Nutritious food is very necessary for a pregnant woman. A pregnant woman requires 80 thousand extra calories in order to give birth to a healthy child because around 300 additional calories are spent everyday during pregnancy, which is equal to the amount of calories present in a glassful of low fat milk, a bread slice, and an apple.
Calcium rich food should be taken during pregnancy. Calcium prevents high blood pressure in a pregnant woman. A woman should drink two to three glasses of low fat milk during pregnancy. She should take it before, during pregnancy and after delivery.
Cook rice or barley in milk instead of water to get sufficient amount of calcium. Eat calcium rich things, as during pregnancy 1000 mg of calcium is required everyday.
The pregnant woman should avoid constipation and therefore she should drink more water, as it is also beneficial for the child growing inside the womb. Drink at least eight glasses of water during the day. Drink water before and after meals. Skimmed milk or fruit juice is also beneficial.
A pregnant woman also requires iron during these days. She should take protein rich food, dry beans, green peas etc. Iron is difficult to add in the food but it is very important. Eat iron rich food as much as possible. Cook vegetables in iron pans and take, iron tablets etc.
Avoid fish, and meat during pregnancy, as it could be harmful for the child. Reduce tea and coffee or completely avoid it as it reduces the weight of the child and leads to several other problems.
Different types of meat contain bacteria called hysteria, which could be dangerous for the health of the child growing inside the womb.
Fat is useful only when it is prepared from pasteurized milk. The child growing inside the womb depends on the food intake of its mother. Do not eat such foods which will have an adverse affect on the child’s health in order to reduce the intake of carbohydrates. The child will not get sufficient nutrition. Eat green leafy vegetables and a variety of things during pregnancy to get all types of minerals and vitamins.
Anaemia During Pregnancy:
The hemoglobin level reduces in the blood, and brings down the oxygen level in the body causing a lady to feel fatigued. In addition to this, she remains stressed, irritable, restless, emotional, angry, has dry skin, dry hair and loss of concentration. The main reason for anemia is the absence of sufficient nutritional elements in the food necessary for the formation of blood. Half a cup of rice has 0.5 mg of iron and one-cup of milk has 0.1 mg iron. Whereas a woman loses 28 mg iron everyday during menstruation.
Food During Pregnancy:
A woman should choose pregnancy only when she is having good health. She should try to improve her digestive system. Take hot lemon water with honey, raw vegetables, especially carrot, cucumber, gourd, spinach, white gourd juice, vegetable juice, fruits, raisins, dry dates, vegetable soup. This improves the digestion process.
After Conceiving Food Should be as Follows:
Daily Routine During Pregnancy:
- Take lukewarm lemon water with honey or take a fruit or vegetable juice.
- Take four to five almonds and 20 to 25 gm raisins, three to four dry dates along with milk and half a cup of fruit (apple, papaya and pear etc.) at 9 a.m
- Take fruit juice or raw vegetable soup at noon.
- Take lunch at 1.30 p.m, which should include chapatti made with whole wheat flour, salad, vegetable, curd (yoghurt), etc. Take salad in good quantity.
- Take some fruit at 5 p.m or fruit juice or lukewarm lemon water with honey.
- Take vegetable soup at 7.30 p.m.
- Take lentils, vegetable, salad and one or two chapattis at 8 p.m or fruit and vegetable soup, and drink milk at bedtime. Take vegetable soup after a half hour of eating fruits.
- Take something in between if hungry, like fruits, juice, etc.
- Do not take tea or coffee, or take it only once daily.
- A woman should not take food in excess but it should be rich in vitamins and minerals, and nutritious.
The woman should be careful during pregnancy, as there are chances of miscarriage. She should take regular massage for hands and legs since laborious work is not possible.
A pregnant woman should always be happy and avoid tough work. She should avoid fast walking, lifting weight, standing for long hours, climbing up the stairs, jumping, cycling, dancing, swimming, etc. she can do some light household work.
To Beget a Healthy Child:
- The pregnant woman should take two oranges during afternoon from first to eighth month.
- She should take half to one-gram linseed vanshlochan powder at bedtime for the first three to four months once she is tested positive for pregnancy. This helps in begetting a healthy child and also helps her remain strong. It also avoids chances of miscarriage. The lady should eat vanshlochan as much as possible with sugar candy and coconut. It overcomes weakness during pregnancy and keeps the child healthy and disease free.
- The pregnant woman should chew aniseed daily after meals during the pregnancy.
- She should drink 60 gm fresh grape juice twice daily to make the child healthy and strong. The child will be beautiful and the mother will remain free of faints, giddiness, dental pain, cramps, swelling, acidity and constipation. She should take one myrobalan marmalade everyday to beget a healthy child. It also maintains good health of the mother.
Regular exercise is necessary after conceiving. It prevents miscarriage and also reduces labour pain.
Before pregnancy – Chakrasana, Paschimottasana, Yog Mudra, sputa Vajrasana, Shalabhasana, Dhanurasana, Hastpadotasana, Pavanmuktasana, Halasana, Sarvangasana, shalabhasana, Shavasana should be practiced to gain physical and mental health. Kapalbhati, Shitali, Nadi shodhan and Agnisar kriya should be practiced during this period.
After pregnancy – A pregnant woman can do exercise up to three to four months after conceiving, which include Paschimottasana, Ardhamatysendrasana, Vajrasana, Suptavajrasana, Hastpadotasana, Makarasana, Halasana for special benefit. Stop the practice of these asanas after three months and do light household work.