RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: High dose iodine - spectrum of experiences - tell your story

Rate this topic

Guest guest

cbwillis9 <cbwillis9@...> wrote: My own history echoes Cindi's here. Further, I was eatinga lot of high iodine foods such as meals of shrimp or crab,and salmon and spirulina that have a lot of selenium,in the month before I went into hashi crisis in 7/91 (ahashitoxicosis plus systemic bacterial infection from squirrelythyroid levels, antibodies not tested til late '94, old TSHreference ranges used). It took me about 13 years to putthe selenium factor into perspective, as another thyroid

kicker. It's on my list to get tested for Graves antibodiesas well. I tentatively suspect that the hashi people whohave the most difficulty with iodine might be the ones with bothhashi and graves' antibodies.As for all the folks with bad iodine experiences cowering inthe dark nooks and crannies of cyberspace, rationalizing they don't make a difference and no one would care anyway (not!), I urge you to COME FORTH and TELL YOUR STORY in the interestsof science. If you don't care about yourself, please DIG DEEPand FIND SOME COURAGE to tell your story if only for the sakeof others who may need to know. Help give the subject of highiodine the breadth, depth, and balance it deserves. If someone is so inclined to flame you for relating yourexperience, ignore em. We need the broad spectrumand diversity of experience.I'd like to hear from the 700 other people on this list whohaven't shared yet. Don't

write me privately, as I'll tellyou to take it to the list.Carol"cindi22595" <cindi22595@...> wrote:>> First of all, I have not appointed myself a Hashi's spokesperson. > I am only one Hashi's patient and have just my story. I am one who > has recovered from over 15 years of undiagnosed hypothyroidism. My > condition was severe. But with Armour and time, I have recovered > exceedingly well. To tell the truth, I consider the fact that I am > still alive a miracle. Doctors did not help me accomplish that > miracle. My research and sharing with other thyroid patients and my > common sense is what has enabled me to become a fully functioning > human being again. Iodine played no part in my miraculous recovery. > So I know one does not have to have iodine to recover from severe > Hashimoto's/hypothyroidism. > > Having realized that

doctors would have kept me sick (and probably > killed me off), I do not accept anything any doctor says without > careful consideration. And I have studied Browntein's Iodine book > as well as all the available literature on the subject. I was > interested. And what I find most often is that folks don't even > follow what the iodine docs have said. Repeatedly, I have had to > quote for folks the actual dosing information that they give. > Repeatedly I have had to remind folks that it is advised iodine > dosing be done under a doctor's care. I could go on and on. But I > think the saddest thing is that you discount my experience. Because > I'm one who is not afraid to speak up and share that iodine > supplementation is not for me. I believe Carol here has done that > too. But I also know others who have had a negative mega-dosing > iodine experience who have written to me that

they are afraid of > sharing their story because of being beat down (or just told to take > more!)> > So this is simple to me, . Bottom line, iodine supplementation > makes me feel sick. It makes others feel sick. We see no reason to > take something that makes us sick. In fact that sounds downright > stupid to me. I also have no conditions whatsoever that would > indicate I have any iodine deficiency. I am healthy. I am happy. > And I keep wondering why folks get mad and belligerent when i tell > my experience. > > If you are unwell...and iodine is making you well...I'm happy for > you. > > As for using the term "TSH near 0", you are mistaking me for someone > else. I have used the term "suppressive TSH therapy" and said that > an 80s edition of Werners and Ingbar lists that as a Hashi's > treatment. But I always speak about

optimization of Free levels and > elimination of hypo symptoms as goals of treatment. > > Cindi> > > > > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > What are your symtoms, with the iodine? I am taking 1 > iodoral > > > and > > > > > > having stomach ache from it...I was ok with 2 drps of > lugols, > > > but > > > > > > wondering what your symtoms being you have Hashi's?> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > __________________________________________________________> > > _______________> > > > Any questions? Get answers on any topic at > www.Answers.. > > > Try it now.> > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > __________________________________________________________> _______________> > Need Mail bonding?> > Go to the Q & A for great tips from Answers users.> > http://answers./dir/?link=list & sid=396546091>

>>

Finding fabulous fares is fun.Let FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains.

Guest guest

> My own history echoes Cindi's here. Further, I was eating

> a lot of high iodine foods such as meals of shrimp or crab,

> and salmon and spirulina that have a lot of selenium,

> in the month before I went into hashi crisis in 7/91 (a

> hashitoxicosis plus systemic bacterial infection from squirrely

> thyroid levels, antibodies not tested til late '94, old TSH

> reference ranges used). It took me about 13 years to put

> the selenium factor into perspective, as another thyroid kicker.

>

> It's on my list to get tested for Graves antibodies

> as well. I tentatively suspect that the hashi people who

> have the most difficulty with iodine might be the ones with both

> hashi and graves' antibodies.

>

> As for all the folks with bad iodine experiences cowering in

> the dark nooks and crannies of cyberspace, rationalizing

> they don't make a difference and no one would care anyway (not!),

> I urge you to COME FORTH and TELL YOUR STORY in the interests

> of science. If you don't care about yourself, please DIG DEEP

> and FIND SOME COURAGE to tell your story if only for the sake

> of others who may need to know. Help give the subject of high

> iodine the breadth, depth, and balance it deserves.

> If someone is so inclined to flame you for relating your

> experience, ignore em. We need the broad spectrum

> and diversity of experience.

>

> Hi Carol.....

My experience is a simple one. I took Kelp for six weeks @ 1 tsp.

per day. My basal temp dropped half a degree. I also had increased

fatigue. It stopped a day after I stopped the Kelp.

You mentioned selenium as part of what gave you a reaction...are

you saying that seleniums potential to potentiate iodine caused your

reaction to be stronger.........

Guest guest

" couvrette2002 " <paul.couvrette@...> wrote:

> You mentioned selenium as part of what gave you a reaction...are

> you saying that seleniums potential to potentiate iodine caused your

> reaction to be stronger.........

Selenium fosters production of T3, with or without iodine

supplementation, and aggravated my thyroid.

Mine seems to have a delicate balance

and is kept stable with 2 grains Armour, without

high iodine and selenium supplements. Everyone is a bit different

in this area.

Carol

Guest guest

At times I have both antibodies and other times I have one or the

other. I don't currently have problems taking iodine. Prior to this, I

had adrenal problems and could not take iodine w/o my heart beating

too fast. When I got my adrenals more under control, I was able to

take iodine.

jingles