> helpful.

>

> Thanks in advance,

>

> Aliza

>

Guest guest

I have RA and i dont know what to expect next. I have had it only a couple of

months. it is horable. I am takeing prednisone and salphasalazine. I had pain in

my wrist, hands, Knees, and back. My hands are alittle better as well as knees.

My back hurts daily and limits my activity. Is this normal? Does anyone know

anything about the Meds? I really dont like takeing them. Any special diet that

will help? I am frightened at what will happen in the future. I dont know alot

about RA. Please give any and all imfo you have. I am 52 years old. Thanks for

your support

Guest guest

Hi , I don't have RA - my husband does. He was diagnosed with it only in

November. I sure don't have all the answers, but he was immediately put on

Predesone and Methotrexate, and in a couple days started feeling better. We are

also have a great Naturopath who works along with the standard route. He hasn't

had a total turn around, but the improvement has been incredible. After an

awful lot of obsessing on the internet and communicating with people, he was

also put on some rounds of antibiotics. We believe the whole thing was

triggered when he was tearing out walls remodeling our basement, and was

confronted with years of old mouse droppings, carcasses ect. I believe once he

got it all airborne while cleaning it up was the trigger. The symptoms started

showing up a few weeks after that. That is just our theory, I am not a doctor.

I belive his own personal " trigger " was the mice, and therefore the antibiotics.

Pam

Petry <mapetry0177@...> wrote: I have RA and i dont

know what to expect next. I have had it only a couple of months. it is horable.

I am takeing prednisone and salphasalazine. I had pain in my wrist, hands,

Knees, and back. My hands are alittle better as well as knees. My back hurts

daily and limits my activity. Is this normal? Does anyone know anything about

the Meds? I really dont like takeing them. Any special diet that will help? I am

frightened at what will happen in the future. I dont know alot about RA. Please

give any and all imfo you have. I am 52 years old. Thanks for your support

Guest guest

My son has been in his band for 2.5 weeks and the reactions haven't been as bad as I expected, since I tried to prepare myself for the worst. A lot of people will stare, I generally ignore them. He has a shirt now that says "Warning: the longer you stare, the cuter I get" -- I made it with one of those iron-on transfers. Some people have been blatantly ignorant, like "look that kid's got a helmet!" but those are few and far between. Surprisingly, I have found that most people, especially little older ladies (in the grocery store usually), will comment about how adorable he is, how cute he is, etc. So I have found a balance between stares (because it's out of the ordinary) and overly kind comments about how cute my

little guy is. Hopefully you will have the same luck with few to no negative or rude comments.From: lauriehudicek <lauriehudicek@...>Plagiocephaly Sent: Saturday, August 1, 2009 6:32:01 PMSubject: What to expect

We're getting our son banded in two weeks. I'm trying to prepare myself for the reactions of people. Can you share what some reactions were and how you handled them? Did anyone say anything rude to you? Did they mostly stare? If so, did you say anything?

I'm thinking about decorating the band with the words... "Thanks for looking!"

Thanks for any help!

Laurie

Guest guest

My daughter has been in a hanger helmet for about 2 weeks now. So far, the response has been mostly positive. Not to say that we haven't gotten a few strange looks, but they are easy to ignore. A few people have asked why she has the helmet, and I've explained it. A few others have said that they know a baby in a helmet. We still get people telling us how cute she is all the time. Helmet or not, strangers still "baby flirt" with her all the time. The funniest moments are with kids - they loudly ask their moms "why is that baby wearing a helmet?" I just tell them it's to make her head look nice, or I joke that, because her daddy is Canadian, she got her hockey helmet early. One kid said, "Cool, Dad! Look that baby is wearing a helmet! Awesome!" So, I would say not to worry about it too much. People will look, but most comments have been kind or simply curious.Best of luck to you and your son!- (mom to Lulu, 6 months, in Massachusetts)Plagiocephaly From: lauriehudicek@...Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 22:32:01 +0000Subject: What to expect

We're getting our son banded in two weeks. I'm trying to prepare myself for the reactions of people. Can you share what some reactions were and how you handled them? Did anyone say anything rude to you? Did they mostly stare? If so, did you say anything?

Thanks for any help!

Laurie

Windows Liveā„¢: Keep your life in sync. Check it out.

Guest guest

My daughter got her helmet almost two weeks ago. People do stare...some with

sympathetic looks, some wondering why I have done that. I think some think I am

an over protective parent puting a helmet on my daughter in her stroller (she

has the helmet not the band). No one has actually asked me what it is for,

sometimes I want to say what are you staring at, but I haven't got up the

courage yet. It did bother me at first but not as much anymore... I kind of

want someone to ask just so I can educate them on what it is for.

>

> We're getting our son banded in two weeks. I'm trying to prepare myself for

the reactions of people. Can you share what some reactions were and how you

handled them? Did anyone say anything rude to you? Did they mostly stare? If

so, did you say anything?

>

> I'm thinking about decorating the band with the words... " Thanks for looking! "

>

> Thanks for any help!

> Laurie

>

Guest guest

Our daughter was banded a couple of weeks ago, and I, too, worried about the looks she'd get. I have found that she actually gets more attention than before - and all of it has been positive! A lady at the grocery store told her how cute she was and said, "Oh, what a nice hat you have! Don't worry, it will be off soon!" That was the only time that somebody actually made direct mention of it. I didn't reply at all. I just smiled at the woman. She wasn't rude at all. Our daughter actually looks very cute in it, and I didn't think I'd think that at all. We decorated her band and that helped to make it look more fun and less medical. If anyone ever stares at her or makes a rude comment, let it go in one ear and out the other! You know that you are doing the right thing for your child and that is all that

matters!Good luck! Everything will be just fine! Below are photos of our little girl in her DOC band.http://www.flickr.com/photos/littleadehla~--- On Sat, 8/1/09, lauriehudicek <lauriehudicek@...> wrote:From: lauriehudicek <lauriehudicek@...>Subject: What to expectPlagiocephaly Date: Saturday, August 1, 2009, 10:32 PM

Thanks for any help!

Laurie

Guest guest

No one has said anything rude--but they all look! and they mostly make ding-dong comments about how he's "ready for football" (he's in a helmet). It's easier when kids make a comment because they flat out ask, "Why is he wearing that?" and i can explain; the adults don't always give me an opening. They tell me it's "cute", as if I'd put my child in it for fun and fashion in 100 degree weather :)

I just tell people all about it when there is an opening; prepare your little 2 minute speech (you dont' want to bore them to tears, but you do want it clarified). We put Elijah's name on his helmet; I think that helps people warm up to him quickly.

It hasnt' been bad, but I certainly will be glad when it's over!! I miss his head. He's been in his helmet since May 21, and the prediction is 4-6 months, sigh.

Betsy

From: lauriehudicek <lauriehudicek@...>Subject: What to expectPlagiocephaly Date: Saturday, August 1, 2009, 5:32 PM

We're getting our son banded in two weeks. I'm trying to prepare myself for the reactions of people. Can you share what some reactions were and how you handled them? Did anyone say anything rude to you? Did they mostly stare? If so, did you say anything?I'm thinking about decorating the band with the words... "Thanks for looking!"Thanks for any help!Laurie

Guest guest

We're in week 7 of our DOC Band and we haven't gotten rude comments at

all...just lots of staring and double-takes. It didn't bother me too much at

first, but I have become increasingly frustrated with it as each week has

passed. A few people have politely asked why he's wearing it, which I much

prefer over the staring. I find myself making less eye contact with people -- I

tend to look away when I feel the double-take coming. That way, I don't have to

see it. Prior to the band, everyone talked to my son when we were

out...commenting on chubby cheeks and such. Since he got his band, I can

probably count on one hand the number of people who have talked to him. In

seven weeks. I didn't expect that. Sounds like from some of the other

responses, others have had better luck with the general public. I guess it's a

lesson for me in being patient and understanding with others. They don't know

what to say, so they don't say anything. Anyway, it's temporary and for that I

am thankful. We've had great success with the DOC Band and are glad we're doing

it. He's still got his cute little chubby cheeks, so hopefully his fanclub will

be chatty with him once again when he's band-free.

Good luck with your little one. I think your " Thanks for looking " idea is cute!

I was frustrated one day and almost put " ASK or Quit Staring! " I think your

idea is better. :-)

Jill

Cade's mom, 7 mo, DOCBand 6/18/09

Austin TX

>

>

> I'm thinking about decorating the band with the words... " Thanks for looking! "

>

> Thanks for any help!

> Laurie

>

Guest guest

Maysa was in a passive helmet and then in 2 DOC bands for almost 11 months and we never got a bad comment or a funny stare. Could it be that I wasn't looking, or that I really didn't care that someone might have a negative opinion about it? I don't know! All I know is that I wanted to help her and while we got off on the wrong foot with the passive helmet, the DOC bands did the trick for us. The rest is in the past.

I had fun decorating the band. I usually put her name on it and flowers, all kinds of flower stickers and people always thought that she looked cute. She is such a social butterfly and always smiles and says hi to people, so that helped.

Don't worry too much. You are doing the right thing!

Leila,Maysa, 18.5 mo, DOC band Grad 5.29.09

www.mymaysa.wordpress.com

From: jillmckay@... <jillmckay@...>Subject: Re: What to expectPlagiocephaly Date: Sunday, August 2, 2009, 2:23 PM

We're in week 7 of our DOC Band and we haven't gotten rude comments at all...just lots of staring and double-takes. It didn't bother me too much at first, but I have become increasingly frustrated with it as each week has passed. A few people have politely asked why he's wearing it, which I much prefer over the staring. I find myself making less eye contact with people -- I tend to look away when I feel the double-take coming. That way, I don't have to see it. Prior to the band, everyone talked to my son when we were out...commenting on chubby cheeks and such. Since he got his band, I can probably count on one hand the number of people who have talked to him. In seven weeks. I didn't expect that. Sounds like from some of the other responses, others have had better luck with the general public. I guess it's a lesson for me in being patient and understanding with others. They don't know what to say, so they don't say anything. Anyway, it's temporary

and for that I am thankful. We've had great success with the DOC Band and are glad we're doing it. He's still got his cute little chubby cheeks, so hopefully his fanclub will be chatty with him once again when he's band-free. Good luck with your little one. I think your "Thanks for looking" idea is cute! I was frustrated one day and almost put "ASK or Quit Staring!" I think your idea is better. :-) JillCade's mom, 7 mo, DOCBand 6/18/09Austin TX>> We're getting our son banded in two weeks. I'm trying to prepare myself for the reactions of people. Can you share what some reactions were and how you handled them? Did anyone say anything rude to you? Did they

mostly stare? If so, did you say anything?> > I'm thinking about decorating the band with the words... "Thanks for looking!"> > Thanks for any help!> Laurie>

Guest guest

We didn't have rude comments at all. A few people would ask eachother about it

from a distance - rather than just asking us. Kids would ask. Most people were

very friendly. I put my daughter's name on it with stickers, and people would

say " Hi Sydney " . Some guy in toy R us wanted to buy one because he son kept

bumping his head... (it does save the head a lot when babies are learning to

crawl and walk).

-christine

sydney, 3.5 yrs, starband grad

>

>

>

> Thanks for any help!

> Laurie

>