sessions a week earned a trip to Jamba Juice or on alternate weeks, a

local burger joint. At the beginning of training we established a

dollar amount to spend toward an agreed upon purchase at the end of

40 sessions. In addition, he knew that willingness to train with

simple visual and auditory feedback would eventually lead to the

chance to train with DVDs or graphically sophisticated games. This

kind of reward also worked toward keeping him engaged in the

process. As others have mentioned, once the benefits of training are

apparent, there is more willingness to train.

Let us know what works for you.

Jane

>

> You hit the nail on the head. Depending on what the persons needs

are and what you are training is how you " challenge " the brain. I am

doing the same thing. There is no " feedback " necessarily from the

games or activity the client is doing. I also do not give an activity

right away as otherwise the person has difficulty getting auditory

feedback especially if the task is very challenging for them. But I

do work the brain hard while they are in my chairs. With kids that

are coming in that have a hard time focusing and they are training

the C4 - you the typical ADHD or ADD person then give them something

that they would not normally be able to focus on. This is like a

double challenge for the brain. Because not only does the brain have

to work at doing the NFB trainingon the computer by getting the tones

but it is trying to do something that will work against them getting

the fedback which challenges the brain further.  I hope this makes

some kind of

> sense. It made sense in my mind and it seem to work wonderfully in

my office for those that can participate in doing these challenges.

>  

>

Guest guest

Hi Liz---

Since you are working with your own teen, you might want to introduce

a rewards system. What motivates him? For our teen, three NF

Jane

>

some kind of

>  

>

Guest guest

Hi Liz---

Since you are working with your own teen, you might want to introduce

a rewards system. What motivates him? For our teen, three NF

Jane

>

some kind of

>  

>

Guest guest

Thanks. This is all very interesting and I'm glad I'm having a chance

to hear and think about these issues before starting training with my

son, so I can work out more of a structure before we begin.

He has trouble with " follow through " in general (part of that whole

ADHD picture, of course), gets very enthusiastic at the beginning of

something (obsessive, if he likes it), but then things lose their

" magic " and quickly become a chore, so it will be good to work out

something like short- and long-term rewards (the " big picture " ).

Liz

> >

> > You hit the nail on the head. Depending on what the persons needs

> are and what you are training is how you " challenge " the brain. I am

> doing the same thing. There is no " feedback " necessarily from the

> games or activity the client is doing. I also do not give an activity

> right away as otherwise the person has difficulty getting auditory

> feedback especially if the task is very challenging for them. But I

> do work the brain hard while they are in my chairs. With kids that

> are coming in that have a hard time focusing and they are training

> the C4 - you the typical ADHD or ADD person then give them something

> that they would not normally be able to focus on. This is like a

> double challenge for the brain. Because not only does the brain have

> to work at doing the NFB trainingon the computer by getting the tones

> but it is trying to do something that will work against them getting

> the fedback which challenges the brain further. I hope this makes

> some kind of

> > sense. It made sense in my mind and it seem to work wonderfully in

> my office for those that can participate in doing these challenges.

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

,DON"T give up yet! Give it a few more casts.My son, , had a series of 6 casts over 14 months. Only about 4 of the 6 did he get great improvement. Of course he was much younger and did NOT have a Mehta trained doc, but his doc did managed to get him down to 19-21 degrees from 34. After 5 casts his doctor was ready to move on the the brace. was got his 6th and final cast and a mold made for his brace at the same time. He did improve to 15 degrees, but I wish we had gone for 1 or 2 more casts. I know it is frustrating, but it is such a small window of time compared to her whole life. Casting is a S L O W, gentle process. I know for I wish I would have pushed for 1 or 2 more casts. is

now in a brace.Go with your gut!!!As far as weight, has always been very lean. He eats like a horse, but rarely gains weight. He will be 5 in April and maybe weighs 35 lbs.Wish I had that kid's metabolism! TashaMommy of 4 year old twin boys- and Fort Worth, TexasSeries of 6 casts for 14 months and now in a night brace. is treated at Texas ish Rite Hospital.You can read 's story at....http://www.infantilescoliosis.org/stories.htmlFrom: laur92en To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Thu, January 21, 2010 10:05:28 PMSubject: Need Advice Hello all, my 3 year old daughter is in her 6th cast and she unfortunately she did not get any correction in her last 2 casts. She started with a 62 degree curve and is down to 24. My husband is feeling frustrated and wants to stop the casting. I say we should keep going. The other concern is that my daughter only weighs about 25 pounds, so we are concerned. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks 's mom

Guest guest

,DON"T give up yet! Give it a few more casts.My son, , had a series of 6 casts over 14 months. Only about 4 of the 6 did he get great improvement. Of course he was much younger and did NOT have a Mehta trained doc, but his doc did managed to get him down to 19-21 degrees from 34. After 5 casts his doctor was ready to move on the the brace. was got his 6th and final cast and a mold made for his brace at the same time. He did improve to 15 degrees, but I wish we had gone for 1 or 2 more casts. I know it is frustrating, but it is such a small window of time compared to her whole life. Casting is a S L O W, gentle process. I know for I wish I would have pushed for 1 or 2 more casts. is

now in a brace.Go with your gut!!!As far as weight, has always been very lean. He eats like a horse, but rarely gains weight. He will be 5 in April and maybe weighs 35 lbs.Wish I had that kid's metabolism! TashaMommy of 4 year old twin boys- and Fort Worth, TexasSeries of 6 casts for 14 months and now in a night brace. is treated at Texas ish Rite Hospital.You can read 's story at....http://www.infantilescoliosis.org/stories.htmlFrom: laur92en To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Thu, January 21, 2010 10:05:28 PMSubject: Need Advice Hello all, my 3 year old daughter is in her 6th cast and she unfortunately she did not get any correction in her last 2 casts. She started with a 62 degree curve and is down to 24. My husband is feeling frustrated and wants to stop the casting. I say we should keep going. The other concern is that my daughter only weighs about 25 pounds, so we are concerned. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks 's mom

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi,

First of all - congrats on the correction! I know it's frustrating that you haven't seen any lately though. I would ask your doctor about 's rotation. If there is still rotation - I would continue casting.~Noah 4 1/2 years old9 months of casting in SLC; Currently on 1 1/2 years of bracing at 6* in braceAnd Mariella 11 months old - resolved Infantile Scoliosis

To: infantile_scoliosis From: laur92en@...Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 04:05:28 +0000Subject: Need Advice

Hello all, my 3 year old daughter is in her 6th cast and she unfortunately she did not get any correction in her last 2 casts. She started with a 62 degree curve and is down to 24. My husband is feeling frustrated and wants to stop the casting. I say we should keep going. The other concern is that my daughter only weighs about 25 pounds, so we are concerned. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks's mom

Hotmail: Free, trusted and rich email service. Get it now.

Guest guest

Hi,

First of all - congrats on the correction! I know it's frustrating that you haven't seen any lately though. I would ask your doctor about 's rotation. If there is still rotation - I would continue casting.~Noah 4 1/2 years old9 months of casting in SLC; Currently on 1 1/2 years of bracing at 6* in braceAnd Mariella 11 months old - resolved Infantile Scoliosis

To: infantile_scoliosis From: laur92en@...Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 04:05:28 +0000Subject: Need Advice

Hello all, my 3 year old daughter is in her 6th cast and she unfortunately she did not get any correction in her last 2 casts. She started with a 62 degree curve and is down to 24. My husband is feeling frustrated and wants to stop the casting. I say we should keep going. The other concern is that my daughter only weighs about 25 pounds, so we are concerned. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks's mom

Guest guest

Hi,

Guest guest

Another thing to remember...sorry, I'm going to talk about "O's" again, lol...is that when you have a child with a medical issue, you must look beyond the "height and weight" charts and only look at your childs own. As long as they are following their own curve, they are healthy. Our children are not "average" children. They may have pain, they may have lots of things going on emotionally, stress, etc., that "average" children do not. Any and all of those things can cause their growth to be "different" than an "average" child.

When Grace was born, she was 8 lbs 4 oz. She was a healthy weight and size. She had surgery on her abdomen the day after she was born to put her liver back inside. She wasn't allowed anything by mouth for the first 5 days of her life. We were discharged from the hospital when she was only 9 days old (this was a record short stay at our hospital for a baby with an "O"). They had anticipated she would stay for 3-4 months. When we were released, Grace weighed 8 lbs on the dot. She never dropped below that point even with all she had been through. However, they made us go in every other day for weight checks because they expected her to gain 2 oz every other day. I was so worried she wasn't healthy all the times they lectured me to feed her more. She couldn't eat more. SHe ate every 2-3 hours and if she ate more than her 2-3 oz, she would lose

it. At one point, one doctor even MADE me breast feed her in front of him so he could see that she was eating. I was mortified. When we finally were able to get back to our regular pediatrician, she told me that Grace was doing fine. She showed me her chart and showed me that Grace was just on her own curve.

Grace is a petite 30 lbs and is almost 3 1/2. I say petite because she is so tall, without her cast she looks like the air could blow her away! But more importantly, she is healthy. "O" babies tend to be lower weights because we feel they digest differently than "average" people do. Because their abdomens are usually tighter, we think it make cause discomfort for them to get too full, kind of like having gastric by-pass and having a smaller stomach to hold the food.

I have still worried about Grace's weight at various times, but the doctor always shows me her curve and she's right on target for her "own" chart.

Hope this helps in some way.

Jane

To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Fri, January 22, 2010 4:42:11 AMSubject: Re: Need Advice

By the way, my son is barely 30 lbs and is over 3 years old.Our Ped told us it's "genetics" and not to worry. I am a petite person and my husband is only 5'8".....

Ask your Dr but as long as she is going upward on her growth chart then she just may be very petite...I think they start to worry when the child loses weight and stops growing completley. Plus we were also told that Hayden is short b/c of the curvature, that makes sense to me.... Joanmom to Hayden 343 degrees down from 62Cast number 3Treated at ish Rite Hospital Dallas, TX

From: laur92en <laur92enyahoo (DOT) com>To: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comSent: Thu, January 21, 2010 10:05:28 PMSubject: [infantile_scoliosi s] Need Advice

Guest guest

This is exactly what my Ped says.. As long as they stay on target with their OWN curve on the chart, they are fine...

Cannot believe that Dr made you nurse in front of him... what a PERV...lol Joanmom to Hayden 343 degrees down from 62Cast number 3Treated at ish Rite Hospital Dallas, TX

To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Fri, January 22, 2010 10:16:48 AMSubject: Re: Need Advice

Another thing to remember...sorry, I'm going to talk about "O's" again, lol...is that when you have a child with a medical issue, you must look beyond the "height and weight" charts and only look at your childs own. As long as they are following their own curve, they are healthy. Our children are not "average" children. They may have pain, they may have lots of things going on emotionally, stress, etc., that "average" children do not. Any and all of those things can cause their growth to be "different" than an "average" child.

When Grace was born, she was 8 lbs 4 oz. She was a healthy weight and size. She had surgery on her abdomen the day after she was born to put her liver back inside. She wasn't allowed anything by mouth for the first 5 days of her life. We were discharged from the hospital when she was only 9 days old (this was a record short stay at our hospital for a baby with an "O"). They had anticipated she would stay for 3-4 months. When we were released, Grace weighed 8 lbs on the dot. She never dropped below that point even with all she had been through. However, they made us go in every other day for weight checks because they expected her to gain 2 oz every other day. I was so worried she wasn't healthy all the times they lectured me to feed her more. She couldn't eat more. SHe ate every 2-3 hours and if she ate more than her 2-3 oz, she would lose

it. At one point, one doctor even MADE me breast feed her in front of him so he could see that she was eating. I was mortified. When we finally were able to get back to our regular pediatrician, she told me that Grace was doing fine. She showed me her chart and showed me that Grace was just on her own curve.

Grace is a petite 30 lbs and is almost 3 1/2. I say petite because she is so tall, without her cast she looks like the air could blow her away! But more importantly, she is healthy. "O" babies tend to be lower weights because we feel they digest differently than "average" people do. Because their abdomens are usually tighter, we think it make cause discomfort for them to get too full, kind of like having gastric by-pass and having a smaller stomach to hold the food.

I have still worried about Grace's weight at various times, but the doctor always shows me her curve and she's right on target for her "own" chart.

Jane

From: Joan Vallee <hayro1611yahoo (DOT) com>To: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comSent: Fri, January 22, 2010 4:42:11 AMSubject: Re: [infantile_scoliosi s] Need Advice

By the way, my son is barely 30 lbs and is over 3 years old.Our Ped told us it's "genetics" and not to worry. I am a petite person and my husband is only 5'8".....

Ask your Dr but as long as she is going upward on her growth chart then she just may be very petite...I think they start to worry when the child loses weight and stops growing completley. Plus we were also told that Hayden is short b/c of the curvature, that makes sense to me.... Joanmom to Hayden 343 degrees down from 62Cast number 3Treated at ish Rite Hospital Dallas, TX

From: laur92en <laur92enyahoo (DOT) com>To: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comSent: Thu, January 21, 2010 10:05:28 PMSubject: [infantile_scoliosi s] Need Advice

Guest guest

I don't really pay attenchen to the charts. Thaddues is only 16 lbs and he will be 1 yr tomorrow. He is also average height. Our doc isn't consurned at all as long as he's growing.Sent from my iPhone

Jane

From: Joan Vallee <hayro1611>To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Fri, January 22, 2010 4:42:11 AMSubject: Re: Need Advice

By the way, my son is barely 30 lbs and is over 3 years old..Our Ped told us it's "genetics" and not to worry. I am a petite person and my husband is only 5'8".....

Hello all, my 3 year old daughter is in her 6th cast and she unfortunately she did not get any correction in her last 2 casts. She started with a 62 degree curve and is down to 24. My husband is feeling frustrated and wants to stop the casting. I say we should keep going. The other concern is that my daughter only weighs about 25 pounds, so we are concerned.. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks's mom

Guest guest

I don't really pay attenchen to the charts. Thaddues is only 16 lbs and he will be 1 yr tomorrow. He is also average height. Our doc isn't consurned at all as long as he's growing.Sent from my iPhone

Jane

From: Joan Vallee <hayro1611>To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Fri, January 22, 2010 4:42:11 AMSubject: Re: Need Advice

By the way, my son is barely 30 lbs and is over 3 years old..Our Ped told us it's "genetics" and not to worry. I am a petite person and my husband is only 5'8".....

Hello all, my 3 year old daughter is in her 6th cast and she unfortunately she did not get any correction in her last 2 casts. She started with a 62 degree curve and is down to 24. My husband is feeling frustrated and wants to stop the casting. I say we should keep going. The other concern is that my daughter only weighs about 25 pounds, so we are concerned.. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks's mom

Guest guest

Jane

Guest guest

I was the same way with my boys. Of course as twins they were always smaller than most their age, but I didn't freak out over the charts.Their pediatrician wasn't too concerned as long as they were maintaining that weight. TashaMommy of 4 year old twin boys- and Fort Worth, TexasSeries of 6 casts for 14 months and now in a night brace. is treated at Texas ish Rite Hospital.You can read 's story at....http://www.infantilescoliosis.org/stories.htmlFrom: To: "infantile_scoliosis " <infantile_scoliosis >Sent: Fri, January 22, 2010 10:54:44 AMSubject: Re: Need Advice

I don't really pay attenchen to the charts. Thaddues is only 16 lbs and he will be 1 yr tomorrow. He is also average height. Our doc isn't consurned at all as long as he's growing.Sent from my iPhoneOn Jan 22, 2010, at 8:16 AM, Jane Bigler <janemharyahoo (DOT) com> wrote:

Jane

From: Joan Vallee <hayro1611yahoo (DOT) com>To: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comSent: Fri, January 22, 2010 4:42:11 AMSubject: Re: [infantile_scoliosi s] Need Advice

Guest guest

I was the same way with my boys. Of course as twins they were always smaller than most their age, but I didn't freak out over the charts.Their pediatrician wasn't too concerned as long as they were maintaining that weight. TashaMommy of 4 year old twin boys- and Fort Worth, TexasSeries of 6 casts for 14 months and now in a night brace. is treated at Texas ish Rite Hospital.You can read 's story at....http://www.infantilescoliosis.org/stories.htmlFrom: To: "infantile_scoliosis " <infantile_scoliosis >Sent: Fri, January 22, 2010 10:54:44 AMSubject: Re: Need Advice

I don't really pay attenchen to the charts. Thaddues is only 16 lbs and he will be 1 yr tomorrow. He is also average height. Our doc isn't consurned at all as long as he's growing.Sent from my iPhoneOn Jan 22, 2010, at 8:16 AM, Jane Bigler <janemharyahoo (DOT) com> wrote:

Jane

Guest guest

Jane

Guest guest

This is interesting. Liam was about 17lbs at 1yr. Last time we checked was at 16 months and he was 19lbs, less than 5%. But in height he is at 60%!!! He gains 1/2lb a month no matter what.

We see a GI but they haven't worried too much so far as long as he doesn't stop gaining. Also, growing in height is a good sign. We are feeding him DUOCAL (a high calorie tasteless powder that we put on everything). It might be working, but it hasn't been a miracle either.

To: "infantile_scoliosis " <infantile_scoliosis >Sent: Fri, January 22, 2010 11:54:44 AMSubject: Re: Need Advice

I don't really pay attenchen to the charts. Thaddues is only 16 lbs and he will be 1 yr tomorrow. He is also average height. Our doc isn't consurned at all as long as he's growing.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 22, 2010, at 8:16 AM, Jane Bigler <janemharyahoo (DOT) com> wrote:

Jane

Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!

Guest guest

Lol, I guess I paid more attention to them because my son was always off the charts for everything, including height that when Grace was so low on the charts it stood out more to me. Also keep in mind that the charts for girls are different than boys.

Jane

To: "infantile_scoliosis " <infantile_scoliosis >Sent: Fri, January 22, 2010 8:54:44 AMSubject: Re: Need Advice

I don't really pay attenchen to the charts. Thaddues is only 16 lbs and he will be 1 yr tomorrow. He is also average height. Our doc isn't consurned at all as long as he's growing.

Sent from my iPhone

Jane

Guest guest

Lol, I guess I paid more attention to them because my son was always off the charts for everything, including height that when Grace was so low on the charts it stood out more to me. Also keep in mind that the charts for girls are different than boys.

Jane

To: "infantile_scoliosis " <infantile_scoliosis >Sent: Fri, January 22, 2010 8:54:44 AMSubject: Re: Need Advice

Sent from my iPhone

Jane

Guest guest

My 3 yr old just got her 8th cast off and is in a TLSO brace. She started with

77 degrees and was down to 24 but back to 50 by the time this brace was put on.

She is also a tiny thing...24 lbs. My 13 month old and her weigh exactly the

same. She does get a high calorie Pediasure a day for extra calories but once

that cast came off OMG my baby is skinny! So we are trying to put some meat on

her, one way or another...I am short at 5'2 but hubby is 6'2 so who knows if

it's genetics or scoliosis/casting...I don't know what I would do...Probably

keep casting. If my daughter's curve doesn't hold with the brace I am

suggesting another round of casting...

>

> Hello all, my 3 year old daughter is in her 6th cast and she unfortunately she

did not get any correction in her last 2 casts. She started with a 62 degree

curve and is down to 24. My husband is feeling frustrated and wants to stop the

casting. I say we should keep going. The other concern is that my daughter

only weighs about 25 pounds, so we are concerned. Can anyone give me some

advice? Thanks

>

> 's mom

>

Guest guest

>

> Hello all, my 3 year old daughter is in her 6th cast and she unfortunately she

advice? Thanks

>

> 's mom

>

Guest guest

>

advice? Thanks

>

> 's mom

>

Guest guest

Our two and a half year old is also very skinny! He is under 25 pounds, I'd say about 23 without the 3 pound cast, but in the 75th percentile for height. In our case, he is very healthy, just a skinny type. Hope that helps. Heidi, Bexon's Mama, (2.5 years old, in 5th cast from Salt Lake City Shriners, currently down from 61 degrees to 23)

To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Fri, January 22, 2010 7:53:08 PMSubject: Re: Need Advice

My 3 yr old just got her 8th cast off and is in a TLSO brace. She started with 77 degrees and was down to 24 but back to 50 by the time this brace was put on. She is also a tiny thing...24 lbs. My 13 month old and her weigh exactly the same. She does get a high calorie Pediasure a day for extra calories but once that cast came off OMG my baby is skinny! So we are trying to put some meat on her, one way or another...I am short at 5'2 but hubby is 6'2 so who knows if it's genetics or scoliosis/casting. ..I don't know what I would do...Probably keep casting. If my daughter's curve doesn't hold with the brace I am suggesting another round of casting...>> Hello all, my 3 year old daughter is in her 6th cast and

she unfortunately she did not get any correction in her last 2 casts. She started with a 62 degree curve and is down to 24. My husband is feeling frustrated and wants to stop the casting. I say we should keep going. The other concern is that my daughter only weighs about 25 pounds, so we are concerned. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks> > 's mom>