I am new to this site, and hoping I can find some answers to my son's

reaction to MB12 shots.

My son is usually on the hyper-side, but immediately after getting a

MB12 shot he became tired and miserable. The little boy who usually

can't sit still for therapy would just lie there like a zombie. He

would be at his worst for the day after the shot, and get better as

time went on. Furthermore, he was very thirsty, seemed to get a

yellow tinge to his skin (no change in diet to cause this), and had

less language attempts than when he was not taking the shots.

I did do some Yasko genetic testing and know that my son is an

undermethylator and that he requires the least amount of B12 support

due to no mutations in this pathway.

Does anyone have any idea why my son would react this way to the

shots? Would it be wise to try the nasal spray, or would I probably

get similar results?

Thank you for any insight.

Michele

Guest guest

In order to properlly respond to (and in many cases to just "tolerate MB12") MB12, you need basic support in place -- the most important being zinc -- up to two times his body weight each day. Personally, I would stop the MB12 for almost 2 months, get the right supplement support in place, and then restart MB12. Given your other test results, he should tolerate it much better. The problem is not the MB12, it is the supplements (or lack there of). At a minimum, you will need the following in place before even trying to start MB12: 1. Zinc monomethionine or zinc picolinate 2. Taurine 3. Magnesium sulfate (we use Kirkman's magnesium sulfate cream and apply it 4 times per day) 4. Selenium 5. B6 6. Folinic and if not tolerated folate If you have a DAN, you should ask for dosing

suggestions -- otherwise let us know your son's weight and age and we can help with dosing. The only zinc that worked for my son and me and allowed my son to tolerate MB12 was zinc monomethionine. It was also the only form which got rid of the little white lines on my nails that had been there most of my life. But I would start with the zinc and go very very slowly with each meal. Divide it up into 3-4 doses per day. You can safely use up to 2 times his body weight each day == but do not start there as you will only get vomitting. It also tastes pretty nasty, so we had to start with putting it in 7-up -- I know that is horrid but that is what it took to get it down. He now takes it in pear juice just fine. There should be some short-term negative side effects that last 4-6 months, but these should be short lived and accompanied by gains. Given everything else, it means that his body does

not have the minimum tools it needs to start to detox and when you try to get the process going, you are depleting what might be considered all ready depleted resources. Best wishes Verageorgies_mama wrote: Hi,I am new to this site, and hoping I can find some answers to my son's reaction to MB12 shots. My son is usually on the hyper-side, but immediately after getting a MB12 shot he became tired and miserable. The little boy who

usually can't sit still for therapy would just lie there like a zombie. He would be at his worst for the day after the shot, and get better as time went on. Furthermore, he was very thirsty, seemed to get a yellow tinge to his skin (no change in diet to cause this), and had less language attempts than when he was not taking the shots. I did do some Yasko genetic testing and know that my son is an undermethylator and that he requires the least amount of B12 support due to no mutations in this pathway. Does anyone have any idea why my son would react this way to the shots? Would it be wise to try the nasal spray, or would I probably get similar results?Thank you for any insight.Michele

Guest guest

Michele, we have found that folinic or folic acid 800 mg daily was very necessary for the MB12 to work properly. If your son doesn't like the tablets, it is also available in capsules. Also be sure he takes his daily vitamin/nutritional support to be sure all other mineral levels have support. Also, the dosage may be too high. Talk to your DAN about this and see if either a reduction in the amount OR reduction in the number of shots can help your little guy tolerate this better. Good luck, Amygeorgies_mama wrote: Hi,I am new to this site, and hoping I can find some answers to my son's reaction to MB12 shots. My son is usually on the hyper-side, but immediately after getting a MB12 shot he became tired and miserable. The little boy who usually can't sit still for therapy would just lie there like a zombie. He would be at his worst for the day after the shot, and get better as time went on. Furthermore, he was very thirsty, seemed to get a yellow tinge to his skin (no change in diet to cause this), and had less language attempts than when he was not taking the shots. I did do some Yasko genetic testing and know that my son is an undermethylator and that he requires the least amount of B12 support due to no mutations in this pathway. Does anyone have any idea why my son would react this way to the

shots? Would it be wise to try the nasal spray, or would I probably get similar results?Thank you for any insight.Michele __________________________________________________

Guest guest

Thank you for the replies, Vera and Amy. I read this and thought,

YIKES! My son was on folinic acid at the time, but that was all. He

wasn't taking zinc even though he was in the low red for zinc. He is

not on any multi.

Would the MB12 shots have such a quick reaction on minerals, etc.?

Literally, my son got his first shot at his DAN doctor's office, and

an hour later he was making a loud whining sound, crying, and not

wanting to play at the park (unusual for him). When Jon has a bad

reaction to things, they do tend to be fast. But usually he gets

hyper. and stimmy, never ever tired before.

Thank you for the info. I will look into supplementing with these

vitamins and perhaps give it a try again.

Michele

> Hi,

>

> I am new to this site, and hoping I can find some answers to my

son's

> reaction to MB12 shots.

>

> My son is usually on the hyper-side, but immediately after getting

a

> MB12 shot he became tired and miserable. The little boy who usually

> can't sit still for therapy would just lie there like a zombie. He

> would be at his worst for the day after the shot, and get better as

> time went on. Furthermore, he was very thirsty, seemed to get a

> yellow tinge to his skin (no change in diet to cause this), and had

> less language attempts than when he was not taking the shots.

>

> I did do some Yasko genetic testing and know that my son is an

> undermethylator and that he requires the least amount of B12

support

> due to no mutations in this pathway.

>

> Does anyone have any idea why my son would react this way to the

> shots? Would it be wise to try the nasal spray, or would I probably

> get similar results?

>

> Thank you for any insight.

>

> Michele

>

Guest guest

Michele, there are some children that just do not do well on MB12. I have been reading and following Dr. Amy Yasko's work and I'm reading/seeing that there are kids with a certain gene mutation that should NOT have MB12, no matter what mineral support is there. Your son may be (sounds like!) one of them. www.autismanswer.com That may shed some more light on this for you. MB12 has been an excellent addition for us, my son has a diagnosis of dyspraxia and it has greatly helped his eye contact which was an issue. We're 95% there.......Hoping ALA is going to take us to 100%. Good luck~ Amygeorgies_mama wrote: Thank you for the replies, Vera and Amy. I read this and thought, YIKES! My son was on folinic acid at the time, but that was all. He wasn't taking zinc even though he was in the low red for zinc. He is not on any multi.Would the MB12 shots have such a quick reaction on minerals, etc.? Literally, my son got his first shot at his DAN doctor's office, and an hour later he was making a loud whining sound, crying, and not wanting to play at the park (unusual for him). When Jon has a bad reaction to things, they do tend to be fast. But usually he gets hyper. and stimmy, never ever tired before.Thank you for the info. I will

look into supplementing with these vitamins and perhaps give it a try again.Michele> Hi,> > I am new to this site, and hoping I can find some answers to my son's > reaction to MB12 shots. > > My son is usually on the hyper-side, but immediately after getting a > MB12 shot he became tired and miserable. The little boy who usually > can't sit still for therapy would just lie there like a zombie. He > would be at his worst for the day after the shot, and get better as > time went on. Furthermore, he was very thirsty, seemed to get a

> yellow tinge to his skin (no change in diet to cause this), and had > less language attempts than when he was not taking the shots. > > I did do some Yasko genetic testing and know that my son is an > undermethylator and that he requires the least amount of B12 support > due to no mutations in this pathway. > > Does anyone have any idea why my son would react this way to the > shots? Would it be wise to try the nasal spray, or would I probably > get similar results?> > Thank you for any insight.> > Michele> __________________________________________________

Guest guest

Hello,

Yes, I have read some of Yasko's site and her book that comes with

the genetic testing. According to genetics, my son needs the most

amount of methyl doners, but he wouldn't have a great need for B12.

I don't know if too much B12 can cause such a reaction.

I am glad the MB12 has helped your child. I know it can be a wonder

for some kids ... hoping it was for mine but not the case. I just

don't know if I should change the source or dose or add in other

supplements and try again. It was just odd to me that he became so

tired when I always think of B12 causing hyperness if anything.

Michele

> > Hi,

> >

> > I am new to this site, and hoping I can find some answers to my

> son's

> > reaction to MB12 shots.

> >

> > My son is usually on the hyper-side, but immediately after

getting

> a

> > MB12 shot he became tired and miserable. The little boy who

usually

> > can't sit still for therapy would just lie there like a zombie.

He

> > would be at his worst for the day after the shot, and get better

as

> > time went on. Furthermore, he was very thirsty, seemed to get a

> > yellow tinge to his skin (no change in diet to cause this), and

had

> > less language attempts than when he was not taking the shots.

> >

> > I did do some Yasko genetic testing and know that my son is an

> > undermethylator and that he requires the least amount of B12

> support

> > due to no mutations in this pathway.

> >

> > Does anyone have any idea why my son would react this way to the

> > shots? Would it be wise to try the nasal spray, or would I

probably

> > get similar results?

> >

> > Thank you for any insight.

> >

> > Michele

> >

>

>

>

>

>

> __________________________________________________

>

Guest guest

Hi As far as Yasko, I can not comment as we ended up not going that route, but if he is an undermethylator, then it seems that he should need MB12 or I may be missing something. You said you did the test and it indicates he would benefit, so I am going on that premise. I think given that reaction, most would stop and advise against pushing forward until you know better what is going on. My son is mainstreaming and MB12 were a huge source of that. We gave my son his first MB12 shot around midnight (while sleeping) and the next morning he was such a zombie he wandered into traffic -- very out of character -- and caused an accident. He did not even notice. Later he almost became pyschotic. I went to the Long Beach DAN to hear Dr. Neubrander and find out why might be having such a hard time on

MB12. Per Dr. Neubrander at the Long Beach DAN who developed the MB12 protocol, once you get the whole methylation process started you really really increase the need for zinc, magnesium, sulfate, B6, taurine, and selenium. If your child is alrready deficient, well, you can have a whole host of problems from psychotic behavior to becoming a complete zombie. We had to temporarily stop and up the zinc. We also added folinic at the exact same time we started MB12 and that was also a disaster. Per Dr. Neubrander, as many as 30% of children can not tolerate the folinic while on MB12 and must use folate instead. If anyone is going to try MB12, I always recommend starting zinc first and foremost, getting the levels up through testing, and then starting MB12. Also, if you are on TMG, get off immediately and then if you want, try to reintroduce later. There are a lot of other mistakes too. Per Dr. N., the problem is often (BUT NOT ALWAYS) not with the MB12, but in the lack of supplements in place. Per the Long Beach DAN, there are kids who started MB12 had no response (or even negative -- even with the support of zinc, taurine, magnesium sulfate, B6 and folinic and/or folate) and they comprise around 5-10% of the ASD population. ************ In summary, you need to get some supplements in place as well as an anti-oxidant before restarting the MB12. In the meantime, maybe you can consider the additional tests that may be required. I think everyone would agree that you need to go slowly with the supplements (in the beginning we took two weeks to add anything new). You can use this time to run any additional tests you feel are warranted before making a decision. My recommendation which is fairly standard DAN: -- First stop the folinic and then readd after 5 weeks on the MB12 (my recommendation only) 1. Strong anti-oxidants, throughout the day 2. Omega 3s like Cod liver oil or krill oil 3. Muti-vitamin with B support (go very very slowly here); some kids can not tolerate anthing in the B family. B tastes horrid and some are experimenting with a B cream. 4. Zinc monomthetionine (again go slowly) 5. Taurine -- to the extent not in the multi 6. Magnsium sulfate cream -- basically Epsom salt bath 7. selenium (if not in the multi) 8. Restart the MB12 if tests warrant it 9. Wait 5 weeks -- add back in folinic very very slowly Just my two cents. VeraAmethyst Mueller

wrote: Michele, there are some children that just do not do well on MB12. I have been reading and following Dr. Amy Yasko's work and I'm reading/seeing that there are kids with a certain gene mutation that should NOT have MB12, no matter what mineral support is there. Your son may be (sounds like!) one of them. www.autismanswer.com That may shed some more light on this for

you. MB12 has been an excellent addition for us, my son has a diagnosis of dyspraxia and it has greatly helped his eye contact which was an issue. We're 95% there.......Hoping ALA is going to take us to 100%. Good luck~ Amygeorgies_mama <babyjjmamahotmail> wrote: Thank you for the replies, Vera and Amy. I read this and thought, YIKES! My son was on folinic acid at the time, but that was all. He wasn't taking zinc even though he was in the low red for zinc. He is not on any multi.Would the MB12 shots have such a quick reaction on minerals, etc.? Literally, my son got his first shot at his DAN doctor's office, and an hour later he was making a loud whining sound, crying, and not wanting to play at the park

(unusual for him). When Jon has a bad reaction to things, they do tend to be fast. But usually he gets hyper. and stimmy, never ever tired before.Thank you for the info. I will look into supplementing with these vitamins and perhaps give it a try again.Michele> Hi,> > I am new to this site, and hoping I can find some answers to my son's > reaction to MB12 shots. > > My son is usually on the hyper-side, but immediately after getting a > MB12 shot he became tired and miserable. The little boy who usually > can't sit still for therapy

would just lie there like a zombie. He > would be at his worst for the day after the shot, and get better as > time went on. Furthermore, he was very thirsty, seemed to get a > yellow tinge to his skin (no change in diet to cause this), and had > less language attempts than when he was not taking the shots. > > I did do some Yasko genetic testing and know that my son is an > undermethylator and that he requires the least amount of B12 support > due to no mutations in this pathway. > > Does anyone have any idea why my son would react this way to the > shots? Would it be wise to try the nasal spray, or would I probably > get similar results?> > Thank you for any insight.> > Michele> __________________________________________________