RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Re:My Daughter

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Marla, If she says the pain is bad enough to go to the ER it's probably best to go. Better safe than sorry and no 13 year old wants to go, but sometimes it's necessary. As far as the diet perhaps she should be on the intro until symptoms go away.. All the best. Please let us know how she is.

Ann,

Living in Italy

Undiagnosed Crohn's since 1977 Diagnosed 15 years

Sacroiliitis 25 years

Rheumatoid arthritis 25 years

Pyoderma Gangronosum 2 years

SCD since July, 2008

Meds: Tapering Prednisone for PG

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 5:07:17 PMSubject: Re:My Daughter

To everyone out there, I need your help!!!!!!!! !!!!!1

My 13 year old daughter has been on the diet since Sept., I believe. She has celiac disease, a thyroid condition, and an overgrowth of bacteria in her small intestine.

Lately, at times, she has alot of pain and poops a ton. It happens maybe once every 2 days. She also had some diarrhea a few times in the last week, which is very unusual for her. I think it was a supplement that we now stopped and I think it was butter, eggs in a recipe for Thanksgiving, that she really shouldn't have due to her food intolerance. The pain she says is bad enough to go to the ER but she's never said "let's go" and we haven't gone to the er.

Here's her usual diet in the day, plus all of her supplements. :

pancakes made from ground nuts, honey that is fine, and fruit

meat, vegetable, fruit for lunch and supper.

I just can't figure out what is causing this. If anyone has any idea, please let me know.

Marla

From: Wizop Marilyn L. Alm <LouisianaSCDLagniap pegmail (DOT) com>To: BTVC-SCD@yahoogroup s.comSent: Saturday, November 29, 2008 3:11:51 PMSubject: Re: Re: cocoa butter

At 01:40 AM 11/29/2008, you wrote:

I spent last evening reading through Elaine Gottschalls answers to SCD-eaters. She seems to have been a fiesty woman! I am confused about starch. I tried butternut squash again and it turned my guts into concrete again. I looked it up on the net and it is a very starchy vegetable. Why is it allowed on the SCD diet when sweet potatoes are not? This is a queston I would like to ask.

— Marilyn New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001 Darn Good SCD Cook No Human Children Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

Guest guest

Thanks to those who responded. I really do appreciate it.

She's not bad enough to go to er. Just that's how she describes it. Once she poops, she's ok. This morning was one of those times. She pooped and then was fine and we went to church. She's had anxiety for months and hasn't been to school yet this school year. Tomorrow she is going for 1 hour, FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!! With her, she has the brain bowel connection. She has anxiety due to the gut being messed up. So we see improvement in her physically and now it's time to gradually face her fears and get her back into school.

I mentioned she has a thyroid issue. It's not enough where she is on meds and the nutritionist has her on iodine in the meantime.

She's just achey alot of the time and doesn't feel 100% great. We thought once she'd be on this diet for a month or so, she'd feel alot better. Like I said, I see improvement, but not enough. This diet is hard enough for her. So it's VERY discouraging when you are eating what you are supposed to be eating, and then still have pains, etc.

I will have to look at the intro diet. Since she didn't start with diarrhea, we didn't really do the intro inSept. Her main symptom was her anxiety at the time.

I will say it once again that we thought the gluten free diet was hard. That was a piece of cake compared to this diet. I absolutely hate it. But like I also just said, it's somewhat do - able if you see great improvement. I don't see that. But maybe her going tomorrow to school should be my sign of great improvement. especially from where she was in Sept. and it was bad then. Sorry, I'm rambling. Sometimes it helps to write it out and it sorts it out for me.

Also, in answer to someone else's questions, - she does not have a fever, no blood in stool, etc. These pains happen every so often. and the diarrhea also. Lately, like every other day or so. But in order to be back at school, she needs to be functioning. Plus her anxiety peaks when she has the pains and/or diarrhea. It's all a vicious cycle. (no pun intended.)

Any other advice out there, let me know.

Thanks

Marla

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:52:54 PMSubject: Re:My Daughter

Does she have a fever? Is she vomiting? Any mucous or blood in stool?Is stool watery? Is she having chills at all?Have you spoken to a GI about her symptoms?With that said- if the pain is really bad is slowly getting worse andworse go to the ER.About trying to find the culprit;Food wise; go intro.. Review all supplements. Post it here andpeople can share experiences etc.Sometimes probiotics can make us worse when we are unwell.Keep nuts out of diet for a bit and see how she feels. Nuts canexacerbate symptoms many times.Also, is she drinking juice? What kind and are you diluting it reallywell? Sadly, non diluted juice can cause major D when we are stillhealing.. It bums me out as I love drinking juice straight up- Iconsider it one of the ultimate pleasures!The suggestion about the thyroid medication is right on- I got a lotof D when adjusting thyroid meds. Hang

in there and keep us posted about how she is doing!!JodiSCD 14 monthsCrohn's/Colitis

Guest guest

Hello Dusty!

For some reason I feel your daughter is similar

to me. She is so lucky to have a mother that is

trying different things and is supportive!

I might be imagining our similiarties, but in case

it is any help here are a few thing I have learned

about myself that might help your daughter

- the pain comes from the back muscles contracting,

getting ready to expel the poop. The pain is similar

to the pain during the first hours of labour.

It hurts bad, but it doesn't kill you and it stops instantly

as soon as the poop is out. The pain tells me a lot about

how " upset " my guts are with the food. Lots of pain =

I ate something they didn't like.

- I cannot mix different kinds of food, because my

stomache gets confused and then it stops digesting.

I can eat well-cooked veges with meat/fish. I can eat

sallad 30 mins before meat/fish. I need to wait at

least 1 hour after a meal if I want to eat honey (which

I eat best in the afternoon).

Apples are tricky - half an apple is more than enough

and never first thing in the morning. Fruit sallad is a

no-no. Grape juice doesn't work, fresh pineapple juice

is ok. I can eat a handful or two of nuts, but not more.

Pancakes made with nuts don't work for me. Soup is

a good breakfast for me as is a couple of ripe bananas.

- I need to follow the cupped-hand rule on portions.

One cupped hand should easily be able to hold the

meat/fish and two cupped hands should easily hold

the whole meal. More food, and my tummy quits!

Better then to split the meal into two parts, with

half an hour or so between each part (which is still

the traditional way to eat in southern Europe, where meals

often take several hours)

>I will say it once again that we thought the gluten free diet was hard.

>That

was a piece of cake compared to this diet. I absolutely hate it. <

LOL - you should try the paleodiet - that is a

restrictive diet! No food that you can't spear on

the end of a stick. No salt, coffee, tea, juice,

dried fruit, honey only occassionally,

eat as mush as raw as possible. LOL that was hard!!!

But seriously, SCD is not a hard diet to eat. The hard part

is giving up things you are used to. It always hurts to let

go of things. People like things to stay the same. Life

moves on and it hurts to change. We are all like that.

It can feel so unfair to see other people staying at a

place we have to move on from. But they have their

own changes and struggles. We all have them.

Cecilia

Guest guest

Thanks for the reply.

(My hubby is Dusty. I'm Marla. Just thought you should know. :)

The reason this diet is so hard is exactly what you emailed me. You can't eat apples for breakfast, etc. etc. How did you realize all of this stuff? I'm ready to chalk it all in but then what? As of last night, my husband and I are at the end of our ropes with all of this. She's having a real bad week with her stomach. She's never had diarrhea before so this is really concerning me. And then when she has D, her anxiety goes over the top. She went for 1 hour to school today for the first time all school year. But if she has D, she'll never be able to go. I still need help out there. Does anyone have suggestions? also, does anyone have a doctor that they would recommend that deals with celiac, thyroid, overgrowth of bacteria, anxiety, plus this diet? I'm in the Chicago area. I'd appreciate any help with that.

I just don't understand why all of a sudden, her stomach is worse than it was when we started the diet and why she has D all of a sudden.

Marla

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Monday, December 1, 2008 2:11:00 AMSubject: Re: Re:My Daughter

Hello Dusty!For some reason I feel your daughter is similarto me. She is so lucky to have a mother that istrying different things and is supportive!I might be imagining our similiarties, but in caseit is any help here are a few thing I have learnedabout myself that might help your daughter- the pain comes from the back muscles contracting,getting ready to expel the poop. The pain is similarto the pain during the first hours of labour.It hurts bad, but it doesn't kill you and it stops instantlyas soon as the poop is out. The pain tells me a lot abouthow "upset" my guts are with the food. Lots of pain =I ate something they didn't like.- I cannot mix different kinds of food, because mystomache gets confused and then it stops digesting.I can eat well-cooked veges with meat/fish. I can eatsallad 30 mins before meat/fish. I need to wait atleast 1 hour after a meal if I

want to eat honey (whichI eat best in the afternoon).Apples are tricky - half an apple is more than enoughand never first thing in the morning. Fruit sallad is ano-no. Grape juice doesn't work, fresh pineapple juiceis ok. I can eat a handful or two of nuts, but not more.Pancakes made with nuts don't work for me. Soup isa good breakfast for me as is a couple of ripe bananas.- I need to follow the cupped-hand rule on portions.One cupped hand should easily be able to hold themeat/fish and two cupped hands should easily holdthe whole meal. More food, and my tummy quits!Better then to split the meal into two parts, withhalf an hour or so between each part (which is stillthe traditional way to eat in southern Europe, where mealsoften take several hours)>I will say it once again that we thought the gluten free diet was hard. >Thatwas a piece of cake compared to this diet. I

absolutely hate it. <LOL - you should try the paleodiet - that is arestrictive diet! No food that you can't spear onthe end of a stick. No salt, coffee, tea, juice,dried fruit, honey only occassionally,eat as mush as raw as possible. LOL that was hard!!!But seriously, SCD is not a hard diet to eat. The hard partis giving up things you are used to. It always hurts to letgo of things. People like things to stay the same. Lifemoves on and it hurts to change. We are all like that.It can feel so unfair to see other people staying at aplace we have to move on from. But they have their own changes and struggles. We all have them.Cecilia

Guest guest

Someone please email me quick. I will do the chicken soup, but am confused with the details. Do I put in the celery, onion andparsley? It says not to be used at end of recipe and yet it's in the recipe? Also, does she eat the chicken in the soup? or is she just supposed to eat the broth with pureed carrots? So, no actual chicken pieces and no celery, onion and parsley? or do you cook with it and then take those 4 things out? Recipe is very unclear.

She can't have the cottage cheese because her intolerance is dairy. I don't know if I can give her an egg yolk since she has the D.

And I thought the actual diet was ridiculous. These next 5 days will be insane. No fruit and veggies will really be hard for her. Life stinks at times. As you can tell, I'm at a low point and low moment with this whole thing. Give me any other suggestions for the intro diet as this will be real hard and give me some encouragement out there. She has anxiety but I'm getting into a state of depression.

Marla

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Monday, December 1, 2008 9:03:54 PMSubject: Re:My Daughter

>As of last night, my husband and I are at the end of our ropes with all of this. She's >having a real bad week with her stomach. She's never had diarrhea before so this is >really concerning >me. And then when she has D, her anxiety goes over the top. She >went for 1 hour to school >today for the first time all school year. But if she has D, she'll >never be able to go. I still >need help out there. Does anyone have suggestions? At a guess, it's stress induced, from knowing she had to go to school. As it seemed to start just days before you had arranged to send her. And then it just feeds on itself, creating deeper stress when she has to deal with D as well.

And in the end, that cycle is going to get her what she wants, which is not to go to school and to make you take her off the diet, which you mentioned earlier that she dislikes and that she can clearly sense you are deeply frustrated with. So, on that level, the cycle is "working" for her. You do realize that people who jump into the diet without going through the intro diet and early stages are more likely to find it unsuccessful than people who start at the beginning and give it a proper try? That said, you really ought to try the bone broths and the chicken soups that are cooked for several hours. They are the best things for healing ill, anxious stomachs as they contain many minerals that help in healing including glucasomine and are naturally anti-inflammatory. Mara

Guest guest

I have more questions for all of you out there.

First of all, as of this morning, I'm starting to realize her D maybe the 3 month flare. We're in that timeframe with the diet, so it makes sense. We are starting the intro diet today. How long til the D stops on the intro diet? Also, with this chicken broth, do I take the chicken pieces out once it cooks for 4 hours? So, all she eats is the broth with pureed carrots, - is what I'm understanding. Is that right?

also, do I keep her on her supplements during the 5 day intro?

And as far as applesauce, - I know that it's not listed but she needs it in order to open her probiotic and other supplements as she can't swallow capsules. So can I still let her have a little applesauce to get the supplements in her?

Please email me back ASAP. I'm desperate at this point and on the verge of tears and just losing it. I honestly can't take much more. When it's happening to you, it's one thing. But when it's your kid and you're a mom who feels hopeless, it's very difficult.

As far as school, she went the last two days for 1 hour and is doing well with going. The anxiety is gut related, but it also is that she'll feel trapped in the class and can't get out if she has a panic attack, etc. The teachers, principal, nurse are all on board and have been wonderful. She can walk out of class at any time and go to the nurse. I'm actually sitting in the office while she's in class so there's comfort in that. It's all baby steps but this is a huge one this week with her going to class.

Marla

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Monday, December 1, 2008 9:44:23 PMSubject: Re:My Daughter

Hey Marla,I think Celcila really gave you some good info and also showed youjust how individual this process really is! Makes me want to pull myhair out sometimes... But really it is the best way to learn what wecan tolerate and get better.I was wondering on a different note why do you think your daughter isso anxiety ridden about going back to school? Do you think there aremultiple reasons for this?I know when I first got really sick I had a horrible time at school. It was such a socially awkward age.. Throw on top of that needing topoop at school I would get terrible anxiety. I would hold it in, Iwould cut class just to find a "solitary" toilet. And this is justthe aspects of dealing with the illness not even talking about otherthings..JodiSCD 14 monthsCrohn's/Colitis

Guest guest

---- Original message ----

>Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 09:01:17 -0800 (PST)

>

>Subject: Re: Re:My Daughter

>To: BTVC-SCD

>

> I have more questions for all of you out there.

> First of all, as of this morning, I'm starting to

> realize her D maybe the 3 month flare. We're in that

> timeframe with the diet, so it makes sense. We are

> starting the intro diet today. How long til the D

> stops on the intro diet?

It stops when it stops, we're all so different, there is no

rule. She doesn't have to stay on intro the whole time if the

D extends for a while; it's just a way to help clear her body out

of things that might be hard for her. Especially if she is in the

3 month flare, when the hard case bacteria have once again

multiplied and are aggravating her system.

Here is info on the intro GAPS diet (the one that Jodi mentioned)

which might give you more ideas about how to implement the

intro diet so that it is satisfying:

http://www.gapsdiet.com/INTRODUCTION_DIET.html

> Also, with this chicken

> broth, do I take the chicken pieces out once it

> cooks for 4 hours? So, all she eats is the broth

> with pureed carrots, - is what I'm understanding. Is

> that right?

No, she can eat the chicken. Take it out for her to eat separately

from the broth or you can puree the chicken meat pieces

together with the broth if you want. Whatever she likes.

> also, do I keep her on her supplements during the 5

> day intro?

What supplements? Also, you don't have to do the full

5 days - it's 2-5 days, depending on a bunch of things.

> And as far as applesauce, - I know that it's not

> listed but she needs it in order to open her

> probiotic and other supplements as she can't swallow

> capsules. So can I still let her have a little

> applesauce to get the supplements in her?

I wouldn't sweat the applesauce. I think that's fine.

Especially since she's not eating the dairy cheesecake.

> As far as school, she went the last two days for 1

> hour and is doing well with going. The anxiety is

> gut related, but it also is that she'll feel trapped

> in the class and can't get out if she has a panic

> attack, etc. The teachers, principal, nurse are all

> on board and have been wonderful. She can walk out

> of class at any time and go to the nurse. I'm

> actually sitting in the office while she's in class

> so there's comfort in that. It's all baby steps but

> this is a huge one this week with her going to

> class.

Does she do any afternoon activities?

Given how much stress/anxiety she is feeling, I was wondering

if yoga would help her. I realize the idea of a class right now

is scary for her, but it's a great great stress reliever and

very therapeutic. I find it invaluable for mind/body health.

Mara

Guest guest

Her supplements are Absorbaid to absorb foods better, (Magnesium and Berberine which we will hold off for a few days), probiotic, L-glutamine, b complex vitamin, inositol, iodine drops, and she does a neurotransmitter spray in her mouth, and she's on Paxil.

Thanks for responding to my email. It helps, more than you know.

Marla

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Tuesday, December 2, 2008 11:22:08 AMSubject: Re: Re:My Daughter

---- Original message ---->Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 09:01:17 -0800 (PST)>From: Dusty Pruett <dustman8625@ sbcglobal. net> >Subject: Re: Re:My Daughter >To: BTVC-SCD@yahoogroup s.com>> I have more questions for all of you out there.> First of all, as of this morning, I'm starting to> realize her D maybe the 3 month flare. We're in that> timeframe with the diet, so it makes sense. We are> starting the intro diet today. How long til the D> stops on the intro diet? It stops when it stops, we're all so different, there is norule. She doesn't have to stay on intro the whole time if theD extends for a while;

it's just a way to help clear her body outof things that might be hard for her. Especially if she is in the3 month flare, when the hard case bacteria have once againmultiplied and are aggravating her system. Here is info on the intro GAPS diet (the one that Jodi mentioned) which might give you more ideas about how to implement theintro diet so that it is satisfying:http://www.gapsdiet .com/INTRODUCTIO N_DIET.html> Also, with this chicken> broth, do I take the chicken pieces out once it> cooks for 4 hours? So, all she eats is the broth> with pureed carrots, - is what I'm understanding. Is> that right?No, she can eat the chicken. Take it out for her to eat separatelyfrom the broth or you can puree the chicken meat piecestogether with the broth if you want. Whatever she likes.

> also, do I keep her on her supplements during the 5> day intro?What supplements? Also, you don't have to do the full5 days - it's 2-5 days, depending on a bunch of things. > And as far as applesauce, - I know that it's not> listed but she needs it in order to open her> probiotic and other supplements as she can't swallow> capsules. So can I still let her have a little> applesauce to get the supplements in her?I wouldn't sweat the applesauce. I think that's fine. Especially since she's not eating the dairy cheesecake. > As far as school, she went the last two days for 1> hour and is doing well with going. The anxiety is> gut related, but it also is that she'll feel trapped> in the class and can't get out if she has a panic> attack, etc. The teachers, principal, nurse are all> on board and have been wonderful. She can walk

out> of class at any time and go to the nurse. I'm> actually sitting in the office while she's in class> so there's comfort in that. It's all baby steps but> this is a huge one this week with her going to> class.Does she do any afternoon activities?Given how much stress/anxiety she is feeling, I was wonderingif yoga would help her. I realize the idea of a class right nowis scary for her, but it's a great great stress reliever andvery therapeutic. I find it invaluable for mind/body health. Mara

Guest guest

Ana and others who have said I'm a good parent for pursuing answers for my daughter-

I'm in tears as I write this. I'm very weepy today but I just wanted you all to know how much it means to me that you would email me back and to give me encouragement. Everyone is so busy these days with life and it just touched me that you people out there care enough to respond to my emails. This has been a long road. I've shed tons of tears and I'm just very upset today with all of this. She finally starts to make baby steps this week to get back to school and she has a flare. Unbelievable!!!!!!!!! I know there's a reason for everything and I guess this is stretching my faith plus Rach will be a stronger adult someday because of this. Maybe she'll become a nutritionist or a doctor and help others. Who knows? It's just hard when you are going thru a trial and are in the midst of it. I'm a born again Christian and the Lord is definitely giving me the strength and sustaining me thru all of

this.

so anyway, thanks again for the encouraging words. They mean so much to me right now.

Marla

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Tuesday, December 2, 2008 11:47:24 AMSubject: Re:My Daughter

Good Morning,I have been reading your posts and I wanted to share my experiences with you. I am a very anxious person and have suffered from "stomach problems" since I was very little. When I get nervous I get stomach pains and then it turns into bad intestinal cramps and diarrhea. The problem with this is that I tend to be very constipated, so the diarrhea can't get out. This causes incredible pain. I remember sitting on the toilet and sobbing, I must have been about 8 or 9 years old. As a young woman I frightened my new husband by crying out in pain on the toilet, desperately trying to move my bowels. I have ended up in the emergency room because of the pain once or twice in my life. The doctors can find nothing physically wrong with me, they suspect IBS. IBS is a functional problem, the intestines are too sensitive, and foods that other people can eat cause the intestines to spasm. Being

nervous make the intestines spasm too. This is very painful. I don't know if your daughter has had accidents, but I have had several very embarrassing accidents at parties before SCD. I have become a shy person. SCD works really well for me, BUT I cannot eat several legal SCD foods because of my IBS issues. I don't digest fatty foods properly so peanut butter, cheese, and fatty meats are out. I can't tolerate very much vinegar, raisins, honey, or spicy foods. Each person's trigger foods are unique. SCD works for me because additives and preservatives mess me up terribly. Spearmint tea is soothing, so is a heating pad. Just be sure to have your daughter not be constipated, as long as her bowels are regular the pain is much less. I still am an anxious person; I cope with this by being as prepared for situations as possible. At school I would always have my work done. Now that I am done with college

and facing a new career I feel a need to over prepare and stay 100% SCD. My best friend has a teenage daughter that was unable to attend school for about a year. This young lady felt that everyone was looking at her to judge and make comparisons. She developed intestinal migraines that made her throw up several times in a row several times a day. She had to walk around with a bowl. It was really bad there for awhile. She is feeling better now and is back in school. I know that her and her mom went to counseling for a time to work on the anxiety issues. You are a wonderful caring parent. Hang in there and try not to worry yourself sick. {{{HUGS}}}Ana Karina lactose/gluten intolerant/IBS- CSCD since 2006

Guest guest

Marla,

First off, in the words of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,

DON'T PANIC!!

I remember a kid (who is now an engineer in Chicago, so if anyone lives

there and has complaints about the roads, it's not MY fault!). Kid would

throw a temper tantrum about what his mom served him. So she'd go and fix

something else. Whereupon he would throw another temper tantrum. And...

you get the picture. She made, and threw out, at least six breakfasts

(and other meals) for every one he ate. Master manipulator, that

lad.

I don't doubt that your daughter has panic / ADD / psychological issues.

I'm equally certain that she desperately needs cheat-free SCD to get

better.

Chicken soup and/or other bone broths are Good Nutrition, but they aren't

the only way to do an intro diet. My intro diet was roast meat (beef and

pork were what I tolerated -- chicken and I weren't on speaking terms. I

later learned it was because of junk injected into the chicken meat), a

steamed vegetable (peeled, sliced, steamed zucchini), soft-boiled eggs

(which, of course, your daughter can't have) and SMALL amounts of

Tropicana orange juice. I couldn't handle Welch's, I couldn't handle

cider, and I don't think the Knudsen's " Just Juice " line

existed then.

I rotated through these items, having small portions every two hours.

Eventually, I could add other things.

You're ready to throw in the towel on this diet... but don't do that.

Doing that is fixing something else for her to eat when she rejects what

you gave her first, like the mom and her son.

You acknowledge that she ate stuff that she shouldn't have had over

Thanksgiving, given her sensitivities, and yet, if I'm reading your email

correctly, you're prepared to blame SCD for the problems she's having.

And feeling that SCD isn't working. Uhm, no. Clearly, she shouldn't have

had the butter and eggs. (If you want to introduce good fats, try ghee

(which is butter with any milk solids removed) or coconut oil.) I do not

know what the supplement she had was, but clearly, you also recognize

that she shouldn't have had it, whatever it was. Again, that supplement

is not SCD's fault.

>> Here's her usual diet in the day, plus all of her

supplements.: pancakes made from ground nuts, honey that is fine,

and fruit, meat, vegetable, fruit for lunch and supper. I just can't

figure out what is causing this. If anyone has any idea, please let

me know. <<

You're not really giving us much to go on, here.

What are " all her supplements " ? Give us a list of each

supplement, and all the ingredients in each one. (A URL pointing to the

ingredient list is also good is you don't want to type in lists of

ingredients.) Depending on the supplement, sometimes, the additives can

undermine the most careful diet.

What goes in the pancakes?

What fruit or fruits is she eating? How is it prepared?

What vegetable or vegetables is she eating? How are they

prepared?

What meat or meats is she eating? How are they prepared?

Please remember that healing with food does take time. Before we go

haring off to the GAPS methodology (which has many useful points), let's

look within SCD itself for the solution.

Marilyn

New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

Guest guest

At 12:15 PM 12/2/2008, you wrote:

She finally starts to make baby

steps this week to get back to school and she has a flare.

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!

Actually, it's very believable. Stress, although not the sole cause of a

flare, can provoke one. (All you who have had stress situations cause

issues, raise your hands and say, " Aye! " I'm not going to

comment about what MY gut was doing the week before my cancer

surgery!)

The rule of healing is usually three steps forward and two steps

back.

And while you're stepping, remember the " Footprints in the

Sand. " The time when you see a single line of steps at the worst

times and wonder why you have been abandoned, that is the time when

Someone is carrying you because you can go no further... and you will be

carried until you are strong enough to walk on your own again.

The SCD community is a very close-knit one, even though most of us have

never met in person. Each of us have different belief systems, but I know

that I, at least, feel that we would not be here without a reason -- a

good reason. The support I personally received after Hurricane Katrina,

when my mom had her heart attacks, before, during, and after the cancer

surgery was beyond belief... and restores my faith in humanity in a time

when it seems the news has nothing but bad news on.

Your daughter WILL recover. It just may take more time than any of us

want!

Marilyn

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Guest guest

Her supplements are Absorbaid to absorb foods betterThis has rice starch in it, so is SCD illegal. http://www.veganstore.com/absorb-aid-digestive-enzyme/Page_1/251.htmlProduct Description:AbsorbAid contains a broad array of plant enzymes that aid in digesting protein, fat, carbohydrates, and fiber. Also helps with stomach distress like occasional indigestion or nighttime discomfort. Enzyme blend consists of Lipase, Amylase, Protease (from bromelain), Cellulase, and Lactase. 90 capsules.Supplement Facts:Serving Size: 2 capsulesAbsorbAid Enzyme Blend:Lipase: 381 LUAmylase: 2772 SKBUProtease: 12 GDUCellulase: 99 CULactase: 300 LacUOther Ingredients: Rice starch, plant cellulose, water., (Magnesium and Berberine which we will hold off for a few days), probioticWhich probiotic? , L-glutamine,I wonder about the L-glutamine. Not everyone does well with that one. It gave me crampy feelings, for example. OTOH, others do great with it. b complex vitamin, inositolWhat is this one? Haven't heard of it before. Others may have more info on these. , iodine drops, and she does a neurotransmitter spray in her mouth, and she's on Paxil.Thanks for responding to my email. It helps, more than you know.Glad to hear it.Stay strong. Mara

Guest guest

I have to admit this makes me so mad that the nutritionist who recommended the diet then puts her on something with rice in it.

thanks for telling me about Absorbaid. She has it with every meal. So that really makes me mad at this point. So, what does that mean? That for all of these months on this diet, it was useless since she's had a supplement with rice in it? I hope that's not the case.

The reason we are doing the diet is because of an overgrowth of d-lactate bacteria (plus she has celiac.) (and her thyroid is off and she has the anxiety).

The pro she takes is saccharomyces boulardii.

Inositol is for her anxiety, I think.

Oh well. We keep plugging away.

We started the intro diet today after I'm starting to realize that her diarrhea is probably the 3 month flare that I'm always reading about on here. Do you agree?

Anyway, her diarrhea has subsided quite a lot all day. I'm amazed and thankful.

I just want to say that I totally believe this diet has helped tons of people. And I hope my daughter will be one of them. I just needed to vent so I apologize if I've offended anyone. I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't believe in it. When I read the book in the beginning, it all makes sense. It's just a lot harder than her gluten free diet was. I also want to make it clear that she's not being difficult or a brat about it. She really hardly complains because she wants to get better. I just felt I needed to state that to you all also.

Once again, sorry about complaining. It sometimes helps to vent your frustrations. If I can't do that on here, then that's ok.

Thanks again to all who responded so quickly to all my questions. I really have appreciated it.

Marla

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:43:49 PMSubject: Re: Re:My Daughter

Her supplements are Absorbaid to absorb foods better

This has rice starch in it, so is SCD illegal.

http://www.vegansto re.com/absorb- aid-digestive- enzyme/Page_ 1/251.html

Product Description:AbsorbAid contains a broad array of plant enzymes that aid in digesting protein, fat, carbohydrates, and fiber. Also helps with stomach distress like occasional indigestion or nighttime discomfort. Enzyme blend consists of Lipase, Amylase, Protease (from bromelain), Cellulase, and Lactase. 90 capsules.

Supplement Facts:Serving Size: 2 capsulesAbsorbAid Enzyme Blend:Lipase: 381 LUAmylase: 2772 SKBUProtease: 12 GDUCellulase: 99 CULactase: 300 LacU

Other Ingredients: Rice starch, plant cellulose, water.

, (Magnesium and Berberine which we will hold off for a few days), probiotic

Which probiotic?

, L-glutamine,

I wonder about the L-glutamine. Not everyone does well with that one. It gave me crampy

feelings, for example. OTOH, others do great with it.

b complex vitamin,

inositol

What is this one? Haven't heard of it before.

Others may have more info on these.

, iodine drops, and she does a neurotransmitter spray in her mouth, and she's on Paxil.

Thanks for responding to my email. It helps, more than you know.

Glad to hear it.

Stay strong.

Mara

Guest guest

Thanks for the sweet offer to help me. I do have friends who homeschool or who have in the past. My husband and I don't feel led to do that at this point.

But I wanted to say thanks anyway.

Marla

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Tuesday, December 2, 2008 1:30:07 PMSubject: Re:My Daughter

>I can tell you are really upset that your daughter is missing school. I am a homeschooling mother of 6, and maybe you could take you daughter out of school this year, and teach her at home. There are several wonderful computer based programs like Switched on Schoolhouse for grades 3 through 12. They are easy to manage, and are very easy for the parent. My 15, and 17 year olds use this. There is also distance programs that send you all the books and tests, which you send back to them to grade. There are even video schools from BJU that are like going to school from home, because you watch the teacher. I do not know if this is an option for you, but if you are interested in knowing more I would gladly help you

get started. It might at least relieve your stress, so you could concentrate on her healing. Just a suggestion. Hang in there....> Ana and others who have said I'm a good parent for pursuing answers for my daughter-> I'm in tears as I write this. I'm very weepy today but I just wanted you all to know how much it means to me that you would email me back and to give me encouragement. Everyone is so busy these days with life and it just touched me that you people out there care enough to respond to my emails. This has been a long road. I've shed tons of tears and I'm just very upset today with all of this. She finally starts to make baby steps this week to get back to school and she has a flare. Unbelievable! !!!!!!!! I know there's a reason for everything and I guess this is stretching my faith plus Rach will be a stronger adult someday because of this. Maybe

she'll become a nutritionist or a doctor and help others. Who knows? It's just hard when you are going thru a trial and are in the midst of it. I'm a born again Christian and the Lord is definitely giving me the strength and sustaining me thru all of this. > so anyway, thanks again for the encouraging words. They mean so much to me right now.> Marla> > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ __> From: ana.elliott88 <ana.elliott88@ ...>> To: BTVC-SCD@yahoogroup s.com> Sent: Tuesday, December 2, 2008 11:47:24 AM> Subject: Re:My Daughter> > > Good Morning,> I have been reading your posts and I wanted to share my experiences > with you. I am a

very anxious person and have suffered from "stomach > problems" since I was very little. When I get nervous I get stomach > pains and then it turns into bad intestinal cramps and diarrhea. The > problem with this is that I tend to be very constipated, so the > diarrhea can't get out. This causes incredible pain. I remember > sitting on the toilet and sobbing, I must have been about 8 or 9 > years old. As a young woman I frightened my new husband by crying out > in pain on the toilet, desperately trying to move my bowels. I have > ended up in the emergency room because of the pain once or twice in > my life. The doctors can find nothing physically wrong with me, they > suspect IBS. IBS is a functional problem, the intestines are too > sensitive, and foods that other people can eat cause the intestines > to spasm. Being nervous make the intestines spasm

too. This is very > painful. I don't know if your daughter has had accidents, but I have > had several very embarrassing accidents at parties before SCD. I have > become a shy person. > SCD works really well for me, BUT I cannot eat several legal SCD > foods because of my IBS issues. I don't digest fatty foods properly > so peanut butter, cheese, and fatty meats are out. I can't tolerate > very much vinegar, raisins, honey, or spicy foods. Each person's > trigger foods are unique. SCD works for me because additives and > preservatives mess me up terribly. Spearmint tea is soothing, so is a > heating pad. Just be sure to have your daughter not be constipated, > as long as her bowels are regular the pain is much less. I still am > an anxious person; I cope with this by being as prepared for > situations as possible. At school I would always have my work

done. > Now that I am done with college and facing a new career I feel a need > to over prepare and stay 100% SCD. > My best friend has a teenage daughter that was unable to attend > school for about a year. This young lady felt that everyone was > looking at her to judge and make comparisons. She developed > intestinal migraines that made her throw up several times in a row > several times a day. She had to walk around with a bowl. It was > really bad there for awhile. She is feeling better now and is back in > school. I know that her and her mom went to counseling for a time to > work on the anxiety issues. > You are a wonderful caring parent. Hang in there and try not to worry > yourself sick. {{{HUGS}}}> > Ana Karina > lactose/gluten intolerant/IBS- C> SCD since

2006>

Guest guest

The pancakes are the ones in the book. Midas gold ones I think. I use ground nuts.

As far as fruits, she eats grapes, bananas, apples, pears. - uncooked.

Sometimes baked apples. Always applesauce with her supplements.

Meats- chicken, hamburger, pork chops, steak,

the chicken is antibiotic, etc. free.

veggies, - carrots, green beans, zucchini, ( I season things with green pepper and onions)- all cooked.

I listed the supplements earlier today. I don't have time tonight but maybe I'll send you the ingredients tomorrow.

Marla

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Tuesday, December 2, 2008 2:57:53 PMSubject: Re: Re:My Daughter

Marla,First off, in the words of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, DON'T PANIC!!I remember a kid (who is now an engineer in Chicago, so if anyone lives there and has complaints about the roads, it's not MY fault!). Kid would throw a temper tantrum about what his mom served him. So she'd go and fix something else. Whereupon he would throw another temper tantrum. And... you get the picture. She made, and threw out, at least six breakfasts (and other meals) for every one he ate. Master manipulator, that lad.I don't doubt that your daughter has panic / ADD / psychological issues. I'm equally certain that she desperately needs cheat-free SCD to get better.Chicken soup and/or other bone broths are Good Nutrition, but they aren't the only way to do an intro diet. My intro diet was roast meat (beef and pork were what I tolerated -- chicken and I weren't on speaking terms. I later learned it was because of junk

injected into the chicken meat), a steamed vegetable (peeled, sliced, steamed zucchini), soft-boiled eggs (which, of course, your daughter can't have) and SMALL amounts of Tropicana orange juice. I couldn't handle Welch's, I couldn't handle cider, and I don't think the Knudsen's "Just Juice" line existed then.I rotated through these items, having small portions every two hours. Eventually, I could add other things.You're ready to throw in the towel on this diet... but don't do that. Doing that is fixing something else for her to eat when she rejects what you gave her first, like the mom and her son. You acknowledge that she ate stuff that she shouldn't have had over Thanksgiving, given her sensitivities, and yet, if I'm reading your email correctly, you're prepared to blame SCD for the problems she's having. And feeling that SCD isn't working. Uhm, no. Clearly, she shouldn't have had the butter and eggs. (If you want to introduce

good fats, try ghee (which is butter with any milk solids removed) or coconut oil.) I do not know what the supplement she had was, but clearly, you also recognize that she shouldn't have had it, whatever it was. Again, that supplement is not SCD's fault.>> Here's her usual diet in the day, plus all of her supplements. : pancakes made from ground nuts, honey that is fine, and fruit, meat, vegetable, fruit for lunch and supper. I just can't figure out what is causing this. If anyone has any idea, please let me know. <<You're not really giving us much to go on, here.What are "all her supplements"? Give us a list of each supplement, and all the ingredients in each one. (A URL pointing to the ingredient list is also good is you don't want to type in lists of ingredients. ) Depending on the supplement, sometimes, the additives can undermine the most careful diet.What goes in the

pancakes?What fruit or fruits is she eating? How is it prepared?What vegetable or vegetables is she eating? How are they prepared?What meat or meats is she eating? How are they prepared?Please remember that healing with food does take time. Before we go haring off to the GAPS methodology (which has many useful points), let's look within SCD itself for the solution.

— Marilyn New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001 Darn Good SCD Cook No Human Children Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

Guest guest

I have to admit this makes me so mad that the nutritionist who recommended the diet then puts her on something with rice in it. thanks for telling me about Absorbaid. She has it with every meal. So that really makes me mad at this point. So, what does that mean? That for all of these months on this diet, it was useless since she's had a supplement with rice in it? I hope that's not the case.No, it wasn't useless, but it probably slowed the progress somewhat, and maybe prevented some die-off. A lot of people use digestive enzyme "Digest Gold" from this company:http://www.enzymedica.com/and check here to see others which are legal:http://www.pecanbread.com/new/enzymes1.htmlThis list tells you supplements that are legal and illegal that you might find useful:http://www.pecanbread.com/new/Sup1.htmlThe reason we are doing the diet is because of an overgrowth of d-lactate bacteria (plus she has celiac.) (and her thyroid is off and she has the anxiety). The pro she takes is saccharomyces boulardii.How about adding some acidophilus. Inositol is for her anxiety, I think.Oh well. We keep plugging away.We started the intro diet today after I'm starting to realize that her diarrhea is probably the 3 month flare that I'm always reading about on here. Do you agree?It's certainly possible. Hard to know for sure from what you have said. Anyway, the intro or some version of it is very helpful for the 3 month flare as well. Mara

Guest guest

>The pancakes are the ones in the book. Midas gold ones I think. I use

>ground nuts.

As far as fruits, she eats grapes, bananas, apples, pears. - uncooked.

Sometimes baked apples. Always applesauce with her supplements.

Meats- chicken, hamburger, pork chops, steak,

the chicken is antibiotic, etc. free.

veggies, - carrots, green beans, zucchini, ( I season things with green

pepper and onions)- all cooked.<

Hi Marla!

Some suggestions from me:

peel apples and pears and cook them semi-soft in an open pan with some

coconut oil

don't eat grapes for awhile and re-introduce later (and peel them first)

Avoid pork for a week or so and then re-introduce but see how it makes her

feel

If you are using fresh green peppers (bell peppers) use red bell peppers or

yellow ones (they are ripe)

If you are using green peppercorns, try skipping that awhile, peppercorns

can irritate the bowels

Also as you are not eating fish, find a good supplement of fishoil, or

sealoil.

Fatty fish is really important!

Cecilia

Guest guest

ARe cooked apples and fish ok on intro diet?

Marla

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Wednesday, December 3, 2008 1:29:15 AMSubject: Re: Re:My Daughter>The pancakes are the ones in the book. Midas gold ones I think. I use>ground nuts.As far as fruits, she eats grapes, bananas, apples, pears. - uncooked.Sometimes baked apples. Always applesauce with her supplements.Meats- chicken, hamburger, pork chops, steak,the chicken is antibiotic, etc. free.veggies, - carrots, green beans, zucchini, ( I season things with greenpepper and onions)- all cooked.<Hi Marla!Some suggestions from me:peel apples and pears and cook them semi-soft in an open pan with somecoconut oildon't eat

grapes for awhile and re-introduce later (and peel them first)Avoid pork for a week or so and then re-introduce but see how it makes herfeelIf you are using fresh green peppers (bell peppers) use red bell peppers oryellow ones (they are ripe)If you are using green peppercorns, try skipping that awhile, peppercornscan irritate the bowelsAlso as you are not eating fish, find a good supplement of fishoil, or sealoil.Fatty fish is really important!Cecilia------------------------------------

Guest guest

Eileen,

I'm sorry. I didn't understand your email.

Fish? Meats? cooked apples?

Marla

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Wednesday, December 3, 2008 11:09:55 AMSubject: Re:My Daughter

fish yes meats are but cooked apples are stage 1eileen scd 10 months>> ARe cooked apples and fish ok on intro diet?> Marla> > > > > ____________ _________ _________ __> From: "cecilia@... " <cecilia@... >> To: BTVC-SCD@yahoogroup s.com> Sent: Wednesday, December 3, 2008 1:29:15 AM> Subject: Re: Re:My Daughter> > > >The pancakes are the ones in the book. Midas gold ones I think. I use> >ground nuts.> As far as fruits, she eats grapes, bananas, apples, pears. - uncooked.>

Sometimes baked apples. Always applesauce with her supplements.> Meats- chicken, hamburger, pork chops, steak,> the chicken is antibiotic, etc. free.> veggies, - carrots, green beans, zucchini, ( I season things with green> pepper and onions)- all cooked.<> > Hi Marla!> > Some suggestions from me:> > peel apples and pears and cook them semi-soft in an open pan with some> coconut oil> don't eat grapes for awhile and re-introduce later (and peel them first)> Avoid pork for a week or so and then re-introduce but see how it makes her> feel> If you are using fresh green peppers (bell peppers) use red bell peppers or> yellow ones (they are ripe)> If you are using green peppercorns, try skipping that awhile, peppercorns> can irritate the bowels> Also as you are not eating fish, find a good supplement of

fishoil, or > sealoil.> Fatty fish is really important!> > Cecilia> > > > > ------------ --------- --------- ------> >

Guest guest

At 10:56 AM 12/3/2008, you wrote:

ARe cooked apples and fish ok on

intro diet?

Apples can be problematic unless carefully peeled. In general, they are

added after the intro diet, but I know you are using apple sauce for her

supplements, so you might want to double-peel them before cooking them

into apple sauce.

Broiled fish is fine. If she likes salmon, this would be good for getting

some of the good oils in, also other fatty fish. Although fat is

something to be cautious of initially, many times, the fatty fish can be

tolerated.

Marilyn

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Guest guest

Applesauce is store bought. It's Musselman's natural unsweetened. It has only apples, water and absorbic acid in it.

Where is the listing of the different stages of the diet?

Also, the intro is only for 5 days, right?

She started the intro yesterday morning. And I am amazed. The diarrhea has basically stopped. She had just a little bit yesterday. This morning, there was some formed stool. - not D, but not her usual. But I rejoiced that it wasn't full blown liquidy.

She also went for 2 periods today at school. Another rejoice.

She can survive with the intro but it is already getting old. All I'm having her eat is broiled hamburger patties, the chicken broth with carrots mushed up and chicken pieces, and a SCD jello. She did just eat 2 egg yolks scrambled in a small amount of olive oil. (She can't have egg whites.) And she hasn't pooped. So, any other suggestions for the next 4 days of the intro would be appreciated. I know it's all individual. But for the most part she did ok on the regular diet. Like I've stated we never did the intro or the steps. So, I don't have a clue on all of that. The intro for 5 days. and then the steps each take how many days?

Thanks again to all of you for your advice and concern.

Marla

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Wednesday, December 3, 2008 11:38:02 AMSubject: Re:My Daughter

Hi Marla,Broiled fish is fine..As for the apples.. It seems like apple sauce is ok for her to take meds.. Is this storebought apple sauce or home-made?I would wait for Marilyn to answer that one- since your daughter can'tdo dairy or the eggs.I had to do a different INTRO too, I couldn't tolerate carrots and thejuices. What are the foods your daughter does tolerate well? Maybeyou can list those for Marilyn. It is confusing as the intro that isoutlined in BTVC is specific but we learn that people have to tweakthe intro according to his or her own needs. It gets confusing butwith some of the old timers advice like the moderators they can helpwith this sort of thing.JodiSCD 14 monthsCrohn's/Colitis

Guest guest

Yes. MaraARe cooked apples and fish ok on intro diet?MarlaTo: BTVC-SCD Sent: Wednesday, December 3, 2008 1:29:15 AMSubject: Re: Re:My Daughter>The pancakes are the ones in the book. Midas gold ones I think. I use>ground nuts.As far as fruits, she eats grapes, bananas, apples, pears. - uncooked.Sometimes baked apples. Always applesauce with her supplements.Meats- chicken, hamburger, pork chops, steak,the chicken is antibiotic, etc. free.veggies, - carrots, green beans, zucchini, ( I season things with greenpepper and onions)- all cooked.<Hi Marla!Some suggestions from me:peel apples and pears and cook them semi-soft in an open pan with somecoconut oildon't eat grapes for awhile and re-introduce later (and peel them first)Avoid pork for a week or so and then re-introduce but see how it makes herfeelIf you are using fresh green peppers (bell peppers) use red bell peppers oryellow ones (they are ripe)If you are using green peppercorns, try skipping that awhile, peppercornscan irritate the bowelsAlso as you are not eating fish, find a good supplement of fishoil, or sealoil.Fatty fish is really important!Cecilia------------------------------------

Guest guest

Do you think the probiotic is ok? I don't see the one ingredient listed on the website you mentioned. hydroxypropyl methylcellulose.

Marla

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Wednesday, December 3, 2008 12:20:57 PMSubject: Re:My Daughter

Hi Marla,

Inositol is illegal.

Elaine writes:

>Inositol is a sugar alcohol. Sugar alcohols will>feed bacteria and that is something we do not want to do. Sugar alcohols generally cause diarrhea but >small amounts in supplements are ok - Elaine

A very important resource as you start to learn how important reading each and every label you can find is the "legal/illegal" list on the BTVC website.

http://www.breaking theviciouscycle. info/legal/ legal_illegal_ a-c.htm

I exported the list into an Excel sheet and took that shopping with me for several months when starting the diet. It's pretty comprehensive and you'll find a number of the ingredients in the supplements listed there.

Also, as others have suggested, it really is important to start with the super easy-to-digest foods first, and really cook fruits and veggies to death. You're essentially helping "pre-digest" the food so the intestine can rest and heal itself. I think of it as the intestine of a newborn baby. You wouldn't give a raw carrot to a baby for more than a year, so try to think of your daughter's intestine as a newborn's. Soft, pureed food first. Add new mushy things next. Not exciting, but I do think you'll see improvement if you take the steps of eliminating the illegals and revisiting the types of legal foods she's eating.

Also - for pancakes, you might want to try almond butter first, rather than ground nuts. The butters are easier to digest and many people can start those before the flours or ground nuts. Although - peanut butter is often problematic for some people even several months into the diet.

Stay strong - give it another try - and we're all here rooting for you and your daughter.

KathyUC since 12/05SCD since 7/07med-free since 7/08

>inositol

Guest guest

Just to say that ascorbic acid is a form of Vitamin C that irritates the gut. It gives me diarrhea. Try fruit puree from the health food shop with nothing in at all.

CD diagnosed Sept 2006

SCD Oct 2006

No meds

No symptoms

J’utilise la version gratuite de SPAMfighter pour utilisateurs privés.Jusqu’à présent SPAMfighter a bloqué 1563 courriels spam et m’a fait gagner du temps.Nous avons en ce moment 5.7 millions d’utilisateurs de par le monde entier. Les utlisateurs payants n’ont pas ce message. Vous pouvez télécharger la version gratuite

Guest guest

At 03:46 PM 12/3/2008, you wrote:

Just to say that

ascorbic acid is a form of Vitamin C that irritates the gut. It gives me

diarrhea. Try fruit puree from the health food shop with nothing in at

all.

Find a form of Vitamin C which is not derived from corn and you may be

able to tolerate it. Apple sauce or other fruit purees should be homemade

for this very reason.

Marilyn