Guest guest

Re: checking in

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I'm doing okay. I was in the same boat about 2 years ago, when both DH and I

were laid off within 6 weeks of each other. We survived. There were lessons

learned then that we won't repeat, such as wasting the days away. (Depression

tends to make a person lethargic.) We had also put away a lot more money in the

last year, just in case this did happen again. (I was against that, but I'm glad

he overruled me!)

I have a lot more of my work published on the web now where prospective

employers can see it, which is good for me!

Here's one example:

http://www.precisionhardware.com/media/T83703a.pdf

Not exactly a best seller, but it's what I do as an engineering technical

writer. (Yes, I wrote this from " scratch. " ) I have a lot more examples out

there, too. With my earlier employer, people needed a password to get to the

manuals.

Thanks for asking!

Indyrose

> > >

> > > Hi there,

> > >

> > > I went down for the count starting last Saturday. I wake up feeling so

> > bad I

> > > can't do my morning workouts. It's not overtraining. I know what that

> > feels

> > > like. I couldn't miss work, so I plowed through, and then came home and

> > > crashed early each night.

> > >

> > > I walked between 2 to 3.5 miles most days just getting to and from work,

> > and

> > > couldn't even carve out the time for yoga. My head wanted to explode (not

> > > migraine) and I started thinking my blood pressure had gone nuts. I saw

> > my

> > > new doctor today. I really liked her. She listens. My BP was 103/75, so

> > I'm

> > > not going to blow a gasket. She did a full physical and tons of labs

> > because

> > > my symptoms are odd. My appetite is OK, though.

> > >

> > > My doc thinks that I got hit with a virus, but she also saw stuff that

> > made

> > > her suspect a thyroid problem or some other metabolic thing. I have no

> > clue.

> > > I just know I feel really bad, but a tiny bit better each day. I'm off

> > > tomorrow. I think I can do yoga tomorrow. It'll be OK.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

That's fantastic! Very impressive, Indyrose. You have a wonderful skill. I wish all manuals were that clear. I'm glad you have a bit of a safety net. 

I'm doing okay. I was in the same boat about 2 years ago, when both DH and I were laid off within 6 weeks of each other. We survived. There were lessons learned then that we won't repeat, such as wasting the days away. (Depression tends to make a person lethargic.) We had also put away a lot more money in the last year, just in case this did happen again. (I was against that, but I'm glad he overruled me!)

I have a lot more of my work published on the web now where prospective employers can see it, which is good for me!

Here's one example:

Not exactly a best seller, but it's what I do as an engineering technical writer. (Yes, I wrote this from " scratch. " ) I have a lot more examples out there, too. With my earlier employer, people needed a password to get to the manuals.

Thanks for asking!

Indyrose

> > >

> > > Hi there,

> > >

> > bad I

> > feels

> > >

> > and

> > my

> > I'm

> > because

> > >

> > made

> > clue.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

That's fantastic! Very impressive, Indyrose. You have a wonderful skill. I wish all manuals were that clear. I'm glad you have a bit of a safety net. 

I'm doing okay. I was in the same boat about 2 years ago, when both DH and I were laid off within 6 weeks of each other. We survived. There were lessons learned then that we won't repeat, such as wasting the days away. (Depression tends to make a person lethargic.) We had also put away a lot more money in the last year, just in case this did happen again. (I was against that, but I'm glad he overruled me!)

I have a lot more of my work published on the web now where prospective employers can see it, which is good for me!

Here's one example:

Not exactly a best seller, but it's what I do as an engineering technical writer. (Yes, I wrote this from " scratch. " ) I have a lot more examples out there, too. With my earlier employer, people needed a password to get to the manuals.

Thanks for asking!

Indyrose

> > >

> > > Hi there,

> > >

> > bad I

> > feels

> > >

> > and

> > my

> > I'm

> > because

> > >

> > made

> > clue.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Here's one example:

Thanks for asking!

Indyrose

> > >

> > > Hi there,

> > >

> > bad I

> > feels

> > >

> > and

> > my

> > I'm

> > because

> > >

> > made

> > clue.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Thanks! My feet are still oddly swollen, but they're not as poofy as yesterday. So strange.

I'm glad to hear the good news and that you're feeling at least a little better!

checking in

Hi there,

I went down for the count starting last Saturday. I wake up feeling so bad I can't do my morning workouts. It's not overtraining. I know what that feels like. I couldn't miss work, so I plowed through, and then came home and crashed early each night.

I walked between 2 to 3.5 miles most days just getting to and from work, and couldn't even carve out the time for yoga. My head wanted to explode (not migraine) and I started thinking my blood pressure had gone nuts. I saw my new doctor today. I really liked her. She listens. My BP was 103/75, so I'm not going to blow a gasket. She did a full physical and tons of labs because my symptoms are odd. My appetite is OK, though.

My doc thinks that I got hit with a virus, but she also saw stuff that made her suspect a thyroid problem or some other metabolic thing. I have no clue. I just know I feel really bad, but a tiny bit better each day. I'm off tomorrow. I think I can do yoga tomorrow. It'll be OK.

Guest guest

Thanks! My feet are still oddly swollen, but they're not as poofy as yesterday. So strange.

I'm glad to hear the good news and that you're feeling at least a little better!

checking in

Hi there,

I went down for the count starting last Saturday. I wake up feeling so bad I can't do my morning workouts. It's not overtraining. I know what that feels like. I couldn't miss work, so I plowed through, and then came home and crashed early each night.

I walked between 2 to 3.5 miles most days just getting to and from work, and couldn't even carve out the time for yoga. My head wanted to explode (not migraine) and I started thinking my blood pressure had gone nuts. I saw my new doctor today. I really liked her. She listens. My BP was 103/75, so I'm not going to blow a gasket. She did a full physical and tons of labs because my symptoms are odd. My appetite is OK, though.

My doc thinks that I got hit with a virus, but she also saw stuff that made her suspect a thyroid problem or some other metabolic thing. I have no clue. I just know I feel really bad, but a tiny bit better each day. I'm off tomorrow. I think I can do yoga tomorrow. It'll be OK.

Guest guest

checking in

Hi there,

Guest guest

Ahhh you bring back memories! I was a tech writer & editor, then an instructional systems designer all primarily in the auto industry for almost 10 years (BK). I started by writing service manuals for GM cars, that's where I met my DH too. I worked with mechanical, electrical & software engineers for a long time after that too, doing CAD software manuals and training programs. Mine was all so long ago that none of it is on the web, in fact, computers were just starting to be used in a widespread way for documentation when I first started!! Most of my stuff outside of the shop manuals was considered proprietary too so none of it can be shown outside of the company for whom I wrote. Then again, it was so long ago that they're probably not using the same technolgy so it might be fine to show it around! ;-) Not that I'm looking to get back into it at this point, but I've thought about it (not recently though). Your book looks really clean and easy to use, Indy! I think prospective employers will be impressed!

I'm doing okay. I was in the same boat about 2 years ago, when both DH and I were laid off within 6 weeks of each other. We survived. There were lessons learned then that we won't repeat, such as wasting the days away. (Depression tends to make a person lethargic.) We had also put away a lot more money in the last year, just in case this did happen again. (I was against that, but I'm glad he overruled me!)I have a lot more of my work published on the web now where prospective employers can see it, which is good for me!Here's one example:http://www.precisionhardware.com/media/T83703a.pdfNot exactly a best seller, but it's what I do as an engineering technical writer. (Yes, I wrote this from "scratch.") I have a lot more examples out there, too. With my earlier employer, people needed a password to get to the manuals.Thanks for asking!Indyrose> > >> > > Hi there,> > >> > > I went down for the count starting last Saturday. I wake up feeling so> > bad I> > > can't do my morning workouts. It's not overtraining. I know what that> > feels> > > like. I couldn't miss work, so I plowed through, and then came home and> > > crashed early each night.> > >> > > I walked between 2 to 3.5 miles most days just getting to and from work,> > and> > > couldn't even carve out the time for yoga. My head wanted to explode (not> > > migraine) and I started thinking my blood pressure had gone nuts. I saw> > my> > > new doctor today. I really liked her. She listens. My BP was 103/75, so> > I'm> > > not going to blow a gasket. She did a full physical and tons of labs> > because> > > my symptoms are odd. My appetite is OK, though.> > >> > > My doc thinks that I got hit with a virus, but she also saw stuff that> > made> > > her suspect a thyroid problem or some other metabolic thing. I have no> > clue.> > > I just know I feel really bad, but a tiny bit better each day. I'm off> > > tomorrow. I think I can do yoga tomorrow. It'll be OK.> > >> > > > > >> >> > > >>

Guest guest

Ahhh you bring back memories! I was a tech writer & editor, then an instructional systems designer all primarily in the auto industry for almost 10 years (BK). I started by writing service manuals for GM cars, that's where I met my DH too. I worked with mechanical, electrical & software engineers for a long time after that too, doing CAD software manuals and training programs. Mine was all so long ago that none of it is on the web, in fact, computers were just starting to be used in a widespread way for documentation when I first started!! Most of my stuff outside of the shop manuals was considered proprietary too so none of it can be shown outside of the company for whom I wrote. Then again, it was so long ago that they're probably not using the same technolgy so it might be fine to show it around! ;-) Not that I'm looking to get back into it at this point, but I've thought about it (not recently though). Your book looks really clean and easy to use, Indy! I think prospective employers will be impressed!

I'm doing okay. I was in the same boat about 2 years ago, when both DH and I were laid off within 6 weeks of each other. We survived. There were lessons learned then that we won't repeat, such as wasting the days away. (Depression tends to make a person lethargic.) We had also put away a lot more money in the last year, just in case this did happen again. (I was against that, but I'm glad he overruled me!)I have a lot more of my work published on the web now where prospective employers can see it, which is good for me!Here's one example:http://www.precisionhardware.com/media/T83703a.pdfNot exactly a best seller, but it's what I do as an engineering technical writer. (Yes, I wrote this from "scratch.") I have a lot more examples out there, too. With my earlier employer, people needed a password to get to the manuals.Thanks for asking!Indyrose> > >> > > Hi there,> > >> > > I went down for the count starting last Saturday. I wake up feeling so> > bad I> > > can't do my morning workouts. It's not overtraining. I know what that> > feels> > > like. I couldn't miss work, so I plowed through, and then came home and> > > crashed early each night.> > >> > > I walked between 2 to 3.5 miles most days just getting to and from work,> > and> > > couldn't even carve out the time for yoga. My head wanted to explode (not> > > migraine) and I started thinking my blood pressure had gone nuts. I saw> > my> > > new doctor today. I really liked her. She listens. My BP was 103/75, so> > I'm> > > not going to blow a gasket. She did a full physical and tons of labs> > because> > > my symptoms are odd. My appetite is OK, though.> > >> > > My doc thinks that I got hit with a virus, but she also saw stuff that> > made> > > her suspect a thyroid problem or some other metabolic thing. I have no> > clue.> > > I just know I feel really bad, but a tiny bit better each day. I'm off> > > tomorrow. I think I can do yoga tomorrow. It'll be OK.> > >> > > > > >> >> > > >>

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thanks for the kind words! I started as an engineer, and when management found

out I was an engineer that can write, I was channeled that way. When I left

industry to be a stay at home mom, we were still using draftsmen and blueprints.

When I returned 12 years later, everything was CAD.

I love doing the CAD stuff. I can do all the other tasks of a project engineer,

too. Working in a small shop for seven years, we all had to wear many hats. I

also like working in manufacturing, seeing raw materials arrive and leave as a

finished item.

I hope the economy has picked up enough that I can get back in quicker than I

did last time. It took almost 8 months to find the position I just lost.

Indyrose

> > > >

> > > > Hi there,

> > > >

> > > > I went down for the count starting last Saturday. I wake up feeling so

> > > bad I

> > > > can't do my morning workouts. It's not overtraining. I know what that

> > > feels

> > > > like. I couldn't miss work, so I plowed through, and then came home

and

> > > > crashed early each night.

> > > >

> > > > I walked between 2 to 3.5 miles most days just getting to and from

work,

> > > and

> > > > couldn't even carve out the time for yoga. My head wanted to explode

(not

> > > > migraine) and I started thinking my blood pressure had gone nuts. I

saw

> > > my

> > > > new doctor today. I really liked her. She listens. My BP was 103/75,

so

> > > I'm

> > > > not going to blow a gasket. She did a full physical and tons of labs

> > > because

> > > > my symptoms are odd. My appetite is OK, though.

> > > >

> > > > My doc thinks that I got hit with a virus, but she also saw stuff that

> > > made

> > > > her suspect a thyroid problem or some other metabolic thing. I have no

> > > clue.

> > > > I just know I feel really bad, but a tiny bit better each day. I'm off

> > > > tomorrow. I think I can do yoga tomorrow. It'll be OK.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

industry to be a stay at home mom, we were still using draftsmen and blueprints.

finished item.

Indyrose

> > > >

> > > > Hi there,

> > > >

> > > bad I

> > > feels

and

> > > >

work,

> > > and

(not

saw

> > > my

so

> > > I'm

> > > because

> > > >

> > > made

> > > clue.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

finished item.

Indyrose

> > > >

> > > > Hi there,

> > > >

> > > bad I

> > > feels

and

> > > >

work,

> > > and

(not

saw

> > > my

so

> > > I'm

> > > because

> > > >

> > > made

> > > clue.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

You are a rare and wonderful breed, an engineer who can put a sentence together in a meaningful way! I don't mean to insult other engineers out there but most of them know what I mean too! I got into tech writing completely by accident (met a guy at a wedding who offered me a job) and learned to translate engineeringese into language for other human beings and also to translate software engineeringese (and others, mechanical and electrical too) into language engineers outside of their fields could also easily understand. I also learned to take apart and put together some parts of cars (to do the service manuals) though I'd done some of that with male friends already. It is good to know you were able to come back after 12 years, into a very changed environment. When I think about going back, after 13 years home with my kids (I've done other things part-time totally outside of my original field, like I'm doing now), I stop because so much has changed with computers that I don't know much about but going from draftsmen to CAD is also a HUGE change so maybe, if I decide I want to, I can catch up. When I started, they were transitioning from draftsmen to CAD. We also had keyliners doing the production work on the books instead of doing it with computers and then they eventually wanted the tech writers to do all the layout as well as all the research and writing, I hated that partly because it put so many talented people out of work and I had to learn to do layout when all I wanted to do was write. At this point though, as much as I wish our income was back where it was before DH was laid off in 2008 (and hired into another industry at a much lower pay a few months later, which we are still grateful to have), I'm not ready to try and relaunch my instructional design/tech writing career. I like what I'm doing and we're getting along well enough. It is still good to know someone has done something similar though.

Around here, I think the economy is picking up for engineers, especially ones with as many talents as you have, Indy. I hear about job fairs and the autos are starting to hire again. It still isn't great but there are positive signs at least. I hope there are many more where you are (which is outside of Detroit & Michigan so I'm assuming it has to be even better elsewhere since we seem to be at the epicenter of the economic collapse).

Thanks for the kind words! I started as an engineer, and when management found out I was an engineer that can write, I was channeled that way. When I left industry to be a stay at home mom, we were still using draftsmen and blueprints. When I returned 12 years later, everything was CAD.I love doing the CAD stuff. I can do all the other tasks of a project engineer, too. Working in a small shop for seven years, we all had to wear many hats. I also like working in manufacturing, seeing raw materials arrive and leave as a finished item.I hope the economy has picked up enough that I can get back in quicker than I did last time. It took almost 8 months to find the position I just lost.Indyrose> > > >> > > > Hi there,> > > >> > > > I went down for the count starting last Saturday. I wake up feeling so> > > bad I> > > > can't do my morning workouts. It's not overtraining. I know what that> > > feels> > > > like. I couldn't miss work, so I plowed through, and then came home and> > > > crashed early each night.> > > >> > > > I walked between 2 to 3.5 miles most days just getting to and from work,> > > and> > > > couldn't even carve out the time for yoga. My head wanted to explode (not> > > > migraine) and I started thinking my blood pressure had gone nuts. I saw> > > my> > > > new doctor today. I really liked her. She listens. My BP was 103/75, so> > > I'm> > > > not going to blow a gasket. She did a full physical and tons of labs> > > because> > > > my symptoms are odd. My appetite is OK, though.> > > >> > > > My doc thinks that I got hit with a virus, but she also saw stuff that> > > made> > > > her suspect a thyroid problem or some other metabolic thing. I have no> > > clue.> > > > I just know I feel really bad, but a tiny bit better each day. I'm off> > > > tomorrow. I think I can do yoga tomorrow. It'll be OK.> > > >> > > > > > > >> > >> > > > > >> >>

Guest guest

You are a rare and wonderful breed, an engineer who can put a sentence together in a meaningful way! I don't mean to insult other engineers out there but most of them know what I mean too! I got into tech writing completely by accident (met a guy at a wedding who offered me a job) and learned to translate engineeringese into language for other human beings and also to translate software engineeringese (and others, mechanical and electrical too) into language engineers outside of their fields could also easily understand. I also learned to take apart and put together some parts of cars (to do the service manuals) though I'd done some of that with male friends already. It is good to know you were able to come back after 12 years, into a very changed environment. When I think about going back, after 13 years home with my kids (I've done other things part-time totally outside of my original field, like I'm doing now), I stop because so much has changed with computers that I don't know much about but going from draftsmen to CAD is also a HUGE change so maybe, if I decide I want to, I can catch up. When I started, they were transitioning from draftsmen to CAD. We also had keyliners doing the production work on the books instead of doing it with computers and then they eventually wanted the tech writers to do all the layout as well as all the research and writing, I hated that partly because it put so many talented people out of work and I had to learn to do layout when all I wanted to do was write. At this point though, as much as I wish our income was back where it was before DH was laid off in 2008 (and hired into another industry at a much lower pay a few months later, which we are still grateful to have), I'm not ready to try and relaunch my instructional design/tech writing career. I like what I'm doing and we're getting along well enough. It is still good to know someone has done something similar though.

Around here, I think the economy is picking up for engineers, especially ones with as many talents as you have, Indy. I hear about job fairs and the autos are starting to hire again. It still isn't great but there are positive signs at least. I hope there are many more where you are (which is outside of Detroit & Michigan so I'm assuming it has to be even better elsewhere since we seem to be at the epicenter of the economic collapse).

Thanks for the kind words! I started as an engineer, and when management found out I was an engineer that can write, I was channeled that way. When I left industry to be a stay at home mom, we were still using draftsmen and blueprints. When I returned 12 years later, everything was CAD.I love doing the CAD stuff. I can do all the other tasks of a project engineer, too. Working in a small shop for seven years, we all had to wear many hats. I also like working in manufacturing, seeing raw materials arrive and leave as a finished item.I hope the economy has picked up enough that I can get back in quicker than I did last time. It took almost 8 months to find the position I just lost.Indyrose> > > >> > > > Hi there,> > > >> > > > I went down for the count starting last Saturday. I wake up feeling so> > > bad I> > > > can't do my morning workouts. It's not overtraining. I know what that> > > feels> > > > like. I couldn't miss work, so I plowed through, and then came home and> > > > crashed early each night.> > > >> > > > I walked between 2 to 3.5 miles most days just getting to and from work,> > > and> > > > couldn't even carve out the time for yoga. My head wanted to explode (not> > > > migraine) and I started thinking my blood pressure had gone nuts. I saw> > > my> > > > new doctor today. I really liked her. She listens. My BP was 103/75, so> > > I'm> > > > not going to blow a gasket. She did a full physical and tons of labs> > > because> > > > my symptoms are odd. My appetite is OK, though.> > > >> > > > My doc thinks that I got hit with a virus, but she also saw stuff that> > > made> > > > her suspect a thyroid problem or some other metabolic thing. I have no> > > clue.> > > > I just know I feel really bad, but a tiny bit better each day. I'm off> > > > tomorrow. I think I can do yoga tomorrow. It'll be OK.> > > >> > > > > > > >> > >> > > > > >> >>

Guest guest

There's a new twist in the industry that's rising right now, too! We're going to

all-graphical (or at least mostly) instructions as much as possible, especially

for assembly procedures. This way a product can be marketed globally without

much translation. I was converting a large number of instruction sheets to that

style, which will probably never be published now.

Oh well... I guess I'll try to drop the remaining 20 lbs that I want gone, color

my gray hair, make a new portfolio, and get ready for the (hated!!) interview

process...

Indyrose

> > > > >

> > > > > Hi there,

> > > > >

> > > > > I went down for the count starting last Saturday. I wake up feeling

so

> > > > bad I

> > > > > can't do my morning workouts. It's not overtraining. I know what

that

> > > > feels

> > > > > like. I couldn't miss work, so I plowed through, and then came home

and

> > > > > crashed early each night.

> > > > >

> > > > > I walked between 2 to 3.5 miles most days just getting to and from

work,

> > > > and

> > > > > couldn't even carve out the time for yoga. My head wanted to explode

(not

> > > > > migraine) and I started thinking my blood pressure had gone nuts. I

saw

> > > > my

> > > > > new doctor today. I really liked her. She listens. My BP was 103/75,

so

> > > > I'm

> > > > > not going to blow a gasket. She did a full physical and tons of labs

> > > > because

> > > > > my symptoms are odd. My appetite is OK, though.

> > > > >

> > > > > My doc thinks that I got hit with a virus, but she also saw stuff

that

> > > > made

> > > > > her suspect a thyroid problem or some other metabolic thing. I have

no

> > > > clue.

> > > > > I just know I feel really bad, but a tiny bit better each day. I'm

off

> > > > > tomorrow. I think I can do yoga tomorrow. It'll be OK.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

There's a new twist in the industry that's rising right now, too! We're going to

all-graphical (or at least mostly) instructions as much as possible, especially

for assembly procedures. This way a product can be marketed globally without

much translation. I was converting a large number of instruction sheets to that

style, which will probably never be published now.

Oh well... I guess I'll try to drop the remaining 20 lbs that I want gone, color

my gray hair, make a new portfolio, and get ready for the (hated!!) interview

process...

Indyrose

> > > > >

> > > > > Hi there,

> > > > >

> > > > > I went down for the count starting last Saturday. I wake up feeling

so

> > > > bad I

> > > > > can't do my morning workouts. It's not overtraining. I know what

that

> > > > feels

> > > > > like. I couldn't miss work, so I plowed through, and then came home

and

> > > > > crashed early each night.

> > > > >

> > > > > I walked between 2 to 3.5 miles most days just getting to and from

work,

> > > > and

> > > > > couldn't even carve out the time for yoga. My head wanted to explode

(not

> > > > > migraine) and I started thinking my blood pressure had gone nuts. I

saw

> > > > my

> > > > > new doctor today. I really liked her. She listens. My BP was 103/75,

so

> > > > I'm

> > > > > not going to blow a gasket. She did a full physical and tons of labs

> > > > because

> > > > > my symptoms are odd. My appetite is OK, though.

> > > > >

> > > > > My doc thinks that I got hit with a virus, but she also saw stuff

that

> > > > made

> > > > > her suspect a thyroid problem or some other metabolic thing. I have

no

> > > > clue.

> > > > > I just know I feel really bad, but a tiny bit better each day. I'm

off

> > > > > tomorrow. I think I can do yoga tomorrow. It'll be OK.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>