RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: WOW! Scary! Get your pollution score card

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Oh, gheesh! My county (Kanawha 25143) ranks in the worst 10% of all counties in the US for all of these things... here are a few things it says:

Air Pollutants That Pose Cancer and Other Health RisksBased on EPA's most current data, this county ranked among the dirtiest/worst 10% of all counties in the US in terms of an average individual's added cancer risk from hazardous air pollutants.

Smog and Soot: How Much Air Pollution is Released in Your Community?In 1999, this county ranked among the dirtiest/worst 10% of all counties in the U.S. in terms of volatile organic compound emissions.

Toxic Chemicals Released by Factories, Power Plants and Other Industrial Companies In 2002, this county ranked among the dirtiest/worst 10% of all counties in the U.S. in terms of total environmental releases.

The top chemicals released in my county (which isn't that big) are:

Nitrate Compounds

Hydrochloric Acid

Ammonia

Sodium Nitrite

Sulfuric Acid

Hydrofluoric Acid

Ethylene Glycol

Ethylene

Methanol

Styrene

Methyl Isobutyl Ketone

Propylene

Lead

Dicyclopentadiene

N-Hexane

Vinyl Acetate

Chlorine

Methyl Methacrylate

Diethanolamine

90th Percentile Pollutant Standards Index Level for clean air in 2003.

Guest guest

Well, it's a neat site and nice to know these things, but in our case ---there's not much room for complaint here. It's been done for years, to no avail. I live 1 mile from DOW (formerly Union Carbide)... there are chemical plants about 1 mile both ways from me, and many others in a 20 mile range. (Including Dupont, and power plants.) Cancers and Lupus run rampant in our state. There are always law suits going on from people suing the chemical plants for one thing or another... especially when we have chemical leaks.

Thanks for posting it, Rogene!

Brig :)

In a message dated 8/12/2006 11:22:43 AM Eastern Standard Time, saxony01@... writes:

I'm thrilled . . . the very thing that excited me (fresh air) when we visited here for the first time is confirmed . . . 71909 - after moving from 75012 - where the freeway and air traffic noises were constant!

I think the point of the Scorecard is to get people to take action to get local industries and government to take action.

Rogene

Guest guest

I'm thrilled . . . the very thing that excited me (fresh air) when we visited here for the first time is confirmed . . . 71909 - after moving from 75012 - where the freeway and air traffic noises were constant! I think the point of the Scorecard is to get people to take action to get local industries and government to take action. RogeneKissofSadness@... wrote: Oh, gheesh! My county

(Kanawha 25143) ranks in the worst 10% of all counties in the US for all of these things... here are a few things it says: Air Pollutants That Pose Cancer and Other Health RisksBased on EPA's most current data, this county ranked among the dirtiest/worst 10% of all counties in the US in terms of an average individual's added cancer risk from hazardous air pollutants. Smog and Soot: How Much Air Pollution is Released in Your Community?In 1999, this county ranked among the dirtiest/worst 10% of all counties in the U.S. in terms of volatile organic compound emissions. Toxic Chemicals Released by Factories, Power Plants and Other Industrial Companies In 2002, this county ranked among the dirtiest/worst 10% of all counties in the U.S. in terms of total environmental releases. The top chemicals released in my county (which isn't that big) are: Nitrate Compounds Hydrochloric Acid Ammonia Sodium Nitrite Sulfuric Acid Hydrofluoric Acid Ethylene Glycol Ethylene Methanol Styrene Methyl Isobutyl Ketone Propylene Lead Dicyclopentadiene N-Hexane Vinyl Acetate Chlorine Methyl Methacrylate Diethanolamine 90th Percentile Pollutant Standards Index Level for clean air in 2003.

Guest guest

In the current climate, corporations have a liscense to do whatever they want . . .only ethical corporations, with a heart, are interested in protecting their employess and the environment. It's going to take a change in leadership (big time) to change anything significant. In the meantime, people try to figure out how to pay the the health care costs . . . Watching C-Span right now . . . Very Interesting! . . . Rogene KissofSadness@... wrote: Well, it's a neat site and nice to know these things, but in our case ---there's not much room for complaint here. It's been done for years, to no avail. I live 1 mile from DOW (formerly Union Carbide)... there are chemical plants about 1 mile both ways from me, and many others in a 20 mile range. (Including Dupont, and power plants.) Cancers and Lupus run rampant in our state. There are always law suits going on from people suing the chemical plants for one thing or another... especially when we have chemical leaks. Thanks for posting it, Rogene! Brig :) In a message dated 8/12/2006 11:22:43 AM Eastern Standard Time, saxony01

writes: I'm thrilled . . . the very thing that excited me (fresh air) when we visited here for the first time is confirmed . . . 71909 - after moving from 75012 - where the freeway and air traffic noises were constant! I think the point of the Scorecard is to get people to take action to get local industries and government to take action. Rogene