RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

RE: I am fine!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I agree with hanging on to the old things that were so grand. My grandparents never took me camping or hiking and yet they had a big impact on my life. I did not ever realize how much they affected me till I became a grandparent also. My children only had my mother for a grandparent and she lived several states away from us. How sad for them. It makes me feel bad now.

I remember green and blue fireflies when I was small in Idaho...never saw them in WA. It seemed to me they made a small noise as well...like electricity zapping. Does anyone remember that?

Jane

Guest guest

the only time I have been camping alone was at a KOA and I was MISERABLE but very safe. I slept in my van, so I was locked in at night. The reason I was so miserable is that the camping spots were right next to each other and people would talk to me and I was there to be alone lol and did not really want to talk to anyone. Right down to the woman next to me commenting on how I was cooking my breakfast [it was the first time I had ever cooked on a campfire]. Just not my idea of fun. The solace was that I was able to run off to the beach everyday.

When I go hiking, I am going to bring my dog with me :)Lindy

Guest guest

LaurieIf you EVER want a hiking partner, let me know. You hike like I do :)I have backed off on my walking because of an injury and I don't know if I could hike a mile at this point but I would be willing to try :)

I'm in Oregon tooLindy

Guest guest

In one thread we are lamenting the lost of old ways of doing things. "we used to do this or that and we lived."

In another thread we are giving Jane suggestions for changes to prevent her recent experience from being repeated.

But it's this type of thinking that has lost us the "good" old ways of doing things. Stuff happens.

Perhaps it is best to suck up some things and go on living.

Some changes are good and are smart, some …………..

Just something to think about

Elaine

Guest guest

When taking dogs on the trail it is wise to check ahead as to possible restrictions. The state park where I took my kids when they were growing up has a section of the Pacific Crest Trail running through it but anyone who has a dog has to circle around it as dogs are not allowed in the park. They actually have a trail where you can go back onto the PCT called Dog Trail.

I am concerned about the attractive power of a dog to a wild animal as well. In addition I go out to escape for a short time from responsibilities and taking a dog would be a distraction for me. I love leaving the top of my tent open and laying there watching the stars at night. It is not skinny dipping (done that too...shhhh don't tell!) but it is a very peaceful feeling and very relaxing.

I have never been really afraid out there. A certain amount of respect for where you are is necessary I think. It is their place, not yours. I take care not to put my tent up on a road or a trail. And definitely give water a wide access. Animals like to walk where we do, it is easy. So I will eat at one place, keep my camp small and out of the way, and do whatever needed to give them the right of way. Which is one reason they did not find many signs of my passing when they were searching for me. ( Low or No impact hiking).

Lindy, I agree with you on the campgrounds. They are often like that. Being alone is not going to happen! And thank you, I believe my grand kids will be more balanced. We live in a world with so much fear that it is sad. It keeps so many people from doing things. I used to hike with my kids and they don't do it any more. I finally figured out if I did not go alone I would never get to go. So I did, and I love it. Even when I get lost!

lol

Elaine, I agree. We learn from things we do. I learned from this experience and as my husband says, I strap it on my belt and go on!

Maggie, that is too funny about the fish!

Meglet, way to go! we want to read it when you are ready to share!

Jane

Guest guest

My parents used to take us camping. My mother had never camped before marrying my step-father. He used to get a big kick out of her because she would line our sleeping bags with white sheets, make us sleep on cots inside a tent, sweep and rake our campsite (and then get bawled out by the ranger because the pine needles keep the dust down). There was a long green runner leading from our pick up truck to the tent. She was big on us not getting dirty...lol We never had hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill. She would fix fried chicken or pot roast or corned beef and all the fixings and take it with us in coolers. Our family outings were so great and full of memories. I didn't learn what true camping was until I got married. BOY was I surprised when I found out my husband's idea of camping was laying on bare ground and taking along a can of beans and a can opener...hahaha

Maggie

I agree with hanging on to the old things that were so grand. My grandparents never took me camping or hiking and yet they had a big impact on my life. I did not ever realize how much they affected me till I became a grandparent also. My children only had my mother for a grandparent and she lived several states away from us. How sad for them. It makes me feel bad now.

I remember green and blue fireflies when I was small in Idaho...never saw them in WA. It seemed to me they made a small noise as well...like electricity zapping. Does anyone remember that?

Jane

Guest guest

But some things are worth keeping! God grant us the wisdom to know the difference and pass on to the younger ones those things which are wonderful .... like fireflies in the dark, and hiking with grandmother in the wilderness.

This morning, my younger son came by for me and we walked (in 92 degree heat, no less) further than I had in months, certainly further than I ever thought I could. I have made up my mind that by October my dogs and I will be somewhere in western North Carolina hiking and camping. Maybe not to the top of a mountain, or any long distance, but living in a tent and walking every day. Like Steve, getting out there and making the effort.

W.

Re: Re: I am fine!

In one thread we are lamenting the lost of old ways of doing things. "we used to do this or that and we lived."

In another thread we are giving Jane suggestions for changes to prevent her recent experience from being repeated.

But it's this type of thinking that has lost us the "good" old ways of doing things. Stuff happens. Perhaps it is best to suck up some things and go on living.

Some changes are good and are smart, some …………..

Just something to think about

Elaine

Guest guest

Yayyyyyy !!!!!!

It's so much better, and easier it seems, to walk with dogs than to just walk. When I walk around the streets in my neighborhood that is lined with homes, it's just drudgery. But when I dog-sit and walk a dog or walk in a wooded area, it's so joyful.

Elaine

But some things are worth keeping! God grant us the wisdom to know the difference and pass on to the younger ones those things which are wonderful .... like fireflies in the dark, and hiking with grandmother in the wilderness.

This morning, my younger son came by for me and we walked (in 92 degree heat, no less) further than I had in months, certainly further than I ever thought I could.

I have made up my mind that by October my dogs and I will be somewhere in western North Carolina hiking and camping. Maybe not to the top of a mountain, or any long distance, but living in a tent and walking every day. Like Steve, getting out there and making the effort.

W.

Guest guest

Yes it is Elaine. They have packs now you can put on your dog and let him carry his own food.but still, if you are going to be out there long it could be a real hassle. And a lot of weight.

We slept outside as well. I still do with my grand kids. When we cannot go camping for some reason or other we will often just spread out blankets and pillows on the porch and sleep outside. My husband and I used to put our mattress out in the desert and sleep out and watch the bats swooping and then enjoy the stars. It was great.

I believe God meant us to enjoy his creation and that is what I do. On this hike there was a moth, a very pretty one, that insisted on flying all over me. I got several pictures of it. Also I was sitting still at one point and looked down to see the tiniest little flowers growing there. They were perfect. No bigger then the end of a pencil.

There is so much to see and hear. I never get tired of it.

Jane

Guest guest

Jane, if you took a dog, you'd have to carry dog food as well. That's heavy.

While you are on the PCT, do you encounter many other hikers?

I love sleeping outside. I live in an apartment but if I had a private yard, I'd sleep outside. That's what we did as kids. When we slept over certain friends' house, we even slept in the yard where we weren't too far from the street and within sight of anyone passing by. No matter how hot the night (in the house where we didn't have air conditioning) it was never too hot to sleep outside. Always comfortable. Again the good old days. Now, anyone could find me sleeping outside as they would hear me snoring miles away.

Elaine

When taking dogs on the trail it is wise to check ahead as to possible restrictions. The state park where I took my kids when they were growing up has a section of the Pacific Crest Trail running through it but anyone who has a dog has to circle around it as dogs are not allowed in the park. They actually have a trail where you can go back onto the PCT called Dog Trail.

I am concerned about the attractive power of a dog to a wild animal as well. In addition I go out to escape for a short time from responsibilities and taking a dog would be a distraction for me. I love leaving the top of my tent open and laying there watching the stars at night. It is not skinny dipping (done that too...shhhh don't tell!) but it is a very peaceful feeling and very relaxing.

I have never been really afraid out there. A certain amount of respect for where you are is necessary I think. It is their place, not yours. I take care not to put my tent up on a road or a trail. And definitely give water a wide access. Animals like to walk where we do, it is easy. So I will eat at one place, keep my camp small and out of the way, and do whatever needed to give them the right of way. Which is one reason they did not find many signs of my passing when they were searching for me. ( Low or No impact hiking).

Lindy, I agree with you on the campgrounds. They are often like that. Being alone is not going to happen! And thank you, I believe my grand kids will be more balanced. We live in a world with so much fear that it is sad. It keeps so many people from doing things. I used to hike with my kids and they don't do it any more. I finally figured out if I did not go alone I would never get to go. So I did, and I love it. Even when I get lost!

lol

Elaine, I agree. We learn from things we do. I learned from this experience and as my husband says, I strap it on my belt and go on!

Maggie, that is too funny about the fish!

Meglet, way to go! we want to read it when you are ready to share!

Jane

Guest guest

I love to sleep outside too. I cannot wait for the weather to break a bit more here ... I have a tree with " my name on it " to sleep under this summer. I am actually going to take my bed (it is a twin, I am very single lol) down there and get one of those huge blue plastic bags at harbor freight and put my mattress in it, and just use my regular bedding and sleep outside under the tree for the summer. this weekend I am heading to the coast to camp :) I fear I am taking far too many blankets... but oh well lolLindy

Guest guest

i forget where in Oregon you said. I hike at the falls in the Gorge

most of the time. I want to do the Multnomah Falls to Larch Mountain

run, it's 5 1/2 miles up and then i want to ride my bike back down the

scenic hwy.

so the bike is out of mothballs and sitting in the living room and i'm

trying to get up to the falls 2 times a week to build up my stamina.

but i'm sick again! the minute my son went back to day care he caught

the bug again. we keep getting this same bug over and over again. i

am contemplating pulling him out of daycare again. he loves it though

and it gives him structure and schooling and interaction with kids his

own age. so maybe in a couple weeks after my cousins court date adn i

find out what his punishment is going to be. i'll pull him out for 2

weeks and we'll go have some fun.

laurie

>

> Laurie

> If you EVER want a hiking partner, let me know. You hike like I do :)

> I have backed off on my walking because of an injury and I don't

know if I

> could hike a mile at this point but I would be willing to try :)

> I'm in Oregon too

>

> Lindy

>