesn’t will find an excuse."

Re: dairy farm in PA can't keep up with demand!> The way I have it figured is that it should take about 3 dozen eggs> to pay for a sack of feed. At that rate the chickens pay for their> feed, kick in for the electricity to keep their coop warm & lit, & > keep us in eggs (2-3 doz./wk). So in '04 when feed cost $9 - $10 a> sack I charged $3.00 a dozen. Feed was up to $12-$13 a sack by '06 & I> charged $4.00 a dozen. Now, thanks to ethanol hiking up the price of> corn and $3.00/gal. gas hiking up everything else, I'm about to go to> $5.00 a dozen to pay for feed that has gone up to $15-$16 for a 50-lb.> sack. It sounds pretty shocking, but I do know that people in town> (Anchorage) are already currently spending $6.00 for a dozen eggs at> weekly farmers' markets, and eggs sell out early in the day -- yet> another example of the growing number of consumers who are willing to> pay more for fresher, locally grown food. Which up here is a plenty> of a challenge for both producers and consumers!>> Suzy in AK>> >> . What is everyone paying for eggs???>>>>>>>>>>>>> PLEASE BE KIND AND TRIM YOUR POSTS WHEN REPLYING!> Visit our Raw Dairy Files for a wealth of information!> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RawDairy/files/>> Archive search: http://onibasu.com>>>

Guest guest

We are battling with this all the time. I am trying to set up account books for all our production like I have for our eggs so I know exactly what the inputs are and can make a price from there. We have to be careful to take into consideration regional economics when we do this too. If I have to charge more than the area I live in can sustain I guess I have to just start producing just for me.

Debbie ChikouskyManitoba, Canadagdchik@..."The person who wants something will find a way. The person who doesn’t will find an excuse."

Re: dairy farm in PA can't keep up with demand!> The way I have it figured is that it should take about 3 dozen eggs> to pay for a sack of feed. At that rate the chickens pay for their> feed, kick in for the electricity to keep their coop warm & lit, & > keep us in eggs (2-3 doz./wk). So in '04 when feed cost $9 - $10 a> sack I charged $3.00 a dozen. Feed was up to $12-$13 a sack by '06 & I> charged $4.00 a dozen. Now, thanks to ethanol hiking up the price of> corn and $3.00/gal. gas hiking up everything else, I'm about to go to> $5.00 a dozen to pay for feed that has gone up to $15-$16 for a 50-lb.> sack. It sounds pretty shocking, but I do know that people in town> (Anchorage) are already currently spending $6.00 for a dozen eggs at> weekly farmers' markets, and eggs sell out early in the day -- yet> another example of the growing number of consumers who are willing to> pay more for fresher, locally grown food. Which up here is a plenty> of a challenge for both producers and consumers!>> Suzy in AK>> >> . What is everyone paying for eggs???>>>>>>>>>>>>> PLEASE BE KIND AND TRIM YOUR POSTS WHEN REPLYING!> Visit our Raw Dairy Files for a wealth of information!> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RawDairy/files/>> Archive search: http://onibasu.com>>>

Guest guest