RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

new here

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Angie! I am so sorry! My son has LF Autism, a seizure disorder and many other things. He will be 6 next month! He has a very hard time and we have actually thought about residential and how do you know it is time and it breaks my heart as your talk with your husband breaks yours! I am here to listen and help in any way I can and I know everyone else here is too! I have 2 other daughters. is 10 and has HF Autism sensory integration and a tic disorder and she was axtually just dxed with SI and Autism in may! is is 13 and NT! Welcome to the group! You will love it here.StacieSent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: "timothypeacock@..." Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 16:11:36 -0000To: <AutismBehaviorProblems >Subject: New here Hello, I am the parent of a 14 year-old low-functioning autistic boy. He has severe behavioral outbursts. We have done just about every medical test on him that you can imagine. Everything comes back normal or within range. Brain MRI-okay, gluten intolerance- okay, blood tests - okay, genetic test - okay. He is currently on four meds for aggression, Trileptal, Abilify, Ativan, Propanolol. Nothing seems to work. My husband is wanting to look into residential care for him. My heart is broken. I have given up on just about everything. I don't want to lose my son and we won't be a family without him in our lives and home. We live in southeastern Ohio. Thank you for letting me vent and release some frustrations. God Bless you all. Angie Peacocki

Guest guest

angie it is of much hard as a parent who wants of best for their child and they

cant seem to break through to reach of them in an outlet of mutucal

communication that is of understood between both.

please do a research on carly fleishman a 13 year considered LF autistic female

who is of found her outlet via keyboarding and she expresses self so very

clearly . she does share a sensation that I to experience mildly and moderately

but to her she feels of it profoundly, she shares it feels like her legs are of

on fire and her arms are of covered with crawling ants. which to me shouts of

over sensitive sensory sensations due to neurology and environmental imputs

which causes the nervous system to over react.

I to be fo always been of one hyper sensitive to things , medicines are a huge

trigger for me. too much bright lights are of a sensation that over a short time

will cause a serious sort of migrain like response, high pitch sounds, high

frequency sounds can cause the same sort of reaction. not being of able to

access comfort foods or sensations can create me to feel agitiated and if

prolonged it will cause of the SIB. I do not like to cause of self harm but in

the moment cant think and can only respond to my world around me which is of

seen as behaviors to others. for some of our kids we tend to think more is of

beter such as longer educational instructions, more therapy and things of this

and while that is of in part true it does not allow our systems time to recover

and the constant changes and transitions create havoc on our nervous systems and

tolerance of things the more we react the more we need to fight to resist as a

way of self adapting.

think about how hard something is of for you and lets say they now expect and

intensify it and force you to comply for extra hours instead of what you can

cope or tolerate. lets to say you hate of corn, but are required to eat it and

each time you are of to be maked to eat it you vomit which then only

intensifies you adversion to corn because you know how it is of going to make

you feel if you eat it.... now lets say you try to communicate you cant stand

corn it makes you sick but you cant and can only react and so they now instead

of putting one table spoon put a half cup to the plate and you are of forced to

eat it..... you reaction to that thinking will be of more powerful and

intense... we with autism respond much so to teh same. and so the end is of we

with autism learn we have no rights no voice to say NO and no validations to our

attempts to communicate.

now that I to explained of the process of what is of going on in the mindsets of

some of us with autism I to be of in no way say let us self endulge and in no

way saying do nothing, and in no way saying dont treat, but am of sharing so you

can have a insight to understand the core of major reactions are of often caused

by the child communicating via behavior that too much is of too much for them.

these kids also need very rigid routine and home schedules no real down time for

them to get of bored but the routine things should be of predictible and the

activies set to program can be of flexible such as can chose a TV show or

puzzle, or can chose train track or game. but to keep of them busy with then a

1/2 hour down time secluded and into a very sensory based comfort zone. many

kids like of the pup tents that one can have in the home and they pop up as soon

as they are of unfolded and then one can place a thick blanket and pillows and

books or favorite stuffed toys or things they find as calming.

Allow sunglasses to be within reach if you know they are of light sensitive, and

sound cancellation systems if they are of sound sensitive to help them cope the

over load of so many sensations, if you also note that when you are of cooking

they tend to react in behavior of agitiation and or aggression it may be of the

fumes of the meal that is of too powerful for them and seen as an adversion.

espeically if they are of very picky eaters. try of some safe aroma therapy

sorts of things within the home that can produce a sense of calm and you will

have to experiement with the scents.

make sure indoor lighting is of not bright but with the lowed level bulbs and

safe the more bright lights for specific rooms such as kitchen and one good

reading lamp.

figure out the little subtle things he shows in behavior that he is of

escalating as we rarily ever just explode we show small little subtle things

that we are of building in agitiation and overload what for these and get of a

good base line of what hims subtle ways of showing anxiety looks like, bordom

looks like, frustration looks like. so that you can begin to read of the cues

with more success of intervening before full escalation occurs.

chart on a baseline of all agitations and all acts of aggression. so that you

can see if there is of a pattern with them. if you know of the anecedent, such

as he was calm but the door bell rang and you saw the subtle cues of building,

and then as the guest is there for a short time he goes to full agitiation or

SIB or aggression then if you begin to see of a pattern you might conclude the

unexpected change , the sound of the door bell created teh sudden fight or

flight response.... led to a change in the room and the change lasted and

changed my routine, and calm I to just build to now chaos and noise that is of

overwhelming? this is of just one example of cause for a behavior outburst.

sondra

Guest guest

Angie

I am the parent of a 17 year old boy with higher functioning autism.....but dealing with alot of the same issues. We are currently taking propranolol and loxapine for behaviors....but still have meltdowns that can be pretty severe. We have tried many medications. Lithium didnt work by its self but combined with topamax it was great......but there is all the bloodwork involved.....and it got to a point of being too tramatic for my son.

We havean awesome medication doctor.....but it seems that medications just dont make things better......sometimes only worse. My son has severe OCD and anexities.....this is what triggers the behaviors. We have talked to the doctor about a surgery......inserting a brain stimulator......but have alot to check out on this still. I understand your pain.....my son is my world.

Deb

Subject: New hereTo: AutismBehaviorProblems Date: Friday, March 20, 2009, 11:11 AM

Hello,I am the parent of a 14 year-old low-functioning autistic boy. He has severe behavioral outbursts. We have done just about every medical test on him that you can imagine. Everything comes back normal or within range. Brain MRI-okay, gluten intolerance- okay, blood tests - okay, genetic test - okay. He is currently on four meds for aggression, Trileptal, Abilify, Ativan, Propanolol. Nothing seems to work. My husband is wanting to look into residential care for him. My heart is broken. I have given up on just about everything. I don't want to lose my son and we won't be a family without him in our lives and home. We live in southeastern Ohio. Thank you for letting me vent and release some frustrations. God Bless you all.Angie Peacocki

Guest guest

Thank you Stacie,

We also have a daughter who is not on the spectrum. She has had to learn to

not be dramatic as to not upset her brother. I feel like she is a much stronger

person than her peers because of her brother. Our son doen't have seizures, but

the Trileptal is for moodiness. IEP's have been horrible in the past, as have

bussing issues. We love our son and for the most part, he is a delightful boy. I

just hate that we haven't been able to help him anymore than we have. I pray to

God that he will give me the courage if we have to place him or the knowledge to

help him. Thanks again!

>

> Angie! I am so sorry! My son has LF Autism, a seizure disorder and many other

things. He will be 6 next month! He has a very hard time and we have actually

thought about residential and how do you know it is time and it breaks my heart

as your talk with your husband breaks yours! I am here to listen and help in

any way I can and I know everyone else here is too! I have 2 other daughters.

is 10 and has HF Autism sensory integration and a tic disorder and she

was axtually just dxed with SI and Autism in may! is is 13 and NT! Welcome

to the group! You will love it here.

> Stacie

> Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

>

> New here

>

>

> Hello,

> I am the parent of a 14 year-old low-functioning autistic boy. He has severe

behavioral outbursts. We have done just about every medical test on him that you

can imagine. Everything comes back normal or within range. Brain MRI-okay,

gluten intolerance- okay, blood tests - okay, genetic test - okay. He is

currently on four meds for aggression, Trileptal, Abilify, Ativan, Propanolol.

Nothing seems to work. My husband is wanting to look into residential care for

him. My heart is broken. I have given up on just about everything. I don't want

to lose my son and we won't be a family without him in our lives and home. We

live in southeastern Ohio. Thank you for letting me vent and release some

frustrations. God Bless you all.

> Angie Peacocki

>

Guest guest

Angie, I am so sorry; I understand. We have been through that with Karac when he was that age. Sometimes it is the meds that are causing the problem. The only med that helped karac without making it worse was Clonidine. have you tried that? Karac is now 16 and not on anything and he is so much better. My heart goes out to you. I had to sleep in a heavy coat with gloves and a hat on for about three weeks before Karac got detoxed from the meds that were making him worse. I will be praying for you daily.What is your son's name? Pat K

New here

Hello,

I am the parent of a 14 year-old low-functioning autistic boy. He has severe behavioral outbursts. We have done just about every medical test on him that you can imagine. Everything comes back normal or within range. Brain MRI-okay, gluten intolerance- okay, blood tests - okay, genetic test - okay. He is currently on four meds for aggression, Trileptal, Abilify, Ativan, Propanolol. Nothing seems to work. My husband is wanting to look into residential care for him. My heart is broken. I have given up on just about everything. I don't want to lose my son and we won't be a family without him in our lives and home. We live in southeastern Ohio. Thank you for letting me vent and release some frustrations. God Bless you all.

Angie Peacocki

Live traffic, local info, maps, directions and more with the NEW MapQuest Toolbar. Get it now!

Guest guest

Pat,

Our son's name is Ethan. A beautiful red head...very big, 5'10 " and 330 lbs.

Just about everyone at his school is afraid of him. He has two aides, both

women. Not a good choice...but nobody else will work with him. He had a very bad

outburst today because the bus was late. I'm sitting here crying my eyes out and

praying to God for help. Thanks for you kind words.

Angie

>

> Angie, I am so sorry; I understand.? We have been through that with Karac when

he was that age.? Sometimes it is the meds that are causing the problem. The

only med that helped karac without making it worse was Clonidine.? have you

tried that?? Karac is now 16 and not on anything and he is so much better.? My

heart goes out to you.? I had to sleep in a heavy coat with gloves and a hat on

for about three weeks before Karac got detoxed from the meds that were making

him worse.? I will be praying for you daily.What is your son's name? ?Pat K

>

>

> New here

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hello,

> I am the parent of a 14 year-old low-functioning autistic boy. He has severe

behavioral outbursts. We have done just about every medical test on him that you

can imagine. Everything comes back normal or within range. Brain MRI-okay,

gluten intolerance- okay, blood tests - okay, genetic test - okay. He is

currently on four meds for aggression, Trileptal, Abilify, Ativan, Propanolol.

Nothing seems to work. My husband is wanting to look into residential care for

him. My heart is broken. I have given up on just about everything. I don't want

to lose my son and we won't be a family without him in our lives and home. We

live in southeastern Ohio. Thank you for letting me vent and release some

frustrations. God Bless you all.

> Angie Peacocki

>

Guest guest

I love the name Ethan, and I love red hair. I am Karac's grandmother. I diagnosed Karac when he was not yet three; I have worked with him nearly 24/7 ever since. Has Ethan had ABA? How much language does Ethat have? God will give you the help you need. In the 14 years that I have worked with Karac; God has supplied all my needs. It hasn't always seemed like it at the time. I can only say that in retrospect. There are many ladies on the list who have a strong faith and a belief in prayer who will pray for you if you ask. I have written Ethan's and your name on my prayer list, and I will be praying for you every morning when I pray for Karac. You can count on it. Tell me specifically what you want me to pray for you and for Ethan. The tears are a gift; they give relief and clear the mind. Be thankful for them.

Karac doesn't like it either when things don't happen according to his expectations; What kind of things does Ethan like? Does he have a CD player or Ipod? Does he have special foods that he likes or things that he likes to do? I wait with Karac for the bus twice a week, and when I see that the bus is going to be late, I suggest he go in the backyard and play with the basketball and I will tell him when the bus is here.

Do you have any help? Family? friends? etc. Love and blessings, Pat K

New here

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hello,

> I am the parent of a 14 year-old low-functioning autistic boy. He has severe behavioral outbursts. We have done just about every medical test on him that you can imagine. Everything comes back normal or within range. Brain MRI-okay, gluten intolerance- okay, blood tests - okay, genetic test - okay. He is currently on four meds for aggression, Trileptal, Abilify, Ativan, Propanolol. Nothing seems to work. My husband is wanting to look into residential care for him. My heart is broken. I have given up on just about everything. I don't want to lose my son and we won't be a family without him in our lives and home. We live in southeastern Ohio. Thank you for letting me vent and release some frustrations. God Bless you all.

> Angie Peacocki

>

Live traffic, local info, maps, directions and more with the NEW MapQuest Toolbar. Get it now!

Guest guest

Angie,

Welcome! I am mom to JJ age 21. J takes zpraxa right now and that has helped a good deal with agression. ((HUGS)) Lois

New here

Guest guest

(((((((((((Sweet Angie))))))))))))

God love you -- my heart breaks for you. I have a little one, so you can probably teach me a lot...Welcome, you will find support here...Blessings to you as you make this hard choice...there are mom's on here who had to make them too....you are doing everything you know to do...no matter what, you are a wonderful mother...don't forget that!

Much Love,

e

(btw, some of us get daily prayers from children of destiny's website, if you are a praying lady, you might like it a lot...) Praying for you and yours now! :)

To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 11:11:36 AMSubject: New here

Hello,I am the parent of a 14 year-old low-functioning autistic boy. He has severe behavioral outbursts. We have done just about every medical test on him that you can imagine. Everything comes back normal or within range. Brain MRI-okay, gluten intolerance- okay, blood tests - okay, genetic test - okay. He is currently on four meds for aggression, Trileptal, Abilify, Ativan, Propanolol. Nothing seems to work. My husband is wanting to look into residential care for him. My heart is broken. I have given up on just about everything. I don't want to lose my son and we won't be a family without him in our lives and home. We live in southeastern Ohio. Thank you for letting me vent and release some frustrations. God Bless you all.Angie Peacocki

Guest guest

Oh, Angie...I just read this one...I'm late today getting my emails...I'm sorry you are suffering. I will pray for you tonight.

e

To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 2:45:55 PMSubject: Re: New here

Pat,Our son's name is Ethan. A beautiful red head...very big, 5'10" and 330 lbs.. Just about everyone at his school is afraid of him. He has two aides, both women. Not a good choice...but nobody else will work with him. He had a very bad outburst today because the bus was late. I'm sitting here crying my eyes out and praying to God for help. Thanks for you kind words.Angie>> Angie, I am so sorry; I understand.? We have been through that with Karac when he was that age.? Sometimes it is the meds that are causing the problem. The only med that helped karac without making it worse was Clonidine.? have you tried that?? Karac is now 16 and not on anything and he is so much better.? My heart goes out to you.? I had

to sleep in a heavy coat with gloves and a hat on for about three weeks before Karac got detoxed from the meds that were making him worse.? I will be praying for you daily.What is your son's name? ?Pat K> > > New here> > > > > > > Hello,> I am the parent of a 14 year-old low-functioning autistic boy. He has severe behavioral outbursts. We have done just about every medical test on him that you can imagine. Everything comes back normal or within range. Brain MRI-okay, gluten intolerance- okay, blood tests - okay, genetic test

- okay. He is currently on four meds for aggression, Trileptal, Abilify, Ativan, Propanolol. Nothing seems to work. My husband is wanting to look into residential care for him. My heart is broken. I have given up on just about everything. I don't want to lose my son and we won't be a family without him in our lives and home. We live in southeastern Ohio. Thank you for letting me vent and release some frustrations. God Bless you all.> Angie Peacocki>

Guest guest

Hi Angie, welcome to the group. There are many parents of children nd

teens with serious behavior issues here - that's wat the group is for.

I am a young adult with an ASD and behavior problems. I can understand

your heartache over possibly having to send your child into

residential care. I have been in a psychiatric hospital for 17 months.

It wasn't my parents'decision (I've been out of theirhouse since 2006,

almost constantlyin some form of care or another), but my own, because

of being in a crisis that I ha dno other way of riding out. I am

finally in a part of the hospital that is for preparing clients o move

back into the community (with or without support, I will likely go

into supported housing).

I recommend tha tyou look into options for residential care before

your son's situation escalates into a crisis. That way, you can find

the best possible plac eto send your child to should i be necessary

eventually... of course I hope it won't be necessary, but you won't

want to b eunprepared and then need to find an emergency placement

like I did if your child is in crisis. Most psychiatric hospitals for

aduts don't know autism, but becaus eyour child is low-functioning you

may be able to get him into a center for those with developmental

disabilities, where they generally do have some knowledge of autism.

Of course, it is better if your son can get into a community-based

support setting, but if it's impossible.

Astrid

astrid@...

http://www.astridvanwoerkom.com/

Citeren " timothypeacock@... " :

> Hello,

> I am the parent of a 14 year-old low-functioning autistic boy. He

> has severe behavioral outbursts. We have done just about every

> medical test on him that you can imagine. Everything comes back

> normal or within range. Brain MRI-okay, gluten intolerance- okay,

> blood tests - okay, genetic test - okay. He is currently on four

> meds for aggression, Trileptal, Abilify, Ativan, Propanolol. Nothing

> seems to work. My husband is wanting to look into residential care

> for him. My heart is broken. I have given up on just about

> everything. I don't want to lose my son and we won't be a family

> without him in our lives and home. We live in southeastern Ohio.

> Thank you for letting me vent and release some frustrations. God

> Bless you all.

> Angie Peacocki

>

>

Guest guest

Angie,

I'm so sorry this is going on. I know how hard the melt downs can be. has a lot of issues with the bus. If it is late I cannot drive him- he only goes to school on the bus and if the bus is late in the afternoon he will start to obsess over the birds they keep in the library and won't get on... One time the bus dropped him off and it turned right at the corner instead of left (he stands in the driveway waiting to see the stop sign on the side of the bus). had a 5 hour meltdown and it really scared me, he is to big to control easily without getting myself and his little sister hurt. Sometimes it is so hard to understand these guys. We did start medication after the 5 hour meltdown and it has helped. is 8 1/2 and we think it was the prepubery hormonal changes as well as the stress of his school day. is on a low dose of Risperdal, Lexapro (for anxiety), and adderall for

focus and attention. This combo is working pretty well but you just cannot fix things that are situational with medication. can be aggressive even on the meds but it is almost always in response to some kind of change or when he is getting physically sick. The OCD has improved slightly with his meds and he is a little more flexible but sometimes it seems nothing is working. is going to be a big boy as well. He is 4'7" and 79 lbs now and the Dr. told us he will be around 6'2"! I hope things get better soon and know I will add your family to my prayers. Kellie

To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 2:45:55 PMSubject: Re: New here

Pat,Our son's name is Ethan. A beautiful red head...very big, 5'10" and 330 lbs. Just about everyone at his school is afraid of him. He has two aides, both women. Not a good choice...but nobody else will work with him. He had a very bad outburst today because the bus was late. I'm sitting here crying my eyes out and praying to God for help. Thanks for you kind words.Angie>> Angie, I am so sorry; I understand.? We have been through that with Karac when he was that age.? Sometimes it is the meds that are causing the problem. The only med that helped karac without making it worse was Clonidine.? have you tried that?? Karac is now 16 and not on anything and he is so much better.? My heart goes out to you.? I had

to sleep in a heavy coat with gloves and a hat on for about three weeks before Karac got detoxed from the meds that were making him worse.? I will be praying for you daily.What is your son's name? ?Pat K> > > New here> > > > > > > Hello,> I am the parent of a 14 year-old low-functioning autistic boy. He has severe behavioral outbursts. We have done just about every medical test on him that you can imagine. Everything comes back normal or within range. Brain MRI-okay, gluten intolerance- okay, blood tests - okay, genetic test

- okay. He is currently on four meds for aggression, Trileptal, Abilify, Ativan, Propanolol. Nothing seems to work. My husband is wanting to look into residential care for him. My heart is broken. I have given up on just about everything. I don't want to lose my son and we won't be a family without him in our lives and home. We live in southeastern Ohio. Thank you for letting me vent and release some frustrations. God Bless you all.> Angie Peacocki>

Guest guest

Welcome Frazz....too loud, too bright, too many things going...flouresent lights, too many people...all these things can be provocative to a child who has autism...those and so many more...They can't help it...they are not to blame, they are precious and innocent, and need us adults to understand, and remain calm always....always. It's hard some days but if you let them, they will touch your heart in a way that nothing else can...teach them gently, love them, ask for help, take breaks, and pray...learn all you can...read Stanley Greenspan, read playing laughing and learning with children on the Autistic spectrum....learn about sensory stuff they might need...bear hugs, or foot rubs, or no touching at all.....have fun....respect their space...go slow, and above all

else....remember that they don't plan to be the way they are....

It is important that you have help....I'm hoping that the Grandmother is hand's on...and that you will have lots of support...I'm also hoping that at 4 or 5 they've had intervention of some kind and that the Grandmother will give you help in how to best help them...these are things you NEED to know....you must have support...she can't just drop and run. You need her too. You need to be a team. With her or the mother in the lead....it works best that way. :)

You are blessed. Post often...all questions are perfect.

e

To: AutismBehaviorProblems Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 8:45:44 PMSubject: new here

HI, my name is Frazz. Ive recently started a job taking care of 2 high functioning Autistic children, ages 4 and 5. Im helping their grandma take care of them.I joined this group because Im totally new with this and know just a very little about Autism. Ive been reading about it here and there, trying to get some information but I was thinking Id get better help in a group like this.Please forgive me aheaad of time if I say something wrong or in the wrong way and maybe offend someone.I dont think I have any questions right now besides the big question , how is the best way in general, to take care of them. I do realize that is such a broad question and everyone is different!But I just wanted to introduce myself.Frazz

Guest guest

Welcome, Frazz. I'm Pat K; I'm the grandmother to a 16 year old autistic boy. I'm happy that you are helping the children's grandma. Bless you. Pat K

new here

HI, my name is Frazz. Ive recently started a job taking care of 2 high functioning Autistic children, ages 4 and 5. Im helping their grandma take care of them.

I joined this group because Im totally new with this and know just a very little about Autism.

Ive been reading about it here and there, trying to get some information but I was thinking Id get better help in a group like this.

Please forgive me aheaad of time if I say something wrong or in the wrong way and maybe offend someone.

I dont think I have any questions right now besides the big question , how is the best way in general, to take care of them. I do realize that is such a broad question and everyone is different!

But I just wanted to introduce myself.

Frazz

Guest guest

Welcome Frazz! You will have to tell us a little about them.....I am mom to JJ age 21 with autism. I ran the autism society here in Washinton county for 13 years. Lois

new here

Guest guest

I have an autistic child and a non autistic child that are 14 months apart. The biggest difference is the lack of speech. My autistic son did not speak until he was 3.5 and had intervention, and he is high functioning autistic. The other huge thing is tantrums and I do not mean your 2 year old tantrums I mean ones that go on for 15min - an hour and are intense they bite they scream they can break things they basically lose control and they CAN NOT regain it. In a way it is not their choice.

Another huge factor is them not looking at you when they are speaking.

A few other things my son does is he paces in a circle, rocks back and forth and chews on his shirt, he will usually put a hole in a shirt everyday.

very rarely has tantrums anymore now that he has started the gluten free caisen free diet. He still requires a one on one aid in school and has one of the mildest forms of autism there is.

Holly

Subject: New hereTo: Autism-Michigan , AutismBehaviorProblems Date: Thursday, April 9, 2009, 1:12 PM

Hi, I'm Tamika, and I'm the new girl *waves*. LOLI have two kids, Makenzie who is 7, and Xander who is 5. Xander is my child who I think MAY be autistic, he is not diagnosed yet. I've found a lot of info on autism since I started researching his ADHD, and so much of it just fits him. I find myself questioning though, on some of the behaviors, when is it just the "typical kid thing" and when is it something more? Like the repeating my name until I answer... even though he's never given me a chance TO answer, the behavior issues, etc. He has an appointment with his pediatrician next Tuesday for a med check with his ADHD meds, and I thought I might bring up my concerns then. But I want to go in looking like I know what I'm talking about, instead of a parent who's just looking for attention for my child, or who has no idea. That's why I joined a few lists on yahoo. Hoping you guys might have some better info than what I've found, that can help

me either totally say "nevermind, I was overreacting. .." or to take with me to voice my concerns. And if he is autistic, to hopefully learn from parents who are more experienced, since we are just starting.Thanks for having me. :)-- Tamika

Guest guest

Hi Tamika,

Welcome, I'm Kiara, and I'm new here too, and new to the autism journey. My

only child is Krystina, who will be 9 in less than a month. She has been

recently dx Aspergers and already has a dx of ODD and SID. She has always been

difficult to parent and was close enough to neurotypical that it made it very

difficult to get a dx. I always knew that something was not quite right. I say

trust your gut instinct, often parents know long before the professionals. We

are the pro's about our kids.

>

> Hi, I'm Tamika, and I'm the new girl *waves*. LOL

> I have two kids, Makenzie who is 7, and Xander who is 5. Xander is my child

> who I think MAY be autistic, he is not diagnosed yet. I've found a lot of

> info on autism since I started researching his ADHD, and so much of it just

> fits him. I find myself questioning though, on some of the behaviors, when

> is it just the " typical kid thing " and when is it something more? Like the

> repeating my name until I answer... even though he's never given me a chance

> TO answer, the behavior issues, etc.

> He has an appointment with his pediatrician next Tuesday for a med check

> with his ADHD meds, and I thought I might bring up my concerns then. But I

> want to go in looking like I know what I'm talking about, instead of a

> parent who's just looking for attention for my child, or who has no idea.

> That's why I joined a few lists on yahoo. Hoping you guys might have some

> better info than what I've found, that can help me either totally say

> " nevermind, I was overreacting... " or to take with me to voice my concerns.

> And if he is autistic, to hopefully learn from parents who are more

> experienced, since we are just starting.

> Thanks for having me. :)

> --

> Tamika

>

Guest guest

Kim,

gave you a great post and I could not agree with her more!! Glad you found the group, best of luck to you and your daughter.~KristaJack's Mom, Jack is 23 months old, in his 1st brace from Shriners Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah

From: <kim221998yahoo (DOT) com>Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] New HereTo: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comDate: Wednesday, July 15, 2009, 7:00 PM

Hey everyone...I' m Kim...mom to 2 1/2 year old Destiny. She was diagnosed with infantile scoliosis shortly after her first birthday. They put her in a brace for a while to slow down the curving, but it didn't help much. Her last regular appointment she measured at 72 degrees. They were going to do the growing rod surgery on her but because she had problems with bumps on her eyes, they cancelled in. During the time waiting for her eyes to be fixed, she has not been in a brace as they did not prescribe a new one since she was scheduled for surgery, but it ended up taking several months to get anything done. Then one day I ran into her doctor(I work at the hospital) and he said he had sent her films to a doctor's conference a friend of his was attending and they all recommended casting. So we were referred to Children's Hospital in New Orleans(we live in Pensacola, FL). The doctor there believes her to be a great candidate for casting, but says the

casting table they have is to big for her, but he wants to attempt it anyway and just make adustments. So that's where we are now. Tomorrow she is scheduled for her first cast and I'm scared to death. I keep doubting that we made the right choice, but reading some of the stuff I've found online the past few days has been encouraging that maybe it is the right choice. I guess I've come here looking for some support, because this is all really stressing me out. Can't wait to get to know some of you and hear some of your experiences.

Kim

Find me online!

www.myspace. com/kim221998

www.twitter. com/kim221998

Guest guest

Hi Kim,

If you get a chance read Finn's story on the main ISOP page. I had all of the same feelings as you. Finn did not do well at all in a brace and I was so worried about the casting that I almost drove myself crazy. Casting has been great for Finn. I was terrified at first but he has had his cast for over a year and we don't even think about it anymore. We live in St Pete Florida and travel to Chicago for casting. Hope I didn't scare or anger you. I just feel strongly about casting.

From: <kim221998yahoo (DOT) com>Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] New HereTo: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comDate: Wednesday, July 15, 2009, 7:00 PM

Hey everyone...I' m Kim...mom to 2 1/2 year old Destiny. She was diagnosed with infantile scoliosis shortly after her first birthday. They put her in a brace for a while to slow down the curving, but it didn't help much. Her last regular appointment she measured at 72 degrees. They were going to do the growing rod surgery on her but because she had problems with bumps on her eyes, they cancelled in. During the time waiting for her eyes to be fixed, she has not been in a brace as they did not prescribe a new one since she was scheduled for surgery, but it ended up taking several months to get anything done. Then one day I ran into her doctor(I work at the hospital) and he said he had sent her films to a doctor's conference a friend of his was attending and they all recommended casting. So we were referred to Children's Hospital in New Orleans(we live in Pensacola, FL). The doctor there believes her to be a great candidate for casting, but says the

casting table they have is to big for her, but he wants to attempt it anyway and just make adustments. So that's where we are now. Tomorrow she is scheduled for her first cast and I'm scared to death. I keep doubting that we made the right choice, but reading some of the stuff I've found online the past few days has been encouraging that maybe it is the right choice. I guess I've come here looking for some support, because this is all really stressing me out. Can't wait to get to know some of you and hear some of your experiences.

Kim

Find me online!

Guest guest

Kim,

Welcome to CAST! This is an incredibly stressful time for a mother, we have all been there and we are with you.

I think has given you wonderful advice, and it's true, you must act quickly. Time is vital in harnessing growth spurts and you don't want to be with a doc you are not sure is doing this in the proper Mehta Method of EDF casting, with the right table. I would go to the ends of the earth to do this is I were you, if the doc you are going to is not Mehta trained. We are all here for you, please ask any and all questions! Heidi, Bexon's Mama, (2 years old, in 2nd cast from Salt Lake City Shriners, currently down from 61 degrees to 29)

Kim

Find me online!

Guest guest

The multiple surgeries starting at a young age are far more difficult in a lifelong sense than casting, if casting an option for your child. Have you watched the Mehta video? You can get it from ISOP.Heidi, Bexon's Mama, (2 years old, in 2nd cast from Salt Lake City Shriners, currently down from 61 degrees to 29)

Kim

Find me online!

Guest guest

I too had issues about whether or not this would change Jack's personality and I was very fearful about that. In my opinion every child is different and for every kid that you hear about running around right after the cast...my Jack at 15 months old did not do that. I did have some concerns about him being depressed. I shared this with my husband and his response was..." well would you rather have a depressed 15 month old that is NEVER going to remember this or a depressed 15 year old that will!!! As parents I think that we are always going to worry about their mental and physically health, that is our job, but we just have to weigh the pros and the cons and I have to say that yes casting is hard...but I would not change a THING about my son's treatment after 3 casts he is now measuring a ZERO!! His back/body/shoulders look beautiful/perfect in fact! We just can't get over it! Jack is now in a

brace and doing very well. You just hang in and do the very best you can. ~KristaJack's Mom, Jack is 23 months old, in his 1st brace from Shriners Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah

Kim

Find me online!

Guest guest

Kim,I know that casting seems horrible and I was not looking forward to it but it is so much better than the alternative.  From what I've heard, there are many risks and complications that can result from the surgeries.  Isabella is in her 1st cast and she was back to her normal happy self within a day.  Most of the people in this group say that it took their kids about 2 weeks to bounce back.  If she can be corrected while she's this young, she won't even remember going through all of it.  Hang in there, we are all here for you! Patty, mom of Isabella, 22 months old, in 1st cast (Rochester)To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:38:13 PMSubject: Re: New Here

Hi ,

He actually is a properly trained doctor and has been doing the casting for many years, just typically on children just a little bit bigger than my Destiny. The table they have is the correct one used for casting, but is not made for children her size.. They are in the process of having a smaller table built, but its not ready yet. He considered sending us to Chicago where they have a smaller table, but felt he could still do it. I'm honestly at a loss, because we are really not able to travel to far, so I feel like we don't have many options. I'm about sick with worry and its having a bad affect on my health. Casting just seems like a horrible horrible thing to do to a child, but none of the other options seem any better. Do other parents have these feelings too? It just doesn't feel right to me, but I keep telling myself that it has to be better than putting her through all those surgeries. I think what worries me the most is she won't

be my normal happy carefree little girl anymore....like it will change her somehow. When she was in the brace, it was literally like she was depressed. She cried and just sat around wanting to be held all the time. She would barely get up to walk or play or do anything. I don't want her to go back to that again. She's been without a brace for several months now and she's been so happy. I know she has to have help, but I hate doing that to her again. I'm very glad I found this group because its the only place I feel like I can really open up about how I feel. Thanks for any and all advice.

Kim

Find me online!

Kim

Find me online!

Guest guest

Just wanted to thank everyone for their support. This has been very difficult to deal with and I just got out of the hospital myself, so there's added stress in my life. As for the casting, I think my mind knows it's a better option than the alternatives, but my heart doesn't want to completely agree. I know it will be a tough adjustment, but I know we'll get through it, especially since I know where I can find support now. Thanks again.

Kim

Find me online!

www.myspace.com/kim221998

www.twitter.com/kim221998

Kim

Find me online!

Guest guest

I totally agree with Krista! Patty, mom of Isabella, 22 months old, in 1st cast (Rochester)To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:44:49 AMSubject: Re: New Here

I too had issues about whether or not this would change Jack's personality and I was very fearful about that.  In my opinion every child is different and for every kid that you hear about running around right after the cast...my Jack at 15 months old did not do that.  I did have some concerns about him being depressed.  I shared this with my husband and his response was..." well would you rather have a depressed 15 month old that is NEVER going to remember this or a depressed 15 year old that will!!!  As parents I think that we are always going to worry about their mental and physically health, that is our job, but we just have to weigh the pros and the cons and I have to say that yes casting is hard...but I would not change a THING about my son's treatment after 3 casts he is now measuring a ZERO!!  His back/body/shoulders look beautiful/perfect in fact!  We just can't get over it!  Jack is now in a

brace and doing very well.  You just hang in and do the very best you can. ~KristaJack's Mom, Jack is 23 months old, in his 1st brace from Shriners Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah

Kim

Find me online!