RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Bromine in Kelp not Absorbed?? Re: Kelp/Bromine question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

> If iodine displaces bromine in the body (which I assume to be true since many posts have said increased iodine consumption causes bromine to be released causing some poisoning effects), would it also be possible that when iodine and bromine are consumed together (as in kelp), that iodine would displace bromine in the absorption process? So that when consuming kelp, the iodine is absorbed much more than bromine?

Sharon, you raise some very important questions. One of those questions is: How do iodine and bromine compete at the level of absorption into the cells?

I have read that there is competition between the iodine and the bromine at the level of the iodine receptor. My impression is that "what wins" (i.e, which element gets to attach to the receptor) is determined by the relative amounts of iodine and bromine in the blood -- a sort of lottery, with the odds favoring the most prevalent molecule.

Increasing the Iodine levels, assists with this competition, making it more likely that the iodine will "win".

What puzzles me is that bromine seems to be more common in the body than iodine, even without all the bromine pollutants. So does iodine (or its compounds) have some favored position (e.g., molecular weight) that gives it an advantage in the competition?

CAN SOMEONE WITH A MICROBIOLOGY BACKGROUND HELP US OUT HERE???

I assume that at the level of digestion, everything is digested (or absorbed), with no preference given to the bromines vs. the iodines. Is that accurate?

If my memory is correct, bromine is more common in seaweed than iodine. I think that is the reason there has been so much disagreement on the Japanese studies, with some people saying too much iodine is causing thyroid problems, while others are saying the problems are really due to the bromine.

So, what exactly are the effects of the consumption of kelp on the relative iodine and bromine in the body? Does it matter what the compounds are (e.g., I2, iodides, iodates, bromides, bromates, etc.)?

Sharon, you raise some very important questions.

Zoe

Guest guest

> CAN SOMEONE WITH A MICROBIOLOGY BACKGROUND HELP US OUT HERE???

>

> I assume that at the level of digestion, everything is digested (or

absorbed), with no preference given to the bromines vs. the iodines.

Is that accurate?

>

LOLOL...I got a micro degree and you can see it's not getting me far!

I'm in the thick of it with all of you!

I'm really wondering about these halides displacing each other. Zoe, I

think what you read makes sense. Flooding with iodine allows it to

attach before the bromide gets a chance...if I understand that right.

Also another unanswered question...why does it take so long for

bromide to clear? It's diffusing in and out of the cell if I

understand that part correctly...so is the iodine. Is it just a matter

of getting enough iodine in so that eventually there's no more room

left for bromide???

Here's another thought on iodine concentrated in milk? If the feed and

water has bromide in it then is it likely the milk will contain that

rather than iodine????

Lynn