RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

RE: Weight Gain

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My mom is 5'9" and weighs about 105 lbs. She was diagnosised with Bronchiectasis a few years ago, but I don't think any of her doctors are very knowledgable about this disease and she's loosing so much weight it's frightening. I googled Megastrol and it said that it was a medication to treat breast cancer, but said nothing about weight gain. Is this true or is there any other treatment for her to gain weight? She is on protein powder from the GNC store, and also drinks protein shakes, but nothing seems to work. I'm so worried about her and I need some advise.

Reply-To: bronchiectasis To: bronchiectasis Subject: Weight GainDate: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 18:59:31 -0000

Hey everyone! Like I was saing before I was weighing 110 lbs at 5'10". My doctor put me on Megastrol to gain weight, it is a hormone of some kind. It was REALLY working. I have gained about 15 pounds in 3 weeks. I am so excited!More pounds to come .....lol

Play Flexicon: the crossword game that feeds your brain. PLAY now for FREE.

Guest guest

I would suggest a nutritionist or dietician. Some bronchiectasis

patients need extra protein. A person can exist for a long time

drinking the Ensure plus or with fiber.

Guest guest

Hi ,

The protein shakes will give your Mum nourishment, but I doubt she will put on weight with those alone. Does your Mum have an appetite at all, and are there any foods that she enjoys? If so, she should try to eat as much as possible. We were told in pulmonary rehab classes that even a little fatty food is not so bad when you are underweight and need to build up. Is this a gradual weight loss, or because she is recovering from an infection or flareup? I usually find that once I start to feel well, my appetite improves, and I start to put on weight.

I hope your Mum will improve soon.

Love Bunny

Guest guest

I agree with Karin. When I had to gain weight (was underweight) to help fight infections the dietician told me to incorporate extra protein in my diet. She also felt that adding peanut butter to homemade milk shakes was helpful for some of us. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to peanut butter. However, there is a nut free butter available - made of peas - golden peabutter. If I had to gain weight now this is one product that I'd add to my shakes. One of mom's from a CF group also recommended Ovaltine which can be added to homogenized milk and shakes. Ovaltine actually is a good source of 5 essential nutrients: Vit A: 25% Thiamine: 25% Vit C: 30% Iron: 25% Niacin: 15% You can make homemade soups using 2% or homogenized milk. One of my favourites is creamy carrot soup. Other good products are Boost,

Ensure, Scandishakes, etc ... Homemade Blizzards (ice cream made with cookies, candy and even chocolate or caramel syrup added) was one of my favourites. Modeled after Diary Queen's Blizzard treats. Yummy! When I was underweight and needing to gain mashed potatoes with extra butter and milk almost like a soup was one of my favourites. MCT oil has been used by some wit CF to help gain weight. With a doctor's approval exercise is also important, as it helps to build muscle and an appetite. We need both in fighting bronch. Although this Norma's site is intended for persons with CF much of the information can help those who have non-CF bronchiectasis (a kind unrelated to CF lung disease). The following contains sites pertaining to nutrition and weight gain: www3.nbnet.nb.ca/normap/nutrisupp.htm Hope this is helpful, Hugs, :0) Liz Pre-Lung Transplant Journey - For updates please visit my carepage and leave a message. Thank you! :o) carepages.com name: maryelizabethholt Please watch: Live Life Then Give Life! - UK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz33i6prkuQ. "Don't take your organs to Heaven, heaven knows we need them here."

Share your photos with the people who matter at Yahoo! Canada Photos

Guest guest

Great advice Bunny. Often I have also found that smaller meals and snacks are better than eating nothing at all. Sometimes eating a small amount helps to get me eating when my appetite is small and even cheese and crackers is good. If I eat to much my stomach pushes up on my diaphragm and causing discomfort. Also hoping 's mom is feeling better and soon. Hugs, :0) LizPre-Lung Transplant Journey - For updates please visit my carepage and leave a message. Thank you! :o) carepages.com name: maryelizabethholt Please watch: Live Life Then Give Life! - UK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz33i6prkuQ. "Don't take your organs to Heaven, heaven knows we need them here."

The best gets better. See why everyone is raving about the All-new Yahoo! Mail.

Guest guest

Thank you for all your suggestions. We're pretty desperate and my mom is willing to try anything. I think part of her problem with maintaining weight is as soon as she eats anything it goes right through her. She has had about 27 different tests run on her from pet scans to tilt table test, cat scans to a colonoscopy and they have found nothing wrong with her aside from the bronchiectasis.

I've learned something and maybe this might help you guys too.

My dr explained it to me like this.

Breathing uses calories just like anything else we do. But because we struggle with breathing..and our infections..this uses up an enormous amount of our precious energy.

When we walk, or clean, climb stairs ..whatever, it leaves a lot of us breathless..our heart pumps faster..our breathing is comprimised. The small tasks which leave us SOB is like someone running several blocks..

If you can put this into context then you'd understand why some of us are so thin and find it hard to maintain a healthy weight.

Sandie in MD

My Tears don't comprimise my Strength...They never have...

Guest guest

IBS perhaps?

I suffered from IBS for well over 5 years..and it was hell. Turns out my IBS was related to stress..as soon as I elminated the stressor..the IBS was under control till absolutely gone..it's not always about the foods we eat..

Sandie in MD

My Tears don't comprimise my Strength...They never have...

Guest guest

Thank you for all your suggestions. We're pretty desperate and my mom is

willing to try anything. I think part of her problem with maintaining

weight is as soon as she eats anything it goes right through her. She has

had about 27 different tests run on her from pet scans to tilt table test,

cat scans to a colonoscopy and they have found nothing wrong with her aside

from the bronchiectasis.

I wish there was some kind of quick fix or miracle drug to help her and all

of you. It's such a frustrating disease and my heart and prayers go out to

all of you who suffer from this.

>

>Reply-To: bronchiectasis

>To: bronchiectasis

>Subject: Re: Re: Weight Gain

>Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 01:13:32 -0500 (EST)

>

>I agree with Karin. When I had to gain weight (was underweight) to help

>fight infections the dietician told me to incorporate extra protein in my

>diet. She also felt that adding peanut butter to homemade milk shakes was

>helpful for some of us. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to peanut butter.

>However, there is a nut free butter available - made of peas - golden

>peabutter. If I had to gain weight now this is one product that I'd add to

>my shakes.

>

> One of mom's from a CF group also recommended Ovaltine which can be

>added to homogenized milk and shakes. Ovaltine actually is a good source of

>5 essential nutrients:

>

> Vit A: 25%

> Thiamine: 25%

> Vit C: 30%

> Iron: 25%

> Niacin: 15%

>

> You can make homemade soups using 2% or homogenized milk. One of my

>favourites is creamy carrot soup.

>

> Other good products are Boost, Ensure, Scandishakes, etc ...

>

> Homemade Blizzards (ice cream made with cookies, candy and even

>chocolate or caramel syrup added) was one of my favourites. Modeled after

>Diary Queen's Blizzard treats. Yummy!

>

> When I was underweight and needing to gain mashed potatoes with extra

>butter and milk almost like a soup was one of my favourites.

>

> MCT oil has been used by some wit CF to help gain weight.

>

> With a doctor's approval exercise is also important, as it helps to

>build muscle and an appetite. We need both in fighting bronch.

>

> Although this Norma's site is intended for persons with CF much of the

>information can help those who have non-CF bronchiectasis (a kind unrelated

>to CF lung disease). The following contains sites pertaining to nutrition

>and weight gain:

>

> www3.nbnet.nb.ca/normap/nutrisupp.htm

>

> Hope this is helpful,

>

> Hugs, :0)

> Liz

>

>

>

>

>

>

>Pre-Lung Transplant Journey - For updates please visit my carepage and

>leave a message. Thank you! :o)

> carepages.com name: maryelizabethholt

>

>Please watch: Live Life Then Give Life! - UK

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz33i6prkuQ.

>

> " Don't take your organs to Heaven, heaven knows we need them here. "

>

>

>---------------------------------

>Share your photos with the people who matter at Yahoo! Canada Photos

Refi Now: Rates near 39yr lows! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate

new payment

http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-17727 & moid=7581

Guest guest

IBS perhaps?

>

> Thank you for all your suggestions. We're pretty desperate and my

mom is

> willing to try anything. I think part of her problem with maintaining

> weight is as soon as she eats anything it goes right through her.

She has

> had about 27 different tests run on her from pet scans to tilt table

test,

> cat scans to a colonoscopy and they have found nothing wrong with

her aside

> from the bronchiectasis.

>

> I wish there was some kind of quick fix or miracle drug to help her

and all

> of you. It's such a frustrating disease and my heart and prayers go

out to

> all of you who suffer from this.

>

> >

> >Reply-To: bronchiectasis

> >To: bronchiectasis

> >Subject: Re: Re: Weight Gain

> >Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 01:13:32 -0500 (EST)

> >

> >I agree with Karin. When I had to gain weight (was underweight) to

help

> >fight infections the dietician told me to incorporate extra protein

in my

> >diet. She also felt that adding peanut butter to homemade milk

shakes was

> >helpful for some of us. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to peanut butter.

> >However, there is a nut free butter available - made of peas - golden

> >peabutter. If I had to gain weight now this is one product that I'd

add to

> >my shakes.

> >

> > One of mom's from a CF group also recommended Ovaltine which can be

> >added to homogenized milk and shakes. Ovaltine actually is a good

source of

> >5 essential nutrients:

> >

> > Vit A: 25%

> > Thiamine: 25%

> > Vit C: 30%

> > Iron: 25%

> > Niacin: 15%

> >

> > You can make homemade soups using 2% or homogenized milk. One of my

> >favourites is creamy carrot soup.

> >

> > Other good products are Boost, Ensure, Scandishakes, etc ...

> >

> > Homemade Blizzards (ice cream made with cookies, candy and even

> >chocolate or caramel syrup added) was one of my favourites. Modeled

after

> >Diary Queen's Blizzard treats. Yummy!

> >

> > When I was underweight and needing to gain mashed potatoes with

extra

> >butter and milk almost like a soup was one of my favourites.

> >

> > MCT oil has been used by some wit CF to help gain weight.

> >

> > With a doctor's approval exercise is also important, as it helps to

> >build muscle and an appetite. We need both in fighting bronch.

> >

> > Although this Norma's site is intended for persons with CF much

of the

> >information can help those who have non-CF bronchiectasis (a kind

unrelated

> >to CF lung disease). The following contains sites pertaining to

nutrition

> >and weight gain:

> >

> > www3.nbnet.nb.ca/normap/nutrisupp.htm

> >

> > Hope this is helpful,

> >

> > Hugs, :0)

> > Liz

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >Pre-Lung Transplant Journey - For updates please visit my carepage and

> >leave a message. Thank you! :o)

> > carepages.com name: maryelizabethholt

> >

> >Please watch: Live Life Then Give Life! - UK

> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz33i6prkuQ.

> >

> > " Don't take your organs to Heaven, heaven knows we need them here. "

> >

> >

> >---------------------------------

> >Share your photos with the people who matter at Yahoo! Canada Photos

>

> _________________________________________________________________

> Refi Now: Rates near 39yr lows! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo -

Calculate

> new payment

>

http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-17727 & moid=7581

>

Guest guest

I've got IBS.. I watch my food.... stress is the big factor and take Dictel pills with my meals.

So far ..so good. Certain foods do set me off but its not uncontrollable like before.

Debbie/Canada

From: bronchiectasis [mailto:bronchiectasis ] On Behalf Of HaydenSent: Saturday, February 17, 2007 8:17 AMTo: bronchiectasis Subject: Re: Re: Weight Gain

Thank you for all your suggestions. We're pretty desperate and my mom is willing to try anything. I think part of her problem with maintaining weight is as soon as she eats anything it goes right through her. She has had about 27 different tests run on her from pet scans to tilt table test, cat scans to a colonoscopy and they have found nothing wrong with her aside from the bronchiectasis.I wish there was some kind of quick fix or miracle drug to help her and all of you. It's such a frustrating disease and my heart and prayers go out to all of you who suffer from this.>From: Holt <maryholt12yahoo (DOT) ca>>Reply-To: bronchiectasis >To: bronchiectasis >Subject: Re: Re: Weight Gain>Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 01:13:32 -0500 (EST)>>I agree with Karin. When I had to gain weight (was underweight) to help >fight infections the dietician told me to incorporate extra protein in my >diet. She also felt that adding peanut butter to homemade milk shakes was >helpful for some of us. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to peanut butter. >However, there is a nut free butter available - made of peas - golden >peabutter. If I had to gain weight now this is one product that I'd add to >my shakes.>> One of mom's from a CF group also recommended Ovaltine which can be >added to homogenized milk and shakes. Ovaltine actually is a good source of >5 essential nutrients:>> Vit A: 25%> Thiamine: 25%> Vit C: 30%> Iron: 25%> Niacin: 15%>> You can make homemade soups using 2% or homogenized milk. One of my >favourites is creamy carrot soup.>> Other good products are Boost, Ensure, Scandishakes, etc ...>> Homemade Blizzards (ice cream made with cookies, candy and even >chocolate or caramel syrup added) was one of my favourites. Modeled after >Diary Queen's Blizzard treats. Yummy!>> When I was underweight and needing to gain mashed potatoes with extra >butter and milk almost like a soup was one of my favourites.>> MCT oil has been used by some wit CF to help gain weight.>> With a doctor's approval exercise is also important, as it helps to >build muscle and an appetite. We need both in fighting bronch.>> Although this Norma's site is intended for persons with CF much of the >information can help those who have non-CF bronchiectasis (a kind unrelated >to CF lung disease). The following contains sites pertaining to nutrition >and weight gain:>> www3.nbnet.nb.ca/normap/nutrisupp.htm>> Hope this is helpful,>> Hugs, :0)> Liz>>>>>>>Pre-Lung Transplant Journey - For updates please visit my carepage and >leave a message. Thank you! :o)> carepages.com name: maryelizabethholt>>Please watch: Live Life Then Give Life! - UK>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz33i6prkuQ.>> "Don't take your organs to Heaven, heaven knows we need them here.">>>--------------------------------->Share your photos with the people who matter at Yahoo! Canada Photos__________________________________________________________Refi Now: Rates near 39yr lows! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate new payment http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-17727 & moid=7581

Guest guest

Dear , Has your mom ever been tested for cystic fibrosis? A person is never too old to be tested for it. Sometimes its diagnosed in people over 50. She may need enzymes to help with digestion. This in turn could help her to gain weight. A complete genetic screen is best and in some cases nasal potential difference (NPD)testing. Unfortunately, the NPD is only available at a few of the larger research hospitals. Sweat testing can in rare cases miss a CF diagnosis. Have her doctors considered celiac disease? www.celiac.ca/ Hugs, :0) Liz Hayden wrote: Thank you for all your suggestions. We're pretty desperate and my mom is willing to try anything. I think part of her problem with maintaining weight is as soon as she eats anything it goes right through her. She has had about 27 different tests run on her from pet scans to tilt table test, cat scans to a colonoscopy and they have found nothing wrong with her aside from the bronchiectasis.I wish there was some kind of quick fix or miracle drug to help her and all of you. It's such a frustrating disease and my heart and prayers go out to all of you who suffer from this.>From: Holt <maryholt12yahoo (DOT) ca>>Reply-To: bronchiectasis >To: bronchiectasis >Subject: Re: Re: Weight Gain>Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 01:13:32 -0500 (EST)>>I agree with Karin. When I had to gain weight (was underweight) to help >fight infections the dietician told me to incorporate extra protein in my >diet. She also felt that adding peanut butter to homemade milk shakes was >helpful for some of us. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to peanut butter. >However, there is a nut free butter available - made of peas - golden >peabutter. If I had to gain weight now this is one product that I'd add to >my shakes.>> One of mom's from a CF group also recommended Ovaltine which can be

>added to homogenized milk and shakes. Ovaltine actually is a good source of >5 essential nutrients:>> Vit A: 25%> Thiamine: 25%> Vit C: 30%> Iron: 25%> Niacin: 15%>> You can make homemade soups using 2% or homogenized milk. One of my >favourites is creamy carrot soup.>> Other good products are Boost, Ensure, Scandishakes, etc ...>> Homemade Blizzards (ice cream made with cookies, candy and even >chocolate or caramel syrup added) was one of my favourites. Modeled after >Diary Queen's Blizzard treats. Yummy!>> When I was underweight and needing to gain mashed potatoes with extra >butter and milk almost like a soup was one of my favourites.>> MCT oil has been used by some wit CF to help gain weight.>> With a doctor's approval exercise is also important, as it helps to >build muscle and an appetite. We

need both in fighting bronch.>> Although this Norma's site is intended for persons with CF much of the >information can help those who have non-CF bronchiectasis (a kind unrelated >to CF lung disease). The following contains sites pertaining to nutrition >and weight gain:>> www3.nbnet.nb.ca/normap/nutrisupp.htm>> Hope this is helpful,>> Hugs, :0)> Liz>>>>>>>Pre-Lung Transplant Journey - For updates please visit my carepage and >leave a message. Thank you! :o)> carepages.com name: maryelizabethholt>>Please watch: Live Life Then Give Life! - UK>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz33i6prkuQ.>> "Don't take your organs to Heaven, heaven knows we need them

here.">>>--------------------------------->Share your photos with the people who matter at Yahoo! Canada Photos__________________________________________________________Refi Now: Rates near 39yr lows! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate new payment http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-17727 & moid=7581Pre-Lung Transplant Journey - For updates please visit my carepage and leave a message. Thank you! :o) carepages.com name: maryelizabethholt Please watch: Live Life Then Give Life! - UK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz33i6prkuQ. "Don't take your organs to Heaven, heaven knows we need them here."

Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail

Guest guest

oh PS>

I used to freak out that I'd have a attack whilst I was driving to work. (I know all the bathrooms stops)

I take a 1/2 a anit-diarrhea pill every morning before I do the drive to work. Its mostly a pchysiology thing now.

Cause on the weekends I dont need them. So once you've calmed down... found your triggers.... its controable.

I'm 5'6 and 117lbs and tests will never really find it.

Debbie

From: bronchiectasis [mailto:bronchiectasis ] On Behalf Of HaydenSent: Saturday, February 17, 2007 8:17 AMTo: bronchiectasis Subject: Re: Re: Weight Gain

Thank you for all your suggestions. We're pretty desperate and my mom is willing to try anything. I think part of her problem with maintaining weight is as soon as she eats anything it goes right through her. She has had about 27 different tests run on her from pet scans to tilt table test, cat scans to a colonoscopy and they have found nothing wrong with her aside from the bronchiectasis.I wish there was some kind of quick fix or miracle drug to help her and all of you. It's such a frustrating disease and my heart and prayers go out to all of you who suffer from this.>From: Holt <maryholt12yahoo (DOT) ca>>Reply-To: bronchiectasis >To: bronchiectasis >Subject: Re: Re: Weight Gain>Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 01:13:32 -0500 (EST)>>I agree with Karin. When I had to gain weight (was underweight) to help >fight infections the dietician told me to incorporate extra protein in my >diet. She also felt that adding peanut butter to homemade milk shakes was >helpful for some of us. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to peanut butter. >However, there is a nut free butter available - made of peas - golden >peabutter. If I had to gain weight now this is one product that I'd add to >my shakes.>> One of mom's from a CF group also recommended Ovaltine which can be >added to homogenized milk and shakes. Ovaltine actually is a good source of >5 essential nutrients:>> Vit A: 25%> Thiamine: 25%> Vit C: 30%> Iron: 25%> Niacin: 15%>> You can make homemade soups using 2% or homogenized milk. One of my >favourites is creamy carrot soup.>> Other good products are Boost, Ensure, Scandishakes, etc ...>> Homemade Blizzards (ice cream made with cookies, candy and even >chocolate or caramel syrup added) was one of my favourites. Modeled after >Diary Queen's Blizzard treats. Yummy!>> When I was underweight and needing to gain mashed potatoes with extra >butter and milk almost like a soup was one of my favourites.>> MCT oil has been used by some wit CF to help gain weight.>> With a doctor's approval exercise is also important, as it helps to >build muscle and an appetite. We need both in fighting bronch.>> Although this Norma's site is intended for persons with CF much of the >information can help those who have non-CF bronchiectasis (a kind unrelated >to CF lung disease). The following contains sites pertaining to nutrition >and weight gain:>> www3.nbnet.nb.ca/normap/nutrisupp.htm>> Hope this is helpful,>> Hugs, :0)> Liz>>>>>>>Pre-Lung Transplant Journey - For updates please visit my carepage and >leave a message. Thank you! :o)> carepages.com name: maryelizabethholt>>Please watch: Live Life Then Give Life! - UK>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz33i6prkuQ.>> "Don't take your organs to Heaven, heaven knows we need them here.">>>--------------------------------->Share your photos with the people who matter at Yahoo! Canada Photos__________________________________________________________Refi Now: Rates near 39yr lows! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate new payment http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-17727 & moid=7581