RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Cough

Rate this topic

Guest guest

hi there,

my dad's doctor has recommended that his supplemental 02 keep his levels at 89-90% whether at rest or on exertion. for him that means 1 Lpm at rest and 5 Lpm on exertion. It seems that perhaps your husband should be on a higher 02 level on exertion??

anne (dad ipf 03/06)

cough

He is already on 4 liters of oxygen when sitting and 5 when walking or on exertion....The cough is totally non productive...just wears him out! . He is on Medicare so I don't know if they pay for pulse ox meter or not...I will check it out...I do know his sats drop very low 73-80, even on 4 or 5 liters, if he walks just a few feet.

Thanks for your suggestions and support!

geri

Guest guest

my insurance paid for my pulse/ox but teri and jon are having trouble

getting their insurance to pay for their's. she was able to find a

new one for purchase for $199. i'm sure if you asked her she could

tell you the name of the site in which to order from.

PF 10-05

Guest guest

The Mucinex isn't going to suppress the cough. It's an expectorant so it thins the mucous and makes it easier to cough up and clear. I wouldn't stop taking the Mucinex but ask your doctor if you can take something like Delsym.

Delsym is an over the counter cough medicine similar to Robitussin but it works better than the Robitussin type medications for me. It's formulated so you only have to take it once every 12 hours so it's nice at bedtime. I can't take the codeine prescription cough meds as coedeine gives me migraines but this really does work for me at least for now.

Hope that helps!

Beth IPF 06/06Draw close. Hold hands. Life is short. God is good.

Cough

Maybe someone out there can give me some ideas. I coughed for over an hour and then some last night. Isn't there a medicine that would help? I take Mucinex twice a day for cough but sometimes it does not do the job. My Pul. does not like to prescribe narcotic based drugs. I was at the point of going out in the street to score some drugs if I could walk that far. Any help will be appreciated. I am not taking anything else for this disease.

All-new Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

Guest guest

MucinexDM says it is a cough supperssant also. I have some Delsym but have never taken it. I will try it today. I appreciate the advice. I love this group. Beth wrote: , The Mucinex isn't going to suppress the cough. It's an expectorant so it thins the mucous and makes it easier to cough up and clear. I wouldn't stop taking the Mucinex but ask

your doctor if you can take something like Delsym. Delsym is an over the counter cough medicine similar to Robitussin but it works better than the Robitussin type medications for me. It's formulated so you only have to take it once every 12 hours so it's nice at bedtime. I can't take the codeine prescription cough meds as coedeine gives me migraines but this really does work for me at least for now. Hope that helps! Beth IPF 06/06Draw close. Hold hands. Life is short. God is good. Cough Maybe someone out there can give me some ideas. I coughed for over an hour and then some last night. Isn't there a medicine that would help? I take Mucinex twice a day for cough but sometimes it does not do the job. My Pul. does not like to prescribe narcotic based drugs. I was at the point of going out in the street to score some drugs if I could walk that far. Any help will be appreciated. I am not taking anything else for this disease. All-new Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

Stay in the know. Pulse on the new Yahoo.com. Check it out.

Guest guest

The doc has always had me keep on hand Benzonatate (Tessalon Pearle)...prescription. They are small yellow gel pills. They suppress the cough without narcotic. I only take them at night to get some sleep. If your cough is productive, you don't want to supress it. Mucus needs to be cleared out. But, you have to sleep sometimes. I need a refill right now and I also had a sleepless night. I took Delsym which is over the counter, but it has alcohol in it and many of my meds warn against anything with alcohol in it. I feel a little weird today, but I finally did sleep a little.

Hugs, Joyce PF 1997 >> Maybe someone out there can give me some ideas. I coughed for over an hour and then some last night. Isn't there a medicine that would help? I take Mucinex twice a day for cough but sometimes it does not do the job. My Pul. does not like to prescribe narcotic based drugs. I was at the point of going out in the street to score some drugs if I could walk that far. Any help will be appreciated. I am not taking anything else for this disease.> > > > ---------------------------------> All-new Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.>

Guest guest

My dr gives me Vicadin for the pain plus it stops the coughing, I used to cough like mad,now I never cough.

Guest guest

E.

If your cough is productive you should not suppress it with cough meds except to sleep. Leaving mucus laying around in your bronchia is a direct path to infection in your lungs...infection..inflamation...more scar tissue!

I developed Bronchiectasis about 2 years ago. It is not uncommon with Pulmonary Fibrosis. I kept telling the doc that I was having productive coughing. Finally he did a HRCT and found the bronchiectasis. I had never heard of it. It is a rare lung disease, but not so rare if you have pulmonary fibrosis. It is a killer because it allows mucus to pool in the bronchia and it in turn gets infected. Thus a lot of us die with pneumonias.

I keep trying to make all of you aware of this disease. I had never heard of it. If you are having productive coughing on a regular basis, it is worth looking into. There are definate treatments (postural drainage, percussion therapy, nebulizer meds that help bring that stuff out). I wish I had been alert to this sooner.

Hugs, Joyce 1997

>> Any ideas to supress this awful cough? I have tried Mucinex, Tessalon-Perles, Deslyn. It is usually at night just before bedtime. I am going to start Pul. Rehab on Wednesday. Maybe that will help, or not. E IPF 12/ 05> > ---------------------------------> Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1ยข/min.>