Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: cirrhosis

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Just because you have a liver disease does not mean you will end up with

Cirrhosis. It is preventable....through diet and excersise. Fresh fruit and

vegetables free of pesticides, Plenty of clean water.... not tap water. And

keeping your colon clean is very important....

Hope this helps another Dixie, opinion........ Love and Light.... :-)

emily simpson wrote:

> From: emily simpson <esimpson7@...>

>

> Hello everyone,

>

> One of you stated that liver disease always ends in cirrhosis. I was just

> wondering if anyone is aware of the general time frame for progression? I

> know it probably varies a lot for each individual. I was just curious.

> >From what I understand from the doctor, Pred and Imuran do not solve the

> problem, but only bring down the inflammation. He says they also do nothing

> for any scarring that has taken place. I'm told I'm Stage 3 scarring, which

> means roughly how long before cirrhosis? I asked him, but he kind of dodged

> the question somehow!

>

>

>

> ---------------------------

Guest guest

In a message dated 2/10/02 7:24:53 PM Pacific Standard Time, seafarer52@... writes:

I guess I'm a little naive. I thought it was from drinking too much alcohol. Ann

Cirrhosis just means scarring of the liver. That scarring can happen in many ways; alcohol consumption is just one cause. Harper

Guest guest

Judy welcome to the group it's the best place to be if you have any questions just ask I am sure someone will be able to help. Let us know a bit more about yourself. Hugs jeanette UK dx AIH 1998 dx cirrhosis 2001 cathedralgaels2002 <omegaL@...> wrote: Just joined the group. I don't understand all the abbreviations. Do any of you have cirrhosis?Thankyou, Judy

Guest guest

Judy, I have the early stages of cirrhosis. Diagnosed 2000. I suffered from esophogeal hemorages and had a TIPS shunt placed in my liver.

There are those with even end stage cirrhosis who never "bleed out", my scarring is near the portal vein which caused my frequent bleeds to happen. I work part time and am on disability.

Jen :)

Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 01:32:40 -0000

Subject: [ ] cirrhosis

>

>

>

>

> Just joined the group.  I don't understand all the

> abbreviations.  Do

> any of you have cirrhosis?

>

> Thankyou, Judy

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Dear Judy,

I too have cirrhosis. I currently work a very stressful job and have been

advised to go out on disability. I have also had esophageal bleeds x 2.

Diagnosed with AIH 2 1/2 years ago and was slow to respond to normal

treatment. I have portal hypertention and am currently controlled on

medications. I take a lot of meds. My platelet count is low and my protime

is way out of the normal range. I manage very well except the fatigue which

is now becoming the most draining part.

Hope this info helps.

Guest guest

Hi Kelli I am JAn from Louiiana..Nice to meet you both..I went through TX once and was in remission I should say for a while but now it is back..My chouice is not to go back on TX..Depression I suffer with constantly and am on medicatin now for it and am afraid if I start TX it will make the depression mych worse..

I do wish you and your hubby the best and hjope by you writing it all down you feel somewhat better..This is a great group of people who give so much support especially when nyou feel you are lisong your mind..They have helped me so much and am totally grateful to them.

Welcome to the group and I hope to hear from you again..

Jan

[ ] cirrhosis

I've had HCV for 20 years give or take. Was diagnosed in 2001 as being chronic. I'd become symptomatic and couldn't work a full day anymore.I left work in Jan. 01'. In March, my husband who had always been healthy had a bleed and was diagnosed with cirrhosis. Our dog literally saved his life by standing on his chest barking until he woke up and got to the hospital.We were told he would have to get on the transplant list and our insurance at the time wanted to send us to a facility in L.A. I researched it and decided that CPMC (hi, Ken!) was the best fit for us. We tried to do it all from a distance but it wasn't working. We moved back to thee Bay Area in 2002. My husband started combo therapy in 2003. During that year, we lost our dog, my husband's father and mother. My husband almost lost his mind in the process.Initially he responded well; finished the treatment and relapsed. He will be having to

decide whether to do another round soon. He is Genotype 1a, I am 1b.We were involved in a support group before we moved. There was a person there who had just recently had a liver/kidney transplant after having been to hell and back for a number of years. We met his wife who worked through the entire thing, was always there for him and took care of the family. We asked him one time if she had Hepatitis. He said, "yes she did but had no problems with it". The discussions were always about him, his condition, his treatment. For some reason, I often thought of her after we moved.Since neither of us can work anymore we had to go through the whole SS, med-ical, medicare thing. He was found eligible immediately. I fought for 5 years, and finally got benefits this August. The only medical care I received during most of that time was what I could get without insurance which was minimal. My alt's and ast's have been

consistently high for a long time, but not alarming. I had a biopsy in 2003 and was told stage 2 fibrosis. At that time, there was no cause for alarm.Last year, we received word that the gal in support group with the transplanted husband had gotten sick, and was too far gone with liver cancer by the time she got treatment. There was nothing left to do for her and she died.My husband and I took that as a lesson to never, ever forget that no matter how sick one person may be, to never forget or neglect the other. When I didn't have the energy or stamina to fight with people over my lack of treatment, my husband picked up the ball. Trust me, you don't want to deal with a pissed off guy with encepalopathy who is on the war path.Finally, last year I fired my SS atty., put together everything I had, and on my second try was awarded benefits. It came at a cost though, my health has gotten a lot worse and

I spent the better part of the year with depression so bad that it affected every area of my life.I immediately started setting up appts with the Doctors, first being my Hepatologist. My labs, surprisingly enough are almost normal. Since I have felt so crappy, my Doctor ordered a CT scan. I had it done last Friday morning; the results came in the afternoon. Cirrhosis with Portal Hypertension.Maybe my Doctor already had a clue when she saw me and before the results came in, because she had set up an endoscopy, colonoscopy et. She wants me to get all these things out of the way and start treatment asap. There is a new drug being tested right now that is showing promising results in genotype 1.Everything is in place for a good outcome. I have the best Doctors, at the best facility, with the most cutting edge treatments available. The only thing for me right now is to work through the feelings and

emotions (and shock) of this news.I am 49 years old, my husband is 51. I am 19 years sober, he is 18. We have never known each-other loaded.We have two beautiful Grandchildren 7 and 4. Most of all we have a God who has not let us down yet.I guess I just needed to write it all down........Kelli