methionine, a sulfur-containing amino acid, and ATP, an energy

producing compound. SAM-e has shown promise in treating the symptoms

of fibromyalgia. Several studies have shown a reduction in the number

of tender points and amount of pain, as well as improvement in mood,

in people with fibromyalgia who took SAM-e [Am Jour Med 1987 Nov

20;83].

Source: Natural Treatments for Fibromyalgia: An A to Z Guide, by Kenna

Guest guest

I have been on SAM-e for 16 days, in the last 4 days I feel like I am going down a depression tunnel. Apathy, can't force myself out of bed. I feel emotionally numb. I have nothing to say.

Anti social, Paranoid, my memory is like it has been erased. I can't find words in conversation.

To the point of embarressment. Vornan, what does SAM-e do? Does it raise Serotonin and Dopamine? I also am on 60mg Cymbalta for Fibromyalgia and 5htp,Gaba and DHEA

Thanks for help,

Judy Deese

Re: Is there anything that can restore libido for a short time period?

hi survivor,I tried SAM-e for 3 months, and initially it raised sexual function,(for about a month) although this effect was probably enhanced becauseof quitting SSRIs. However, this so called "natural supplement" is inmy opinion dangerous. It gave me tachycardia (my resting heart ratewas always between 90-100 bpm, one of the reasons I went to acardiologist to check if something was wrong), anxiety, and after thismonth, worse genital anesthesia and decline in libido than SSRIs!However, its worse effect was seen at the 3rd month, which was apathy(something that never happened to me on SSRIs). I felt not motivatedfor anything and could not derive ANY kind of pleasure even fromsimple everyday activities such as smoking, eating or exercising. Thiswas a terrible sensation - the feeling of not having feelings, sort ofbeing like a robot inside-, which, to my great relief went away about2 weeks after quitting SAM-e . It seems that SAM-e, after initiallyboosting dopamine and serotonin, in the long run it depletes thenerve cells of them, causing this side effect. All the clinical trialsfor SAM-e up to now have not lasted more than 4-8 weeks, so this lateeffect was not seen.

Guest guest

Hey Judy, you still here? How are you?

Maybe reduce the 5htp or cymbalta. Too much serotonin is bad.

>

> I have been on SAM-e for 16 days, in the last 4 days I feel like I

am going down a depression tunnel. Apathy, can't force myself out of

bed. I feel emotionally numb. I have nothing to say.

> Anti social, Paranoid, my memory is like it has been erased. I can't

find words in conversation.

> To the point of embarressment. Vornan, what does SAM-e do? Does it

raise Serotonin and Dopamine? I also am on 60mg Cymbalta for

Fibromyalgia and 5htp,Gaba and DHEA

> Thanks for help,

> Judy Deese

> Re: Is there anything that can restore libido

for a short time period?

>

>

> hi survivor,

> I tried SAM-e for 3 months, and initially it raised sexual function,

> (for about a month) although this effect was probably enhanced because

> of quitting SSRIs. However, this so called " natural supplement " is in

> my opinion dangerous. It gave me tachycardia (my resting heart rate

> was always between 90-100 bpm, one of the reasons I went to a

> cardiologist to check if something was wrong), anxiety, and after this

> month, worse genital anesthesia and decline in libido than SSRIs!

> However, its worse effect was seen at the 3rd month, which was apathy

> (something that never happened to me on SSRIs). I felt not motivated

> for anything and could not derive ANY kind of pleasure even from

> simple everyday activities such as smoking, eating or exercising. This

> was a terrible sensation - the feeling of not having feelings, sort of

> being like a robot inside-, which, to my great relief went away about

> 2 weeks after quitting SAM-e . It seems that SAM-e, after initially

> boosting dopamine and serotonin, in the long run it depletes the

> nerve cells of them, causing this side effect. All the clinical trials

> for SAM-e up to now have not lasted more than 4-8 weeks, so this late

> effect was not seen.

>

Guest guest

I stopped the SAM-e 3 days ago and feel a little better. I ran out of 5htp yesterday. Wondering if I should continue with it. Maybe I will take a few days off of it . I think I was on overload trying to increse Dopamine.

Thanks for asking Judy Deese

Re: Is there anything that can restore libidofor a short time period?> > > hi survivor,> I tried SAM-e for 3 months, and initially it raised sexual function,> (for about a month) although this effect was probably enhanced because> of quitting SSRIs. However, this so called "natural supplement" is in> my opinion dangerous. It gave me tachycardia (my resting heart rate> was always between 90-100 bpm, one of the reasons I went to a> cardiologist to check if something was wrong), anxiety, and after this> month, worse genital anesthesia and decline in libido than SSRIs!> However, its worse effect was seen at the 3rd month, which was apathy> (something that never happened to me on SSRIs). I felt not motivated> for anything and could not derive ANY kind of pleasure even from> simple everyday activities such as smoking, eating or exercising. This> was a terrible sensation - the feeling of not having feelings, sort of> being like a robot inside-, which, to my great relief went away about> 2 weeks after quitting SAM-e . It seems that SAM-e, after initially> boosting dopamine and serotonin, in the long run it depletes the> nerve cells of them, causing this side effect. All the clinical trials> for SAM-e up to now have not lasted more than 4-8 weeks, so this late> effect was not seen.>

Guest guest

Judy,

Please DO NOT take the SNRI Cymbalta with 5-HTP or with SAM-E or even with St. 's Wort as taking them whilst you are on Cymbalta has the potential to cause the dangerous Serotonin Syndrome. SAM-E, 5-HTP and St. 's Wort all increase serotonin and Cymbalta also increases serotonin. Stop taking the natural supplements like SAM-E and 5-HTP until you come off the Cymbalta. It's best not to take natural supplements whilst you are taking prescription medication as they can interact and cause unpleasant, or even dangerous, side-effects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin_syndrome

Never suddenly stop taking any prescription medication like Cymbalta or anti-depressants. If you decide to come off the Cymbalta, taper off slowly over a period of several months and under the supervision of your doctor.

Here are other patient's experiences with Cymbalta (don't worry - it doesn't mean you will get all their symptoms too!):

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=21427 & name=CYMBALTA

Here is information about Cymbalta:

http://www.drugs.com/cymbalta.html

Cymbalta is an SNRI and the following is from the Cymbalta website:

"How Cymbalta Works

Cymbalta offers relief from symptoms of depression, generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), diabetic nerve pain (DNP), and fibromyalgia. Over 9 million patients in the United States have been treated with Cymbalta. Cymbalta is not a narcotic.

While the mechanism of action for Cymbalta is not fully known, its effects on depression, GAD, DNP, and fibromyalgia may be due to increasing the activity of two naturally occurring substances in the central nervous system, serotonin and norepinephrine. Cymbalta is in a class of medications called selective SNRIs (serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors), and is FDA-approved for the treatment of depression and GAD and the management of DNP and fibromyalgia.

SNRIs are a class of medications that are thought to relieve symptoms by affecting the levels of serotonin and norepinephrine in the brain and in the spinal cord. By reducing the absorption of serotonin and norepinephrine into cells, SNRIs increase the levels of these two substances."

Good luck, Judy.

> >> > I have been on SAM-e for 16 days, in the last 4 days I feel like I> am going down a depression tunnel. Apathy, can't force myself out of> bed. I feel emotionally numb. I have nothing to say.> > Anti social, Paranoid, my memory is like it has been erased. I can't> find words in conversation.> > To the point of embarressment. Vornan, what does SAM-e do? Does it> raise Serotonin and Dopamine? I also am on 60mg Cymbalta for> Fibromyalgia and 5htp,Gaba and DHEA> > Thanks for help,> > Judy Deese> > Re: Is there anything that can restore libido> for a short time period?> > > > > > hi survivor,> > I tried SAM-e for 3 months, and initially it raised sexual function,> > (for about a month) although this effect was probably enhanced because> > of quitting SSRIs. However, this so called "natural supplement" is in> > my opinion dangerous. It gave me tachycardia (my resting heart rate> > was always between 90-100 bpm, one of the reasons I went to a> > cardiologist to check if something was wrong), anxiety, and after this> > month, worse genital anesthesia and decline in libido than SSRIs!> > However, its worse effect was seen at the 3rd month, which was apathy> > (something that never happened to me on SSRIs). I felt not motivated> > for anything and could not derive ANY kind of pleasure even from> > simple everyday activities such as smoking, eating or exercising. This> > was a terrible sensation - the feeling of not having feelings, sort of> > being like a robot inside-, which, to my great relief went away about> > 2 weeks after quitting SAM-e . It seems that SAM-e, after initially> > boosting dopamine and serotonin, in the long run it depletes the> > nerve cells of them, causing this side effect. All the clinical trials> > for SAM-e up to now have not lasted more than 4-8 weeks, so this late> > effect was not seen.> >>